what are the FACTS on creatine? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

Sportbike: butter churn
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

what are the FACTS on creatine?

after reading some good things on this board and elsewhere, I'm thinking about adding creatine to my diet and workout regimen. I'm asking here because a lot of you guys are pretty knowledgeable *cough* BIGGY *cough* and can share experiences, etc.
I only want to gain lean mass, anything else I'm not interested in, (obviously diet is key here) will creatine help do this or also gain fat with muscle?
What formulation/brand should I look for?
How/when should it be taken in conjunction with high protein shakes and meals?
Should it be taken every day or only on lifting days?
Is loading and cycling use important?
What are the drawbacks and side affects?
Are gains while on creatine diminished if you stop taking it (assuming workouts and diet continue)?
what else should I know about creatine?
Are there other products that might help me achieve my goals more effectively? goals include continuing to increase muscle while reducing fat (which I've been doing successfully) but I have no plans of becoming the incredible hulk. Mostly concerned with strength and definition in the end, but still want to increase size at this point.

Thanks all

Kevin

Ask me how to get a free kick in the teeth!

Last edited by kc6; 01-10-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
thats a lot of questions.

pros:
-you'll have more energy in the gym, which leads to longer and more intense workouts
-immediate size difference

cons:
-the size change is mostly your muscles holding water
-you should cycle it since you dont want your body to stop its own production
-you need to take it even on off days, your body has to be trained to retain it or you'll just piss it out
-make sure you hydrate enough or you will get some muscle cramping

overall it works well. I use it with great results. be sure to cycle off it periodically. Get a good brand of 100% pure monohydrate and mix it with whatever you like, some people claim drinks with sugar help absorbsion but personally i've never noticed either way. Some people need to double the dosage in a 5 day loading phase to train their body to retain it, your mileage may vary. I take between 5-10gm a day when I'm using it.

Chris
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:54 PM

I'm not really going to promote any brands but I've used quite a few that don't cause your muscles to retain water. I've also noticed a lot of brands adding there own ingredients to make the muscle absorb it faster, usually a sugar or something with the same result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:58 PM

fyi, there's a place I found that has the best prices I've seen for supplements. What I've been doing is buying it online, and then bring the receipt to a local store and have it price matched. The website is bodybuildingoutlet.com, if anyone has any better prices let me know. btw, I've ordered from them quite a few times and the stuff isn't old or expired
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

dpsnutrition is where i order from. I've been pretty happy with prolab creatine.

Chris
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Sportbike: Honda F6B
Years Riding: Since 98
How you found us: Friend, Motobeagle-RIP

My expierience with Creatine was in the liquid form, the type you drip under your tongue. From this I learned that all it does is make your muscles retain more water so that you stay "pumped" longer. Since it makes your muscles retain water they are actually swollen so that the same rep actually takes less muscle movement to complete thus requiring less effort which in turn allows you to do a few more reps.

My opinion on gaining size and definition is its impossible. When gaining size you are loading up with protien and eating a ton to be sure your body has all the nutrients it needs to bulk up. Not only that when working for size and strength you do low reps with heavy weight as when trying to gain definition you do the exact opposite, low weight more reps. Personally I have worked on strength all winter and have started doing more reps and cardio to lose the fat I gained. Most of the guys I talk to at the gym work on strength and size over the winter and dedicate the spring and summer to definition, its when your body will be seen the most so it makes sense if thats your goal.
I drink protein shakes before and after my work out and on none work out days I try to consume more protien and less carbs.

The truth is no matter what you drink you have to be dedicated. It takes time before you notice anthing visually and if you really are serious you'll work every muscle group twice a week. I've been dedicated for about a year now and to my eyes I look pretty much the same, but I am definetly stronger. I also buy Muscle and Fitness every other month so I can pick up new excersices and read up on latest tricks. From this months issue I pulled an excellent bicep program, learned to use the smith machine for isolated back row and found out that coconut water is better than gatorade.

Good luck
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 03:06 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
I've tried a few different brands. My favorite was phosphagenHP (sp?) from EAS

I saw major gains in both size and strength.
when I would cycle off, I didn't lose the weight or strength.
then another jump up during the next loading phase.

drawbacks: cost, which is why I quit taking it.
the cramping issue. ever had cramps in your rib muscles or your face? good times.
finally, I drank so much water when I used it that I had to piss constantly.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
dpsnutrition is where i order from. I've been pretty happy with prolab creatine.
you da man!!!
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Bring it on!!!!

If you really want to blow up look into this "No2 Hemodilator". My friend took this for a month and went from monkey skinny to stocky. Its expensive though.

http://www.musclebod.net/no2.htm
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

Quote:
pros:
-you'll have more energy in the gym, which leads to longer and more intense workouts

cons:
-you need to take it even on off days, your body has to be trained to retain it or you'll just piss it out

overall it works well. I use it with great results. be sure to cycle off it periodically. Get a good brand of 100% pure monohydrate and mix it with whatever you like, some people claim drinks with sugar help absorbsion but personally i've never noticed either way. Some people need to double the dosage in a 5 day loading phase to train their body to retain it, your mileage may vary. I take between 5-10gm a day when I'm using it.
so the size increase is essentially artificial since your muscles are retaining more water, correct? and from what gas guzzler said it sounds like your muscles are fatigued less due to the excess water, but you want muscle fatigue in order for them to grow. For a competing athlete, the reduced fatigue is a plus. For someone like myself, looking for real gains in tissue size and strength, it doesn't sound like all its cracked up to be.

Kevin

post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

it is though. it works well.

get it, its cheap. use it right.

Chris
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Cruiser convert

Sportbike: 2015 Harley Street Bob
Years Riding: 15
How you found us: yahoo search

I love the pride nutrition line of products. They are located in addison, IL, I think? They have a website at pridenutrition.com. They have an NO2 formula as well as some other products. I get mine at the GNC in Tinley Park. I dont think that all GNC's carry it, just Tinley Pk. They offer you a better price there than directly on the web. I have used their fat burner, the NO2, and the protein. All top notch quality with great effects. Worth a try, I have never had anyone try it and tell me that they didn't like the effects.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Naperthrill Drama major

Sportbike: rc51... i like twins.
Years Riding: since i was like 5
How you found us: kc50

Quote:
thats a lot of questions.

pros:

cons:

taking it with sugar helps by getting the natural insulin in your body to take it right to the muscle for energy and storage. it does need to be stacked at first. and make sure it is a brand that dillutes well cause if it doesnt you wont get a full result.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

There is no substitute for a consistent routine. Showing up 3-5 times a week is all you need. Forget the creatine. Just get to the gym, follow your routine and eat as much quality food as you can scarf down.

If you want fast, artificial results there is only one answer--JUICE.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:37 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy
There is no substitute for a consistent routine. Showing up 3-5 times a week is all you need. Forget the creatine. Just get to the gym, follow your routine and eat as much quality food as you can scarf down.
+111111!!1!1!!!!1

I'll never understand why people concentrate on health and fitness so much, yet are willing to take all these artifical supplements that haven't been around long enough for us to see what long-term effects they have on the body.

I'm off to the gym right now, with just a water bottle and some patience.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 you tell them Jon.

I guess I'm old school in more than one way....the only thing I do is take a multi-vitamin everyday. I rotate my workouts and weeks, heavy one week little another the next, and each work out a different routine. The natural lifters will always be "smaller" but will always in the long run be healthier. I lift, watch what I eat, and workout to stay healthier and increased endurance.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

Quote:

who's looking for a substitute or artificial results? In the last 4 months I've totally changed my life. cardio 6-7 times per week for an hour per day. weight training 3-5 days per week. I only consume healthy, high quality foods. Since mid september I've lost 40 pounds of body weight. Since mid november I've been monitoring body fat percentage which has gone down roughly 12%, while I've gained a good 12 pounds of lean mass, just in these last 8 weeks alone. No substitute necessary, I'm putting in the work and loving it.
I'm learning about creatine, maybe its for me, maybe it isn't. Regarless, I'm improving every day

Kevin

post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

what a joke. i have shirts that have spent more time in the gym than most people on the board. I know what I'm talking about, and I noted that individual results vary in my post. Next time there is a thread asking for opinions on stuff people know nothing about about you guys feel free to chime in, till then try to stay on topic.

Chris

Last edited by Vcook; 01-11-2006 at 10:11 PM.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 11:11 PM
yo quiero su taco

Quote:
what a joke. i have shirts that have spent more time in the gym than most people on the board. I know what I'm talking about, and I noted that individual results vary in my post. Next time there is a thread asking for opinions on stuff people know nothing about about you guys feel free to chime in, till then try to stay on topic.

Jeez us. lol

Ok, I'll stay on topic. The facts about creatine are it is a waste of money. Kev if you have achieved the results you have achieved without creatine, the only thing adding creatine to your workout is going to do is cause you ligament and tendon damage, possible liver damage, and over trained muscles.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 01-11-2006 at 11:14 PM.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 11:38 PM

Talking Check me out

Eat right, exercise, drink lots of water (regardless of working out) and have lots of sex.
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Jeez us. lol

Ok, I'll stay on topic. The facts about creatine are it is a waste of money. Kev if you have achieved the results you have achieved without creatine, the only thing adding creatine to your workout is going to do is cause you ligament and tendon damage, possible liver damage, and over trained muscles.

Once again +1. Kevin, stick with what your doing, it's working. Creatine save that for the "bulkers".

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Bring it on!!!!

Quote:

+2
There is no substitute for hard work but suppliments can help you get the full benefit of your workout by providing nutrients to replenish and restore your muscles so you can be strong for your next workout. Protiens are also needed for muscle building so if your on a program to get stronger it helps when you cant eat four steaks a day. They also help when your schedule doesn't allow you to eat properly before your workout. If your going to the gym for an hour to workout at 5:30 pm your lunch from noon isn't gonna do shit for you.

If your patient a good diet and dedicated attitude you can achieve your goals, some people just don't have the natural attributes to achieve those goals so they go to suppliments. Just bust your ass and read up on the best way to lift and eat.

Good luck.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

My biggest regret is that I spent so many years in the gym without supplementing. Protein is a given, creatine is a personal choice. I like the extra gear it gives me at the end of sets. Like clicking into 6th when you thought you already were.

Also, creatine is hardly a bulking tool. I love how people talk about "accidentally" getting too big in the gym. I've never known anyone that didnt either juice or have freaky genetic makeup that would "accidentally" get too big.

Chris
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:

+1.

Creatine does work as do many other supplements, but it only works a little bit. Creatine is cheap, but it never really worked that much for me, regardless of quantity or quality.

If you really want results, juice is the best investment. NOTE: I am not promoting steriods!! Just saying they are the best bang for the buck.

In the past, I would try every supplement (legal suppliment!) I could find and would spend a fortune for a little result. That's the issue a lot of us (or maybe just me!) have, it is easier to spend money on the "latest" suppliment than time and effort in the gym and discipline with the diet.

Now, I know the secret. Just lift hard and heavy and often and eat lots of quality food. Suppliment with a good quality protein shake when you can't eat real food and throw in a multiple vitamin/mineral.

If you got more money to spend, spend it on suppliments...just don't believe all the hype in the ads. If you want something that delivers on what the suppliment ads promise, it's called juice.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975

Last edited by ronhix; 01-12-2006 at 08:32 AM.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:34 AM

This thread is going to why and what are your goals for lifting. The "bulkers" lift for total different reasons, than why I lift. So it comes down to two different camps...the bulkers and the "others". IMHO "bulkers" are always looking for some "miracle" supplement so when they hit the beach on Spring Break, they can fall in love with themselves all over again. The "others" lift to fight the ravages of aging, increase endurance and have an edge in some other activity they are involved in. I lift because if I my make upper body look bigger, it makes my waist look smaller, muscles burn fat, so I can go back to my favorite activites, eating and riding. I prefer my lifting to be natural and healthy, so I'll stick to a good diet and a good workout, and I'll be doing it long after spring break is over

post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
This thread is going to why and what are your goals for lifting. The "bulkers" lift for total different reasons, than why I lift. So it comes down to two different camps...the bulkers and the "others". IMHO "bulkers" are always looking for some "miracle" supplement so when they hit the beach on Spring Break, they can fall in love with themselves all over again. The "others" lift to fight the ravages of aging, increase endurance and have an edge in some other activity they are involved in. I lift because if I my make upper body look bigger, it makes my waist look smaller, muscles burn fat, so I can go back to my favorite activites, eating and riding. I prefer my lifting to be natural and healthy, so I'll stick to a good diet and a good workout, and I'll be doing it long after spring break is over
Yea, yea whatever. Throw some weight on that bar and push!

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Rick..you are HUGE.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Bring it on!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz
Rick..you are HUGE.

Watch what you say, he is also a practitioner of Capoeira, the Brazilian martial art of dance-fighting.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:21 AM
yo quiero su taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasguzzler
Watch what you say, he is also a practitioner of Capoeira, the Brazilian martial art of dance-fighting.

I thought he was a practioner of Capoeiro, the Brazilian art of waxing.

Quote:
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:19 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
if you guys eat meat, you're taking creatine.

fucking bulkers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode