Tendinitis in the Elbow - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
Tendinitis in the Elbow

I have been bulking over the winter and going heavier. I am now at 233lbs up from 207lbs. But it hasn't been without a price. So my elbow has been hurting for the past couple of months. Last weekend when i was working arms my elbow was killing me during all tricep workouts but like an idiot i pushed through. Now I have a little fluid on my elbow. I have still been lifting this week with my elbow wrapped and going a little lighter. It seems all good and I haven't been stressing my elbow much. I will be skipping triceps this week as well.

My question is, does anyone know if this fluid on my elbow will just eventually get absorbed or do I need to get it drained?

And are there any negatives to delaying the getting drained process? I don't have an orthopedic surgeon at the moment.

Thanks ahead of time.

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Waiting for the Autobahn

Sportbike: 2004 CRF230F
Years Riding: 4 yrs
How you found us: Google

Have the same problem

Go to the doc and get a presecription for an anti-inflammatory. After a few days you should be fine, but you need to take some time out to let it heal properly, otherwise it will just keep coming back. Tendons don't heal like muscles.

P.S. I used to think people with carpal tunnel syndrome were pussies...until I got tendinitis myself! Well...maybe I'm a pussy too.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_sv650
Go to the doc and get a presecription for an anti-inflammatory. After a few days you should be fine, but you need to take some time out to let it heal properly, otherwise it will just keep coming back. Tendons don't heal like muscles.

P.S. I used to think people with carpal tunnel syndrome were pussies...until I got tendinitis myself! Well...maybe I'm a pussy too.
How long did you have to take off? I figure as long as i don't concentrate on triceps for a while i should be good. Cause I don't feel the strain when i do chest back biceps or shoulders...and ofcourse no strain during legs.

-Heesh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Also I have heard of an anti inflamatory called mobick (sp?) I heard that should do the work. Ibuprofen hasn't done a thing.

-Heesh

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

You need to take time off, or you will just make it worse. It doesn't have to be drained to get better. Now I'm obviously not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I've gone through this before. Wait until the swelling goes down and all the pain goes away, then start your pressing movements again. This could be as long as a month. Bench press may not hurt while you're doing it, but it still puts a ton of stress on the elbows. Time off isn't counterproductive either, for bulking...sometimes a few weeks off is the best thing you can do.

What does your routine look like for triceps? They really don't need a ton of direct work to grow. They'll be taking a hit from all your compound pressing movements, such as military press or any of the bench press exercises. At most, you should only be doing 2 direct tricep exercises. French press and overhead tricep extensions are notorious for killing elbows. If you're going heavy on these exercises, I can see why your elbow hurts. For triceps, the only direct work I put on them is through close grip bench press, and they are always growing.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:25 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
how much is a "little" fluid?

if it turns out to be bursitis and not tendonitis, it could get pretty nasty without treatment. nasty as in a grapefruit sized ball of fluid hanging from your elbow.

I've struggled w/ elbow tendonitis and a bad rotator cuff in my right arm for years. when the pain flares up I just moderate the tricep and shoulder exercises like Jim said above. the normal chest exercises will work the other muscle groups enough that you won't see a backslide in size/strength.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
i think they call that jager-itus

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
Yea my Dad had the same thing... he just went to the doc and they drained it, and gave him some pills and he was bright as rain a week later....
Not sure if you take time off if it'll just go away and not come back? I would imagine it would... but I don't really know, never had it. I know it's painful.... good luck!

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:42 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

My usual remedy for over working out and screwing up a joint is about one month off from those workouts that involve that joint and pop some vioxx that I got before it was pulled from the market. Also try to find a work around for the motion that screwed it up in the first place. Skullcrushers are a real bitch on the elbows, I never do them anymore.

Under200
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
If you do get it drained, this is my experience.

Allow 2-3 weeks to see if the fluid gets absorbed. If it does not, be sure the area is prepped properly. Betadine in circular motions from the prepped aspiration site outward. Then rubbing alcohol on the aspiration site. Once the aspiration begins, if they have to get another syringe, be sure they have it ready to go. If they remove the syringe w/ the needle still in your elbow, there will be an open airway into your body. This increases the risk of infection.

I only say all this because I was a bit impatient w/ fluid on my knee and had it aspirated. Well, the doc didn't quite use aseptic technique and I wound up in the hospital w/ a staph infection for 3 days and a pic line in my arm w/ a month of antibiotics.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

I had a similar condition, it was brusitis (sp?) imflammation of the bursa (sp?) I bought a tennis elbow wrap to relieve the pressure while I lifted it took care of it + I was using Vioxx
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck21
how much is a "little" fluid?

if it turns out to be bursitis and not tendonitis, it could get pretty nasty without treatment. nasty as in a grapefruit sized ball of fluid hanging from your elbow.

I've struggled w/ elbow tendonitis and a bad rotator cuff in my right arm for years. when the pain flares up I just moderate the tricep and shoulder exercises like Jim said above. the normal chest exercises will work the other muscle groups enough that you won't see a backslide in size/strength.
actually the fluid has gone down and is almost completely gone. That is a huge relief. Yeah I am going lighter now and keeping the strain off of my elbow as much as possible.

-Heesh

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
You need to take time off, or you will just make it worse. It doesn't have to be drained to get better. Now I'm obviously not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I've gone through this before. Wait until the swelling goes down and all the pain goes away, then start your pressing movements again. This could be as long as a month. Bench press may not hurt while you're doing it, but it still puts a ton of stress on the elbows. Time off isn't counterproductive either, for bulking...sometimes a few weeks off is the best thing you can do.

What does your routine look like for triceps? They really don't need a ton of direct work to grow. They'll be taking a hit from all your compound pressing movements, such as military press or any of the bench press exercises. At most, you should only be doing 2 direct tricep exercises. French press and overhead tricep extensions are notorious for killing elbows. If you're going heavy on these exercises, I can see why your elbow hurts. For triceps, the only direct work I put on them is through close grip bench press, and they are always growing.

basically i do arms on saturdays. tricep portion consisted of push downs, skull crushers (this was what did me in), and then either over the head extensions or kick backs.

as i noted above the skull crushers are what did me in. I stayed away from those today and i will continue to in the future. I will substitue in narrow bench. the others aren't too bad as long as i keep it controlled and i minimize the motion till the elbow gets to 100% again.

-Heesh

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy
i think they call that jager-itus
I kid you not it has hindered my jacking off performance as well. Thank god we were created with two hands. or i would have to get creative....

-Heesh

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
If you do get it drained, this is my experience.

Allow 2-3 weeks to see if the fluid gets absorbed. If it does not, be sure the area is prepped properly. Betadine in circular motions from the prepped aspiration site outward. Then rubbing alcohol on the aspiration site. Once the aspiration begins, if they have to get another syringe, be sure they have it ready to go. If they remove the syringe w/ the needle still in your elbow, there will be an open airway into your body. This increases the risk of infection.

I only say all this because I was a bit impatient w/ fluid on my knee and had it aspirated. Well, the doc didn't quite use aseptic technique and I wound up in the hospital w/ a staph infection for 3 days and a pic line in my arm w/ a month of antibiotics.

Doc
yeah i wanted to stay away from the draining option but the fluid is almost gone so i should be good to go. Thanks for the advice though!

-Heesh

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread again. I appreciate the advice. I will try to implement all of it.....short of the vioxx ofcourse....

-Heesh

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 10:01 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Were you doing skull crushers with dumbbells or a bar? The movement is a bit more natural with dumbbells because you can keep your palms facing in, and it takes a bit of the stress off the elbows.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
CLSB Pimpologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
Were you doing skull crushers with dumbbells or a bar? The movement is a bit more natural with dumbbells because you can keep your palms facing in, and it takes a bit of the stress off the elbows.
it was will the bent curl bar. i will try with the dumbells if my elbow gets better. Thanks.

-Heesh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode