Q's for runners - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '04 yz250f
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: search engine

Q's for runners

To all the runners out there, what should i do to run faster without putting a lot more effort. Any tips, how should I position my feet, move my arms, etc. Anything will help. I have about two weeks, during that time I have to shave about 45 sec which is according to my treadmeter about 0.5 mph.
Should I start swimming to increase my lungs capacity?
Thanks for help, as this is very important to me please don't bs too much
THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:04 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I don't know about changing your arm or foot position, but do what feels most natural when running.

To help increase your VO2 capacity I suggest interval training. If you're not familiar with that its where you run as fast as you can for 1 minute, depleting your O2 blood levels. Then you jog for 1-2 minutes and let them replenish, then run really hard for another minute. Keep doing this for 30-45 minutes. Do this no more than twice a week and after a couple of weeks you'll see quite a difference

This is what I do to help train for high altitude mountaineering.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:07 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Well, the best way to increase speed is to build up endurance. So, there's no substitute for hard work. If you're running say, an 8k race, you need to be able to complete one 10k non-stop training run at least four different times before an event (Not in one session). After that, you'll find that the increased speed comes more naturally.

Another way is to start increasing the 'hills' portion of your workout. Hills build strength, which help speed as well. So, if you can combine the longer runs with added hills (don't go crazy, only an exta 2-3% incline here and there is all you need for Chicago-area races) you'll increase speed as well.

Finally, all your workouts should finish with the last 1/2 mile or 1/4 mile (depending on your endurance) faster than what you started with. Again, don't go nutso or you risk damage to muscles/ligaments, 10-15% increase at the end will give you an idea of how long/fast you can comfortably 'push'.

Then, when it comes to race time, you should be all set.

By the way, I originally tried to 'find' the 1/2 mile marker in a given race, but a better way is to time yourself, and if you're running 10 minute miles in a five mile race, then the 45 minute mark is the time to start your increasing speed and the moment you can see that finish line (or its banners) start hauling.

Good luck!

*** This advice is not medically sound.
*** only based on my experience and reading lots and lots of articles
*** Quitting smoking now greatly increases your speed, unless its cigars
*** Your Mileage May Vary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
I think I need to be more specific here
I have to run 1.5 mile in 12:30 min. , currently Iam at 12:00 exactly which is 7.5 mph on an even surface on a treadmill. I've kept this pace for about a month or so now. I'll take the test also on a flat surface but not on a treadmil. I would like to build in extra time cushion for my own peace of mind.
I spend 40 minutes on treadmill about 3-4xweek, stairs 1-2 days and then the bike when my knees get tired.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoytekNT
Thanks
I have to run 1.5 mile in 12:30 min. , currently Iam at 12:00 exactly which is 7.5 mph on an even surface on a treadmill. I've kept this pace for about a month or so now. I'll take the test also on a flat surface but not on a treadmil. I would like to build in extra time cushion for my own peace of mind.
I spend 40 minutes on treadmill about 3-4xweek, stairs 1-2 days and then the bike when my knees get tired.
get off the treadmill and run outside is my advice. It's tougher, especially if you have to run at night or dusk like I usually do. Chills' interval advice is pretty good, I use speed training once a week. I use either 30 or 60 seconds running, then double that time walking. I do at least 10 sets of that. Lately I've been adding in an additional 15 or so minutes of running, but that's mearly calorie burning. I don't know much about you, but shaving weight is a good way to drop time off running. I shaved close to a minute off my two mile run by dumping 20 pounds about 5 years ago (which has since came back).

Try and find a track outside to run on so you can time yourself. But if you HAVE to use a treadmill, kick up the speed to about 8mph, and keep that pace for 2 miles. Keep a mental note of when you pass 1-1/2 miles, but keep running past that to build endurance. You want to be tired, but not almost passed out.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM

Some of the advice so far is fine, but you don't have time for training. Things that you can work on to improve your running in the short period of time would be working on your breathing and also the way you run. For example waisting energy. When running your arms will move in sequence with your stride (legs). Don't pump your arms or clinch your fists. Ideally you should have your elbows bent and your forarms parallel to the ground. When running your arms should glide along with your hands relaxed. You should not be able to sprint when you see the end. If this is the case you did not pace yourself correctly. One thing you could also try is pace someone that is a faster runner than yourself. Don't go to gunho and try to pace some one that is way faster you may burn yourself out to quickly. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM

+1 on the interval training and going outside (weather permitting).

If you can, find a track. Warm up for 5 min. Then, push yourself hard for 1 lap, then cruise at what is a normal running pace for 3-4 laps. Try to repeat this pattern 3-5 times, depending on how you feel. If no track, just substitute "minute" for "lap" and it'll achieve the same effect.

You can also add in a few real short full-out sprints at the end of one of your workouts for that added leg burn. If you need the ability to sprint at the end of this upcoming test run, it might help.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advices.
I'll be testing april 1st.
I'll keep you posted
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:48 PM
SV650N

+1 on the losing weight part, but with only two weeks to go, you're not gonna benefit much from it. Protein will be key to help you out. Rest days are JUST as important, so don't overtrain (overstrain) yourself, especially since you're already well within the target range. As a bonus, don't forget adrenaline is a nice speed kicker as well, so once you're running this timed trial, you'll be mr.jackrabbit just fine!

good luck, and may the wind always be at your back.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

weight is not a problem, I think 6'2" @190lbs I'll try to drop a few more pounds
Adrenaline drinks and such don't go well with me. I love red bull but I can't have any before running or any other cardio workout.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:29 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

There are a lot of ways to run faster over distance just by efficient positioning. Although for something as short as 1.5 miles, that really doesn't come into play.

I know somebody already said it, but your best bet is to drop weight, add muscle, and increase lung capacity. I don't think you'll be able to do any of these in 2 weeks, other than dropping weight.

HIIT also works wonders for distances shorter than a few miles. If you've never done it before, you can see a great cut in your times within a few weeks. Bump your 1.5 mile distance up to 2 miles. Sprint your ass off for 30 seconds, then go to a slow jog or walk for 30 seconds, sprint your ass off again and repeat the cycle. 30 seconds is probably too short of a rest for you to handle, you can bump it up to a minute. Cut a few seconds off of the rest time every day. Eventually you cut the rest down to nothing, and you're running at a much quicker pace and significantly shortening your overall time.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:30 PM
SV650N

No, I meant Natural Adrenaline, what your own body produces.
As in "I'm going to WIN this race!"
As in what keeps miguel duhamel in the race, even after crashing at 80mph!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaro4
Some of the advice so far is fine, but you don't have time for training. Things that you can work on to improve your running in the short period of time would be working on your breathing and also the way you run. For example waisting energy. When running your arms will move in sequence with your stride (legs). Don't pump your arms or clinch your fists. Ideally you should have your elbows bent and your forarms parallel to the ground. When running your arms should glide along with your hands relaxed. You should not be able to sprint when you see the end. If this is the case you did not pace yourself correctly. One thing you could also try is pace someone that is a faster runner than yourself. Don't go to gunho and try to pace some one that is way faster you may burn yourself out to quickly. Hope this helps.
Good advice here. It's easier said than done. One of your best bets to actually implement some of the advice from this thread is to ask someone who is a runner. By actually observing your form it could be very clear, very quickly, what you may want to work on changing. It should not only be a runner, but one with good knowledge. That too is easier said than done
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Right easier said than done since I don't know any runners. However, CLSB never fails (so far) .
I don't have much time to make major changes, I was looking for some things that I can adjust right now. I'm confident I'll make it, but I don't want to just make it. In fact i know I'll make it, there is just no other option for me.
Great Thanks to you all good people.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:53 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaro4

+1

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Is this for a police test?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
I use to run cross country in college. Great advice so far.

Watch your upper body when you run. Don't make fists as that is just wasted energy. Loosen up your grip if you are and your arms should move with you as you run, so you are using your momentum to help push you forward. You should be light on your feet, focusing your energy on propelling forward and not hopping as it is more wasted energy. Pace is very important. You are better off going at a constant pace rather than fast, slow, fast and slower.

And finally, stretching out and warming up is important. Get a good warmup in, breaking into a sweat and then allow yourself to cool down. You will run faster with a proper warmup.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
Is this for a police test?
yes
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:24 PM

You don't have to put up an incredible time...you'll be surprised how many people fail.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoytekNT
Thanks
I have to run 1.5 mile in 12:30 min. , currently Iam at 12:00 exactly which is 7.5 mph on an even surface on a treadmill.
It's a pass/fail test... You don't get any more points if you do it faster than anyone else. Unless they changed the power test recently. If you pass the power, you move to the next section of the list creating process.

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Watch your posture. Make sure your hips are under your back that way you don't fight your body. Put a little sprint in with your runs. On a treadmill crank it for 1-2 min then back to your pace. On a track or street sprint a lap or block then back to your pace. Do one or two runs a week like this. That is how I cut my times down in the Army when you need points for a promotion and evals. This is for a 2 mile run at a 14:30 pace. I have not seen that in many moons but I am overweight and old and still clock in at 17:00 16:30 on a good day. I don't have many good days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
It's a pass/fail test... You don't get any more points if you do it faster than anyone else. Unless they changed the power test recently. If you pass the power, you move to the next section of the list creating process.
Yes I know, I have taken this before and passed it (easily did it in 11miutes) but had to drop out of the process for personal reasons.
True it is pass/fail but I want to finish first, personal ambitions, testing, pushing myself to do better. Obviously if you know how to run properly, executing right moves, steps makes it easier.

Again, thanks for the great responses, advices, hopefuly I'll be able to return the favor if such need comes up. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode