calories = pounds - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
calories = pounds

What's the formula for calculating how many calories burned to equal pounds of body weight. For example, I consume 1700 calories a day, but I exercise and burn 2100 in a day. What's the magic number of calories to pounds?

(I'm too lazy to google it)

Thanks

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:39 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

1lb = 3500 or 3600 calories. It's one or the other, can't remember. Either will be close enough to guesstimate with.

If you really want to see what kind of calories you're taking in and burning, try out www.fitday.com. It's free.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
3500 = 1 lb

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
First, Welcome back Jeff....firt of all.

Second, the pound to calorie thing always confused me. Especially when you get older, your calorie requirement should drop, shouldn't it So, if you require 2200 calories a day at 18 *that's an example, I have no idea what the number is) you don't need that many when your in your mid 40's, do you.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:11 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

It depends, everyone is different. Some people might need 3000 calories a day to stay at the same weight, some might only need 1500. As to calories by age, that I'm not too sure about. We all still have the same organs that need the same calorie requirements...but a younger person that's still growing would definitely need more. And as always, the less active you are, the less calories you will need.

The only real way to figure out what you need on a daily basis is to plot every single thing you eat everyday for a few weeks, and weigh yourself everyday. If the weight goes up or down, then you know if you're short or high on calories. It's actually harder to do than it sounds, to get a good estimate you would have to eat almost the identical foods everyday and do the same activities as well.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

VCook .....

Actually you are right about the calorie reduction deal..... as you age your muscle mass becomes somewhat smaller, it's your muscle mass that is promarily resposible for burning calories.... the rest is just a math problem.

Good point on the vaired nature of peoples bodies, plus or minus a few hundred calories +/- 20% or so.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:19 AM

I was going to start a new thread about this but its related so here it goes.......... I'm dieting and slowly getting back to my exercising (I'm just not as intense or as heave as I used to be). Is there a way to lose weight (fat) but still consume enough to help with the recovery and growth of muscle?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibit
I was going to start a new thread about this but its related so here it goes.......... I'm dieting and slowly getting back to my exercising (I'm just not as intense or as heave as I used to be). Is there a way to lose weight (fat) but still consume enough to help with the recovery and growth of muscle?
Yes and no. You will always burn both. When you cut fat, your body will naturally want to cut muscle as well. Or when you gain muscle, you will also gain fat but usually not initially. This means that you will work much harder (generally) if you want to keep yourself out of proportion. For some this comes naturally though so I can't always say that. Best thing to do is to simply always combine both weights and cardio into a workout. Wanna burn less muscle in a workout? Eat some protein before...but then remember that you will also burn less fat. There's always a compromise. Idea is this though.

Your cardio should be at a medium pace. If you go hauling ass down the street there is no way your body can use fat for energy that quickly. Let me see if I can explain why that is by being as vague as possible Fat is bigger than sugar or protein or consider that there is more packed into it. For example 1g of protein or 1g of carbs is equal to 4 calories. 1g of fat is equal to 9 calories. So to answer the original question, the amount of calories depends on where those calories are coming from. Now fat is generally LCT's or MCT's (long or medium chain triglicerides). LCT's are more difficult for the body to burn. That's a good thing. It means it takes longer. Which means that when you're starving that your fuel will go longer. But this also means that you have to go through a longer workout with medium paced cardio to actually tap into that fat burn. Remember your body will usually burn through it's glycongen stores first because it's the most readily available energy.

Only other comparison I can give is...take a sheet of paper and throw it in a fire place (represents carbs). It will burn very quickly right? Now take 2 sheets of paper and crumple them up nice and tight together (representing fat)...they will burn longer than the single uncrumpled sheet right? So when you need fire fast and fire now...body goes for carbs. Want a longer, not as big fire...then fat is what will be burned.

There is one more tid bit which people do and seem to get good results (which they will) The Atkins diet and other extreme diets which tinker with how the body treats what you intake. Those are horrid, don't do that crap. Atkins and all of the other extreme diets are as good for you as doing top speed through rush hour.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
There is one more tid bit which people do and seem to get good results (which they will) The Atkins diet and other extreme diets which tinker with how the body treats what you intake. Those are horrid, don't do that crap. Atkins and all of the other extreme diets are as good for you as doing top speed through rush hour.
Yea that shit can mess you up... my Dad was on it... didn't do anything good for him.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/03/16....ap/index.html Just a lil read on it today... thought i'd add it in.

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:40 AM

I suppose you could consider it Atkins but I've mainly tried to cut out red meat and increase the fish, turkey, and chicken intake (boiled eggs if I need a snack). I've taken out pop completely and limited my caffeine intake (which generally increased my water intake). I donít add any sugar or salt to anything. Iíve increased my intake of green vegetables and started eating a limited amount of fruit. I used to eat a couple of large meals a day. Now Iíve been eating like a mad man every 2-3 hours (very small portions). Iíve noticed my energy during the day is through the roof but at night I have a hard time sleeping. I keep waking up every couple of hours (is it because my body thinks its time to eat?) My first meal is between 5:30-6 in the morning and my last is around 4-5.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:35 AM

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

BIGGY - What kind of monkey wrench does having estrogen throw into the mix of weight-lifting as a part of a weight-loss exercise regimin? I've heard some things...

At regarding Adkins - everyone I've known that's done it has gained a ton of weight later on...

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

A decent approach.....

You can eat as late as 8 or so as long as you give it a couple hours before bed to digest... one last bump to the metabolism.

Your body needs protien to burn fat.... so adequate amounts of lean protien are important to avoid excessive loss of muscle mass as the body will consume fat and muscle in the absence of an adequate supply of protien.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Remeber, exercise also boosts your metabloism.

Tom

T2
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
BIGGY - What kind of monkey wrench does having estrogen throw into the mix of weight-lifting as a part of a weight-loss exercise regimin? I've heard some things...

At regarding Adkins - everyone I've known that's done it has gained a ton of weight later on...
Estrogen...well there's other things when we look at the difference in genders. Womens muscles are different and will simply not grow like mens. Women have a tendency to tone, rather than bulk up. Part of that is due to estrogen.

Iíll let everyone in a little secret of the industry since this is sort of on topic. Any of you guys ever read on a bottle the increase in testosterone from this product or that one? I think the mineral boron used to be sold as a testosterone booster. The one small detail that the folks at the companies left out was the fact that the tests were done on post-menopausal women whoís testosterone will increase naturally. They happen to have a testosterone increase and they happen to be taking boron or any other productÖand their levels are up. This is done aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. Want to make your protein shake more effective? Give it to someone whoís fat and never worked out. The biggest gains in muscle and reduction in fat are when you first start working outÖso when they take your protein shake it looks like itís the shake thatís doing it. So the results of products are technically trueÖthey just leave out how they set up the trial, but thatís all details
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

I was told that with women, there's a period of time in the weight-lifting with cardio period in the beginning where they don't lose any weight at all (the period I'm always in ). I heard that women actually get larger at first, and then the fat burns happens later (I heard this from someone recently).

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
I was told that with women, there's a period of time in the weight-lifting with cardio period in the beginning where they don't lose any weight at all (the period I'm always in ). I heard that women actually get larger at first, and then the fat burns happens later (I heard this from someone recently).

Losing weight is rarely the right term to use. If you want to lose weight, you can drop 10lbs in a day. If you want to lose fat, then that's a different thing. When you begin lifting weights, assuming you're new to working out...you will gain muscle and lose fat. Therefore your weight may not change much, but your body fat percentage does.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
When you begin lifting weights, assuming you're new to working out...you will gain muscle and lose fat. Therefore your weight may not change much, but your body fat percentage does.
That's what I'm aiming for but what like I explained before, I'm concerned with how much I should intake to promote muscle growth but lose the fat.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibit
That's what I'm aiming for but what like I explained before, I'm concerned with how much I should intake to promote muscle growth but lose the fat.
I see. Well there is no magical answer. A little bit of protein is the best I can say. If I was to take a wild guess I'd say 25g or less of protein. For starters, it's not easy for the body to absorb more than 30 grams of protein per serving. So when you drink those mega shakes with 60g of protein...part of it is mostly just waste of money.

Now, as a disclaimer...if you've just started working out, or have been seriously working out for less than a year or two, then this should not even be remotely at the top of your mind. Eating a good'ole balanced diet should be more than enough. For an every day male who works out, a gram of protein per pound of body weight should work just fine. Really wanna minimize muscle loss I would worry about sleep, stress, and many other things long before having some protein before a workout.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:00 PM

Well, I've been working out for over a year. I hurt my shoulder in December and am just getting back into things. I've always had the problem of bulking up but never losing that damn tire around my waist Well, another problem I have is the lack of sleep and lots of stress. That's extremely hard to regulate but as I start working out more the stress decreases and the sleep kind of falls back to where it should be.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

thanks for all that wonderfull info... just looking for the calorie to weight ratio though.

<-------- Jeff

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
thanks for all that wonderfull info... just looking for the calorie to weight ratio though.
1 gram of protein = 4 calories
1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
1 gram of fat = 9 calories

454grams in a pound...so the answer is..."It depends".

A pound could be as low as 1816 calories or a max of 4086 but there's your range.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Relative to weight loss then..... 1 lb of fat requires a energy deficit of 4086 Calories.

Tom

T2
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Quote:
454grams in a pound...so the answer is..."It depends".

A pound could be as low as 1816 calories or a max of 4086 but there's your range.
Thanks biggy

<-------- Jeff

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
For starters, it's not easy for the body to absorb more than 30 grams of protein per serving. So when you drink those mega shakes with 60g of protein...part of it is mostly just waste of money.
This is not entirely true. It depends greatly on your size as well.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:59 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Well, I had to start cuttin weight for USAF. I used http://nutritionaldata.com for both nutritiunal data as well as calculating a persons calorie usage during the day and bunch of other stuff. That site is absolutely phenomenal. I was 194, and at 24 & 71in height, somewhat active i needed 3046 kcal a day for basic functions. I got a key to my apartment complex gym and started first runnin on a t-mill, later replaced by the awesome calorie burning elliptical. Having a decent heart monitor helps control and adjust things as needed. I workout for 40 min (5 warm up, 30 workout, 3 rest) which roughly comes out between 560-700 calories (depending how hard i push it. Sunday is my rest day. I also try to limit my calorie intake to 1200. Started eating a lot of veggies throutout the day. specially raddishes. I dropped 10 lbs in the first week, but after that i slowed down quite a bit. Today marks a month, and i'm down to 180 Frankly i haven't even checked tenth of that site. It's really worth checkin out
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 09:43 AM

You have lost mostly water BWA. You may have lost a lb. of fat but that is about it in the first. That is why you are loosing much slower now. Slow is a good thing because it is health. As for the calories you are burning during exercise you can't trust the treadmill to give you an accurate expenditure. You need to take in more variables to get an accurate calorie expenditure. Good job so far and keep up the good work.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaro4
+1, if you take enzymes which helps the body further break down the protein(s) your body will absorb as much as it can/needs. Hence, for someone working out that needs/requires more protein, the body will adapt and absorb more.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaro4
Ok it's not entirely true. But it's true for about 98% of the population. Easily put. Most of us, I'd venture that anyone on this site, would not utilize 60 grams of protein. On top of that...drinking excess amount of protein or anything else is not going to be all so hot on the internal organs. If you're 6' 8" and 400lbs, then 60 grams may be ok for you...sorry I didn't put in the disclaimer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode