anybody use muscle milk? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
NAZ

anybody use muscle milk?

anyone else ever use muscle milk protein? just bought some, curious as to if its any good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
I have been using optimum nutrition pro complex protien stacked with NOXplode and I have been seeing good results. I am an old man however, but this combo works for me. On to your question, I have not heard anything good about muscle milk, but that is not to say that it will not work well for you. Everyone is different. Maybe Biggie can chime in, he is the resident expert on nutrition and working out.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
guys that use it love it, and rave about it. I've never tried it myself. I'm an ON fan.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
NAZ

thanx guys
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:41 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

I dont, and its VERY obvious!

<----------------------Fat ASS!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Another Polak

Sportbike: '05 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: Since '04
How you found us: Friend

I used banana flavor, taste awesome, but didn't to shit for me.

" Never drive faster, than your guardian angel can fly."

My Garage

PSN: chamala2000

Peter
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Sure, I'll chime in Muscle Milk is not bad by any means, but nothing I'd invest in. It's middle of the road in terms of quality. You're just as good buying Optimum Nutrition and saving a few bucks.

Here's a very simple way to tell useful products from marketed hype. When a nutritional product touts something (for example) like "LeanLipids (TM)" as an ingredient. See that's a hype name...sounds cool. But not everyone does it. There's folks wanna skip the foreplay and see what the ingredients are in there. Now if you look closely you'll see that the LeanLipids in Muscle Milk is really made up of: "LEANLIPIDES(TM) Lipid complex selected for thermogenic and unique energy properties (Canola Oil, BETAPOL (TM) [Enzyme Engineered Polyunsaturated Long-Chain Vegetable Oils] MCT's, L-Carnitine)"

To sum up it's Canola oil, Long chain (good) fat, medium chain (good) fat, and a fat burner. This would be excellent if I didn't get enough vegetable oil from plain old cooking in the first place...not to mention, they might be better off with different oil in there such as flax seed or maybe some lecithin. So the most valuable ingredient is an amino acide called "L-carnitine" which to sum up...helps deliver fat into cells to be used for energy. Perfect...it's a great ingredient. Alone. It's great when taken alone with no other protein sources, otherwise it's simply absorbed along with the protein and not with the individual properties of that amino acid.

So while we see that it's not a bad combo, it's clear that some of the ingredients aren't very useful, and others are nullified by the other ingredients in there.

Think of it this way...you buy a bike. Put nitrous on there and it's faster, but to make it more controlled you put wider tires on. Now you can't turn as well, so you reduce the weight of the bike, but now it wheelies when you go straight so you make it longer...so on and so on. That's what starts happening with most of the products when they try to combo them with everything...it ends up doing less.

Different ingredients should be taken at different times some with and others without food, etc...And finally, even the good ingredients in there such as the vitamins (don't let those percentages fool you...they're worthless). There's simply not enough of them to really matter so you rarely get enough of the good stuff to make any notable impact on performance.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
NAZ

good info.... so what would u recomend i use for supplements? i am also currently using xience noxg3
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 PM

Much better product than muscle milk. If you check the label, they keep it real simple. They put together ingredients that don't counter act each other. The slight catch is that you don't get much in each serving of the amino's but it's for sure not bad. Then again, the servings are pretty small at 13g. You could easily take double the dosage to get much better amounts.

As for what you take, your best bet is to split it up. Buy a nice protein powder which is just protein, ON, Promax, whatever you like. For starters you might want to buy (on your next cycle) some creatine to load up on. Take 20 grams a day for a week, then drop down to 2 servings twice a day of this xyience stuff. Take your protein shake at a different time. Now I'm not figuring in cost. You could take the BCAA's and creatine seperately and drop the NCG3 also...you can be creative there. Finally get a good multi vitamin. If it's sold in Walgreens, there's a good chance it's crap. Go to a health food store and buy Carlson, Twinlabs, Country Life (the one I use), NOW, or some other reputable brand. Don't ever buy Centrum or any of those mainstream multi's...you'll get more for your money if you drink race fuel.

But the basics are protein and a multi. Everything else is toppings.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
NAZ

my buddy is a manager at a shop. he just wasnt in when i needed my protein.

he usually gives stuff to me for a couple bucks over cost
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

I have tried almost every protein out there and Muscle Milk is the only one I can drink. It reallt taste good. All the rest I have to choke down because I don't like the way they taste. Muscle Milk gets my vote for best tasting. Of course there are some out there that may have more protein or better bcaa but usually after 3 days of those I stop drinking them because the taste.

Under200
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

Muscle milk is good, but to me FAT IS FAT. I usually drink it right after the workout or first thing in the morning. I also use NitroTech, this combo does it for me plus I use:

-ON Aminos 2222
-Chromium Picolonate (SP)
-Mulit-Enzymes with high protein meals
-Vitamin E/C

I want to get on some hydroxycut hardcore. BIGGy your thoughts???? or should i get some cl. I know it is very comparable to Lipo 6.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton
Muscle milk is good, but to me FAT IS FAT. I usually drink it right after the workout or first thing in the morning. I also use NitroTech, this combo does it for me plus I use:

-ON Aminos 2222
-Vitamin E/C

I want to get on some hydroxycut hardcore. BIGGy your thoughts???? or should i get some cl. I know it is very comparable to Lipo 6.

Again my rule of thumb for bogus vs legit supplements comes into play. If you go search for Muscle Milk's nutritional lable it's very poorly written and mostly featers ingredients that they made up of other basic ingredients and gave a kick ass name to. Muscletech is also guilty of this, however if you check the label, they are a lot more clear about what's in their...so they're not as full of shit.

Let's be real about fat burners. As far as I'm concerned there's only 2 fat burners that you can buy without a presciption. A fat metabolizer such as L-carnitine (non-stimulant amino acid), or a thermogenic product; aka caffeine...make you go bouncy bouncy. The word thermogenic or even cooler sounding 'THERMOGENESIS are generally used and I'll tell you why. When I sell you a cup of coffee from a mom and pop diner for 70cents a day (which you could help sponsor a child), what do you and I call it? A cup of coffee. Now when you go to Starbucks and you get virtually the same shit coffee but with lot's more cream and sugar, then proceed to pay $5 or some other obscene amount for it then do you call it 'a cup of coffee'? No. We call it a Venti white chocolate machiato with caramel...or something like that. So if I sell you normal caffeine pills for a normal price then I'll call them that. But when I want to charge you more than $10 for a bottle of caffeine then I'm going to stick a tiny amount of ingredients which have CONTROVERSIAL CLAIMS AND CONFLICTING STUDIES (key part) in the mix. Then I'll call the product something like Hydroxycut. If I really wanna shove it in your rear I'll slap a label on that says one of the following: Extreme, Hardcore, MEGA, Thermogenic, Ultra, Fuel, Growth-promoting, Sterol, or my favorite...ANABOLIC!!!

Hydroxycut works...period. Guess I coulda started with that. But, you can find the same caffeine pills for a few bucks, and that's really what they are. The additional things in there are questionable for starters. I've used Yohimbe, Inositol, etc...can't say I noticed anything, however each one is different. The best combos had ephedrine...if ya really wanna boost your metabolism. Problem is that stupid people can go out, buy it, OD 'n die, then cause a product to be banned which is not really the problem...but perhaps that high school wrestler that took a whole bottle in a day was just a moron.

My suggestion. Either do more cardio and save on the pills, maybe take something like l-carnitine (empty stomach, 30 mins or so before a workout), or just go load up on some cheapo caffeine pills which will give you pretty much the same results as any 'mainstream thermogenic ultra fat burning fuel thing'.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton

-ON Aminos 2222
-Vitamin E/C

Oh and a couple things to add...why are you taking Amino's 2222 instead of a straight protein shake? Also, why are you on chromium and what have you been told that it exactly does? E/C are good. Look into a product by Carlson (not always easy to find) that's called ACES. Vitamins A, C, E, and Selenium work even better together if you're seeking an anti-oxidant. If you really wanna go nuts, take some CO-Q10 and grape seed extract as well.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200
I have tried almost every protein out there and Muscle Milk is the only one I can drink. It reallt taste good. All the rest I have to choke down because I don't like the way they taste. Muscle Milk gets my vote for best tasting. Of course there are some out there that may have more protein or better bcaa but usually after 3 days of those I stop drinking them because the taste.

Under200
Muscle Milk tastes better because it uses sugar as a sweetener and not aspartame like almost every other protein shake (the others wanna avoid carbs).

BCAA's, unless it's at least several grams in the shake...you're better off taking solo and on an empty stomach.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
NAZ

thanx biggy, everything uve said here has helped me understand all this shit somewhat better
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:04 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
Muscle Milk tastes better because it uses sugar as a sweetener and not aspartame like almost every other protein shake (the others wanna avoid carbs).

BCAA's, unless it's at least several grams in the shake...you're better off taking solo and on an empty stomach.
Damn biggy, never noticed that. 6grams of sugar to be exact. Is that a huge deal? If so what protein would you recommend that actually taste good that doesn't have sugar? I was using GNC mega isolate but the taste of MM blew it away and it also mixed better in a shaker.

Under200
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 09:31 AM

You can take it with sugar...it's personal preference. There's 12 grams of carbs in MM total. 6 grams is listed as sugar because it's not a complex carbohydrate. It's not huge, so stick with what works for you. Important thing is the protein quality. No doubt that MM is not the highest quality out there, but it's for sure much much better than nothing. I switch off and don't care about taste. My secret is to just use a little bit of water and make a small shake (8oz or so). Then I drink it down real quick and have a glass or two of water afterwards. Remember that if you do it like I do, you're inputting 50 grams (or however big your serving is) of some powder from a can...this won't make a dry tummy happy. So you either use more water in the shake and live with the taste, or do it fast in a few big gulps and then drink water afterwards. I'm used to pretty much any taste. Working in the biz it really all tastes exactly the same.

In thining about it, I don't think sales reps liked me much because when they'd bring in a new bar or drink for me to bring into our lineup I'd usually say that it tasted either just like their old product or like everything else

Many stores usually have lot's of samples in the back of many different things. Sometimes it's stuff that's not released yet. When you're shopping next time, ask the guy at the counter for some samples...if he ain't stolen them for himself, he should be able to load you up.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY

Let's be real about fat burners. As far as I'm concerned there's only 2 fat burners that you can buy without a presciption. A fat metabolizer such as L-carnitine (non-stimulant amino acid), or a thermogenic product; aka caffeine...make you go bouncy bouncy.
Nuff said, I will stick to my original way of fat loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode