Dieting down/protein drinks - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Dieting down/protein drinks

Have finished my 2 month bulking phase 1 month ago. Pretty good results. 149 to 160lbs. Of course during that phase I also put on some fat around the midsection. During the 2 months I ate like an animal and drank 2 protein drinks a day (700 cals), one for breakfast and one right after working out and about 30min. before dinner. It all obviously worked since I put on some good muscle gains but now it's time to strip away some of the fat that came along with it.
My question is, should I cut the protein drink back to only one per day after workouts? After looking at the label again I noticed that the drinks are pretty damn high in sat. fats. one serving is 40-45% of the daily limit. So 2 of those almost gives me 100% of what I need not even figuring in regular food! Of course I am also creeping in the rest of the diet, lots of lean cusuine frozen dinners for when I totally sick of chicken breast. Also not eating after 6:30pm with the exception of some fruit. Not looking to get ripped or six pack abs, that's not in my genetics plus I don't want to be on that strict of a diet. Just looking ot get rid of some mid section fat, I'll be happy with a 4 pack. So should I squash the morning shake and just have some fruit or granola bar? Almost forgot, my usual workout schedule is 4 days per week.

Under200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 AM

First step is to figure out how many calories a day you are consuming and cut out the lean cusuine meals. They are high in sodium and will make you retain more water. Also don't eat to much fruit, it is high in sugar. The first two things I tell my clients to do is cut out the sodium and the sugar in their diets and they will see a positive change.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaro4
First step is to figure out how many calories a day you are consuming and cut out the lean cusuine meals. They are high in sodium and will make you retain more water. Also don't eat to much fruit, it is high in sugar. The first two things I tell my clients to do is cut out the sodium and the sugar in their diets and they will see a positive change.

Thanks for the tips, the salt thing is a killer since almost everything has it. In the past what worked well for me was eating normally but decreasing the size as the day goes on. Have a good sized breakfast, fair sized lunch and then small dinner before 6. I was like a gremilin, no eating at night. But the way I see it is that it's easier to be hungry while your sleeping than while your awake, not to mention if you eat late you never burn any of it since your sleeping.
So do you say to skip the morning shake or not? I'll have to cut down the frozen "lean" dinners but rice and chicken get old real quick.

Under200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:02 PM

Sportbike: GSXR 750 Ducati 748
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: twf

I would definalty keep the shakes going, maybe switch to a lower calorie shake. most of those serve as meal replacements so they will help you stimulae you mitabolism, which will keep you burining fat through out the day
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Look into Pastulio's Eyes

Sportbike: YZF-R1
Years Riding: 2.0
How you found us: Google

LOL, I dunk my chocolate chip cookies in my protien shake!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Cutting out sodium, that I can handle.

But what am I supposed to replace ice cream with if I cut out sugar!! Kinda defeats the purpose of life. Hell, no ice cream, no sex.... next thing you'll say no riding!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig909
LOL, I dunk my chocolate chip cookies in my protien shake!

I remember when I was a 20 and a hard gainer. I would make my weightgain shakes with ice cream and chocolate sauce and banana's. IT was a heart attack in a blender!!! Something like 800+ cals. Still didn't put a pound on me, now I have the exact opposite problem

Under200
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:14 PM

I'll make this one short and sweet, save the rant You wanna lose fat, I whole-heartedly promise that if you fall within the 95% of normal people...you will lose muscle as well in the process. Very simple. Body likes to keep things proportional. A fat you will naturally be stronger than a weak you. If you want to stay cut and keep the muscle, then it may actually take more work in the gym to keep it that way. When we gain muscle at first, we shock our body...it starts working on creating additional blood flow and so on for new tissue. It just takes more time for the fat to build up.

Oh and please, don't ever quote an RDA percentage again...it's horseshit. Use the ODA (optimal daily allowance), which has been studied and compiled more towards what an active person needs. Check the chart here (lazy, first one googled up):

http://www.fibromyalgiacfsstore.com/rdaoda.html

The RDA came towards the end of the great depression. If you search hard enough, you'll see that a good part of the motivation behind it was because folks were simply malnutritioned during those times. The RDA established the MINIMUMS that an INACTIVE person needed to not show deficiency of that particular nutrient. Basically the RDA means to feed starving people at least 100% of this so their gums don't bleed or whatever else. Now dig a little more (ok when I was a nutritionist this is what I did)...and you'll see that some percentages have actually dropped in years past. Meaning if 100mg of vitamin C would get you 100%, then it became 60mg to get that 100%. Why? If you make some kick ass tasting cereal that's nothing more than a brown spot in terms of nutrition, but you'd like to tell people that you have 100% of this or that mineral...well, much easier to hit that 100% if the FDA drops it. Not that you'd go out and contribute to the FDA to buy off lower percentages to make your unhealthy/kick ass tasting product any better...I'm just sayin'
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 PM

Check out mypyramid.org this may help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Learn something new here everyday, I never heard the diff between RDA and ODA.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode