Essential Fatty Acids and weight loss? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

Essential Fatty Acids and weight loss?

The program I'm in at Lifetime encourages us to take essential fatty acids supplements.

How do these facilitate weight loss?

Anybody know? Taking fat pills?

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:37 AM
that punk kid

Sportbike: '05 ZX-6R (636)
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to AdrenalinJunkie Send a message via Skype™ to AdrenalinJunkie
EFA are GOOD Fats compared to Trans Fatty acids, and all the other shitty fatty acids (deep frieds foods).

Essential fatty acids are needed to metabolize other types of fats that are not good for us. Saturated fat is a harmful fat that is found in many types of red meat and dairy foods. Yet, the worse types of fats are the partially hydrogenated oils found in snack foods. These types of fats, found in most processed foods, are converted to trans-fatty acids when heated, or oxidized. So when you make boxed cakes or brownies you create trans fats when you bake these partially hydrogenated oils that are included in the mix so that the box can sit on your shelf indefinitely. These are the types of fat that increase cholesterol in the arteries.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/ar...ic-disease.htm

I used to work at a GNC type place - i used to answer this type of stuff on a daily basis =) Hope this helps.

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- ** retired ** '05 Kawasaki ZX-6R
- NESBA "A" #616
- Founder/President - Creatix, Inc.
- Founder - BartendChicago - BartendChicago.com

Wikipedia - Adrenaline Junkie - An adrenaline junkie is somebody who feels as if they are addicted to adrenaline. Adrenaline junkies may enjoy competing in extreme sports like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle racing, or anything else that gets their heart rate up. This sort of addiction is brought on by enjoying the (adrenaline) "rush" gained from these activities.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

So taking EFA supplements will help me metabolize any of the bad fats that may get in by mistake (like those times when people put a gun to my head at Hooters and tell me to eat a couple wings or I'm gonna eat some lead)?

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
that punk kid

Send a message via AIM to AdrenalinJunkie Send a message via Skype™ to AdrenalinJunkie
Take like a EFA + CLA pill. Also before you work out, take some L-Carnatine (Amino Acid which increases fat burning).

You'll be burning fat like no other!

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- NESBA "A" #616

Wikipedia - Adrenaline Junkie - An adrenaline junkie is somebody who feels as if they are addicted to adrenaline. Adrenaline junkies may enjoy competing in extreme sports like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle racing, or anything else that gets their heart rate up. This sort of addiction is brought on by enjoying the (adrenaline) "rush" gained from these activities.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie
Take like a EFA + CLA pill. Also before you work out, take some L-Carnatine (Amino Acid which increases fat burning).

You'll be burning fat like no other!
Slowass likes to burn fat.

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:45 AM
that punk kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
So taking EFA supplements will help me metabolize any of the bad fats that may get in by mistake (like those times when people put a gun to my head at Hooters and tell me to eat a couple wings or I'm gonna eat some lead)?
essentially yes. Will increase bad fat metabolism, and you'll be getting good fat at the same time. You could take your Omega 3's to =) (those are good fats).

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- NESBA "A" #616

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
essentially yes. Will increase bad fat metabolism, and you'll be getting good fat at the same time. You could take your Omega 3's to =) (those are good fats).
Dude, I eat so much fish, I prolly don't need a supplement...these supplements I'm taking have the Omega 3 though...

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

I just wanna point out that there are better ways to burn fat.

(sometimes I should just shut up)

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:52 AM
that punk kid

note: taking pills does not get you slim, make you loose weight...etc.

When you are changing your diet, or taking supplements its very important you a) drink a lot of water b) work out on a normal schedule.

Or just have sex at least once a day, have 4-5 drinks every other day, and go to the track and race every weekend. You'll drop pounds instantly!

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- NESBA "A" #616

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
that punk kid

Quote:
Dude, I eat so much fish, I prolly don't need a supplement...these supplements I'm taking have the Omega 3 though...
If you eat a lot of fish you prob dont need to take more Omega 3's. EFA from what i remember are a combination of everything, so they prob have Omega 3,6 & 9 in there.

Do you eat a lot of meat? If not, L-Carntine is an amino acid which is naturally found in meat which metabolises fat =)

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- NESBA "A" #616

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
If you eat a lot of fish you prob dont need to take more Omega 3's. EFA from what i remember are a combination of everything, so they prob have Omega 3,6 & 9 in there.

Do you eat a lot of meat? If not, L-Carntine is an amino acid which is naturally found in meat which metabolises fat =)
First part is correct. If you intake a good amount of EFA's, then supplementing them is not necessary. It's rare that the American diet gets enough though. Let's put it this way, you need to eat fat, to burn fat too. Folks who say "I'm cutting out all the fat from my diet", end up storing more fat. I think I've written about that before as to why, but you get the idea.

And yes there's higher levels of l-carnitine in meat, however the amino is much more effective when taken on it's own as are all aminos. Otherwise they mostly act as a whole (protein).
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
I just wanna point out that there are better ways to burn fat.

(sometimes I should just shut up)
Oh, I work out regularly in a zone training program and do weights...I just wanted to understand why the trainers were recommending this supplement.

Thanks for the info AJ and Biggy! It just goes to show that you could bust your ass, but if you bust your ass incorrectly, you're just wasting time.

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info AJ and Biggy! It just goes to show that you could bust your ass, but if you bust your ass incorrectly, you're just wasting time.
Exactamundo. Problem is that there's lot's of things that could throw you off. Diet, improper exercise, lack of sleep, poor nutrition. All of these can long be optimized before even touching a supplement. In terms some might understand. While not on the same level...it's like taking a higher horsepower bike to the track on your first time out. Sure it's better faster in theory, but not much benefit for you.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
it's like taking a higher horsepower bike to the track on your first time out. Sure it's better faster in theory, but not much benefit for you.
GREAT analogy!

I became concerned with this whole thing when I knew this girl at the gym a few years back -- she was quite overweight, and every night, would work out so hard -- run like a marathon runner -- night after night! She worked SO HARD and lost no weight...She was so discouraged.

This program I'm in now teaches you how to train in the proper zone to burn fat and not sugar. I am not killing myself so much like I used to before, and am getting much better results. Work smarter, not harder!

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:18 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
This program I'm in now teaches you how to train in the proper zone to burn fat and not sugar. I am not killing myself so much like I used to before, and am getting much better results. Work smarter, not harder!
What is this 'zone' you are speaking of? Slightly less than full blown aerobic workout so your heartrate doesn't get as high? And where can you pick up these supplements?

My goals are a lower 2 mile run time, which generally requires serious running and sprinting drills once a week. All are serious workouts. But, years ago, after I got down to 140, I managed a run time under 14 minutes (currently it's around 15:30).

It would probably be easier if I just gave up beer.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

This Zone depends on your anaerobic threashold (AT). Your AT measured with an O2 test, or for amateurs (myself!), it's your heart rate at the top of the zone where you feel like you're working hard, but you can keep it up for a while. Your AT is the heart rate that you don't feel you can keep for more than a couple minutes. At your AT, you are burning sugar and not fat.

You can get essential fatty acids at any health food store.

And I hear you about the beer. It is the one thing that gives me problems. I have NO PROBLEM exercising or turning down junk food. I'm starting to think that I need to join AA!

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Quote:

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
This Zone depends on your anaerobic threashold (AT). Your AT measured with an O2 test, or for amateurs (myself!), it's your heart rate at the top of the zone where you feel like you're working hard, but you can keep it up for a while. Your AT is the heart rate that you don't feel you can keep for more than a couple minutes. At your AT, you are burning sugar and not fat.
Hmm, that's pretty close to where I'm running now. That's about the pace for my second half of Monday running.

Monday is a 3.8 mile run (gravel course at Rollins Savannah)
Wednesday is sprinting day (army drill called 30/60 and 60/120)
Friday is a jog, but I'd like to get my pedal bike fixed to bike that day. Running beats the crap out of my knees and legs.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode