What are you eating? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

What are you eating?

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=68

Mechanically Separated Chicken and Other Horrors
Posted by Alan Bellows on September 30th, 2005 at 12:14 am

The foods that lurk on grocery shelves have ingredient lists that often defy pronunciation. Those few words that can be pronounced are sometimes far too horrible to contemplate. I thought I'd peel back the greasy cellophane and get the skinny on what makes these processed "foods" tick. If you're prone to abandoning food items when you learn their dark secrets, I suggest you stop reading now.

Here are but a few, in no particular order:

Slim Jim - Mechanically Separated Chicken:
A primary ingredient in Slim Jims and many other food-flavored solids, the name conjures images of plucked chicken carcasses being tossed into a giant machine that rips the flesh from its bones, and grinds the remains into mush. And coincidentally, that's EXACTLY what it is. It comes out the other end as a gooey paste. No doubt it will be the same consistency when the hospital's stomach pump mechanically separates the chicken from me.

Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable/Soybean/Cottonseed Oil:
Refers to oils that have had hydrogen added, in the presence of small amounts of catalyst metals such as nickel, palladium, platinum or cobalt. This causes the oil harden to a desired level, but it creates trans fatty acids, which are very unfriendly to the heart. Found in Crisco, Oreos, and many other tasty, death-hastening foods.

Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO):
Vegetable oil mixed with bromine. According to webelements.com, bromine is "a heavy, volatile, mobile, dangerous reddish-brown liquid. The red vapour has a strong unpleasant odour and the vapour irritates the eyes and throat. […] When spilled on the skin it produces painful sores. It is a serious health hazard, and maximum safety precautions should be taken when handling it." It is used in to allow artificial citrus flavoring to mix with oil, often in citrus-flavored sodas such as Mountain Dew.

Trace amounts of BVO are stored permanently in body fat when it is consumed. BVO is one of only four food additives the FDA considers "interim," and it must be periodically re-approved for safety.

Xanthan Gum:
Named for the Xanthomonas campestris bacteria that create it, it is the powdery byproduct of the fermentation of glucose or sucrose. Used to add texture to foods like salad dressing, pudding, etc. Also can be used in place of gluten for baking. Extra credit for the cool X-pronounced-like-a-Z factor.

BuickCarnauba Wax:
A wax derived from the leaves of a plant native to northeastern Brazil, the Carnauba Palm. It is used to make things shiny, such as M&Ms, Skittles, and Buicks.

Gum Arabic (aka Gum Acacia):
This substance, derived from tree scabs, is used as a food "stabilizer," meaning that it gives a food a certain consistency. It is produced by the the acacia tree to seal up any damage which occurs to its bark. It is used in foods that are gummy, such as soft drink syrups, marshmallows, and gumdrops.

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG):
MSG is a highly effective flavor enhancer that is considered by many to be, well, kind of a jerk. It is created by fermenting starch, sugar beets, sugar cane, or molasses. Its presence in food makes other flavors stand out more, but eating food that contains MSG causes many people to experience headaches, flushing, sweating, and a sensation of pressure in the mouth or face. Rare reports have indicated swelling of the throat, chest pain, heart palpitations, and shortness of breath.

Repeated studies have shown that pure MSG does not cause any of these symptoms, and the current suspicion is that the symptoms are caused by trace amounts of a mold that grows in the vats which produce MSG. Time will tell whether MSG is a misunderstood friend, or a sneaky, flavor-enhancing foe.

MSG is common in Chinese food, frozen dinners, and snack foods.

Sodium Pyrophosphate:
A slightly toxic compound used as a thickener/emulsifier for things like chicken nuggets, marshmallows, and soy-based pseudomeat. Also used in toothpaste and clothing detergents to prevent calcium and magnesium buildup.

Trisodium Phosphate (aka Sodium Phosphate):
An ionic salt used as a thickener/emulsifier for foods, as well as common uses as a degreaser, detergent, and laxative.

Sorbitol:
A low-calorie sugar alcohol used as a sugar substitute in sugar-free cake mixes, cookies, candies, etc. Known to cause abdominal pain and severe diarrhea if too much is ingested. But at least you're not fat.

Mannitol:
A sugar alcohol like Sorbitol, but used in breath mints because it causes a "cool" feeling. Also a primary ingredient in many childrens' laxatives.

Sodium Benzoate:
A salt that is used as a preservative because of its ability to kill yeasts, bacteria and fungi. The FDA restricts it to one tenth of a percent in foods, since it is poisonous in larger quantities. Can provoke asthma, gastrointestinal symptoms, and behavior problems in children. Often found in salad dressings, carbonated drinks, jams, and fruit juices.

High Fructose Corn Syrup:
Corn syrup which has had much of its natural glucose sugar converted to fructose sugar. It's the primary sweetener for mass-produced foods in the US, particularly soft drinks. It's often cited as the leading cause of obesity in the US, and is linked to diabetes.

Gelatin:
Used in making Jell-o, jams, and things of that nature, gelatin is created by boiling the bones, skins, and hides of cows and pigs. This releases collagen, which is boiled, filtered, and ground in to powder. Doesn't that make you want to run out and grab a big old bowl of raspberry-flavored jiggly-hides-and-bones?

Cochineal (aka Carmine or Carminic Acid):
A deep red food coloring used for fruit juices, gelatins, and candies. It is derived from ground-up Dactylopius coccus beetles.

Partially De-Fatted Cooked Pork/Beef Fatty Tissue:
Partially defatted beef or pork is derived from "trimmings" that have at least 12% visible lean, and generally have a protein content between 17% and 20% once some of the fat and tendons are cut out. Nightmare meat.

Pork Brains in Milk GravySodium nitrite:
A color fixative and preservative in meats and fish, it effectively prevents the growth of botulism. Four grams are lethal to a human, yet it also can be used as an antidote for cyanide poisoning. It is used as a preservative in numerous meat products, such as cold cuts and sausage. Also, one of only six ingredients in The World's Most Horrifying Food: Armour brand Pork Brains in Milk Gravy (it exists, and somebody eats it. It also contains 1170% of the recommended daily allowance of cholesterol).

I could go on and on, but I'm not going to. I've turned over enough rocks for one night. I feel like I've lost a small part of myself in all of this food research: the lunch part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:03 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
And now I'm off to have some BBQ Ribs from Famous Dave’s.... mmmmm......

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
What the hell is yellow #5

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:15 PM

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

Take a piss and you tell me.

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Yellow #5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartrazine

Tartrazine (otherwise known as E102 or FD&C Yellow 5) is a synthetic lemon yellow azo dye used as a food colouring. It is derived from coal-tar, a carcinogenic tar produced from refined raw coal.

It is found in certain brands of fruit squash, fruit cordial, coloured fizzy drinks, instant puddings, cake mixes, custard powder, soups, sauces, kool-aid(medicinal), ice cream, ice lollies, sweets, chewing gum, marzipan, jam, jelly, marmalade, mustard, yogurt and many convenience foods together with glycerin, lemon and honey products.

It may be found in the shells of medicinal capsules. It can also be used with E133 Brilliant Blue FCF or E142 Green S to produce various green shades (e.g. for tinned processed peas).

It appears to cause the most allergic and intolerance reactions of all the azo dyes, particularly amongst those with an aspirin intolerance and asthmatics. Reactions can include migraine, blurred vision, itching, rhinitis, urticaria and purple skin patches (because of this more use is now being made of E160b Annatto).
This carbonated drink would be colourless except for the addition of tartrazine.
Enlarge
This carbonated drink would be colourless except for the addition of tartrazine.

There is an urban legend that the tartrazine in Mountain Dew causes shrinkage of testicles. [1] This legend is false; tartrazine has been deemed safe and used since 1917. Another variant of this urban legend is that tartrazine decreases male sperm count, which is also false.

The Hyperactive Childrens Support Group believe that a link exists between this additive and hyperactive behavioural disorders in children.

Tartrazine is a very commonly used colour in the United Kingdom and the United States. Use of tartrazine is banned in Norway and was banned in Austria and Germany, before EU regulations lifted the ban again. Its consumption, however, is still not recommended for children.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
Gelatin:
Used in making Jell-o, jams, and things of that nature, gelatin is created by boiling the bones, skins, and hides of cows and pigs. This releases collagen, which is boiled, filtered, and ground in to powder. Doesn't that make you want to run out and grab a big old bowl of raspberry-flavored jiggly-hides-and-bones?
I actually heard that gelatin helps lubricate the joints (so to speak). Helps relieive arthritis. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

"I forgot to ask her what her name was"

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrash
What the hell is yellow #5
The stuff in Mountain Dew that makes your peepee little

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:40 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibit
I actually heard that gelatin helps lubricate the joints (so to speak). Helps relieive arthritis. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

In training for mountaineering I've been told to take gelatin to help my joints. I did to religiously for awhile but I didn't notice one bit of a difference, so I stopped. Supposedly it is helps make your hair and nails stronger, too.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
In training for mountaineering I've been told to take gelatin to help my joints. I did to religiously for awhile but I didn't notice one bit of a difference, so I stopped. Supposedly it is helps make your hair and nails stronger, too.
One of the key things in most supplement formulas is Biotin (Vitamin H). That's your hair and nails aid. For joints go with Glocosamine with Chondroitin, or the old school shark cartilage.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
One of the key things in most supplement formulas is Biotin (Vitamin H). That's your hair and nails aid. For joints go with Glocosamine with Chondroitin, or the old school shark cartilage.
That's the stuff... I was using that too but couldn't think of the name.

Oh, and taking iron supplements to increase your VO2 just makes you feel like caca... right Biggy?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
That's the stuff... I was using that too but couldn't think of the name.

Oh, and taking iron supplements to increase your VO2 just makes you feel like caca... right Biggy?
Taking amounts where's you're slightly OD'ing is will do it. Now to be honest, at altitude I haven't read any studies because I counseled folks here at elevation of only 640msl
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 AM
d0 work s0n!

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R
Years Riding: Moment I got off the street
How you found us: twinky in the donut?

y is eating healthy so much god damn work?

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
when i start to come undone, stitch me together.
when you see me stretched remind me of what left this outlaw torn."
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 02:53 AM

Nice aritcle! I love to eat baby back ribs! And Rib BBQ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode