Finally started working out & eating right + A question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

Finally started working out & eating right + A question

Well when I had to goto the store to get a new pair of pants and I had to buy a size 40, I decided I better do something.

All through high school & college I was about 180-190lbs. I'm 6' tall. After entering the real world and getting a desk job, and a girlfriend I began packing on the pounds. Fast forward 5 years (26 years old now) and I'm 240lbs.

I've been eating right and working out for a little over two weeks and I'm already down to 224lbs. I'm eating around 2200-2500 calories a day and running 3 times a week. Cut out all soda (was drinking almost 5 cans a day), no fast food and eating 4-5 smaller sized meals a day. Lunch and dinner are larger than the snacks in the morning and afternoon.

I've never been a big runner, I hated it in high school but I knew I had to start. I found this program on the internet and it has really been working great. I actually look forward to going to the gym and running. The Couch to 5k Running Plan I get a good 20+ minutes in on the treadmill and it feels good. I will say the first time I went I felt like I should just drive myself to the hospital. I had HORRIBLE shin splints and just felt miserable in general.

Anyways, yesterday I ran and noticed my left knee starting to get a little sore. I've never had knee problems before, but I woke up today and it's still kind of tight and sore. Is this something I should be concerned about or take it as a growing pain? Any precautions I can take? Is it possible I am not running properly, or just too heavy for my body right now?

My goal has become to run a 5k come spring...so I would like to figure out these knee pains before they become a serious problem.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Pain is nature's way of telling you something's wrong. Don't ignore knee pain. It's possible you had years of damage or weakening going on by carrying the extra weight. You may have to slowly work into strengthening it to be able to support running on it. If you can, see a professional instead of fluffing it off as 'nothing'.
You may be lucky and it's just sore muscles.. but even they can 'give out' on you and cause worse problems. Have them checked out...

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:58 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

You probably did too much to fast. I would rest it and alternate the eliptical machines for cardio. They should have Lifefitness or Precor machines which are low impact on your knees. I too have started to feel knee pain on occasion so I switch to the eliptical machines and when I do use the treadmill, I usually select a steep grade and low speed. Its like you are power walking uphill, its a good workout and your knees aren't getting a pounding like when you run.
I think I've read glutamine helps with joint pain, check with other sources first I could be wrong, but like Arch said, don't ignore pain.

If you get shin splints often, here's what you can do for it:
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...00cfe793cd____

Da Bears!
Ducati
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:03 PM
G2G

Back off the running a little bit. My knees do the same thing from time to time. Like stated above switch up the cardio a little bit and do something low impact.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM

Sportbike: an invisible one
Years Riding: Wifes been riding me for years
How you found us: KeyHole

Nice man, good to hear keep it up, try to walk for like 10-12 mins before running to get the heart rate up and your legs warmed up and get some real good streaching in before and after. Its the hardest to start getting in shape i know first hand but after a few weeks it ant shit it becomes routine and start to enjoy the pain. Any questions man hit me up .

Last edited by RockStaRR; 11-07-2006 at 01:33 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Get new shoes. I started this same thread when I did this. Turned out my shoes sucked and was causing my knee pain. Also, I would get rid of the treadmill and get an elliptical, yes they look gayer than hell, but its a great workout that is much much easier on the joints.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:11 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Get new shoes.
+1 and avoid landing on your whole foot. Try using toes more.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelohere
I think I've read glutamine helps with joint pain, check with other sources first I could be wrong, but like Arch said, don't ignore pain.
you're thinking of glucosamine.

Chris
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoy
+1 and avoid landing on your whole foot. Try using toes more.
heel-toe, heel-toe.

elliptical machines are fun for mixing up your workout, but there is a reason they feel so much easier guys. Just my 2 cents but I feel like they're the biggest scam pulled on the public since 1 hour martinizing. The calorie burned numbers they spew are complete horseshit.

Chris
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
now thats surprising, I get exhausted much quicker on one of those compared to flat out running.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
heel-toe, heel-toe.

elliptical machines are fun for mixing up your workout, but there is a reason they feel so much easier guys. Just my 2 cents but I feel like they're the biggest scam pulled on the public since 1 hour martinizing. The calorie burned numbers they spew are complete horseshit.
Yea you can't run for distance on your toes.

I bought a new pair of New Balance a couple of weeks ago that I have been using. My feet never hurt and they fit right. Although they were a discount pair at DSW...maybe they aren't so great.

I'm not a big fan of elliptical machines either. I kind of see them as something a 45 year old mother of 3 would use. Unfortunately I'll probably be on one tomorrow at the minimum because I am still hurting pretty good.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to go the route of taking it easy and hopefully it's just a matter of being sore from being inactive for so long.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

+1 on mixing things up. Even a 30 minute WALK each night AFTER dinner will do wonders for keeping the weight down, if not burning it off. The ellipticals are good for the joints and if it becomes too easy to use, start lowering your legs like you're skiing while doing it and watch your heart rate go through the roof, its a serious thigh builder. Vcook's right though, the calorie counters are poo.

Rely instead on RPE (rate of perceived exertion) over time for a good gauge of how hard you're working. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/s...g/a/030904.htm

Good luck.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
I have a pretty similar situation. I started at 250 and am now down to 234 and still going. I'm planning to run a 5k in the spring that my uncle used to run in before he passed away. I have a bad knee from mountain biking and had knee surgery. Anyways, I needed a knee brace, and I would suggest using some of that bandage-type wrap for a bit until your knee gets used to it. I ran a 5k on the treadmill today (3.1 miles) in just under 30 minutes and my knee is fine. If you need somebody to run the 5k with, let me know, I'd love to try one out before the summer.

As far as the ellyptical machines go, they're great if you're looking to burn calories, but the treadmill is making my legs stronger too (as well as burning calories faster). I bought a pair of $50 Reebok running shoes and they're working perfect, but I'm hoping to upgrade to a pair of those new Nike's that are out.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

a bunch of us run 5Ks if you're looking for people do do it with. As for shoes, I've always just bought what fits up till this year. I want to fleet feet and got something based on their suggestions, and my running has never been better.

Chris
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:30 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
heel-toe, heel-toe.

I agree that the calorie numbers elipticals show you are very inflated. A 40 minute workout on the stairmill with a 35lb backpack says I burn 500-600 calories. A 35 minute interval workout on the eliptical says I burn close to 1,000 calories. I can totally feel a better workout from the stairmill than the eliptical.

Keyhole, use the eliptical for aerobics, but don't use the numbers on the screen to see if you're getting a good workout. Listen to your body, it'll tell you whether or not you worked out enough.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Quote:
I want to fleet feet and got something based on their suggestions, and my running has never been better.
Actually after 10 people telling me it's most likely my shoes I went over to the Fleet Feet in Elmhurst last night to have my feet measure and my gait analzyed. It turns out I am wearing a shoe that is a full size too small. My current shoes are 11.5 and my foot measured at a 12. The girl recommended a half size larger than that to allow my foot to sweel while I run.

She analyzed my gait as well and said I am very neutral, which is good. She said I should look for a cushioned shoe, reduce impact, and brought a few out. Turns out my foot might be a little wider than the standard width, but they did not have any shoes in an EE. She said I should hold off buying a pair until I try a few in the wider size before I make a decision.

I'm going to stop by Dick Pond in Carol Stream tonight and see what type of selection they have.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

nice!! getting the right shoe for your foot will make it easier and more enjoyable. now come run that 5.25mi rock&sole race with us on sunday.

Chris
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Hahaha, no way I could do a race like that right now. Spring time you can count me in for a 5k though
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:09 AM

Yea could be too many things that cause knee pain. Everything from being an actual problem with the knee, bad shoes, poor flexibility, poor running form, yada yada. Treadmills are usually much better than the street and provide a much cushier landing too as well as do a good portion of the running for you (aka 1 mile on treadmill is not equal to 1 mile on street). Overdoing it? Also a maybe.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I started running not too long ago. First week went well, second week was even better, then bam, extreme knee pain. So sudden and so bad I could not really walk for a week. Doctor said I was just pushing too hard. Make sure your body gets some rest between runs. I had the right shoes, I ran with an experienced runner that watched my form (as I watched her's for motivation), i thought I was doing everything right. Everything except respecting the fact that running breaks your body down a lot, you have to give it a chance to build back up.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D
Make sure your body gets some rest between runs.
Yea my knees hurt pretty bad yesterday, but today I feel fine. I run every other day, but usually don't have as much pain as yesterday on my days off. I'm going to run today and check my form as well as maybe try a new pair of shoes.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Stopped by Dick Pond after work and tried on another 5 pairs of shoes. I ended up with a pair of Nike Air Vomero's. They seemed to have twice as much cushion as any of the others I tried on. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but they were the most comfortable to me.

I did two miles today on the treadmill and they felt great. My knee's hurt a very little bit towards the beginning but I made it through without any major problems. I did some extra stretching afterwards to hopefully aleve any pains tomorrow.

Thanks for the all the advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode