Diet questions... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

Diet questions...

Well I have been "dieting" for a couple of weeks now, but I don't really know what I am doing. I'm going to start a journal to keep track of what I am eating as best as I can, but I still do not understand what portion of my diet should be fat, carbs & protein.

I'm 6' 224lbs right now. Down from 240lbs when I started. I run 3 times a week right now and will be starting a lifting program soon as well. My goal weight is about 180lbs.

So far what I have done is cut out all soda, most white carbs, and all fast food. A typical day for me consists of the following.

Multi grain english muffin - Breakfast
Campbell's Soup at Hand cup - Snack
Sandwich on wheat (light mayo) or a Salad w/ Grilled Chicken & fat free dressing - Lunch
Jerky or Rice Cakes - Snack
Grilled Chicken w/ steamed vegetables, sometimes plain baked potato
Around 8 bottles of water per day

First of all I actually don't think I am eating enough. I might need to add another 500 calories or so. I am never short of energy though and feel great.

What is the best diet plan for me to drop weight and burn fat? What percentage of my diet should come from fat, carbs & protein?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:09 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
+1 on staying away from pop if you want to loose weight but also don't pick up diet pop as an alternative; just because it has 0 calories doesn't mean that it won't affect other things down stream.

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Yea I was drinking 4-5 cans a day at least. I can't stand diet soda's, so I've resorted to just water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I drink a lot of water or iced tea. yoru right to stay away from diet soda its just chemicals. I went from 230 to 195 over the last year and a half. doing just what your doing, although I added a lot of fresh fruit as my snacks instead of things like jerky etc.

remeber its ok to have some fat in your diet as your body needs some, you just have to be balanced about it, it's ok to throw a bit of reduced fat sour cream on that baked potato, just don't drown it. its all about moderation. when I started out, I did seattle sutton, it was a great way to learn what I can and can not eat and also to learn what portions should actually be like. Ended up being cheaper than going grocery shopping as well. After doing that for a few weeks I was able to start preparing my own meals in a balanced manner and doing well from there on. I am back at my weight from when I was weight lifting in high school, and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are normal now. I am very happy at this point.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole
Yea I was drinking 4-5 cans a day at least. I can't stand diet soda's, so I've resorted to just water.
Good deal, that High Fructose Corn Syrup is your quickest route to Diabetes.

Edit: Also stay away from those TV dinners or pre-manufactured food in a box of any sort and try to cook on your own as much as you can. If you ever been in Europe, almost everyone has home cooked meals everyone eats a lot yet there are not nearly as many fatasses as there are here

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:

Last edited by .:K2:.; 11-09-2006 at 10:28 AM.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
+1 to Tony, get some fruit up in there

Chris
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
I drink a lot of water or iced tea. yoru right to stay away from diet soda its just chemicals. I went from 230 to 195 over the last year and a half. doing just what your doing, although I added a lot of fresh fruit as my snacks instead of things like jerky etc.
Unfortunately I don't really like fruit and I have allergic reactions to most.

I am keeping a journal online (my god I can't believe it has come to this) and I'm trying to set my targets per day on calories, carbs, protein, fats, sodium, etc...That's why I am curious about the percentages each should be on a diet to burn fat.
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

get some fiber in your diet then, bowl of raisin bran. fruit keeps the pipes clean.

Chris
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

if you cant do fruit, get some of the chewable fiber tablets and a good multi vitamin, nutrician is very important to a balanced system. also ewxperiment a little, you may be alergic to something else.

For the longest time I thought I couldn't handle red meat, as I would get sick after eating a big steak of burger, came to find out I was lactose intolerant, and it was the sour cream on the potato that went with the steak and the cheese on the burger that was upsetting my stomach.

sometimes it not what you would suspect.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

I do take a One-A-Day vitamin each morning.

If I tried some fruit cups, are those as good as fresh?
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

a one a day vitamin just gives you vitamins and minerals. gets some fiber in your diet before your colon gets upset.

Chris
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

loaded with corn syrup and sugar. bes thing you can do is find out what you can eat that fresh. also learn whats in season for instance I absofuckinlutly love water melon and had a jones for it the other day. so I said what the heck it cant be that bad this time of year, I took two bites and threw the damn thing out. it was horrible. do some research and make up a list of what you can an cant eat, load up on the stuff you can eat, great thing about fruit is you can cure your muchies craving as you can eat just about as much as you want and not gain any weight. and its healthy for you.

but seriously check out seattle sutton, a lot of guys do it just for nutrition sake when working out.

- Ronald Reagan

post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:05 PM

This will be an approximation: carbs 60%, fat 25%, and protein 15%. Fiber is a major carb that is overlooked in a lot of diets. It will help you feel full and help your digestion. You could also look at your protein intake and base that off of your body mass in kg, one lb. is equal to 2.2 kg, and multiply your body mass by .8. This will give you your protein requirements for the day. When looking at your fat intake try and keep your saturated and trans fats to a min. I would try and keep your total fat intake to less than 35% of your total calorie intake. As far as carbs go try to get most of your carbs from whole grain sources and vegetables. If you don't like fruit that is ok, as long as you get your fiber from the other sources mentioned all you will be missing is the sugar from the fruit. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

With almost anything, try to eat it in the form as close to what Nature gives it to us in.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaro4
This will be an approximation: carbs 60%, fat 25%, and protein 15%. Fiber is a major carb that is overlooked in a lot of diets. It will help you feel full and help your digestion. You could also look at your protein intake and base that off of your body mass in kg, one lb. is equal to 2.2 kg, and multiply your body mass by .8. This will give you your protein requirements for the day. When looking at your fat intake try and keep your saturated and trans fats to a min. I would try and keep your total fat intake to less than 35% of your total calorie intake. As far as carbs go try to get most of your carbs from whole grain sources and vegetables. If you don't like fruit that is ok, as long as you get your fiber from the other sources mentioned all you will be missing is the sugar from the fruit. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
Wow that is a whole lot of good info.

So lets say I base all of this off of a 2200 calorie diet.

60% carbs would be 1320 calories
25% fat would be 550 calories
15% protein would be 330 calories

These would be the ideal levels for losing fat?

I understand saturated and trans fats are bad, so the goal is to limit those. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get fiber into my diet. I'll probably end up with some pills.
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:07 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Wow that is a whole lot of good info.

So lets say I base all of this off of a 2200 calorie diet.

60% carbs would be 1320 calories
25% fat would be 550 calories
15% protein would be 330 calories

These would be the ideal levels for losing fat?

I understand saturated and trans fats are bad, so the goal is to limit those. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get fiber into my diet. I'll probably end up with some pills.
I'd flip the values for fat an protein. if you are trying to lower your % of body fat than why consume what your body requires when you should consume less and force your body what you already have stored up. Also I wouldn't measure Protein in Calories, measure it in grams instead. Someone mentioned the amount you should consume on a daily basis but that # can vary depending on if you are trying to build muscle or just keep your body on track.

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:16 PM

Hold up a sec. Before I or anyone can tell you how to eat, there's a couple key questions. What do you weigh (got that), how old are you, anything abnormal such as cholesterol or blood pressure? I need to know if you're 10lbs overweight or 100lbs overweight...if your bp is too high or too low, etc...only then can you get a sensible answer. It's easy to say "eat right", but each person is different. And with no bad feelings nagaro, I have to disagree off the bat with those percentages. 60-25-15 would be more of a runners intake. Where as if you're a weight lifter you would fancy the protein. If you're Joe Shmoe then there's always the Balance diet from about 10 years ago which is 40-30-30 and was quite popular. So I'll give you a hundred different answers right off the bat, it's simple for me to say this diet or that one. But if you want a better answer then we gotta go over who you are.

My initial guess that's pretty much a safe one to give for 90% of the people out there is to do exactly what you're doing. Many people who are current and former clients of mine had true problems with weight or strength. They aren't just a few pounds overweight that can be lost in a few weeks, but need programs created for them. The best way to do that is to take it slow. DO NOT...EVER...NEVER...simply hop into a diet program (especially extreme ones like Atkins) and think all is well. Work sensibly. If you eat a bag of chips every night after midnight and right before bed, then DON'T STOP eating a bag every night. Sure that would be ideal, but almost every person I've worked with doesn't have the capability or will to do so. So stop eating one bag out of the 5 nights you do it...next week only eat 3, and so on. Seems to me like you're doing ok...cutting out the junk food is a pretty good way to start.

Believe it or not cutting out something bad or not is still a shock on the body, so don't worry about trying to change your diet any further until you see that the weight loss has halted. Even after your weight has halted there are too many other factors that you can change before bothering with some other diet. Change your workout a bit, make sure your sleeping habits are good. You would be very amazed at how sleep factors in to not only your overall health and longevity, but to your weight!

So sensibility is key, but it's fine if you eat half a pizza every once in a while. The secret there is simple "every once in a while". Don't miss out on the spoiling things in life all the time, simply don't rely on them every day. As for adding fiber, don't forget that certain veggies have a lotta fiber too.
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:28 PM

Oh an to add a note regarding the will of leaving this food or that. When you first become motivated about something it's easy to quit, the key is to actually teach your body not just want it in your mind. That goes away. The mentality of "I'm never have a soda again." is like the honeymoon phase of a relationship...seems easy at first, but then time goes by and 1 is ok, then you can have a couple a week, then you're back to your old habits. So I'm suggesting to kill off the certain foods slowly because of that. Let your body adjust and the occasional craving still be filled. I wish I could tell you how many people seem to do spectacular for a few months and then after a while they are back to the way they were. You have to understand that the things you did to get you to 240lbs felt natural at the time, so right now you're trying to counter what your instincts were or are. And when losing weight, you need to plan ahead...forget losing 60lbs, you can do that in 1 day with lipo...convince and prove to yourself that you want that weight to stay off. Basically, look at the big picture beyond the 6 months of weight loss.

People work very well when there's a goal. We're motivated. If I'm motivated to train for the marathon then I have a set goal with a deadline and it makes it easy and organized to create a schedule to that date. Now once that marathon is over, what's my motivation to keep running? Next years marathon is now a year away (assuming I care to do it again) so now I need to set other small goals along the way until/unless it simply becomes routine and enjoyable all on it's own. Oh well...just thought I'd toss some more fuel on the fire.
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Biggy, thanks for the response.

I'm 224lbs & 6' 0" tall. 26 years old, and no health problems. My goal weight is about 180-185lbs and I would like to be lean.

Currently I run three times a week and I'll be starting a lifting program as well.
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:37 PM

Yea seems fine. Cut a few of the bad things, then cut some more of them...but it doesn't have to be forever. Once you're comfy with the running and your new diet...the lifting program should be your next focus...not on changing your diet even further.

Once you're settled in to weight training, running, and eating sensibly...if you have the desire to tinker with your training or diet, then that is the time to do it, once you've already been on the right track for a while.
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 08:11 PM

I don't get offended that easily from internet talk. But my response is all base from the RDA (recommended dietary allowances) for the general population. The information that I have given is good for any individual, with a little work on your part you can figure a few things out. If you need more validation checkout eatright.org. Things that I do to help get my fiber in is eat whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta.
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 08:31 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

I'm no expert, but from the personal experience I would recommend adding some soup as a part of the daily diet. At least once every three days. Soups go easy on your intestines and depending on what you throw in them, they can be a good source of virtually anything. They're also cheap and easy to prepare, plus, if you make a huge bowl, you can keep it in your fridge for a week or so microwaving when needed.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 PM

I took all of the guess work out of it and went with Seattle Sutton.

They make 3 meals per day, 7 days a week, and with 3 glasses of ff milk, you are at 2000 calories per day. The meals are decent, but have everything that you should be eating every day. There are 5 weeks where all the meals are different, and then it repeats .... all for around $100 per week.
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagaro4
I don't get offended that easily from internet talk. But my response is all base from the RDA (recommended dietary allowances) for the general population. The information that I have given is good for any individual, with a little work on your part you can figure a few things out. If you need more validation checkout eatright.org. Things that I do to help get my fiber in is eat whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta.
RDA = bad...I've posted why somewhere in this forum before.
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Check this out ..... http://www.mypyramid.gov/

This is the FDA's approved balanced diet.

Keep all of your coarbohydrates whole grain / complex ( no simple sugars )
limit fats, eat all the fresh veggies and fruit you want and get a sufficient
amount of protien.

Good luck

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

If you navigate the "my Pyramid" stuff correctly you can find one of these
customized for you.....

http://www.mypyramid.gov/downloads/w...et_2400_18.pdf

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:39 AM

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

A dozen of my friends, including myself (okay, 11 total) went on the weightwatchers plan. It's worked for all 11 of us. I used their online system for 3 months ($60), learned what I needed to know, and have been using that knowledge (free) every since. The important part about dieting is learning what "eating right" means, and then forming habits that let you do it without it feeling like you're sacrificing or missing out.

What weight watchers does well, is let you know just how bad some food is that you'd normally think was okay! For example, which is better... a regular Quiznos Turkey Bacon Ranch... or TWO Big Macs? hint: I haven't been to Quiznos is over a year now.

For every 3000 calories you take out of your diet, you'll lose one pound. 2 cans of soda a day at 140 calories each... = 1960 calories per week.

Replace that Chipotle burrito with a burrito bowl will save you 1/4 lb.

The key to any diet is to change your behavior and the way you decide what food to eat. Focusing on getting a perfect diet is a great way to discourage you from continuing.

Oh, and when you screw up... it's okay, a slip here and there slows progress... but once your habits are changed, it's not longer a diet... it's just eating.

btw: McDonalds isn't totally evil. Their ice cream cone is only 150 calories.
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Since this was bumped...

My diet is still going well. I'm down about 19lbs total in 23 days. I hit a wall last week and didn't lose any weight for about 5 days. I got through that and I figure I'll lose around 2-3 a week from now on.

Bad news is that my knee is totally f'd up. I can't even run right now. I did 10 minutes on Monday and had to stop because the pain is just that bad. Switched to the elliptical and I feel alright. I think it was a matter of too much too soon.

I'm weight training also and concentrating on getting my leg strength back up so I can begin running again. I plan to take a week off running and then try again. If it still hurts I'm going to go see a doctor.
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Since this was bumped...

My diet is still going well. I'm down about 19lbs total in 23 days.
jesus dude, that's fast. take it easy, and be consistent.

Chris
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
jesus dude, that's fast. take it easy, and be consistent.
Yea that's a bit fast...what he said above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode