Full body tune up - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Full body tune up

Hey all, first time posting here. About 2 weeks ago I stopped drinking alcohol in the hopes of getting my pudgy ass back into shape and I have a few questions. At the start of my first week I weighed 209lbs and was 18% bodyfat (I'm 6'2"). I've been hitting the gym hard 6 days a week and doing 30 min of cardio before breakfast and 45 minutes before bed.

By the start of my second week I was up to 215 lbs and was down to 15% bodyfat with a noticable difference in the size of my chest and shoulders. At the start of my second week I started taking creatine and whey protein to add to my workouts. I'm now at 217lbs and the chest/shoulders are looking better every day, but I've stopped losing fat (or so it seems, I'm no thinner in the belly than I was on 12/8). Is this a function of the protein supplement? I'm not looking to get any bigger than I am now, but I want to tighten myself back to where I was in HS, so should I cut the protein out of my diet?

My two problem areas are my belly (a little jiggle) and my man-boobs. I've been doing 400 situps a day and it isn't doing much good. I've always had a huge chest (I bench 295) but is there anyway to cut the fat off of this particular area (more reps, less weight?) or should I just keep lifting until the pecs absorb this flab?

Maybe all the questions are being asked too early, should I just keep trying what I've been doing and see how it goes?
Any advice would help, thanks guys.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:30 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i think you need more time invested into it.

to get in the zone your looking for depends on your body genetics and metabolism.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
1. it's only been 2 weeks
2. you can do a zillion sit ups, it wont make you lose belly fat
3. what are you measuring body fat with?
4. good luck

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

I don't know much, but my understanding is that to Cut fat: Lower simple carbs, higher aerobics, more wieght training.

Combined with a lower caloric intake than your body needs in a day equals reduction in fat. You cannot SPOT lose anything, but you can SPOT train. That tightens up the muscles in that specific area. But no 6-pack comes from sit-ups. The 6-pack is already there, you just can't see it... it comes from getting the fat out of the way so that it is visible.

Now, Biggy and the other pros know all the answers, trust what they say.

And BTW, 18% body fat is not bad at all. You may not be getting the correct reading if you think you are pudgy.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:32 AM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

you cant do sit ups to loose belly fat, and you cant do a chest workout to loose man-boobs, you can build your muscles under the fat by this but to remove the fat hit the cardio hardcore
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:35 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i must look like the hulk under all this fat

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

I lift at Lifetime fitness and the trainers there measured me for bodyfat. I'm not pudgy necessarily, I just store fat in certain places that suck, like my chest. I also look at the shape I was in back in HS and want to get closer to that (won state in swimming... go Cadets!).

So let me ask this then, if I'm happy with my size, is there any point in lifting the way I have? Do I need to be spending 1 1/2 hours lifting everyday or would I be better off with 30 min of weights and an extra hour of cardio to lose the fat? If this is the case, is there any point in taking either of those supplements?

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

I'd put some more time in...and possible try cutting some weight then adding it back as muscle. But I don't know much as I have only been hitting it hard for about 2 months now.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

if you're looking to lose weight take a good hard look at your diet. What are you eating? How many calories are you taking in a day? You can get on the treadmill for an hour but you'd be surprised how few calories that burns. The fastest way to see results is to cut your caloric intake, while maintaining some level of physical activity to prevent metabolic slow down.

Chris
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
if you're looking to lose weight take a good hard look at your diet. What are you eating? How many calories are you taking in a day? You can get on the treadmill for an hour but you'd be surprised how few calories that burns. The fastest way to see results is to cut your caloric intake, while maintaining some level of physical activity to prevent metabolic slow down.
This is the reason for me stopping drinking. When I drink I usually have 4-8 beers, even with lite beers, this adds up quickly. My diet is good, no fast food or soda, lots of meat/fish and I've cut calories too, I'm down to about 2000 a day now including supplements, this is a huge cut for me. Including booze, I was at about 4500 a day before. I'm going to give it another few weeks and see how things turn out but a good start nonetheless.

I feel so much better having stopped drinking, the only thing that sucks is when I'm with my boys at a bar and am drinking water, it feels awkward. Like going out to dinner with an ex girlfriend where at the end of the date you feel like kissing her goodnight but know that you can't anymore... it's just a strange feeling.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

dont give up drinking, just cut back on how often you do and instead of beers having something like jack&diet.

Chris
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:12 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

At 2000 calories a day you should be losing weight with your current weight around 215lbs. It's a slow process. I wish it was overnight
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:36 AM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
remember that the extra muscle you have will increase your BMR (base metaboliptic rate) to keep you burning thru the day.

But if you are content with current mass then drop a bit of time and shift it to cardio, But IMO DO IT RANDOM. Dont let the body know what the hell is going on. Then it can adjust. I would do a sheduale for a three weeks, Then BAM punch your scheduale in the face and then mess it up. that way you can kick the plateua of weight loss.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:52 AM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

Wasn't the first post supposed to be a joke? What good results can you achieve in two weeks?

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
Wasn't the first post supposed to be a joke? What good results can you achieve in two weeks?
Not a joke. I noticed results after the first 3 days. Getting back some of the tightness, muscles looking a bit more defined. Bear in mind that I had cut calories from garbage food completely and dropped my caloric intake by 50% +/- and started burning 1,000 +/- calories from cardio and was lifting for 1+ hour a day. The reason for my post was the apparent plateau effect that started at week 2.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
The reason for my post was the apparent plateau effect that started at week 2.
this is normal.

Chris
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:22 PM
[Online]

Quote:
Not a joke. I noticed results after the first 3 days. Getting back some of the tightness, muscles looking a bit more defined. Bear in mind that I had cut calories from garbage food completely and dropped my caloric intake by 50% +/- and started burning 1,000 +/- calories from cardio and was lifting for 1+ hour a day. The reason for my post was the apparent plateau effect that started at week 2.
OK

I know you can get some results in a few days, but why did you start taking food additives just a in a couple of weeks? Wouldn't it be more "normal" just to have a balanced diet?

I'm NO expert, NO bodybuilder and I'm fairly old-fashioned when it comes to taking any pills... Just sounds weird to me.

- Stas

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
OK

I know you can get some results in a few days, but why did you start taking food additives just a in a couple of weeks? Wouldn't it be more "normal" just to have a balanced diet?

I'm NO expert, NO bodybuilder and I'm fairly old-fashioned when it comes to taking any pills... Just sounds weird to me.
Not pills man, just protein shakes and some creatine... I'm not juicing here. I had read about the benefits of such supplements and figured, if it'll help the process, why not give it a shot. I mean, if I'm going to stop drinking and hinder my social life to get down to the size I want, I want to get to that size ASAFP.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

if you're looking to drop down in size first and foremost, save your money on supplements.

Chris
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 PM
[Online]

Quote:
Not pills man, just protein shakes and some creatine... I'm not juicing here. I had read about the benefits of such supplements and figured, if it'll help the process, why not give it a shot. I mean, if I'm going to stop drinking and hinder my social life to get down to the size I want, I want to get to that size ASAFP.
I guess BIGGY will say better on this , but from my own experience it's the wrong objective. Getting relatively fit is easy, even if you stress your body in the process. Constantly staying on top of your physical form should be the goal. If you give up your social life and all, sooner or later you will simply swing back into being a pudgy ass .

- Stas

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

There is nothing wrong with supplementing, but generally speaking the purpose of supplementing is to maximize muscle gain. Which is not your goal.

Chris
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:41 PM
[Online]

Quote:
I guess BIGGY will say better on this , but from my own experience it's the wrong objective. Getting relatively fit is easy, even if you stress your body in the process. Constantly staying on top of your physical form should be the goal. If you give up your social life and all, sooner or later you will simply swing back into being a pudgy ass .
NB: I'm saying this because I did it more than once.

- Stas

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
So let me ask this then, if I'm happy with my size, is there any point in lifting the way I have? Do I need to be spending 1 1/2 hours lifting everyday or would I be better off with 30 min of weights and an extra hour of cardio to lose the fat?
Keep your routine balanced. You want to (figuratively speaking) convert that fat to muscle.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
you cant do sit ups to loose belly fat, and you cant do a chest workout to loose man-boobs, you can build your muscles under the fat by this but to remove the fat hit the cardio hardcore
I just posted a thread regarding spot training a few days ago so check that one.

As for what's said above, not only that...but building muscle under the fat can actually make the area appear even bigger.

Weight gain when 'doing the right thing' is not as common, but I wouldn't worry yet. 1lbs of fat is a whole lot bigger than 1lbs of muscle.

Final note is to be very careful that you're not using the workouts as a free pass to other bad habits. I've seen more than once where someone starts working out, but then goes more out of control with their eating habits and they still end up gaining weight. But more often than not, some weight gain from the start is totally uncommon amongst guys, especially if you're not very overweight to begin with...you'll simply gain more muscle than burn fat. Give it a bit of time and your body should settle in somewhere.

Cardio before bed...no probs falling asleep after that? I know I'm wide awake after a mile or two of jogging
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Yea it doesn't really take any expertise to point that out, but everything that everyone is saying here seems pretty correct. I'm not gonna try and talk him outta taking supplements simply because I've personally posted enough on the topic. Fracker has more or less nailed it on the head though as have many others.

One thing I've learned over the years is that when it comes to working out, some people simply find something that works for them. And even if it's not the best choice, it's what gets them in the gym or out jogging, or whatever else...so I make suggestions when it seems more important such as tinkering with ketosis...because in those cases it could end up very critical to the rest of your life.

I've seen it all at the health clubs...heavily improper form leading to blown out knees, torn biceps (you should see the color the guys arm turned when he did that), arthritis, broken sternum (the wonders of open grip bench press), and a badly busted toe from the guy who MUST throw the weights at the end of each set for some reason. In the end I just keep my mouth shut unless asked or unless a vein is popped somewhere near me
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

i dont understand the thinking behind an open grip bench, open grip squat is even worse!!! Why do people do this?

Chris
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 04:21 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Lunges with a barbell across your shoulders.... those always turn out well
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
i dont understand the thinking behind an open grip bench, open grip squat is even worse!!! Why do people do this?
I might have told this story before, but I lifted before with a guy in the Navy...he is big for sure and flat out thick. Dropped 3 or 4 plates on his chest. Ain't no way I could get that off of him but we freed him pretty quickly with some additional help. Bar was bent, he went off to the hospital but was back in the gym and benching the next day, same style.

I will say that open grip *may* be ok if you want to stretch out your wrists a bit more or whatever other funky logic I've heard that I just shrug to, but that's assuming you're using some very light weights and not going to quickly either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode