Hey Biggy, got a ? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Hey Biggy, got a ?

I started lifting again and wanted to throw in some classic lifts like deadlifts, cleans, etc. I figure they'd be a great way to improve core strength, which should help my riding. I know my way around a weight room, but never really messed w/ those lifts. Any good resources as to form/technique?
Theres a ton of bad info on the net, so before I went googling it and following bad advice, I figured I'd ask the resident expert.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:19 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

I realize I'm not biggy but I'm all ya got right now.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

The olympic lifts on the right are the ones you want.
+ any kind of squat, deadlift, bench press, or overhead press.

That site is decent, click the exercises and they have animations and basic instructions. If you want to be serious about powerlifting I can send you somewhere else.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
I realize I'm not biggy but I'm all ya got right now.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

The olympic lifts on the right are the ones you want.
+ any kind of squat, deadlift, bench press, or overhead press.

That site is decent, click the exercises and they have animations and basic instructions. If you want to be serious about powerlifting I can send you somewhere else.
Good info, thanks!

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Screw heavy free weight shit for me anymore...fucked my back good doing Preacher Curls two or three years ago...no more; light free weights, machines and push-ups/sit-ups for me...

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
you screwed up your back doing preachers?! someone was cheating.

Chris
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
haha! Busted!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:37 PM

Deadlifts are good for your back, as long as you do them right.

Curls while arching your back...very, very bad.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:28 AM

If I were you, I would split the exercises up as a halfassed push, pull, and legs...and lift 3x a week. I say half assed because olympic lifts are all total body lifts, but this gives you a way to structure it so you aren't going to the gym and doing whatever you feel like. When people do that, they seem to focus only on the lifts that they like, or that they're already good at. Pick 3-4 exercises, and build each day around 1 or 2 big lifts. Pick 1 or 2 supporting exercises to go with the big 2 for each day.

push
-----
push press
bench press

pull
----
deadlift
lat pull down or any kind of row/pullup/chinup

legs
-----
clean/power clean
squat

Start very light, if you go to clean 200lbs and lose your grip, you'll decapitate yourself.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 AM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
olympic lifts kick ass
as soon as I'm cleared to lift legs again I'm going to start doing deadlift, cleans, squats, etc. again.

I'd say one of the main pointers would be try not to "round" your back as you do stuff like deadlift or cleans. keep your back straight or slightly arched. looking up at the ceiling during the lift helps me with this. if you start cheating when your legs get tired you'll be fucked in no time.

Like Jim says, go light at first, and get the form down.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:34 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I started lifting again and wanted to throw in some classic lifts like deadlifts, cleans, etc. I figure they'd be a great way to improve core strength, which should help my riding. I know my way around a weight room, but never really messed w/ those lifts. Any good resources as to form/technique?
Theres a ton of bad info on the net, so before I went googling it and following bad advice, I figured I'd ask the resident expert.
Sounds like someone needs to schedule a personal training class with Biggy

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

This book is part of an excellent series:

http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Tell-...515340-2604135

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
I actually screwed it up the first time picking a weight up to put away...something popped between my shoulder blades while i was doing the curls...hurt like a sumbitch. I don't do anything that puts stress directly on my back anymore.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:07 AM

I love olympic lifts because they'll get your cardio a little too. Powerlifting is what my focus used to be. The basic way to get started is light of course. You wanna do clean'n jerk, then learn with the bar. And your best bet might also be to find a guy in the gym who does them to watch your form and spot you. Olympic lifts are fast and give you a bit more opportunity to fall down and get hurt. So in perfecting your form, as cheesy as it may look, you may want to bring a camera to the gym and record yourself if there's no one around that can comment on your form. Then google a few web video's and see how experienced lifters do it.

Luckily there's not much room for big errors without you knowing it. A person can do leg presses incorrectly and not know it until they get some chronic pains. If you mess up on a jerk, you'll usually notice it right away

As for powerlifting, well you've got the bench, deadlift, and squat. I'll assume you know about bench and squats. The deadlift will basically give you a choice of 2 styles...stiff leg or sumo. Sumo is the true powerlifting lift and you will generally have an over/under hand grip meaning one hand grips the bar overhand and the other is underhand...your grip will 100% make a difference in the lift so see which combo works for you. When doing the sumo lift, the goal is to keep the bar as close to your body as possible...there wasn't a single powerlifting competition where my shins were not bleeding from scraping the bar up...you may or may not want to go that intense And the final key with the sumo lift is that it's using your legs...wide stance, and "squat" that bar up.

Now you're looking more for core strength so a stiff leg deadlift might be for you. However this one is also an obvious strain on your back, so be more careful with this lift than you would even be with the sumo. Straight back and use the hamstrings and lower back to lift. Upper back finishes the lift by locking yourself into position and squeezing the shoulder blades together a bit. But again, you can also do back hyperextensions to get your lower back...one of my favorites as well. *Make sure* that your legs and lower back are warmed up. I'm not a big fan of cold stretching muscles (stretching before you've done any work) and the stiff leg deadlift is very much a stretching exercise.

And most important or at the very least, just as important as your main lifts...you SHOULD do assistance exercises. Don't just do squats and call it a day. Do things like 'leg abductions' (machine where that women seem to like to work their thighs) as well as others. Don't forget to do obliques and all those little assistance muscle groups, etc... I can't possibly tell you how many guys I saw in competition who were massive and had brute strength, but their form and lifts struggled because you could see that they were weaker in other areas. Each of the lifts that we're talking about is a whole body lift. Almost every muscle you have is involved, so remember that. Hope that was enough info for ya.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 AM

One more thing...for help with getting some speed into your legs for some of the lifts. Do box jumps or other quick exercises.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
Screw heavy free weight shit for me anymore...fucked my back good doing Preacher Curls two or three years ago...no more; light free weights, machines and push-ups/sit-ups for me...
I wouldn't be surprised if preacher curls were one of the top causes of torn biceps. People go all the way till their arms are straight which is incorrect since it puts too much stress on your biceps and elbows. Most of the time I would guess that guys can stand and curl X number of pounds and want to come close to that weight on preachers so end up doing too much weight and often in bad form. Kinda makes me cringe every time because I saw a guys bicep after it tore from the bone and his whole arm was a nice ugly bruised color all because of a bad preacher curl. Only other lift where I see 4/5 doing in bad form is dumbell shrugs where guys rotate their shoulders as they shrug.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
Do things like 'leg abductions' (machine where that women seem to like to work their thighs) as well as others.
haha, why is that!??! They always gravitate to the abduction adduction machines, not that I dislike watching, but I find this an interesting occurance.

Quote:
Only other lift where I see 4/5 doing in bad form is dumbell shrugs where guys rotate their shoulders as they shrug.
That makes me shudder too at the thought of that strain on the rotators. I see it very often.

Chris
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:30 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

Quote:
Only other lift where I see 4/5 doing in bad form is dumbell shrugs where guys rotate their shoulders as they shrug.
That's funny because I read one description on how to do shrugs and it states to lift your shoulders and then rotate them backwards and down.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
haha, why is that!??! They always gravitate to the abduction adduction machines, not that I dislike watching, but I find this an interesting occurance.

Women like those machines for the same reason guys like to do crunches. Most folks still think that if you work that specific area, that it will burn the fat in that area. Guys got big guts, and women got big hips...doing that will make them smaller in their minds. Even if they know better, there's gotta be some level of mental whateverness that causes them to do it anyway. Still not bad in any case I guess.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole View Post
That's funny because I read one description on how to do shrugs and it states to lift your shoulders and then rotate them backwards and down.
Yeah ow. Just do them up and down, your shoulders will pop and grind the whole way around if you roll them with heavy weights.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole View Post
That is actually correct. A shrug is not just up and down. You actually want about a 75 degree angle. You use more of the trapezius. It is incorrect to do circles, but up and back is ok.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode