How do you handle stress? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
How do you handle stress?

Stress is slowly killing me It drains all my energies. I use to handle stress by "self-medicating" with alcohol, which lead to all kinds of difficulties in my personal life So I gave that up and started working out....running 3 miles a day, hitting the heavy bag, light weights and eating healthy. That seemed to be working well...then about 18 months ago, I started having "reactions" to something, my left eye on my infamous rain ride to Canada swelled almost shut. I thought it was a blocked tear duct, 3 days later it went away and I didn't think anything of it. Last June when I was leaving for for West Virginia and Deals Gap, I had a major "reaction", I was positive it was an allergeric reaction to something I had eaten, I was itchy all over, difficult breathing, and the left lower portion of my face was swollen like a balloon. It freaked out both MSL217 and Jammin, I downed 2 beneadryl caps and popped some Aleve crammed my helmet on and rode about 500 miles in about 9 hours. When I got to West Virginia, I basically rested for a day, popping beneadryl every 4 hours and in a couple of days I was fine. Again I suspected food allergies, but nothing made sense, I wasn't eating anything out of the ordinary, I don't eat alot of processed foods, and have always eaten plenty of fresh veggies and fruits, I thought it was a new pesticide or preservative they were using on fruits and veggies, so I cut down on the amount I was eating and making sure I was cleaning the stuff properly. I also tried narrowing down what was causing the "reactions" but nothing made sense, stuff that I thought was the problem, like fresh corn and strawberries didn't cause the reactions under "test conditions". My reactions seem to "go away" when I lightened my working out regime. Then the "reactions" seem go away, sure I gained back some weight, but my face stopped balloon up. I had no reactions for a couple months, then projects starting sucking the life out of me, and I was unhappy with my weight gain, I started working out in earnest again....then I started having reactions again, mainly my eyes swelling up. The "reactions" seem to present themselves when I'm internalizing stress, working out now seems to "hurt" me more than ever, even with new runners and running on the machine, the balls of my feet hurt So I'm almost positive all my health problems are stressed related. I have no idea where to go from here and looking for some thoughts.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Bring it on!!!!

Sportbike: Honda F6B
Years Riding: Since 98
How you found us: Friend, Motobeagle-RIP

Not being able to workout sucks. I think you need a motorcycle trip out west. You seemed okay then.

Anti-drama
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

It always amazes me how stress effect the body. Causes headaches, migraines, swelling, vomiting, heart attacks, etc.

I don't know if just changing activities is going to reduce stress. It may relieve it, but it will be right back when the situation changes. Its like drinking, every thing is all good while you have a buzz, but you can't maintain a buzz forever.

Rick, I don't like the idea of seeing a counsler, but in some cases, its probably the best thing.

I myself, use a priority approach. I try to deal with only the big stuff, causing aggravation. Also I turn to my wife, and let her handle what she can, which is a huge help. I guess what I'm trying to say is ask for help from others, to releive as many tasks as possible. Understand these tasks won't be done the way you would do them, but at least they are taken care of.

Deal with the root of the problem.

If this continues, please seek professional help. We've never met, but I do enjoy having you around.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

I don't know Rick. From my experience you have to find your own way of dealing with the stress in your life, and if that doesn't work, maybe make the decision to leave the stressful environment. The worse stress I had was in college, Math and Comp Sci put many gray hairs on my head and gave me a mean spasmatic left eye twitch throughout college. What worked for me then was knowing I only had a few more years to deal with that environment. Months after leaving school, I have never had an eye twitch again. Good luck, and I hope you find something that works.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasguzzler View Post

Not being able to workout sucks. I think you need a motorcycle trip out west. You seemed okay then.
I was okay then...I started off paranoid that I would have issues, but once we left my places the world was right I can't wait for the CO/UT trip

post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout67 View Post
It always amazes me how stress effect the body. Causes headaches, migraines, swelling, vomiting, heart attacks, etc.

I don't know if just changing activities is going to reduce stress. It may relieve it, but it will be right back when the situation changes. Its like drinking, every thing is all good while you have a buzz, but you can't maintain a buzz forever.

Rick, I don't like the idea of seeing a counsler, but in some cases, its probably the best thing.

I myself, use a priority approach. I try to deal with only the big stuff, causing aggravation. Also I turn to my wife, and let her handle what she can, which is a huge help. I guess what I'm trying to say is ask for help from others, to releive as many tasks as possible. Understand these tasks won't be done the way you would do them, but at least they are taken care of.

Deal with the root of the problem.

If this continues, please seek professional help. We've never met, but I do enjoy having you around.

Ken I was dreading that someone would suggest professional help

post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
Like I said, I don't like the idea, but sometimes it the only right choice. Sorry.

Really though look for ways of unloading tasks. Accept help from others. If you delegate people in the work place, have some of your trusted employees take care of some stuff, to lighten the load.

I can see this as a problem to those who micro manage everything.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 AM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
Maybe a visit to Dr. Daniels, Dr. Walker, or Dr. Beam?

I hear they work wonders!
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditCPA View Post
Maybe a visit to Dr. Daniels, Dr. Walker, or Dr. Beam?

I hear they work wonders!
I have been thinking of that!

post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Not to point out the obvious, but have you seen a doctor for a full physical? Or an allergist for testing?

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
get the physical stuff checked out by a doctor.

as for stress, just let it go. Get a massage, rub one out, take a nap. Then remember that "life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend".

Chris
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
"life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend".
We can work it out
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Try to see it my way

(Yea for Beatles sing-a-longs )

Eric
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 AM

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

You're probably not going to like this, but maybe it's time to tour around the world on that Duc full time. If you're at a place where you can do it, ditch the 9-5! (or 7 - 7 as the case may be).

Another thing to consider -- a lot of anxiety has a biochemical component. I doubt you'll like this idea, but speaking from personal experience, all of my best friends that I've known for years have sought help for their "firecracker" behaviors and have really benefited from VERY LOW doses of Zolof or something similar. I know there are a lot of stereotypes or hard-headed principles against stuff like this (I sure used to have them) but seeing how they've freed so many of my friends from the struggles they've had in just dealing with stress and the improvements in their marriages and relationships with their family and friends (WITHOUT changing their personalities), I have a new attitude about helping people in this way. My mind has really been opened. We know so much more about anxiety and depression than we did just 5 years ago, it's amazing. What else is profound is the very same quirky-weirdness that drew me to my friends (as well as you) is still there -- only the suffering is substantially abated.

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Wooohooo

Sportbike: 2007 GSXR-600K7
Years Riding: Year 3
How you found us: This isn't where I parked my car.

Send a message via AIM to XxMarsxX Send a message via MSN to XxMarsxX
Just "let it be"

-Mo
post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:00 AM

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

pffft. The Beatles are so played out. I'm so sick of them...

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I am on the train to killing someone as well at this point. The Stress I am dealing with at work is getting to the unbearable point, and unfortunately I am the only one who can deal with these problems as anything that resembles a co-worker has been laid off in the last few years. I am plagued with headaches, my mood is foul, I have muscle spasms in my upper back, haven't had a good nights sleep in a very long time, haven't been on a vacation since 2005 and am sooo damn angry at all times I want to smack the shit out of someone. Yet I keep such a mild mannered demeanor on the outside.

Stress is everywhere.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

+ 1 to Kim. Rick you need to seek the help of a professional (M.D.) in the medical field. In my humble opinion none of the facts that you have presented here point to stress as the root cause of your issues, but then again I am not an M.D.
As far as the suggestion of a mental heath professional's advice being "dreaded" on your part, suck it up and swallow your pride. Anybody that suggests that the help of a mental health professional as not being a prudent course of action is ignorant of the facts; don't fall prey to this. Don't get me wrong, I understand that there is still a social stigma associated with seaking out this type of help, but recognize the root cause of said stigma for what it is.
You have a good amount of personal observation acquired at this point that you have to make sure that you pass on to the M.D. should you choose to seek one out. MAKE SURE YOU RELAY THIS to him or her in it's entirety; DO NOT LET THEM gloss over you relaying this to them; if they do, then seek the help of another.
Good luck to you. I wish you the best.

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"
post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Some good advice here...

WOuld also inquire about your caffine / stimulant intake, too much is obviously not good.

How do you sleep ? Quantity / Quality ?

Do you always feel pressured with a list of things to do ?

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

See a doctor already and stop asking for health advice on a motorcycle message board.
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Or just do like I do, sever all your personal relationships and become a recluse, then drive around mumbling or yelling to yourself till you think your going to go nuts. Occasionally blow up on some nameless clerk in a store till your bloodpressure gets so high your vision go's blurry. Oh and then break something.

Works for me.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:00 AM

Sportbike: CBR1000/GSXR1000
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Buddy

Send a message via MSN to BFLY
Rick,
Thanks for putting out in the open.

Tony,
I can relate all to well.

過労死
--------------------------------------------
Brian
Nesba #98
CBR1000
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:09 AM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
See a doctor already and stop asking for health advice on a motorcycle message board.
+100000

I've seen it several times when people blamed stress / other stuff on a purely physiological problem. And it can even be that it is easy to get rid of. I would talk to a physician, not a psychiatrist.

As far as the stress goes - it depends. Everyone finds something for himself/herself. Personally, I find that being around calm and happy people that are never affected by stress helps a lot. Copy what they do, something will click.

Also, from my personal experience, yoga can make a whole lot of difference - its purpose is to drive stress away. It is also a great substitute for exercise.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

All things are good suggestions and as pointed out: You'll have to try different things to find what works for you.

On a personal level:

Eat properly, sleep properly and be willing to 'let go' of things you are worried about but can't honestly fix or deal with. Don't view the last part as a 'defeat' or a capitulation, look at it as wisdom. Why worry about something that's happening in a month now? You'll give yourself 30 days of stress and it will transpire on the day whether you worry about it each and every day or not.

On another level, carve out time FOR YOU on a regular basis. Again, this requires letting go of the handle bars of the stressful ride of life and telling yourself it's OK to be GOOD TO YOU for a while. Some people like to 'beat themselves up' in life and not allow themselves fine moments; for whatever reason denying themselves as if they've not earned that right or have a sense of guilt instilled in them from an early age (either from parents, teachers or religion).

It sounds like you're carving out time for you but if you look at what you are choosing, you're filling it with stressful activity and busy work (except for the alcohol which at least you admit isn't the best thing to turn towards and it is a depressant so it may just be smothering a hyper active mind).

Can you literally sit and do nothing? Can your mind handle it or does your mind always feel like you need to be doing 'something' like it's some driving urge? Enjoying 'nothingness' is a pretty neat thing to do. A favorite Office Space quote: "I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be"

Some people can't turn off their brain like that... that's where I'm really going with this ramble...

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Curb your dogma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
I would talk to a physician, not a psychiatrist.
A psychiatrist is a physician.

edit:Not trying to be a prick. It is a common mistake made by many.

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"

Last edited by Phily-D; 03-29-2007 at 10:17 AM.
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=Fracker;758133Also, from my personal experience, yoga can make a whole lot of difference - its purpose is to drive stress away. [/QUOTE]

His Star Wars wisdom, and funny voice are relaxing aren't they?
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily-D View Post
Whatever. I mean the one who takes care of anal-retentive attention to detail.

Thanks for correcting - I actually meant a "shrink".

- Stas

post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Curb your dogma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily-D View Post

edit:Not trying to be a prick. It is a common mistake made by many.

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:23 AM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditCPA View Post
His Star Wars wisdom, and funny voice are relaxing aren't they?
Truly relaxing you, they are

- Stas

post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:24 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Or just do like I do, sever all your personal relationships and become a recluse, then drive around mumbling or yelling to yourself till you think your going to go nuts. Occasionally blow up on some nameless clerk in a store till your bloodpressure gets so high your vision go's blurry. Oh and then break something.

Works for me.
LOL classic One of my first jobs was customer service. What you described was about 1 out of every 5 customers we dealt with.

Rick, you know there is a whole "science" about life energy. It has to do with fasting and things like that. It believes working out, jobs, eating, etc all lower the immune system. There has to be a balance of "energy" expenditure and "energy" creation. You seem out of balance and your body is telling you this by your "reactions".

Perhaps your physical workouts and lifestyle is too much for what your body can handle. Perhaps you are not allowing your body enough "rest" for what you put it through.

Let's face it, your not 20 years old anymore. Might be time to slow down, bro. No offense, just stating my opinion.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 03-29-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode