Protein Post Workout? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater

Sportbike: F3
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: AJCrowley/NESBA

Send a message via Yahoo to JackPot
Protein Post Workout?

I found this great product that a body building friend of mine just loves. This paticular one is made by Protica and is called Profect. It comes in this test tube looking thing, and depending which one you buy can have 25 or 50g of protein. It's only 2.9oz and comes in different fruit flavors. So I tuck it in my bag and immediately after a workout slam one down. It's 100 calories, no sugar and no carbs, therefore has an extremely low glycemic index. They are a little pricey however.

That being said I am also looking for a reccomendations on a protein powder to mix up during the day at work. I've been using the one I buy at Xsport, but I heard there are better.

My requirements are: it has to taste good and not be gritty, has to be VERY low in sugar (under 5 grams per serving) and as most, I'd prefer a whey protein.

Nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
optimium nutrition. it's the best.

Chris
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM

isopure...check it out, tatse good. for protien at least

http://www.a1nutrition.com/productli...FSMggQodB1QpYg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
qfe

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
Quote:
+1

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondoctor00 View Post
isopure...check it out, tatse good. for protien at least

http://www.a1nutrition.com/productli...FSMggQodB1QpYg
Over priced and over rated.

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Facilitator

Sportbike: '03 Honda CBR 600RR
Years Riding: 12+
How you found us: a good friend

no expload, protein, glutamine....holy trinity ftw

www.ytmnd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert
..I didn't mind once gas hit $4.xx a gallon, I just figured I was getting better gas.
XBOXLIVE: BBSarge69

"Yeah, It's the one that says Bad Motherfucker.."

Mike
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Optimium Nutrition... I usually buy in the 10lb bags... I like the Vanilla flavor.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiebert View Post
ON... I usually buy in the 10lb bags... I like the Vanilla flavor.
ugh, Choco for the win.

Chris
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiebert View Post
Optimium Nutrition... I usually buy in the 10lb bags... I like the Vanilla flavor.
chocolate foo!

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Sportbike: an invisible one
Years Riding: Wifes been riding me for years
How you found us: KeyHole

Taste is great http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/matrix.html

If my calculations are correct, this will create ice... OH NO, KILLER MUSTARD GAS!
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
One day at a time

Sportbike: BIKELESS!
Years Riding: 5yrs
How you found us: member: rdrash

Is taking the protein after workouts for gaining weight? Or does it actually help in the healing of muscles? Reason I ask is, I lift but don't really want to "put on weight" knowing that I'll put on weight naturally by building muscle. That being said, does anyone know of a good product mainly for helping muscle regeneration? Is Creatine good?

thanks,

"The first attempt is always the most difficult."
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:05 PM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

Optimum Nutrition is certainly the best. Recent price increases are starting to piss me off though!
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewiz View Post
Is taking the protein after workouts for gaining weight? Or does it actually help in the healing of muscles? Reason I ask is, I lift but don't really want to "put on weight" knowing that I'll put on weight naturally by building muscle. That being said, does anyone know of a good product mainly for helping muscle regeneration? Is Creatine good?

thanks,
Gaining weight is a byproduct of building muscle, and building muscle helps you lose fat, so overall you will gain slightly if you are not on a weight gainer product. Protein is what muscles need to recover from the tearing and breaking down of muscle tissue when you workout. Recovery is when the muscles grow larger and stronger and the protein helps this process go faster and work better. Recovery is just as important as the exercise, and if you don't do that correctly then you are wasting your time. There is an optimal 30 minute window that your muscles will accept nutrients much better for recovery. Take protein within that time to optimize recovery.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:

thanks,
well when you work out youre essentially tearing your muscle, which rebuilds itself, so the protein is what it needs to rebuild itself faster and also bigger. muscle will equal weight but its better than the weight you have from fat, no? if you want to build muscle proteins a must, roughly 1gram per pound of body weight. so as you can see im having issues with intaking 200g of protein a day

speaking of intake, what do people here do for lunch at work, im getting tired of spending $5-$10 everyday but i need a lunch that has high protein intake but is also healthy and could be brought in to lunch. this way im not chowing down on whoppers emptying my wallet while expanding my stomach

post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

make sure you are having SOME carbs with your protein... a slight raise in blood sugar levels from some carbs will increase the uptake of protein in the bloodstream. while the whole "low carb" craze is still here a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein is best post-workout so have some friggin' carbs people.
post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

I use BSN.

Under200
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is taking the protein after workouts for gaining weight? Or does it actually help in the healing of muscles? Reason I ask is, I lift but don't really want to "put on weight" knowing that I'll put on weight naturally by building muscle.
thanks,

The protein is for recovery. After you lift and feel that 'burn' that so many talk about (actually small tears in the muscle) you need to help try to heal that muscle, which is what protein does. My nutritionist suggested getting protein and potassium in your body within 45 mins - 1 hr following a heavy workout for maximum results.

Now, I'm a small girl at only 5' so I don't necessarily want to gain any weight, I would actually like to loose a little more. Lifting builds muscle which is heavier and denser than fat...so scales are deceiving. When I started lifting seriously I gained weight on the scale, but I lost inches on my waist, arms, and bust (Boo!), but my clothes fit much better.

I am trying to loose fat % now, and am only slightly concerned with what the scale reads. I've kicked up my cardio and increased my weights and decreased my reps.

Nicole
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
speaking of intake, what do people here do for lunch at work, im getting tired of spending $5-$10 everyday but i need a lunch that has high protein intake but is also healthy and could be brought in to lunch. this way im not chowing down on whoppers emptying my wallet while expanding my stomach
I see a nutiritonist every 4 weeks. We go over my nutrition requirements, my goals and my progress. I eat 6 times a day (I feel like I am eating ALL day at work!). My meals are VERY tasty and very nutritionally dense.

I work a 4 day week so I'm there from 6:30 - 5:00. I eat all but one meal at work. I bring things like eggs (hard boiled), grilled chicken, tuna, brown rice or whole grain coucous (both a GREAT source of carbs for the day), raw and grilled veggies (George foreman grills are great for grilling veggies), Bananas and oatmeal (another great source of carbs and fiber).

I always start my day with a high protein, high fiber meal. I usually try a cup of Kashi (13g protein, 10 g fiber per servng) with a packet of splenda, 1/2 cup skim milk and either a hard boiled egg or a banana. I also end my day with a high fiber, high protein meal.

I try to bring home cooked food as often as I can...only eating out once a week or so. I keep strict track of my caloric intake, protein, carb, fiber and fat intake as well.

This has worked really well for me.

Nicole
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPot View Post
The protein is for recovery. After you lift and feel that 'burn' that so many talk about (actually small tears in the muscle) you need to help try to heal that muscle, which is what protein does. My nutritionist suggested getting protein and potassium in your body within 45 mins - 1 hr following a heavy workout for maximum results.

Now, I'm a small girl at only 5' so I don't necessarily want to gain any weight, I would actually like to loose a little more. Lifting builds muscle which is heavier and denser than fat...so scales are deceiving. When I started lifting seriously I gained weight on the scale, but I lost inches on my waist, arms, and bust (Boo!), but my clothes fit much better.

I am trying to loose fat % now, and am only slightly concerned with what the scale reads. I've kicked up my cardio and increased my weights and decreased my reps.

Nicole
yea for some reason i dont hear of many girls who lift weights they are like afraid of getting ripped or something by gaining muscle weight and they dont wanna gain weight, they think weight = fat. noooo you build muscle because muscle burns fat making your other exercises like cardio more effective dropping fat and makin you look smokin.

post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 PM
One day at a time

Sportbike: BIKELESS!
Years Riding: 5yrs
How you found us: member: rdrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiperf View Post
Recovery is just as important as the exercise, and if you don't do that correctly then you are wasting your time.
Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I've been doing it all wrong.
This statement is interesting to me because I could potentially not be getting all I could out of working out.
I've not used anything to "recover" after workouts. Are you saying I "could be" gaining more muscle if I used some sort of recovery supplement?

If you take the same person and clone him for example, they both have the same workout routine, one takes recovery supplement and one doesn't, the one that does will be "bigger" "stonger?"

thanks for the advice!

"The first attempt is always the most difficult."
post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I've been doing it all wrong.
This statement is interesting to me because I could potentially not be getting all I could out of working out.
I've not used anything to "recover" after workouts. Are you saying I "could be" gaining more muscle if I used some sort of recovery supplement?

If you take the same person and clone him for example, they both have the same workout routine, one takes recovery supplement and one doesn't, the one that does will be "bigger" "stonger?"

thanks for the advice!
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt2.htm

this is basically the skibby of it all

post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Recovery = nutrition intake & rest

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
yea for some reason i dont hear of many girls who lift weights they are like afraid of getting ripped or something by gaining muscle weight and they dont wanna gain weight, they think weight = fat. noooo you build muscle because muscle burns fat making your other exercises like cardio more effective dropping fat and makin you look smokin.
I workout with all guys. Women seem WAY too intimidated to hit the weight room with all the guys there. Even back in my 'fat' days many years ago I was never intimidated. Infact, I found most of the guys REALLY willing to help me get into shape! I started with 5 lbs weights...I was overweight, had no strength and just wanted to loose weight. Once I started to get serious the pounds started to quickly melt away (I also discovered raisinettes are not a food group..LOL!). I kicked up the cardio, and hired a trainer and found a nutritionist. So my obsession with nutrition and working out started because I wanted to loose weiht. Once I lost the weight I slowly started wanting more, now I want more definition and to drop body fat % (the only way to truely get 'ripped').

Nicole
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:K2:. View Post
Recovery = nutrition intake & rest

On a side note, they should post this up in the gym: "Please take your protein shakes after you hit the weight room. The levels of sulfer gas have been recorded at lethal levels. Thanks for cooperating"

Last edited by Mort82; 08-06-2007 at 01:53 PM.
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
Jackpot: what do you spend a week on groceries/supplements? Just wondering...

I've lost about 35 lbs in the past year or so.. at about 189 and 5'11 now. I need to drop about another 19 lbs of fat while maintaining my current muscle mass. I think it's time to ramp up the diet. I have to give up alcohol on the weekends and eating out. It's really hard to find time to cook and prepare all these meals.

What i've been doing for the past year is living off of subway, and disgustingly plain sandwiches with processed low fat meat. I occasionally cook a chicken breast but I hate cooking!

teets

Last edited by Flounder; 08-06-2007 at 02:16 PM.
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 02:51 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPot View Post
I workout with all guys. Women seem WAY too intimidated to hit the weight room with all the guys there. Even back in my 'fat' days many years ago I was never intimidated. Infact, I found most of the guys REALLY willing to help me get into shape! I started with 5 lbs weights...I was overweight, had no strength and just wanted to loose weight. Once I started to get serious the pounds started to quickly melt away (I also discovered raisinettes are not a food group..LOL!). I kicked up the cardio, and hired a trainer and found a nutritionist. So my obsession with nutrition and working out started because I wanted to loose weiht. Once I lost the weight I slowly started wanting more, now I want more definition and to drop body fat % (the only way to truely get 'ripped').

Nicole
My Hero! I wish I was as dedicated and motivated as you, Nicole!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
+1 mostly because they let other companies do the big R&D and then simply release a similar product for a fraction of the cost and don't tax you for some big name brand.
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
My Hero! I wish I was as dedicated and motivated as you, Nicole!
It's easy to stay motivated when you have learned to look forward to your workouts, and see results. I've maintained my weight and healthy lifestyle for over 5 yrs.

I have however become the person EVERYONE hates..lol! I am like a walking nutrition guide. I can't go into a Cold Stone without letting everyone I'm with know exactly how much fat and calories are in what they are eating..LOL! I still indulge, but my cold stone 'treat' is their sugar free/fat free sweet cream. This stuff is GREAT!!! Hard to believe it is so low in calories/fat.

I have also learned to cook and bake low fat and healthy without sacraficing any taste. Ask Wink and the guys at BHF a few weeks ago. I made a lower carb/lower sugar choc chip and pecan cookie for the BBQ...they were gone LONG before the BBQ. They are so good, you'd never know they aren't the 'real thing'. I also make a cheesecake to rival Eli's with 1/4 the calories and fat!

Nicole
post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Sportbike: ??<-COMING SOON
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Some dude

Nicole

Wow all I can say is that is awesome, they say a journey of a thousand mile begins with a single step. Keep walking! I admire people with the discipline and attitude like you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode