running guidance needed - Page 2 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Miltary.com -- "Improve your PFT run time"

For your distances, this is the best resource. I've used it and it works. http://www.military.com/military-fit...r-pft-run-time

And yes, go to Dick Pond's or Fleet Feet and get decent shoes. If you're never going to run again after this I suppose I would condone just getting something at DSW that fits. Get 1/2 size bigger than what you think fits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

Sportbike: 2002 Triumph Sprint RS 955i
Years Riding: never enough!
How you found us: gpz1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
what does your liver have to do with anything?
I always though it was liver (it would be too embarrassing to find out otherwise so many year later ) that hurts under heavy blood flow when running hard with no appropriate training. Short bursts I'm perfectly fine with but anything over 300 m (I'm guessing at this point) of continuous running at I'd say faster than 7 mi/h makes it hurt right where the liver is (that's why I thought it is). It stops literally less than a minute after i stop running. I've had this sh..t as long as I remember myself running any long enough distances. 100m was my all time favorite but I hated long runs with passion - I guess too annoying or boring to run in circles . In any case, I could be wrong in my assumptions I suppose.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
Miltary.com -- "Improve your PFT run time"

For your distances, this is the best resource. I've used it and it works. http://www.military.com/military-fit...r-pft-run-time

And yes, go to Dick Pond's or Fleet Feet and get decent shoes. If you're never going to run again after this I suppose I would condone just getting something at DSW that fits. Get 1/2 size bigger than what you think fits.
Thanx a bunch for the link. Great stuff. What's in regards to shoes - I got a New Balance Motion Control. It made a world of difference to jump in them after the crap I was in. I mean my feet didn't start running by themselves but it felt sooooo much better I thought I made a right choice (at least judging by price I paid )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

My advice to you is this . Make sure you know your way home if you run too far.

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
My advice to you is this . Make sure you know your way home if you run too far.
I have two stars showing me the way back
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60mg View Post
100m was my all time favorite but I hated long runs with passion - I guess too annoying or boring to run in circles .
I'm gonna pull the BS card. I've never met anyone that favored the 100 that was worried about a 300 (again, who runs a 300?). And you say you have touble running over 7 MPH? Much less, slowing down the pace and running a sub 12 min. mile. That's slow as fuck. What's the real story?
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:21 AM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditech View Post
I'm gonna pull the BS card. I've never met anyone that favored the 100 that was worried about a 300 (again, who runs a 300?). And you say you have touble running over 7 MPH? Much less, slowing down the pace and running a sub 12 min. mile. That's slow as fuck. What's the real story?
Ooh. Iiiinteresting!!
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditech View Post
You can pull all BS cards you want but since I started running (mostly involuntary at school ) I was always much better at short distances than anything longer than a lap. Even then, at the end of that lap I was spitting my lungs out I was so out of breath if it was "lets-see-who's-faster" run. Any more or less significantly long run would normally make me switch to walking after the third lap the most. I have no idea what the hell was (or still is) going on there but my first guess was that I'm perhaps doing something wrong. Unfortunately for me I could never get any help on this subject for variety of reasons (the biggest one of course is me). I never had a need to be running long stretches anyhow.
Regardless, now I have this test that I have to pass and I'm back to the issue. That's in particular why I'm here, so perhaps someone could correct something I'm doing wrong and very likely do not even know or see it or at least show me some direction. I quit smoking 5 years ago, I'm working out 5 days out of 7. I'm 5'10" at 179lb. I feel some progress going on but suspect it would be more productive with some direction. So, a friend of mine a little while ago mentioned that CLSB (which I wasn't a very frequent visitor of) has a runners corner, so there I was asking questions. I know nothing about running other than I perhaps bought some nice pair of running shoes. Does some of it sounds like BS? Perhaps. Only 'coz have no knowledge of how to organize it. Now, can someone help me on this subject?
Thank you all in advance
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:56 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Now, can someone help me on this subject?
Really, military.com was my best resource when I was starting from zero. It's designed for beginners and it's simple enough for the jarheads to understand

Google some of the aches and pains you feel (e.g., "ankle tenderness after running") and you should find some thoughts/ideas that are helpful to you. It's a learn as you go thing.

And feel free to run anything by this group. For every one person who calls BS there's another who thinks it's legitimate, 2 who think the argument is funny, 2 who don't give a shit, 4 who like to stir the pot and piss the first two people off, and several hundred more who haven't even read the thread.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
I have no idea what the hell was (or still is) going on there but my first guess was that I'm perhaps doing something wrong.
You have no endurance. Nothing is wrong. You're not born with the athletic ability to run long distances(unless you're etheopian or something) you have to work for it.

Chris
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
Really, military.com was my best resource when I was starting from zero. It's designed for beginners and it's simple enough for the jarheads to understand

Google some of the aches and pains you feel (e.g., "ankle tenderness after running") and you should find some thoughts/ideas that are helpful to you. It's a learn as you go thing.

And feel free to run anything by this group. For every one person who calls BS there's another who thinks it's legitimate, 2 who think the argument is funny, 2 who don't give a shit, 4 who like to stir the pot and piss the first two people off, and several hundred more who haven't even read the thread.
Thanks again for the site. I'm going through it right now.

BTW, does anyone know by any chance any place in NW suburbs (around Palatine) with some marked trails where I can more or less precisely time myself at?
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Try using mapmyrun.com to create your own routes with exact distances.

Chris
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Thanks again for the site. I'm going through it right now.

BTW, does anyone know by any chance any place in NW suburbs (around Palatine) with some marked trails where I can more or less precisely time myself at?
Go to mapmyrun.com
There are tons of marked runs already planned out on that site. So many, in fact, that you'll spend some good time trying to find a few near you that you like. The best ones have mile markers (e.g., "this is a 3 mile run starting at X and ending at Y. Mile 1 is the intersection of a&b, mile 1.5 is the intersection of c&d, and then to complete the 3 miles you turn around and go back to X").
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
You have no endurance. Nothing is wrong. You're not born with the athletic ability to run long distances(unless you're Ethiopian or something) you have to work for it.
No I'm no Ethiopian and yes I understand what you're saying.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

thanks a bunch.
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

anyone knows any of those red rubber covered tracks somewhere in north suburbs accessible to the public by any chance? I live by Buffalo Grove high school but suckers close it as far as I know as well as Stevenson High
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Run barefoot on trails or grass
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Sportbike: Honda RS 125
Years Riding: just starting to learn
How you found us: accidentally

Quote:
anyone knows any of those red rubber covered tracks somewhere in north suburbs accessible to the public by any chance? I live by Buffalo Grove high school but suckers close it as far as I know as well as Stevenson High
If you're still training, just run on the same stuff you plan on running on for your test. I might be wrong but by reading some of your posts it sounds like you're weak mentally when it comes to working out. You don't need a fancy place to run. You don't need energy drinks or crazy supplements. Eliminate the things that you won't always have access to. Go run outside anywhere and time yourself to see your progress. Take advantage of this hot, humid weather to train. Drink plenty of water, replace those lost electrolytes, and eat healthier. Everyone feels the same pain you do when they train. The ones who suck it up and train harder, succeed. Suck it up!

Any updates on your times?

-Jaime

RIP Ashwin 788
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
If you're still training, just run on the same stuff you plan on running on for your test. I might be wrong but by reading some of your posts it sounds like you're weak mentally when it comes to working out. You don't need a fancy place to run. You don't need energy drinks or crazy supplements. Eliminate the things that you won't always have access to. Go run outside anywhere and time yourself to see your progress. Take advantage of this hot, humid weather to train. Drink plenty of water, replace those lost electrolytes, and eat healthier. Everyone feels the same pain you do when they train. The ones who suck it up and train harder, succeed. Suck it up!

Any updates on your times?
The situation has changed since my previous posts. I'm muuuuch better now. I guess running 4 days a week helps after all . But the running track ... it's what I'm going to be running on at the test, that's the reason I'm looking for it. In any case, thanks a bunch for reply. Working on sucking it up
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
The situation has changed since my previous posts. I'm muuuuch better now. I guess running 4 days a week helps after all . But the running track ... it's what I'm going to be running on at the test, that's the reason I'm looking for it. In any case, thanks a bunch for reply. Working on sucking it up

Barrington High School.....I think try.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Everybody! Clap your...

thanks a bunch. I hope it's open to the public. if not, I found Harper College has it open for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode