Old Bikes? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

Old Bikes?

Hey all,

I have been going to a few NESBA events as a spectator/pit bitch (mostly at BHF) and I was wondering what the take is on "vintage" bikes. I have a 1975 Honda CB360 that is in pieces in boxes for spare parts in my garage. I have been mulling over the idea of rebuilding it to the bare essentials and making a vintage trackbike out of it as a slow process. However I did not find anything on AHRMA too encouraging. I have ZERO track experience and I read something about needing 2 years of track experience or a road racing license.

Anyway I am kinda deciding between keeping the bike in parts or possibly tracking it. If all goes well, it will get raped in the straights (tops out at 100 mph) and it would have drum brakes in the front and rear. With the lack of power compared to modern bikes and the super crappy drum brakes it almost seems like the bike would be more dangerous (at least SUPER annoying) to other riders since it would have to go slower and brake a lot earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Go for it!!!
AHRMA will let you race in any class as long as you have taken and passed an approved racing school. They have a perfect class for you called "Novice Historic Production". It's an entry level class that allows limited modification and is perfect for what you describe you want to do. In addition, WERA has a vintage series AND the AMA has vintage road racing at Mid Ohio in July. There is also a group that does a track day or two every year strictly for vintage bikes This year they only have one scheduled and it's full...but there's always next year...They've done it at Black hawk and Autobahn plus the early April Team Chicago school at Gratten has vintage friendly classes.

As far as AHRMA goes, they have 2 big events coming up in June on Back to back weekends with the Road America vintage festival and Gratten. Join AHRMA, get a rule book, put the bike together stock and set it up according to the guidelines in the rulebook, take the school at Blackhawk (is it still Learning curves?) and you'll be good to go...For this year you have to hurry, you only have about 6 weeks to accomplish all of this.
If anything, mark your calender and come up to Road America on June 11th through the 13th and check out the whole AHRMA scene...Come on the vintage MX day (Sat.) and check out the MX races and stop by the pits and say hello...My # is 218 and I'll be riding a BSA 500.

There's also AMA Vintage Days at Mid Ohio in July too!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Just ride in a slower paced group, and stick to the tighter tracks. SV's aren't top end monsters and there are plenty of them at the track.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
Go for it!!!
AHRMA will let you race in any class as long as you have taken and passed an approved racing school. They have a perfect class for you called "Novice Historic Production". It's an entry level class that allows limited modification and is perfect for what you describe you want to do. In addition, WERA has a vintage series AND the AMA has vintage road racing at Mid Ohio in July. There is also a group that does a track day or two every year strictly for vintage bikes This year they only have one scheduled and it's full...but there's always next year...They've done it at Black hawk and Autobahn plus the early April Team Chicago school at Gratten has vintage friendly classes.

As far as AHRMA goes, they have 2 big events coming up in June on Back to back weekends with the Road America vintage festival and Gratten. Join AHRMA, get a rule book, put the bike together stock and set it up according to the guidelines in the rulebook, take the school at Blackhawk (is it still Learning curves?) and you'll be good to go...For this year you have to hurry, you only have about 6 weeks to accomplish all of this.
If anything, mark your calender and come up to Road America on June 11th through the 13th and check out the whole AHRMA scene...Come on the vintage MX day (Sat.) and check out the MX races and stop by the pits and say hello...My # is 218 and I'll be riding a BSA 500.

There's also AMA Vintage Days at Mid Ohio in July too!
Thanks for the encouraging words. I just needed a reason to start the rebuild, I probably won't be done for at least 1 year
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

^^^ Understood that getting the bike ready will take time and shooting for next year is a more realistic goal, but come to RA and VMD (Vintage Motorcycle Days)...You will learn alot, get to talk to people that were where you are now not too long ago and have the opportunity to see bikes like yours in action AND check out the swap meets! The swap at VMD is one of the biggest and best around, especially if your vintage mount is Japanese.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Just frigg'n ride!

Sportbike: GSXR 1000 K7 (Street); GSXR 600 06 (Track)
Years Riding: 0.001yrs
How you found us: GooG

Just dooooeeet!!

I used to have an Yamaha RD 350 back home. Man those 2-strokes were a blast to ride. Parts were a bitch though but I think it is worth the trouble.

<-- Shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode