Post Crashtastic Weekend - BHF July 3-4 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
d0 work s0n!

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R
Years Riding: Moment I got off the street
How you found us: twinky in the donut?

Post Crashtastic Weekend - BHF July 3-4

Well needless to say either everyone thought they were faster then they were or the heat was getting to everyone. Seemed like we had a get off every session, including myself. Not sure if it was the older tires or if I took too much lean angle or a little of both including hitting the bumps into turn 1, but whatever the case the front end gave out and I slide then tumbled into the grass. The bike took next to no damage on the "crash" side as the frame sliders did their job. However, just like I've been warned the frame slider flipped the bike once it hit the rumble strips. The other side took most of the damage including a broke clip-on. It was a good thing I spent all day putting on the new plastics. Needless to say they don't really need to be painted anymore. Thanks Turn One for mounting the new clip on and changing out my tires.

I can still say it was a great day. It was long and exhausting due to the heat and working on the bike for 3 hours in order to get back out on the track but all in all I enjoyed myself. Plotts finally got his bump to "I" but that might have been overshadowed by what happened next. I'll let him response to that.

Thanks to Nolan and George for towing me around even after the get off and being patient as I slowed my pace and worked on my lines and body position. I think in the long run the heat, lack of sleep on friday and working on the bike through lunch did me in. I was still able to muster the last 3 sessions but I was exhausted.

Looks like today the riders have great weather as well. Hopefully the heat doesn't get to everyone like it did yesterday. Also hope someone posts up some pics.

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
when i start to come undone, stitch me together.
when you see me stretched remind me of what left this outlaw torn."

Last edited by paintedblue; 07-04-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

No comment.

OK, We'll just say I'm another statistic.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Glad you guys are ok and hope the others also. Bikes can be fixed

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Y'all need to discover dirt bikes.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:37 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Ah, the infamous post-bump crash.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

It sounds like your off was very similar to mine in about the same spot last year. I also broke a clip-on and broke the windscreen/rashed the plastics when the bike flipped after catching on the raised rumble strips on the outside of T1.

It seems like there were a lot of crashes in T1 yesterday, in all groups. Was the pavement there especially slippery or something?

Glad you are fine and were back out there in the afternoon. I'm uploading the pics I took yesterday, about 760 or so, so it will take a while. The link is in the BHF 7/3 Pics thread on NESBA forum. It's about 1/4 way loaded as I post this.

EDIT: Pics have been moved to mwnesba83.smugmug.com I ran out of space in the other place.

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 07-05-2010 at 07:53 PM.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
It was funny, I was talking to my girl friend in the morning and said "I bet if I keep riding like this I'll get the A bump by the end of the year". Later that day, I was feeling pretty good about my riding so I asked Nolan to follow me for a couple laps and let me know what I should work on next. I felt my body position was pretty good, my lines were OK for the most part, but I didn't know really what I should focus on next, corner entry/braking, drive out of the corner, passing, wasn't really sure where I needed to focus my attention.

We went out and rode around for a half session or so, felt like I was having a good session then got passed on the back straight by somebody, it was a bit of a buzz kill and I was pretty exhausted from a full day of riding in the heat so I decided to take it easy the last couple laps and cool down.

Pulled into the pits after the session to talk to Nolan about what he saw, After suggesting a different line through 3 I got the A bump, and it felt great :-) Turns out the guy that passed me was following for quite a while and he got his well deserved A bump as well. (Sorry I'm terrible with names and forgot already)

I got to go out for the last A session, after only 15minute or so to rest but I wasn't about to pass that opportunity up and I'm glad I didn't, it was a blast, until my gas light came on and I realized I forgot to fuel up in all the excitement, doh! I did manage to get 6 or so laps in though and was surprised to find myself making a few passes. I also got my first taste of real speed as somebody flew by me going into turn 2 like I wasn't even moving!

Thanks again to all the CR's that have worked with me over the last couple years, I couldn't have done it without all your great advice. I did everything you guys said and went from B -> A in 8 trackdays, below are pictures from my first trackday and this weekend, both turn 4 taken from about the same place. If that isn't a huge improvement I dont' know what is. Furthermore, it's not all about going fast, the skills I've learned on the track saved my ass last year on the street when a car decided to turn right in front of me and made me use some "interesting" evasive techniques. I owe much more than a thank you.

Shitty Pass Racing #513

Last edited by eE jeremy; 07-04-2010 at 01:51 PM.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
d0 work s0n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eE jeremy View Post
It was funny, I was talking to my girl friend in the morning and said "I bet if I keep riding like this I'll get the A bump by the end of the year". Later that day, I was feeling pretty good about my riding so I asked Nolan to follow me for a couple laps and let me know what I should work on next. I felt my body position was pretty good, my lines were OK for the most part, but I didn't know really what I should focus on next, corner entry/braking, drive out of the corner, passing, wasn't really sure where I needed to focus my attention.

We went out and rode around for a half session or so, felt like I was having a good session then got passed on the back straight by somebody, it was a bit of a buzz kill and I was pretty exhausted from a full day of riding in the heat so I decided to take it easy the last couple laps and cool down.

Pulled into the pits after the session to talk to Nolan about what he saw, After suggesting a different line through 3 I got the A bump, and it felt great :-) Turns out the guy that passed me was following for quite a while and he got his well deserved A bump as well. (Sorry I'm terrible with names and forgot already)

I got to go out for the last A session, after only 15minute or so to rest but I wasn't about to pass that opportunity up and I'm glad I didn't, it was a blast, until my gas light came on and I realized I forgot to fuel up in all the excitement, doh! I did manage to get 6 or so laps in though and was surprised to find myself making a few passes. I also got my first taste of real speed as somebody flew by me going into turn 2 like I wasn't even moving!

Thanks again to all the CR's that have worked with me over the last couple years, I couldn't have done it without all your great advice. I did everything you guys said and went from B -> A in 8 trackdays, below are pictures from my first trackday and this weekend, both turn 4 taken from about the same place. If that isn't a huge improvement I dont' know what is. Furthermore, it's not all about going fast, the skills I've learned on the track saved my ass last year on the street when a car decided to turn right in front of me and made me use some "interesting" evasive techniques. I owe much more than a thank you.
Congrats man! Looks like it's time to change your sig.

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

Nice job Jeremy!
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
d0 work s0n!

Rocky...found some pics of you on Beac's photobucket site.

post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Congrats Jeremy on the bump to A.

In scanning through the pics this morning, I was struck at how good your lines and body position were. Not surprised that you got the bump. I shot the 2:00 sessions from Turn 6, so there are probably some shots of you there once they all upload. Nothing wall-worthy, but good for checking form and lines.

Craig
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Congrats Jeremy

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Congrats Jeremy!

I also got my bump to "I" and finally I deserved it, I was riding well up until the incident.

Yes I crashed, but I wasn't taking turn 6 any differently than I always have, just F'd up somehow. Also it was my first crash on the track. Highsided big time, rear end just went, fast. I headed out thinking, no F'in way am I laying this thing down after my bump and I thought I was taking it easy. Shit happens I guess.

Foot is broken and the bike will need some work. I have to go to the DR on Monday or Tuesday to see if I need Surgery. I'd say I am lucky, it was a nasty get off. Crashing ........ don't do it!
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
Ah, the infamous post-bump crash.
I remember when I got my bump, I packed up and left immediately LMAO

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Thanks everyone!

Plotts, in the pictures you look great, a bump well deserved for sure!

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
I remember when I got my bump, I packed up and left immediately LMAO
I was there that day and thought, hmm, that's wierd.

Now I think you are the smartest man alive!
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Plotts, in the pictures you look great, a bump well deserved for sure!
Thanks man! In spite of everything I am still proud of the Bump!
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotts View Post
I was there that day and thought, hmm, that's wierd.

Now I think you are the smartest man alive!

- Ronald Reagan

post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Sportbike: '12 KTM 150XC
Years Riding: .
How you found us: google

Congrats Rocky and Jeremy!

-Chris
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Congrats Guys - Glad all are well after the get offs too

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedblue View Post
Well needless to say either everyone thought they were faster then they were or the heat was getting to everyone. Seemed like we had a get off every session, including myself. Not sure if it was the older tires or if I took too much lean angle or a little of both including hitting the bumps into turn 1, but whatever the case the front end gave out and I slide then tumbled into the grass. The bike took next to no damage on the "crash" side as the frame sliders did their job. However, just like I've been warned the frame slider flipped the bike once it hit the rumble strips. The other side took most of the damage including a broke clip-on. It was a good thing I spent all day putting on the new plastics. Needless to say they don't really need to be painted anymore. Thanks Turn One for mounting the new clip on and changing out my tires.

I can still say it was a great day. It was long and exhausting due to the heat and working on the bike for 3 hours in order to get back out on the track but all in all I enjoyed myself. Plotts finally got his bump to "I" but that might have been overshadowed by what happened next. I'll let him response to that.

Thanks to Nolan and George for towing me around even after the get off and being patient as I slowed my pace and worked on my lines and body position. I think in the long run the heat, lack of sleep on friday and working on the bike through lunch did me in. I was still able to muster the last 3 sessions but I was exhausted.

Looks like today the riders have great weather as well. Hopefully the heat doesn't get to everyone like it did yesterday. Also hope someone posts up some pics.

No problem. Props for getting back out there in the afternoon. Saturday night we reviewed video of a few of the T1 crashes and talked to the riders that went down. One was rider error but two were definitely due to the torn up patch from the cars. It was 2ft off the apex but if you were off line going in you were at risk of losing the front.

Quote:

That was KFD (Tom) that passed you on the back straight. You both were riding great and earned the bump to Advanced. I was happy to hear that you both enjoyed your first A session and look forward to seeing you at your next event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotts View Post
Congrats Jeremy!

I also got my bump to "I" and finally I deserved it, I was riding well up until the incident.

Yes I crashed, but I wasn't taking turn 6 any differently than I always have, just F'd up somehow. Also it was my first crash on the track. Highsided big time, rear end just went, fast. I headed out thinking, no F'in way am I laying this thing down after my bump and I thought I was taking it easy. Shit happens I guess.

Foot is broken and the bike will need some work. I have to go to the DR on Monday or Tuesday to see if I need Surgery. I'd say I am lucky, it was a nasty get off. Crashing ........ don't do it!
Congrats on your bump to Intermediate. Hopefully your injury heals up quick and you learn from what happened. Don't worry about the bump crash, it happens to the best of us.

Track Junkie #79
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Congrats to all the bumbs...

I had lot's of fun...
Thanks to ALL the CRs who worked with me this weekend, I apprechiate the help and the pointers.

Oh and my lawn bussiness is closed due to the amount of competition...

post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Good to hear Germany!

congrats to everyone that got a bump

post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Sportbike: GSXR, Duc, R6
Years Riding: like, 80 minutes so far
How you found us: Blacked out, woke up at CLSB bike night w/out pants

Send a message via AIM to Kordyte
I wrecked too... hopefully I can get back to being fast on Aug 1st!

2006 GSX-R1000 - Daily
1998 Ducati 916 - Weekend
2006 R6 #847 - Track
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Sounds like a great weekend. Congrats to everyone who got bumped up out of Beginner!
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 AM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

eE Jeremy...sweet reference pics. Looks like you definitely took to learning well.

Glad all you guys that crashed were ok.
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Congrats on the bumps! I had a good day, picked up the pace in the morning. Thanks to Jordan and Chad (not sure if he's on here) for towing me around. Both of you gave me great tips. I know what I'll be working on next time

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Congrats everyone and hope all heal / mend well.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Congrats on the BUMPS!!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough

Thanks to everyone who safely passed me

This was my first event with NESBA, and my first time at BHF. I am usually mid-pack in "I" with STT, so I assumed "I" would be a good spot for me, but apparently the skill level at NESBA is a bit higher. By the end of Saturday I was passing people and I think I got someone almost every session on Sunday (I think my record was two passes in one session). The CRs seemed to be comfortable with me in "I," so maybe it was the right choice. I was more than a little self-conscious on Saturday, though. On the downside, my SV ate through a set of Power Ones in three days - not exactly the life I had expected.

I had a GSXR go down right in front of me in T1 after a pass (they passed me at the start of the straight, so I wasn't a factor in the crash, BTW), and got it on video. It looked more like too much lean angle; I saw sparks at the apex from the footpeg, and then they straighted up and then re-initiated an even sharper turn to stay on the track which caused them to drag their peg again and I think caused the back tire to lift off the ground. I'll try to post up the vid once I get it edited down to a manageable size and time.

A special thanks to Stas for letting me sit under his tent and eat his bananas on Saturday, and Dave and Jeff for doing the same on Sunday.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode