POST: Putnam NESBA SED weekend 7/31 - 8/1 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

OK, I'm starting the post weekend thread although I was only there for Sunday's Intermediate day.

Weather: GORGEOUS!! Started out cloudy, but the clouds burned off and the track surface was fantastic.

Track time: Abundant. I had a lot of fun working with the Intermediate group - this year I've been mostly CRing in the Beginner group so it was an adjustment for me to carry Intermediate pace while coaching. It was a nice change of pace and a learning experience for me as well. Got to work with Jeremy, Juan, Miguel, and lots of others (sorry, it's late and I'm having a hard time remembering my own name right now...)

Red flags/Incidents: Limited. Nice job "I" group .

Company: Excellent, as always. Thanks to everyone who spent time with me, Nolan, and the doggies - they always love the attention!!

Looking forward to going back to Putnam the weekend of the 14th/15th. Putnam twice in a month is a treat!!

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

<------------------- JEALOUS.

and I won't be there the 14-15 weekend either, that is the move-in weekend for both KU and Purdue...

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:07 PM
TERRAdactyl

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: on the street since 01
How you found us: accidentally stepped in it

Send a message via Yahoo to catwlights
I miss riding with you Kim. I gotta jump on a day with you here sometime. Never ridden Putnam. Heard nothing but good!

Terra
STT Staff
Midwest Instructor
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Pushing the Limits of Life's Opportunities
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwlights View Post
I miss riding with you Kim. I gotta jump on a day with you here sometime. Never ridden Putnam. Heard nothing but good!
Me too. I don't think that STT has a conflicting event the weekend of the 14th/15th. You should come to Putnam. Do it. Dooooo it!!

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Had a blast!

Track walk was awesome, Blume broke it down great, and having a different perspective definitely helps, for example I finally was able to see the camber in of turn 4 from the edge of the track crouched down, on the bike it's almost impossible to notice.

Kim, I had a lot of fun on our ride, we should do it again By the end of the day I was on your line through most the corners, just need to tighten up 4 and 9 and figure out 8 . Thanks for all the help!

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

WOW! I had fun. It was great working with so many of you and seeing you guys make big strides in your riding. I got some serious time on the Yamaha R6. What a great bike! The way my riding style has changed, I really feel more comfortable on the bike.

Doing some quick math (which is not my strong point) looks like I turned about 250 laps this weekend! Other than the rain we rode in during Saturday mornings demo's, it was a great weekend for weather.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 AM
El Speedy Gonzales

Sportbike: lets not talk about it :(
Years Riding: Yesterday
How you found us: member

Kim,

This is Juan, It was great meeting you and especially riding around with you, I was having a blast ! The last time I was at Putnam Park was 2003 and other than youtube vids I had limited track knowledge but definately picked up some good habits when you were working with me so Thanks for that and AWESOME job !

Special thanks to CLSB for hooking me up with the day !!!

Ride Fast, Ride Smart
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Sportbike: '06 vfr 800;'07 zx6r
Years Riding: 28 years street; 2 years track
How you found us: NESBA

Kim,
thanks so much for all the help. My first time riding in I group and my second time at Putnam, last time was 2 years ago. I felt really slow out there. But, with all the coaching you gave me in the morning I was feeling really comfortable by the afternoon.

thanks again

Miguel
NESBA I #232
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRC51 View Post
Kim,

This is Juan, It was great meeting you and especially riding around with you, I was having a blast ! The last time I was at Putnam Park was 2003 and other than youtube vids I had limited track knowledge but definately picked up some good habits when you were working with me so Thanks for that and AWESOME job !

Special thanks to CLSB for hooking me up with the day !!!
You're very welcome - glad you had fun and made progress in your riding!

Incidentally, I was approached by CR Tony (Italian guy on the red gixxer) in the afternoon after the session I spent working with you. He wanted to know how you were doing because he had worked with you earlier in the day. It sounds like you were able to put into practice some of the feedback he gave you earlier in the day because I didn't see the same issues he had talked over with you. Nice work listening and implementing the feedback points. Watching members improve is one of the best parts about being a CR.

So glad you had fun and hope to see you out with NESBA again!!!

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilio64 View Post
Kim,
thanks so much for all the help. My first time riding in I group and my second time at Putnam, last time was 2 years ago. I felt really slow out there. But, with all the coaching you gave me in the morning I was feeling really comfortable by the afternoon.

thanks again
Miguel, I saw definite improvement from morning to afternoon. First event out after the bump can be an eye opening experience. You did a great job working on your own skills and not worrying about being the fastest guy out there.

Remember, smooth inputs, single turn-in without corrections, and keep working on getting that shoulder and head down.

I think this is your last event before moving to Spain (or maybe it's Blackhawk - I can't remember). If it is, it was great working with you and maybe someday we'll be coming to a trackday run by you and Sonia in Europe . If not, I'll see you at Blackhawk!!

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Mooooooove!!

Sportbike: 09 zx6r (the spotted Kaw)
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: a member at a track day

Class act is all i can say, the track walk was KILLER good info, wish i could do it on every track i ride, and a HUGE round of applause to us all for keep the green flag out the majority of the day, minus the deer warning just after lunch. Everyone kept their head on pretty good & didn't make to many bonehead mistakes, although the youngen on the 250 was making some against the rule passes he still stayed out of ppls way (not to mention putting down some good times). Weather was great & HOT but the best we've had at putnam this year. I'm possibly gonna see ya guys on the sunday of putnam weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
<------------------- JEALOUS.

and I won't be there the 14-15 weekend either, that is the move-in weekend for both KU and Purdue...
hope to get on the track with ya at some point this year bud, maybe labor day??

Team Mooo-ve over #219
Red Headed Step Child Nesba CR #21
STT A #21
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM
El Speedy Gonzales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
You're very welcome - glad you had fun and made progress in your riding!

Incidentally, I was approached by CR Tony (Italian guy on the red gixxer) in the afternoon after the session I spent working with you. He wanted to know how you were doing because he had worked with you earlier in the day. It sounds like you were able to put into practice some of the feedback he gave you earlier in the day because I didn't see the same issues he had talked over with you. Nice work listening and implementing the feedback points. Watching members improve is one of the best parts about being a CR.

So glad you had fun and hope to see you out with NESBA again!!!
How cool is that, actually Tony, Steve K ( the other CR who goes to the track with Tony on the yellow gixxer) and I know eachother from a previous job. Both Tony and Steve K. (CR too) introduced me to the world of twisties and eventually the track.. They are a great group of guys and I have them to thank for this addiction ! Unfortunately time doesn't always permit me to attend as many TD's as I would like (I took a 4 yr break from 04-08) I've done 3 TD's in 08, 1 TD in 09 and so far 3 this year !

I was very comfortable out there and really focused on being smooth, consistent, body position and planning my passes well ahead of time.. It all worked out and I was able to really pick up the pace !

Ride Fast, Ride Smart

Last edited by JTRC51; 08-02-2010 at 10:32 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
El Speedy Gonzales

Kim,
Funny thing is that the session you and I were working together, I had been working with tony just a few laps before.. but I decided to take a tour through the field in turn 7 while Tony was following me.lol.. I came back on track and a couple of laps later I was hooked up with you ! Good times, good times !

Ride Fast, Ride Smart
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
MajorLeagueRider

Sportbike: Buell
Years Riding: 06/30/2007
How you found us: Visionsports

Whoa!!!

1st of all I want to thank God for bringing me home in 1 piece and the bike too..

Now HUGH thanks to Craig, Greg, CLSB, and NESBA for the SED day and all the help....

Now for the day,

The weather was funky looking @ 1st but it shaped up well....
I came to the day not knowing what was going to happen, wondering how my skills would be seeing that this was my 5th trackday and to say the least, I have a long long ways to go...... but Im still interested in getting better

Starting with the trackwalk...30 people are not really alot but when we were on the trackwalk i feel that Brian had to deal with people walking slow, talking, kids, peoples grandmas, the whole nine....to say the least he had his hands full...and he did well in my eyes...i really didnt want to make more problems so i just took my trackmap and took as many notes as possible...

Lord behold, a CR....asked me what i was thinking...damn i forget his name. (older guy, nicely mannered, about 5'9", he was pitted across from Chad...sorry for not remembering your name....russian/polish/german last name....large hands like george [sry george]) He walked & talked the whole track with me and helped with my understanding and lines

Putnam is truly a fast and FLOWING track....I was not even close to getting all the turns down but I was making progress throughout the day...

The CR's
Greg
Steve
Chad
Grouch
George.....and all those that i cant remember names

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The feedback was about the same overall...
Missing apexes, Not using all the track in T1, Body Position (not much though), Fudge'n up T7, not setting up passes well, not staying in the powerband of the bike, scrubbing off to much speed.......and i know i probally was told much more than that, but all and all it was good and i did make improvements

personally im not happy with myself and i think i should be further along then what i am now. but either way im still looking forward to goin smoother. some say i pretty well off for a 5 time'r

i need more comfortable leathers for sure.....i really think mine are still restrictive, but then again ive only worn them 5 or 6 times....

But i would really suggest that anyone looking to fix some bad habits that they have on the track or in their riding go to a Nesba SED, IMHO

Thanks again & Until my next trackday,

-King

p.s. sorry i missed kim

and Greg and Blume are funny at the dinner table

you cant ride it like a 1000
you cant ride it like a 600
you just gotta ride it like a BUELL

-Taylor Knapp

Last edited by King; 08-03-2010 at 10:41 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
King, If your leathers are restrictive after 5 trackday's chances are they are just the wrong size or cut, a properly fitting suit shouldn't restrict you even brand new. Definitely see if you can swap them out for some different ones.

Also don't try and rush it thinking you should be further along than you are, trying to force it will just make things more difficult. Listen to the CR's and focus on fixing something each session out, start with your biggest problems first and work your way down to the finer details. Trying to remember to do everything at once will be tough when you have 10 different things to work on, it's better to practice something until it's second nature then focus on something else once your muscle memory takes over IMO. Over thinking is a problem when you're already demanding so many of your brains resources .

See you out there next time, and remember, the number one goal is to have a good time

Shitty Pass Racing #513

Last edited by eE jeremy; 08-03-2010 at 11:01 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 PM
MajorLeagueRider

Sportbike: Buell
Years Riding: 06/30/2007
How you found us: Visionsports

Thanks for the advice....you are truly correct, but I am usually hard on myself when it comes to stuff like that, but I'm gonna get better

you cant ride it like a 1000
you cant ride it like a 600
you just gotta ride it like a BUELL

-Taylor Knapp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode