Post Putnam august 14. and 15. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Post Putnam august 14. and 15.

sooo nobody wrote anything yet... ok here we go.
It was hot, it was a lot of fun and I had the track all by my self in the end ...

I got plenty of seat time and I'm happy... thats it!

Forgot to add, I had some nice pit buddies, left and right.

Last edited by Germany; 08-15-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Is KOT ok?

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

uhm... don't know...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Is KOT ok?
What happened to him?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 PM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

Sort of a off weekend for big meanie. I had some issues with the 250 and I just started getting myself up to semi slow speed saturday afternoon.
Sunday Am.
it acts up again, but I notice my EGT gages go blank and quickshifter not working right. Later I checked voltage and only had 9.2
Then I realized that it is still the same battery that was in the bike when I bought it. I suppose 6 year battery life is not too bad.
Mike's SV started making a rattle from deep in the cases so that motor is coming out for repair.

It was still a great time seeing everybody and rolling out for a a few laps is allways fun.

We packed out and left during lunch break for a easy ride home.

And thats all until Barber in a few weeks.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 AM
d0 work s0n!

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R
Years Riding: Moment I got off the street
How you found us: twinky in the donut?

Germany thanks for starting the thread. I was too lazy to. This weekend was a blast. Hot as hell but that made for some sticky tires. At the same time i have to say it was the most relaxing track weekend ive ever had. Didn't have to mess with the bike just got there early, pulled out the bikes and sat into AC. Rode and more AC. I think made a bog difference. There were a few crashes and it seemed mainly in 7. Hope everyone came out ok.

Huge goes out to Steve P and Nolan for towing me around this weekend. Holy crap was that a blast. By the end of day one I had moved my pace to the low 20's and was feeling good. Got a nice taste of turn one when Steve pulled me through there on the last session Saturday. Ha. Freaked me out slightly but made me realize the corner speed you can take into that turn.

By Sunday the pace ha picked up and we were running as low as 1.21. Nolan towed me around the last two sessions and that was the perfect way to end the day. Exhausted but elated at the pace and the fun even making some fun passes. I was very pleased with this weekend and Putnam is quickly becoming one of my favs. Another thanks to the Lockhart bros for dinner and some entertaining track bs. Mike makes a mean chicken fajitas. Thanks to Morrand for the morning coffee too. Can't wait till BHF next month.

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
when i start to come undone, stitch me together.
when you see me stretched remind me of what left this outlaw torn."
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

My first time at Putnam, and I had a blast! Aside from Kim and Nolan, I didn't see anyone from CLSB that I knew though :/ I only rode Saturday, and while it was hot, it only got really steamy after lunch when the sun came out. I'll definitely be coming back, I think this might be my new favorite track.

I also wasn't traking turn one anywhere near where I could. The first session or two I was grabbing the brakes and dropping two gears. After Kim informed me that I can be on the gas down the straight and into turn 1, I think I dropped 4 seconds right there By the afternoon I was getting into the swing of things and linking turns a bit better. This track is HARD on the legs! Hanging off for 2-3 turns at once was fun, but I can barely walk today. I never really got a good line in turn 7. The really sharp slow turns always give me trouble. Super fun track, having some elevation changes kept it interesting.

Anyone know if there were trackside photographers? I didn't see anyone.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Mooooooove!!

Sportbike: 09 zx6r (the spotted Kaw)
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: a member at a track day

had a good day on sunday, it was REALLY FUGGIN HOT!!! didn't settle in till the last session after lap 6 (which all of them were 22's ) when the fan is blowing nothing but hot air thats bad LOL. I would pay extra for a 70 degree day & no humidity, can nesba work that out???

Team Mooo-ve over #219
Red Headed Step Child Nesba CR #21
STT A #21
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fuggin_t View Post
had a good day on sunday, it was REALLY FUGGIN HOT!!! didn't settle in till the last session after lap 6 (which all of them were 22's ) when the fan is blowing nothing but hot air thats bad LOL. I would pay extra for a 70 degree day & no humidity, can nesba work that out???
Come back in October. It's usually cooler then.

Craig
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

It was an interesting weekend for me and Nolan...

We left on Friday night around 7:30, planning on getting to our hotel by 11:30ish (Indiana time) so we could catch a few hours of shuteye before heading to the track on Saturday morning. As I'm snoozing away in the passenger seat waiting for my driving shift Nolan makes an "Oh SH!#" noise and says "I have a flat tire!" Blowout on the trailer. Not cool. I then sat in the truck watching him change the left trailer tire, in the dark, in the rain, on the right shoulder. I prayed A LOT since there wasn't anything else I could do.

I drove the rest of the way to Greencastle and we got to our hotel about 2:45am. After taking care of the dogs I crawled into bed about 3:30. The alarm went off at 5:30. Ugh. But we had a day of fun ahead of us so up and at 'em!!

Showered, fed the dogs, loaded up, and we were off.

Track conditions were good on Saturday morning - overcast at first with a couple of random rain sprinkles but nothing that stuck. I headed out for the first "A" session of the day for a warm up. I felt surprisingly good given my lack of sleep. By the 3rd session of the morning I noticed the bike start to overheat on the grid. I assumed it was because the ambient temperature was over 100 degrees and that it would cool down once I got moving. Then one of the members informed me that after passing him into Dead Bear I gave him a face full of coolant-scented water. Oops. Took the plastics off the bike at lunch and found a hole in the radiator.

So I thought my day was done. Then Stefan (Germany) pointed to his pit (right next to us) and mentioned that he had a spare bike. Which one did I want to ride? My choices? Race prepped Gixxer 6 or 1098. Mmmmmmmm...

I figured I had spares for his Gixxer in case something happened so I took him up on his offer. I rode his Gixxer for the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday. It was AWESOME!! Now I want a quick shifter, Brembo master, loud-ass exhaust, and new suspension components for my bike. Huge props to Stefan who made it possible for me to ride (and CR) for the whole weekend.

There's a bunch more to tell but I'm out of time and most of you probably stopped reading at the 3rd sentence anyways. Off to work, maybe post some more stories later...

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
What is typical weather down there in October? I'm thinking of switching my labor day blackhawk days and doing Putnam.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

October in central IL/IN varies. It can be in the 70's, or in the 40's. the last two years we had:
1 beautiful day ('70's)
1 day that started with frost on the grass and ended beautiful
1 rainy day
1 day in the mid-high 60's and sunny (perfect)

Overall, the chances are for a good weekend.

Craig
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Nolan makes an "Oh SH!#" noise and says "I have a flat tire!" Blowout on the trailer. Not cool. I then sat in the truck watching him change the left trailer tire, in the dark, in the rain, on the right shoulder. I prayed A LOT since there wasn't anything else I could do.
U get out there and stand with him and keep asking questions and making suggestions to annoy him

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

great weekend! i had a bit of a rough start after a crazy day on friday... unexpectedly working late and THEN finally putting a "new" engine in the bike. after pulling an all nighter, i left for the track around 4am chicago time and rolled into putnam around 10am after making a few stops on the way to pick up some tires and one of my wheels. the ridiculous things we do to make ends meet for this damn sport is incredible... anyway, i basically CRed and rode some A sessions at a modest pace on scrappy tires for the day. i didn't wanna do too much without any sleep. i ended up passing out in the RV after dinner with all my clothes on - including my hat and shoes haha. at least i woke up on sunday ready to roll!

i came out sunday with a fresh new attitude and knee that finally felt good enough to ignore once i was out on the track. it was the first time since the injury that i've been able to put my head down and really start to push again. i put on a pretty good set of tires during lunch and really started to feel good out there. i set the bar really high for myself, in terms of a laptime goal for sunday, and although i missed it by a couple of tenths, i'm still really happy that i've found my "edge" again. after a few tough breaks throughout the season (physically and mechanically - both related to biking and not), i was beginning to lose the excitement i had at the start of the year, and i feel like the 2 or 3 quality A sessions that i was able to put in on sunday with the good tires helped to refuel the fire.

and thanks to lars for coming over to chat and me putting him to work instead lol. i was rushing to catch the tail end of an A session and his timing was impeccable. admit it, you liked it. pit bitch. haha

good to see everyone else as well. glad you got the bike situation worked out, kim. i felt like i didn't get the normal prescribed dosage of kim and nolan i usually require this time around. i know most of the CLSBers were in I, and i was in B, but we'll be able to work together at Blackhawk in a few weeks. i would have come out with you guys and played for a few extra I sessions as well, but i was dog tired after the shaky start to my weekend.

see everyone else at the cookoff!

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:
So I thought my day was done. Then Stefan (Germany) pointed to his pit (right next to us) and mentioned that he had a spare bike. Which one did I want to ride? My choices? Race prepped Gixxer 6 or 1098. Mmmmmmmm...

You pooosie. I would have taken the 1098!!!!
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
U get out there and stand with him and keep asking questions and making suggestions to annoy him
It is best not to poke at the angry bear. Especially when he's taking a huge one for the team in terms of personal safety and comfort. I know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbizx View Post
glad you got the bike situation worked out, kim. i felt like i didn't get the normal prescribed dosage of kim and nolan i usually require this time around. i know most of the CLSBers were in I, and i was in B, but we'll be able to work together at Blackhawk in a few weeks. i would have come out with you guys and played for a few extra I sessions as well, but i was dog tired after the shaky start to my weekend.
Missed u too . Looking forward to a tow at Blackhawk if you're feeling up to it!

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Sorry I missed it. Work and then other work did not allow me to get out for Sunday like I had expected. BHF for sure!

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Kot
I suffer from N4S

Sportbike: 05 R6 track, 07 R6 street
Years Riding: ... weeks :)
How you found us: google

Send a message via Skype™ to Kot
Quote:
Is KOT ok?
I'm fine. It hurts but I'm fine
It was hot as hell. First day, last session I was so tired and overheated I started to do a lot of mistakes. Most of them on turn 8. But I did learn a lot thanks to Jeff. Next day I felt quite comfortable on the track and started to have fun. Then on the last session before brake I had a dejavu of crashing. I don't believe in stuff like that so I ignored it but I did slow down for that session
Im not sure was it the first session after brake or the second, I came out of turn 6 pretty fast, and prepared to brake into turn 7. The bike was up right and I applied brakes. The front tire started to wobble aggressively. So I let go the brakes and applied them again. The same thing happened. At that point I knew I was going way to fast to make the turn and it was to late to do anything else so I had no other choice as to try my luck on the grass. Once I touched the grass I don't remember anything. When I opened my eyes I was on the ground and in pain. The ambulance guys showed up soon and they didn't let me get up. They said it was a violent crash and they have to take me to the hospital. So I ended up with broken collar bone and a rib. Not to bad. Unfortunately the bike took some heavy beating
I really wish I can find out what really went wrong. The bike was fine all the time and I don't think I did something wrong myself. I hope I will find out.
But it was my first 2 track days and I had a blast. It was an awesome experience. I learned in few session how to drag knee and I love it. It's definitely not my last track day. But I'm afraid it is the last this year. I'm scared to see the bill from the hospital ... and I have to fix the bike.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Mooooooove!!

Quote:
It was an interesting weekend for me and Nolan...

We left on Friday night around 7:30, planning on getting to our hotel by 11:30ish (Indiana time) so we could catch a few hours of shuteye before heading to the track on Saturday morning. As I'm snoozing away in the passenger seat waiting for my driving shift Nolan makes an "Oh SH!#" noise and says "I have a flat tire!" Blowout on the trailer. Not cool. I then sat in the truck watching him change the left trailer tire, in the dark, in the rain, on the right shoulder. I prayed A LOT since there wasn't anything else I could do.
i'm glad that nothing happened, the emergency lanes in indiana are HORRIBLE, i've lost 2 friends that were helping with a flat tire change & were hit & killed, this is a big reason why i take 65 because they have fixed alot of that since then.
Quote:

I figured I had spares for his Gixxer in case something happened so I took him up on his offer. I rode his Gixxer for the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday. It was AWESOME!! Now I want a quick shifter, Brembo master, loud-ass exhaust, and new suspension components for my bike. Huge props to Stefan who made it possible for me to ride (and CR) for the whole weekend.
)
loud doesn't explain his gixxer, i can't event think straight when i hear it lol, its fast though, in fact much faster than my 600rr because he pulls me on the straight and well... i'm a smaller guy than him LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
i may be doing just that, then i earn my 15 track day sponsored tires

Team Mooo-ve over #219
STT A #21
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sorry to hear about your off KOT. If you are carrying wide open throttle through 6, then T7 becomes a HARD braking corner, and tends to off quite a few folks in general.

Glad to hear that you are relatively ok, and more importantly, that you had a good time in spite of the off.

Heal up, I'll buy ya some drinks next Tuesday and you can tell us all about it.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

So yeah the weekend started pretty bad for me. Trailer tire blowout in the dark in the middle of a storm. I've never had to change the tires on this trailer nor have i ever pulled the jack out of my truck. It wasn't bad except for mosquitoes dive bombing me and semis rushing by just a few feet away. The worst part was the spare only had 25psi and it needed to be 50psi. I have a pretty good bike pump that can adjust sportbike tire pressures very easily. Unfortunately it took 10 rounds of 50 pumps to get that spare up to 50psi. So I will be purchasing an air tank soon.

Saturday was rough. It was hot and I only had 1.5 hours of sleep. I didn't eat dinner or breakfast because i was so tired. I was done by the second session after lunch due to muscle cramps and blurred vision. Unfortunately I still had to change tires on both bikes in the heat and humidity afterward.

Sunday was awesome on new tires. I ate a lot for dinner on Saturday and slept like a rock with the a/c in our room set like an ice box. I had tons of energy and CR'd all day and rode all but the last two Advanced sessions. I started in the B group but switched to I group when Nichole showed up. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed working with everybody.

Good times in our pit area with Palella and Germany. It was odd not to hang with Jordan this time around. See ya at BHF buddy

Track Junkie #79
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
I don't know...

Quote:

Hey that was the only thing there was to do... I bet you guys would have helped me out if I would have been in a bind and you have the stuff to get me out of it.... at least I hole...

And it was the best thing for me, I needed seat time on the duc, and I would have kept pouching the 600 all weekend...

Hey Nolan, get ready for buying KIM lot's of christmas presents this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
You pooosie. I would have taken the 1098!!!!
The offer to you would only be the 600... I know you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fuggin_t View Post
loud doesn't explain his gixxer, i can't event think straight when i hear it lol, its fast though, in fact much faster than my 600rr because he pulls me on the straight and well... i'm a smaller guy than him LOL
The bike is fast, loud and lot's of fun and what you say I'm fat?

KOT, I didn't recognize you, you and Jeff filled up gas at the same gasstation with me both mornings, sorry... the less I knew you went down... Glad to hear your ok, besides the broken stuff... crashing sucks...

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:35 PM
d0 work s0n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbizx View Post
and thanks to lars for coming over to chat and me putting him to work instead lol. i was rushing to catch the tail end of an A session and his timing was impeccable. admit it, you liked it. pit bitch. haha
Looks like I'll have to remember some sugar for my "coffee" at BHF next month.

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Sportbike: '04 GSXR 750
Years Riding: 14 yrs.
How you found us: nesba forum

Hot isn't the word to describe it. More like scorching or sultry. If we didn't have that blower and huge fan I don't know how we would have made it. From the get go on Saturday it was hard for me to stay out for more than 5 laps at a time. I was concentrating on body position all weekend and I gotta say, it hurts to ride these things the "right" way. It's a lot more work. But It felt like I made pretty big improvements. I was able to get into the 24's and toward the end of Sunday the 23's and best being 22.8 so I was pretty proud of that....until I low-sided in 7. I guess that's what happens when you go FLAT OUT. You crash or burst into flames!

But, I'm actually glad I got my first crash out of the way. I know it's inevitable with this hobby. Wasn't as bad as I thought until I got home and noticed the subframe cracked in 2 spots. So, I'm going to try and weld it this weekend and hopefully that will shorten the parts list. If not, does anyone have a subframe for an 04 gixxer 750? Thanks to Stefan for giving me the handle bar to scratch off my list. Hope to have it all done by Labor Day weekend.

Mike Jozwiak
STT A #27
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Subframe cracks are no big deal. Just get it welded and put it right back on. Heck, one of my only complaints on Suzuki's is that the subframes crack from track vibration, you don't even have to crash to crack them.

Glad you had fun, sorry to hear about T7, that one can bite back.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Subframe cracks are no big deal. Just get it welded and put it right back on. Heck, one of my only complaints on Suzuki's is that the subframes crack from track vibration, you don't even have to crash to crack them.

Actually, I am going to try and weld it on Saturday. Got some feelers out for some parts and the rest will be ordering from Joe at Turn One. Should be ready for Blackhawk.

Mike Jozwiak
STT A #27
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:09 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Hey Mike I see you lit up the WERA board looking for parts. LOL Every GSXR thread is bumped cuz of you.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Mooooooove!!

Quote:

its really not bad at all, its cracked in a decent spot that you could leave it and be fine, i'll help him out on that one, as the years go by the aluminum gets thinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike27 View Post
Actually, I am going to try and weld it on Saturday. Got some feelers out for some parts and the rest will be ordering from Joe at Turn One. Should be ready for Blackhawk.
it will be pretty easy bro, took a look at it out in the garage, the core part is still there, doesn't matter if the back is bent at all, just as long as the seated portion for you is solid will be good, after all if all else fails DUCT TAPE

Team Mooo-ve over #219
STT A #21
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Hey Mike I see you lit up the WERA board looking for parts. LOL Every GSXR thread is bumped cuz of you.
Yeah, I seen you were looking for a fairing stay too. Found a master cylinder and some other stuff. Funny how I'm more worried about fixing my bike than me.

Mike Jozwiak
STT A #27
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 PM
d0 work s0n!

There seemed to be a few people taking pictures. Mainly in turn 4. Anyone know who?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode