Newbie on Track - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Ducati 848
Years Riding: 16 years
How you found us: Meetup.com

Newbie on Track

I did my 1st track day back in July at RA. Of course I was a bit nervous my first time. Not trying to cause any waves but I felt the instructors sort of pressured me into going much faster than I was comfortable. We weren't given much training on the ins and outs of the track. A few guys dropped their bikes. I rode much better whenever I got behind one of the Control Riders as I could follow their line and really get confident in certain turns. Would like to go out for another track day but could use a little bit of hand holding if that's even possible. Right now I'm trying to pick up a cheaper bike just for track use. Not criticizing the organization...just trying to find a good fit and gain more confidence without feeling intimidating. Again...no disrespect whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

is this a joke?
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Sportbike: '10 CBR600RRA Leyla, '09 Kawa Ninja 250
Years Riding: 2 years
How you found us: Internet

Send a message via Yahoo to Camo_Hunny
Did you pick up chicks at the track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

If you're looking for a more structured/controlled beginner/novice group, then you may want to try Sportbike Track Time (STT). NESBA is structured more for those that are very comfortable at/above freeway speeds, and with passing/being passed. This is openly covered on NESBA's web site.

That being said, NESBA's has some excellent Control Riders that will take the time to show you the ropes, and help you build your skills progressively. It is your responsibility to ask for help with specifics on what you're needs are. They are not mind readers, and can only help those that are willing to make an effort to help themselves.

On the day of your track day at Road America way back in July, did you approach any of the NESBA staff, or Control Riders, about your concerns? If you had, then I would bet that you would have gotten the help you needed.

Either come back and give NESBA another try while expressing your concerns to the staff, or try out STT and see which one fits your learning style better. No matter what you choose, just make sure to be open to learning, and honest with the staff and yourself about what your needs are.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

WOW you just opened a rant and complained about the CR'S and now your asking them to hold your fucking hand. grow some balls and man up. They are there to guide you and give feed back and handle your concerns if you voice them not hold your hand the whole day.

Maybe they knew you could be faster you just lack to ability to kick your self and do it so they were trying to do it for you

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkr View Post
If you're looking for a more structured/controlled beginner/novice group, then you may want to try Sportbike Track Time (STT). NESBA is structured more for those that are very comfortable at/above freeway speeds, and with passing/being passed. This is openly covered on NESBA's web site.

That being said, NESBA's has some excellent Control Riders that will take the time to show you the ropes, and help you build your skills progressively. It is your responsibility to ask for help with specifics on what you're needs are. They are not mind readers, and can only help those that are willing to make an effort to help themselves.

On the day of your track day at Road America way back in July, did you approach any of the NESBA staff, or Control Riders, about your concerns? If you had, then I would bet that you would have gotten the help you needed.

Either come back and give NESBA another try while expressing your concerns to the staff, or try out STT and see which one fits your learning style better. No matter what you choose, just make sure to be open to learning, and honest with the staff and yourself about what your needs are.
Thanks for the advice. Very well received. 1st track day. Didn't really know what to expect and didn't have any pre-coaching. So this is useful.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
WOW you just opened a rant and complained about the CR'S and now your asking them to hold your fucking hand. grow some balls and man up. They are there to guide you and give feed back and handle your concerns if you voice them not hold your hand the whole day.

Maybe they knew you could be faster you just lack to ability to kick your self and do it so they were trying to do it for you
C'mon man. Must you reply with some dickish shit every time I post something? Made it really clear that it was my 1st time at the track. Obviously, I didn't know what to expect and now I know. No one is opening a rant or complaining about the organization or the CR's. I believe I took the time to make that clear. And it was only one CR that I thought pushed harder than I was comfortable going. Seriously dude...layoff. I had a genuine concern and needed some direction and I got. Don't try to make it seem as though I'm complaining about the organization as I'm clearly not.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

What STKR said is spot on
That said I figured you were there to pickup those hot girls with umbrellas (shit ain't we all?)
In which case you really really really need to up your game.
Only one or two of the orange t-shirt wearers have ever gotten to that level of the game.

Generally I just bring my own but that's how I roll
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post
That said I figured you were there to pickup those hot girls with umbrellas (shit ain't we all?)
Only one or two of the orange t-shirt wearers have ever gotten to that level of the game.

What, you bring your own orange shirt? I knew I was forgetting something

Thanks for the props Greg

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati848 View Post
C'mon man. Must you reply with some dickish shit every time I post something? Made it really clear that it was my 1st time at the track. Obviously, I didn't know what to expect and now I know. No one is opening a rant or complaining about the organization or the CR's. I believe I took the time to make that clear. And it was only one CR that I thought pushed harder than I was comfortable going. Seriously dude...layoff. I had a genuine concern and needed some direction and I got. Don't try to make it seem as though I'm complaining about the organization as I'm clearly not.
Dickish shit dude its called reality and a wake up call. Nothing negative there except your complaint. Its pretty simple if you have a concern or dont know ask say something. its like with life in general. u stated they were pushing you faster think about why maybe cause they figured you could handle it. Read between the lines

And yes this is a complaint and i quote
Not trying to cause any waves but I felt the instructors sort of pressured me into going much faster than I was comfortable.

read outside your box you might see that im not attacking you based on your name calling in your other thread

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post

Agreed...on the STKR spot on. And you're never gonna let go of me picking up chicks everywhere I go...are ya? Damn...I brought this upon myself. I know I got more licks coming. I can handle it.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

You just need to go flat out!!

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
Dickish shit dude its called reality and a wake up call. Nothing negative there except your complaint. Its pretty simple if you have a concern or dont know ask say something. its like with life in general. u stated they were pushing you faster think about why maybe cause they figured you could handle it. Read between the lines

And yes this is a complaint and i quote
Not trying to cause any waves but I felt the instructors sort of pressured me into going much faster than I was comfortable.

read outside your box you might see that im not attacking you based on your name calling in your other thread
Cool. If ur not attacking then no harm done and you can ignore my last post. Deal? But honestly...enough with the life lessons. I get the point. We can move on now.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

[QUOTE=stkr;1807124]If you're looking for a more structured/controlled beginner/novice group, then you may want to try Sportbike Track Time (STT). [QUOTE]

this is all the advice you need, nothing more
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:41 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Dats why they call it a swift kick in the ass cause you never know when its coming.

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Do you think it had something to do with your bike? I know at my first track day, and now (I have done 3 days) I wouldn't want an 848 as a bike. Too much power and $$$. I loved doing those days on my SV650. Plenty of power for what I was doing, damn near indestructible, and if I crashed my bike I wouldn't cry about losing a bunch of money. Maybe keep the 848 for the street and pick up a low buck track only bike. Another member here has a 1098s for the street, and a SV650 for the track.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Do you think it had something to do with your bike? I know at my first track day, and now (I have done 3 days) I wouldn't want an 848 as a bike. Too much power and $$$. I loved doing those days on my SV650. Plenty of power for what I was doing, damn near indestructible, and if I crashed my bike I wouldn't cry about losing a bunch of money. Maybe keep the 848 for the street and pick up a low buck track only bike. Another member here has a 1098s for the street, and a SV650 for the track.
Without a doubt that definitely had something to do with it. Yeah I felt I could have gone faster but the idea of laying down an 848 really made me hold back a lot. And of course that is no fault of the CRs. I guess when you're out there for your first time it's hard to determine where exactly is the butterflies are stemming from. Hopefully I can grab a track bike next season. Thanks for the advice. Some folks seem to have forgotten what it was like their 1st time. Didn't help that the ambulance had to come out on the track on my very 1st run. Again thanks for the advice. It helps.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Both iamnotgreg and myself have perfect track day bikes for sale. Pick one up, neither will break the bank, and are prolly cheaper than repairing that 848 from even a simple tip over.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

Quote:
Both iamnotgreg and myself have perfect track day bikes for sale. Pick one up, neither will break the bank, and are prolly cheaper than repairing that 848 from even a simple tip over.
Dude give it up already, it's listed in the for sale section

I might have a 600rr for sale

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
haha hey dave that just made me think - my bike is PERFECT for him

but seriously - you couldn't go wrong either way - i want to pick up Daves bike just to have another spare SV (you can never have enough SV's)
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
Dude give it up already, it's listed in the for sale section

I might have a 600rr for sale

Hater.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Just sign up for races instead of trackdays. No pesky CRs to deal with.

Wanna buy a '99 YZ125?

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

You'll get more comfortable at the track if you get back out there...

RA is a tough track to do your first track day - it's a long, super high speed venue. It can actually be dangerous to go too slowly there, especially on the front straight. The closing speeds can be pretty extreme. That could be why the CR you worked with may have pushed you to increase your pace.

I would suggest that you hit one of the shorter midwest tracks for your next day - Blackhawk Farms, Putnam Park, and Autobahn North are all good options.

If you decide to come out with NESBA again we've got an event at Putnam Park in October. Check in with the CR's, let us know what you want to work on, and we'll help you out...

On, and in case you're wondering, this is NOT an attempt to get a ride on the back of your 848... (J/K, sorry couldn't resist )

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

Sounds about like my first track day, also at RA. Also sounds like a B NESBA day. I expected a more relaxed environment instead of sink or swim my first track day too.

STT has a better 1st day Novice program for sure, they take you up slowly as where NESBA throws you to the wolves (so to speak).

All that being said, I love my NESBA CR friends and fellow riders, most of them would agree that STT offers a way more structured Novice group. After you get a bit more comfortable on the track NESBA is an excellent place to be too. The CR's definitely are some of the best out there.

Screw the haters above, they muddy up all the threads, welcome to CLSB . Get back out there and enjoy. Ride your own ride and progress at a pace that fits your needs. There's usually someone slower and always someone faster and if you happen to be the slowest out there, good for you. I never mind overtaking a slower rider and am happy to see people using their heads instead of their egos. Good luck out there.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
So, you got balls enough to roll around downtown like you're the man picking up sluts, but you ain't got the balls to twist the throttle on a closed race track with ambulances standing by?

Can someone help me restore the compassion for douchebags?
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

congrats on getting out there!

listen to jim... stkr

next time wont be so unnerving cus u kno the drill...ull do fine

did nesba for my first trackday about a year ago and it was a blast

coaches do a great job and have advise for u when u pull off the track after a session whether u asked for it or not...not all orgs do that.....

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)

Last edited by nouseforaname; 09-10-2010 at 08:08 PM.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Shhhhhh.....

Sportbike: K6 GSXR600, 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
Years Riding: I'm old. It's been a long time.
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
So, you got balls enough to roll around downtown like you're the man picking up sluts, but you ain't got the balls to twist the throttle on a closed race track with ambulances standing by?

Can someone help me restore the compassion for douchebags?
Can I get an AMEN????

CCS Amateur #133
K6 GSXR600
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Shhhhhh.....

Sportbike: K6 GSXR600, 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
Years Riding: I'm old. It's been a long time.
How you found us: google

Just get on the track. It gets better every time.

CCS Amateur #133
K6 GSXR600
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati848 View Post
That is, you realize, the whole point: to go just a bit faster that you feel comfortable going (but not so fast that you fall apart). You do that, and then you succeed, and then it's not uncomfortable to go so fast. The pressure accomplishes that very well, if it's properly applied.

Naturally, all of this works best if you're not going so fast that you stand the bike up and go off. So if the pressure really gets too much, just drop back. One of two things will usually happen: either the instructor will drop back too and match your pace, or will take off and find someone else to work with. Either way you should talk it over with the instructor at the end of the session.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
I say if you got the deep pockets then rock the 848 on the track. That bike is badass.

You should try STT and sign up for Novice. There Novice program is very well run and they build up speed and skill sets throughout the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode