Post Putnam 10/16-17 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Post Putnam 10/16-17

What an awesome way to end the season! Great weather, good company and lots of track time.

Got to meet Germany as I pitted next to him, and saw Tia as well. Good to have Brian (Wink) back out as a CR, and others from CLSB out there as well.

I took some pics, and will post a link when I get them up, probably sometime tomorrow.

Craig

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Nice meeting you (I'm the Pat with the orange SV). I had a pretty good weekend. By the end of the Sunday I even found a few apexes!

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Mooooooove!!

Sportbike: 09 zx6r (the spotted Kaw)
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: a member at a track day

one of the best events for the year!!

Team Mooo-ve over #219
Red Headed Step Child Nesba CR #21
STT A #21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Couldn't have been a better weekend. Shreaded a set of tires. Chased down and passed a 1000 RR a few times. Rode with my friends. Had the Winkster back out. Best riding I've ever done at Putnam. 2010 was a crash free year! I guess I did a good enough job last year to skip a year. It's nice to end the season with the same helmet you started!

I don't think we could have asked for anything more. Well it would have been nice if Germany didn't beat my throttle arm like a high schooler. I got him back. Who thought you could actually throw a butterscotch candy at 55 mph and hit him.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fuggin_t View Post
one of the best events for the year!!
Jeff,
congrats on your A- Bump! It was good seeing you and the crew!

And yes it was a great weekend, I had lots of fun, ended up running the slicks on the 600 all the way to the cords, I just had a blast and fun with lot's of friends I gained this year.
When ever you hear the saying you can't win a trackday.. actually you can, you can find new friends and become a part of the family, that's what I felt like this year!
Brian, it was fun finally riding with you!
Greg, law suite dropped...

Thanks everyone.
NESBA Rocks!

Last edited by Germany; 10-18-2010 at 09:16 PM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
When ever you hear the saying you can't win a trackday.. actually you can, you can find new friends and become a part of the family, that's what I felt like this year!

well said.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Mooooooove!!

Amen on the family portion of nesba, for instance I had a bent brake rotor that was gonna end my weekend and low and behold dean lent me one for the weekend, but that's how it always is. I've met some good ppl this year & please keep in touch & we can all meet up for dinner etc

Team Mooo-ve over #219
STT A #21
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM
The apex was where?

Sportbike: '07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: Always learning.
How you found us: A vision.

What a great weekend.

Saturday was really slow for me and I just was not getting the track, I was getting frustrated and by the end of the day I was getting lapped by everyone in B group because I decided to really slow everything down and bring it back to the basics the last 2 sessions of the day. I left Saturday a bit disappointed, but optimistic Sunday might be better. I had a lot of fun riding with Chris and Pat on Saturday as well as the rest of the B guys.

Congrats to Chris on your I bump Saturday.

Sunday again started slow, I decided to skip most of the first session because of cold track conditions and still being tired, so I got my 2 laps in to get my brain and body re acclimated to the track, good choice. After the first session things just started to feel better and by the last session before lunch things finally just clicked and I could hit the line and carry speed like I knew I could. After lunch and about an hour nap the afternoon was great. And good enough that I was allowed to move to I group. I ran the last 2 sessions of the day in I group and they were likely the most fun I have had on the track yet!

Thanks to all the CRs who helped me along the way, notably Greg, Brian, Kim, Nolan, Dean and Randy, Thanks guys!

Thanks the All the other folks around the paddock this weekend you guys are what makes events like these special.

And last but not least thanks to all the Crew I rode down with this weekend, Mike and Dave, thanks for making a worry free and fun weekend with all the food and travel arrangements and driving. Pat and Greg thanks for the laughs and and good times as always.

What a great weekend!

Corey aka: phkz24
NESBA "I" #24
MSF Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Ole Book of Truth
It is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission
Godspeed Ashwin.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

This past weekend was awesome. I had a blast especially during the Advanced sessions. The weather was perfect and it was fun to hang out and ride with so many familiar faces. Makes it all the more difficult to accept that the off-season is right around the corner but makes me look forward to next year even more.

Big congrats to Jeff for earning his bump to A! Nice work man! And Stefan I'm glad I got to ride with you during the last A session. It seemed fitting after the way we started the season together. You both have come a long way and Kim and I are happy to have been there to share some fun times along the way.

Big thanks to Jordan for hooking me up with a sweet front race take-off for Sunday afternoon. Always a pleasure pitting, CRing, and riding with you bro.

I could go on and on about all the great memories that Kim and I have shared with our NESBA family. It has been a great season.

Track Junkie #79
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Sportbike: '12 KTM 150XC
Years Riding: .
How you found us: google

This was my second event with NESBA and I can't begin to explain how much fun it was! It was also my second visit to Putnam and it was this time around that I really fell in love with this track. Putnam ROCKS!

I really enjoyed hanging out with everyone and it was nice meeting some new people. Can't wait for next season!

Congrats to J fuggin T and Corey on the bumps as well.

-Chris
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan1300 View Post
And Stefan I'm glad I got to ride with you during the last A session. It seemed fitting after the way we started the season together.
Nolan, it was ( an honer - sounds cheesy ) a great pleasure to learn from you at the beginning of the year and having your and Kim's pointers on things for the whole season. I remember you telling me: I will bump you if you show me some more passing skills... This actually got back in my mind last weekend when I followed you and we both made it past Kim within a turn, which was pretty much the same thing we did at Black hawk just a few weeks back.
I think I'm getting that a bit better than back than.
You guys Rock! and I'm happy to have been on the track with Kim and you.
The only thing missing is that we grid up together for a race, but I'm pretty sure we will do that next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman675 View Post
Congrats to J fuggin T and Corey on the bumps as well.
Congrats on your Bump!

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

It was a fantastic weekend all around.

Saturday started out pretty chilly (I had on like 6 layers plus a winter hat at check-in) and then Frick dragged a giant space heater over to the registration tent and life was GOOD. The weather warmed up and by lunchtime it was gorgeous out.

Sunday was even better - the morning was warmer and I think it got near 80 by lunch. The A group was rockin' and it was great to be able to get out for a bunch of my own sessions in addition to coaching the B group.

Great job to everyone (in all groups) on the bumps, traffic management, and safety overall.

Special thanks to everyone who took the time to come over and hang out with the "boys" (Shiro and Brutus). They love their NESBA family as much as Nolan and I do.

Thanks to the A guys and fellow CRs for the coaching tips and courteous passes (except Nolan who gives me the finger but I know it's because he loves me..). Also thanks to the unnamed 2 riders who had my back after a particularly agressive passer tried (inadventently of course - he apologized later) to put me into the wall at T10. With the NESBA crew I feel like I have about 20 "big brothers" keeping an eye on me...

Finally, it was especially great having 3 (count 'em 3!!) lady riders in the A group. And Christen, we'll keep working with you so you can come join us. We just need Nichole back from mommy duties next year. There were even some new girls in the B group. It was awesome!

Now time to start planning (and saving $$$) for next year.

NESBA Rocks!!

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Haha.... Messing with Kim is probably as bad as messing with a Wink daughter. Not something you'd want to do. It's a VERY LARGE extended family.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
Haha.... Messing with Kim is probably as bad as messing with a Wink daughter. Not something you'd want to do. It's a VERY LARGE extended family.
As if having to deal with "Wrath of Nolan" isnt bad enough!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Mooooooove!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
I thought about passing kim on the inside of a corner & thought to myself, "if i bin this i have big nolan to deal with, so i'll just wait" LOL

Team Mooo-ve over #219
STT A #21
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't know...

Quote:
I thought about passing kim on the inside of a corner & thought to myself, "if i bin this i have big nolan to deal with, so i'll just wait" LOL
that's what I alway think too and do the run around thing...

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

While I appreciate the safety awareness while passing Kim, she is a big girl and is a NESBA Advanced rider because she can handle close passing at speed. I trust our Advanced to group to make smart passing decisions most of the time and I trust in the abilities of the group to recognize and react to keep fellow riders off the ground. We all know its not a race but the level of talent participating means that we have to accept race-like passing situations sometimes. At BHF a few weeks back, Kim even got to experience what happens when a fellow rider passes so close on the outside that his shoulder was in contact with her outside knee. She didn't panic, held her line, and the rider completed the pass. Its a trust thing that I've learned to appreciate ever since I earned my black A sticker.

Track Junkie #79
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Then ask her about my pass on her at the SED weekend

You know on TV when you watch racing and in the background you see a bike shoot across the screen. That was me. I was coming out of 7 and decided to drive down past her toward the apex and double apex it. I forgot she's on a 750 and I'm on an SV. I thought **** I'm committed and I can't slow down or I'll punt her big time! It's really hard to enter dead bear when you never touch the brakes.

I look back as I exit 8 toward 9 and she's just shaking her head. I know exactly what words she was saying.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

It was great seeing you all and riding with some of you!!

Craig, thanks for the photos!!

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
that's what I alway think too and do the run around thing...
Quote:
While I appreciate the safety awareness while passing Kim, she is a big girl and is a NESBA Advanced rider because she can handle close passing at speed. I trust our Advanced to group to make smart passing decisions most of the time and I trust in the abilities of the group to recognize and react to keep fellow riders off the ground. We all know its not a race but the level of talent participating means that we have to accept race-like passing situations sometimes. At BHF a few weeks back, Kim even got to experience what happens when a fellow rider passes so close on the outside that his shoulder was in contact with her outside knee. She didn't panic, held her line, and the rider completed the pass. Its a trust thing that I've learned to appreciate ever since I earned my black A sticker.
Yea but it's a good excuse not to pass... lol

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Mooooooove!!

Quote:
I'm not worried about her holding her own at all, she's been doing it longer than i have. Its one of the learning curves i get to adapt to in A group, its more of a friend thing & my being TOO courteous i guess, I know both of us will hold our line so no worries there, afterall it was my FIRST full A day & wasn't gonna be "that guy"

Team Mooo-ve over #219
STT A #21
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Close passes don't only happen in A.

I had a fellow B rider on a liter bike attempt a pass on the outside while exiting T10 Sunday. WTF??? T10 is NOT the place to do that at Putnam!

When I saw his wheel, I backed off the throttle a touch and we tapped knees as he rode past on the edge of the pavement. Good thing I saw him or he would have been run off. Glad I was able to compensate and not put him into the hay bales. Sometimes I wonder what these guys are thinking. It's not a F'n race, bro.

I passed him back mid-straight.

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 10-20-2010 at 11:25 AM.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Thanks for the pics Craig, we missed you last night for pool

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

Quote:
Big thanks to Jordan for hooking me up with a sweet front race take-off for Sunday afternoon. Always a pleasure pitting, CRing, and riding with you bro.
anytime bro! it's been a pretty good season and it's always a pleasure hangin' and riding with you!

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

and congrats to all the bumpees! especially the fresh meat in A group... if i didn't make your welcome passes close enough, just lemme know and i can work on that for ya

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Mooooooove!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
and congrats to all the bumpees! especially the fresh meat in A group... if i didn't make your welcome passes close enough, just lemme know and i can work on that for ya
no, no we're good!!! that one into deadbear was a close one so i got me "welcome to A"

Team Mooo-ve over #219
STT A #21
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM

I put a test pass on Power House (Corey) going through dead bear. It's a long turn so I could see what line he established before making the pass. In hindsight, it was probably a bit close. I think I picked my shoulder up a bit to clear his peg. Then I drifted it out wide to give him room. He did fine. Didn't phase him. It's funny how your perspective changes with time, experience, and all that.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSX-R 750 Track Bike
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: Been on the forum since it was part of SBN

Reading all these responses really bums me out. I had my first crash ever on Saturday afternoon (after 9 years on the track) and that ended my weekend. Sounds like I missed a really good day Sunday. I did learn a good lesson though. When things are not going well, you should really just slow it down and start back with the basics than trying to force things. Looking forward to next year already.

NESBA #510 (I)
Wide Open Till Ya See God, Then Brake
Viva La Figa!
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 PM
MIA for awhile...

Sportbike: '02 Suzuki SV650s and '06 GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 2006
How you found us: Papa Wink

Hey all! Glad to hear it was such a fun weekend. Wish I could have been there! I had to work though... Next year is most likely when I will hit the track next...far too long of a break and I'm antsy to get back out there!

Tina Wink
NESBA I#328

Couldn't be better if I'd written it myself: http://www.trackdaymag.com/Article.aspx?id=114

RIP Simona Vesela 1/9/86-6/25/07
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Mooooooove!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Reading all these responses really bums me out. I had my first crash ever on Saturday afternoon (after 9 years on the track) and that ended my weekend. Sounds like I missed a really good day Sunday. I did learn a good lesson though. When things are not going well, you should really just slow it down and start back with the basics than trying to force things. Looking forward to next year already.
i'm pretty sure you were pitted next to me, we all crash & learn lessons of why we crashed.. Keep your spirits up, define what you did wrong & fix it next season

Team Mooo-ve over #219
STT A #21

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode