POST Road America 4/22 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
POST Road America 4/22

Yesterday was pretty kick ass. Road America is an incredible track. It is so fast, I was regularly in the triple digits. I'd never been there before, and it was my first full day as an Intermediate, so I was a little intimidated. A few of us stayed the night before in the Americinn in Plymouth. Quite a nice hotel, just remember to bring your swimming trunks because they have a hot tub, sauna, and pool.

The next morning we (tjpilot, Moto178, bmoney, and myself) got to the track at 6 and the gates opened up at 6:30. Registration went smoothly for the most part (johnny, thanks for the spot). We pitted near the bathrooms which was pretty convenient because it was close to pit in/out and the food stand.

It was cold out. All day it was so cold. The first two sessions were scary because 1. new track 2. new goup 3. very cold tires and very cold track. It didn't break 50 degrees until after noon. There were a few turns that seemed worse than the others. Turn 5 (of course) turn 8, and the Canadian corner. I thought I was the only one having problems until I got off the track and all I heard from everyone was "damn cold tires" and "my tires kept walking out on me." I felt better that I wasn't alone.

Second session was our first crash. Brian (bmoney) looped his 03 Gix 1k on the front straight. He'll have to tell exactly what happened, but too much power/going uphill and wind. I'll post pics this evening when I get home. Thankfully he's okay. Some skin missing from his bum and a sprained ankle is all that happened. His leathers are toast.

The sun finally poked through the clouds around third session and tires/track started warming up. We all had a good session. Turn 8 and Canadian Corner kept giving me trouble. I also passed a couple of riders.... a first for me in the "I" group.

Lunch for me consisted of two brats between two slices of bread. That hit the spot. Then I sat in my truck for a bit to warm up. I never got rid of the chill the whole day. I've got to give it to Jean, tjpilot's wife. She was freezing the whole time, but she got out and took video and pics every session. Also, Tim and I had our cams mounted on our tanks and got some good footage. I tried to tape Sean and Tim, but I couldn't keep up with them.

The front straight was fun but pretty scary. At first I was hitting 130 because I wasn't sure about my new brakes. But after a couple of sessions I topped out at 155 (and people were still screaming by me). That was the fastest I had ever gone on a bike. Thanks to 4&6 to getting my brakes to me so quickly, and thanks again to Brian for putting them on. What a difference they made.

Towards the end of the day more crashes happened. I am not sure, but I think Jim Ptak went down on turn 5. If anyone knows how he is please post up.

The day ended and we ate at Subway in some little town just north of MKE. We all looked barely alive as we sat and ate. The rush from the track had worn off and the stiff and sore muscles took over.

It was a good day. RA is a very cool track and I can't wait until June to run it again. Who else is going with me?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN

Last edited by Chills; 04-23-2004 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:52 AM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

What an awesome time!! Both the air and track were cold in the morning, but for the last morning and the afternoon sessions conditions were pretty good. All in all it was a great experience!

bmoney, I'm glad you're ok! Michelle & I were standing right there on the front straight when it happened. We didn't know who you were til Chris told us it was you, but it's good that you're not hurt!!

The R6 seemed happy. Broke her loose a few times on cold rubber, but that bike is nice. Thanks to Matt over at MD for getting me a lap timer via next day air with next to no notice.

Chills & Moto178, it was good to see you guys there, and nice meeting you TJPilot.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:59 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Glad you had from. Try going to the front straight on an SV that tops out at about 130. I could read a magizine before turn one came in up. I did teh Class school there for my first time and it was a blast. Alot of time to set up for the corners.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
PICS PICS PICS!!!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

June 10th. I'll be there with ya Chills
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 08:56 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

How big was the attendance?

Was it a small crowd because of the cold weather and it being a midweek event?
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to mention how crowded it was. The pits were completely full. Most of the people near the top were real racers, there for the whole weekend. Those of us doing the track day stayed near the grassy area on the slope.

The good thing about RA is the track is so long that you don't see the clusters of riders you see at BHF. I got lapped by riders, but not more than once.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 09:19 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Can't wait to see the vid and pics
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:04 AM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Road America is awesome! SOOO fast it's crazy. Like Chris already stated, the early morning sessions were cold, and far from confidence inspiring. I had my rear end breaking loose all over the track. I had a real scarey one in turn 8 and i really wasn't even going fast, so I got nervous. After lunch it was warming up a bit, and the track was getting warmer. The first session out after lunch felt great. Tires were hooking up, and when it was breaking loose (Canada Corner mostly) it was controlled and wasnt freakin me out at all. It was actually becoming fun to slide through that turn. Turn 8 still had me on edge all day, and turn 5 was pretty slow for me. I did start feeling more confident on turn 6 (the blind turn behind the bridge), and I actually did cut 2-5 seconds off my best lap every session I went out. I ended the day with a best lap of 2:53:01 which I was fine with. I definately think more time out there and getting over my fear of turn 8 would cut alot more time off my laps. I also have a problem getting around people. (I know, I shouldn't have that problem on a 1000), but I still feel nervous coming off my line to go around people. Stupid, I know, but hey this was only like my second track day, and my first that I was allowed to pass through most of the track. I have pictures, but not many. My camera died after like 10 shots. If bmoney gives me the go ahead I will post the shots I got of his bike and leathers.

I had an awesome time, and I want to say how great it was meeting up and hangin with you guys! Bmoney, Chills, TjPilot, and Jean, you all rock! Hope to see you guys on the track again soon! XXSIVSPD, it was nice seeing you there!

GOOD TIMES!!!

Oh yeah, my top speed on the back straight was around 173 or so. (Thats just when I happened to glance down at it). that straightaway is awesome! I cant even begin to imagine how much poop would be in my shorts if my bike looped at 135!!! Bmoney you're a damn pimp!

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Last edited by MoTo178; 04-23-2004 at 10:09 AM.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Talking I'm OK!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, it was just one of those days for me. I had a great time though and it could have been MUCH worse, for me and the bike. Thanks for all the help from the CLSB members, Chills, Moto178, TJPilot, sorry if I am leaving anyone off, the memory gets funny when clouded with major adrenaline.
What happened to me?
Well I had been having a couple of OK session, definitely dealing with cold track and cold tires. Even tire warmers didn't "bring 'em in" like I was hoping for. Started to tuck the front end in Canada corner, but stayed on the gas, pushed the handle bars back out and averted a get-off there, come out of turn 14 a gear lower than I had been using, right up in the 10.5k rpm range, and started to hammer up through 3rd as soon as 2nd gear hit the rev limiter. I was hitting probably about the same, 10.5k in third, just as I was cresting the hill coming down the front straight, WFO. This was my mistake and in retrospect, I should have short shifted or backed off of Wide Open until the front had settled. But anyway, I get to the top of the hill, just blazing, hitting around 125-130mph and the front end goes right up to 12 o'clock on me in a heartbeat. I chopped the throttle just before it reached 12, but it wasn't near enough, the bottom of the bike caught a gust of wind and proceeded to dump me back off the bike at around 1 or 2 o'clock, for a second I was staring straight at the top of the gas tank and hanging from the handle bars, I though to myself, this isn't right, I didn't have time to try and hit the rear brake before being dropped off the back of the bike.
I slid on my back side, feet forward, for a while, I'm not sure of the distance, but afer bit of this, it started getting really hot on my back side, so I rolled over to my front ( Ben Spies write-up of his high-speed getoff at Daytona was suprisingly going through my head and I was relating!). This didn't go as planned as I started to barrel roll, front to back, front to back, after doing this and not liking it too much, I went back to sliding on my back side and finally stopped moving. As soon as I stopped, I thought, shit! there are probably bikes bearing right for me, so I hooped up and ran straight for the grid-up wall and threw myself over it. I just layed there for a while panting out of breath.
All I can say is, THANK GOD I was wearing a decent back protector. I went through both layers of leather in the seat of my suit. Not only that, it went all the way through and I had to have part of the suit "scrubbed" from my left butt cheeck. The most painfull part of the get-off was that I sprained both of my ankles when I was rolling. I really wish that I had on some nicer boots that had more ankle protection, but you live and you learn.
The bike ghost rode and then went onto it's left side and even skid upside down for a short while. It is amazing how good it came out of the crash. Items that need to be replaced for sure are: sub-frame, left rear set, all left side sliders (they totally came through for me, they all ground almost all the way down and averted any damage to the frame), wind screen, body work needs patching or possibly some replacement.
I took some pics this morning, but they didn't turn out so great, but you get the idea. Thanks again to all the help and support from my fellow riders out there. Also, don't skimp on the saftey gear, this is the only thing that kept me out of the hospital yesterday. I can't even imagine what would happen with anything less than what I was wearing. Tme to start rebuilding myself and the bike.
Here are my pics:

the uncarved stone
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Slum Overlord

MY ASS!!!!!!!!!!

the uncarved stone
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Slum Overlord

small burn on my palm where I burned through my left glove. Owwie

the uncarved stone
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Slum Overlord

I had a quarter size abrasion on top of my right foot. I burned through the boot. Definitely getting some nicer boots!

the uncarved stone
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Slum Overlord

Thank god for protective heel cups! This was the left boot. Looks like fiberglass or some composite in there. Well, it did what it was supposed to do.

the uncarved stone
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Slum Overlord

The tail of my bike Looks like someone needs some wheelie bars!

the uncarved stone
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Slum Overlord

The tank. I bought this of ebay as a "track tank". It isn't leaking so this just adds a little character to my ride
I now have what's called, a Suzuk.

the uncarved stone
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:42 AM

Holy crap, batman! Thank god for the sacrifices our bovine friends make on our behalf, eh? Glad you're no more damaged than you are after your excitement.

I missed the day - crap came up at work. Grrrr.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Slum Overlord

last couple. This is the tail section. Pimpin' it large

the uncarved stone
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Slum Overlord

check out the frame slider.

the uncarved stone
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Slum Overlord

The left rear set. The solid peg ground down to under half of it's original length.

the uncarved stone
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Old School

Sportbike: 85 V65 Sabre
Years Riding: 27 years of street and dirt before that
How you found us: from roach

Send a message via AIM to WITMAN
Glad you are ok!!

Hey bmoney glad to hear you are ok I have never seen leathers eaten up like that!! WOW!!
Might want to hit racing leathers- barnacle bill get some custom made or syed leathers-
I really like my side boots lots of protection- and reasonable price.
Maybe look at held or another top end glove.
again glad you are ok!!!
whit

<............... Whitney

TWO WHEELS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO EXPERIENCE HEAVEN ON EARTH
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Registered Abuser

Sportbike: ATK605,CR250,VTX
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: S.C.M.O.D.S.

UNREAL! Wow, glad your OK.

Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in need of service. A breakdown is eventual.
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Slum Overlord

The windscreen. This is it for now. Thanks again to everyone's help. TJ, shoot me some of that video when you get it converted from tape. Let's see some more "up-beat" pics of RA. I don't want to bring everyone down. Oh yeah, please wear your saftey gear when riding. Time to go ice them ankles again.

the uncarved stone
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Brian, glad you made it back home safetly. How are ya feeling? You were pretty hyped up on adreneline after the crash. I'm sure you're feeling some of the pain today. How is that new trailer working for you? I didn't get to see it... post some pics.

I bleed GREEN
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Awwww, it'll buff right out. Glad you made it past that OK. I'll bet you wanted your butt squirted with a fire hose when ya got up.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Brian didn't even know there was a chunk of skin missing from his bum until I pointed it out and sent him to the medic.

I bleed GREEN
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:54 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Chit!! That's some hairy stuff man. Glad you came away okay. That's funny that you mentioned that Daytona wreck - the same article came to mind when I was reading your post. Great presence of mind to move around some.

Any chance Jack was around to catch the sequence on film? I bet for a second or two there you looked like an icy hot stunna!

Heal up quick!

<---- Patrick

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Slum Overlord

Fire hose, bucket of ice, you name it. I didn't think that it would be appropriate to post a pic of my "ass abrasion"
The funny thing was, I didn't even realize that it had gone all the way through to my skin. Chills told me when I asked him if it looked like my Tai Chi inner suit was torn. He was like, "uh, yeah! You need to get over to the medical center now!"

Chills, the trailer is fine, although, I have no place to store it!! ha ha. hey, if anyone knows of some place half way cheap to store a 6x10 enclosed trailer in or near the city, let me know.

the uncarved stone
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Holy Crap, bmoney. Glad your O.K. Now you have an amazing story to tell your grandkids about.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
DAMN!

impreessive, that safety gear is! Glad you came away relatively unscathed.

<--------Sticky Nicky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode