so who went to R.A. with nesba? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

so who went to R.A. with nesba?

how was it?

how did ya do dirtbiker?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Brake failure just as I was hitching up my skirt and stopping the girly-man riding!

First time I've been glad to be slow.

http://www.nesba.com/TrackTalk/bb/Fo...ML/001513.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

wow glad you didnt get hurt, everything happenes for a reason, god was with you bro.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:00 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Dang, that's a scary place to lose some brakes Danch! Glad you came out of dood

Long read, deal with it!

I had a great time! I was considerably nervous going into this, I musta taken a piss every 15 mins from the time I woke up thursday morning until the first time we went out on the track.

Let me say that the parade laps (first session) were a little too fast imho, but in hindsight nothing bad happened, and I'm sure a lot of the people that have done this before were ready to get going, so I just stayed in my comfort zone and let it flow. I tend to be a little modest about my abilities, even to the point of saying that it's just a confidence problem. I was fine at the beginning pace and only had one little pucker moment on the first session, actually the first lap, coming into turn 5. That turn is blind and most of the braking area is downhill, so it comes up pretty damn fast. The guy in front of me was a little more surprised than me as he went straight off the turn, and it took a lot for me to not just follow him off But I tossed it in and made a mental note to give that turn a little respect the rest of the day.

The next session was spent working on brake points and not turning in so early, and it seemed that I was putting in decent laps. By the third session I was setting up turns very well and getting good drive out of them. I even passed a coupla busas on the back straight out of a turn. Of course they passed me and parked in the next turn, but I was happy that I got that kind of momentum out of a turn.

After lunch, I rode like SHIT. The first 2 laps I was missing my points and driving WAY too deep into turns. I kept finding myself having to trail brake to make the turns, so I eased back a little for two laps and rode a bunch slower. Then I tried to get back up to speed for a lap and realized I was getting tired and it wasn't gonna come back to me, so I packed it up and went home. I wish kinda wish I wouln't have, but I felt like I was putting myself (or worse, someone else) in jeopardy so I think it was the right thing to do. Sucks missing out on some sessions though, felt like a heroin addict walking away from a fix.

What an awesome track though! Four miles long,(made for easy passes when neccesary, and little traffic at most times) pavement in awesome shape, and besides a little chilly the first session, nearly perfect weather. You guys who didn't go because of the cold they had last year really missed out this time. By 10am it was nearly 50 degrees and hardly any clouds, never had any traction issues.

I have to thank NESBA, CLSB, and Ken for doing this stuff, I would have never done this without you guys. From getting all the gear, advice, confidence and the track day itself. You guys rock!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

hey not bad at all, and considering thats one of the FASTEST tracks, its EASY to get in over your head, glad you had fun, and hope to see you at the next track date or anyone of them infact

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:12 PM

Oh yeah, I'll be back! And that place is damn fast, I was watchin some of the guys go thru some of the faster straights and thinkin, "i can't be going nearly that fast", it sure didn't feel like I was doing close to 150
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

sweet read, glad ya had fun, was that your first time on the track? Thats a tough track for a noob!!! good job, welcome to our addiction definetly get to some of the other tracks as well!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 06:51 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

ah turn 5...the memories

it helps going through that turn if you look way down the track at the bridge. that will help you to not fixate on staring at the track right in front of your bike and having a booboo there. T5 also looks scary because of all those filler lines on the track but they're fine. Just don't look at them.

Glad you had fun!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 07:58 AM

Yep, that was the first time on a track. First time I rode my bike fast too

It's definitely fun stuff, I'm gonna try to make on of the Autobahn days later this year.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:05 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
Yep, that was the first time on a track. First time I rode my bike fast too

It's definitely fun stuff, I'm gonna try to make on of the Autobahn days later this year.
Damn, I've already run Blackhawk 3 times and I still don't think I'm ready for RA...that's a serious road course.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:32 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
Damn, I've already run Blackhawk 3 times and I still don't think I'm ready for RA...that's a serious road course.
RA is intimidating because:
a.) long ass straights
b.) several of the corners have patchwork or sealer strip.

Don't go balls out on the throttle for the first couple times and you should be okay. Even Pokey was getting a bit of headshake by about 5th gear in Kettle Bottoms. Can get windy in that Kettle Bottoms going into Canada corner.

And for the new turn, DON'T get on the gas too hard coming out of it. At least one racer sent himself into a highside this weekend, and Danch here went down last season there. Umm, Dan, you should probably skip RA. Does NOT seem to be a track for you.

Good thing about that track is the corners are spread out so you can work on several corners in the same lap. I was working on the braking for Canada corner this weekend, started working on T5 braking zone. With the SV the brake markers are not valid, but it takes balls to go to the 2 marker before hitting the brakes (SV tops out at 130 or so, about 30mph slower than a 600).

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
And for the new turn, DON'T get on the gas too hard coming out of it. At least one racer sent himself into a highside this weekend, and Danch here went down last season there. Umm, Dan, you should probably skip RA. Does NOT seem to be a track for you.
Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping at least one of the days there the end of next month in favor of blackhawk in the middle of the month. Like to run one of those days just to not let the track get the last word in...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode