Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Post Ride Report

Hmmm... I don't have a clue where to start, neither do I have the time to do a full write up, but suffice it to say, if Barber is better than this track, it has to be Heaven. RoadAtlanta is absolutely an AWESOME track!! The track has a good front straight, short back straight (5 to 6) and then a LONG back straight (7 to 10A). Full of great turns, the "Esses" and some hairy spots, it has challenges for everyone. Hell, when you come up the hill out of 10B to 11, all you can see is sky. Then the guys in front of you disappear (DOWN, way down...) and you come of the crest and sweep down through 12 back onto the front straight. SUPER TRACK!!

We had a good showing of NESBA Midwest there with some CLSBers mixed in as well. Off the top of my head, CLSBers were Mopar, AdrenalinJunkie, ButchF & son Chris, Marshall. There were tons of Midwest CRs and other regulars... I am sure I will forget someone, but hey, they can post up... Garth, Fred, Marshall, Scott, Alan & Melissa, Andy, Boyd brothers, Mr. Drucker, etc...

We all went out for dinner on Saturday night and just had a great time (Looking forward to more screwdrivers with Marshall, LOL). I think we must have had 50 plus peopl efrom NESBA at the restaurant we went to.

Crashes -
Fred high-side in T7, which is slick as hell right there. Sore but nothing serious, bike needs throttle tube and cable, and a little body work on the right side. Fred was limping a little, and had a sore foot, but was otherwise in great spirits.
Matt went down in 10B, details are on the NESBA site at http://www.nesba.com/TrackTalk/bb/Fo...ML/001963.html if you wanna see it all. Suffice it to say, Matt (mdr14) is FAST, and of course, he went down at the end of the fastest part of the track. Bike needs some work on the top, no major damage. Matt coulda been MUCH worse, but he ended up with a separated shoulder. As always, the stud doesn't give up. He picked up the bike, and friggin rode it back in with a separated shoulder. I saw him shortly afterwards and before he went into the hospital and he was crackin jokes and great spirits as always.
Of course, gimp number 1 (Fred) drove gimp number 2 (Matt) to the hospital. Glad no one got hurt seriously, Matt should be fine before Barber rolls around in Alabama on February 4th (most likely date).

AdrenalinJunkie and Mopar. Man, these guys are riding at the top of "I".
AJ turned an extremely fast 1:45.91 on his new STOCK 636, of course, he's bitchin about it only going 160. And yes, people were going a heck of a lot faster than that through turn 9 (more of a kink).

Mopar - Mr. 666. Tries to present himself as a badass. Sorry to destroy the rep, but he is one of the funniest guys I know. Polite and considerate as well. And a fast "I" - he ran 1:46s. Rumor part that rings true - he is good at drinking. Very good. Anyhow, Mr. 666 is ready for a new steed. Not only can he ride much faster than that bike can go, but the damn thing tried to buck him off coming out of 10B. He evidently fish tailed, got thrown up in the air a couple of feet and saved it just in time to catch the pit out. Now for those of you that don't know this track, that is right under a bridge (no protection) and right at the top of a 100 to 200 foot DROP in elevation on the track. For me, literally the scariest part of the track as you can't see where it goes, and if you are too wide... well, let's just say your day would be over. Mopar wins the award for save of the weekend. Of course, he couldn't get laid if you paid for it for him... but that is a whole 'nother thread...

The Folks -
Well run event. Great CRs, Great Venue, Great Photographers, and most important, the people at the track, the riders, were just all a great pleasure to be around. There was a large group of guys from DC, a group from New Jersey, even guys from the Bronx. This was not by any means a local event. And everyone was typical NESBA friendly.

Heck we even had Jeff May, who just finished the season #5 in the AMA Pro Championship. And of course... Alan and Andy showed him some midwest hospitality. Amazing seeing these guys go through the "Esses". Just unbelievably fast.

Anyhow, here are a couple of shots. For the actual track, go to http://www.roadatlanta.com/2004Petit.pdf

Alex-Thumbs-Up.jpgMoparSleeps.jpgBoth2.jpgDaveLeading.jpgMarshallChrisDrucker.jpgButchChris.jpg

By the way, AdrenalinJunkie and I rode Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap on Friday on the way down... I'll get another thread on that one when I get a chance. It was nuts!

If you ever have a chance, this is well worth the drive. By the way, it snowed 2-3 inches in Atlanta on Monday after we left, they had to close down I-75 and I-85, so we had great timing as well.

Hope y'all enjoy the write-up.

Brian (#19)

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Last edited by Wink; 11-22-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Next time I am definitely there!

BTW, Barber is in Birmingham, AL not Florida.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Falcon Trainer

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati 848 Evo, 2012 HD Softail Deluxe
Years Riding: Lots of years....
How you found us: ??

Send a message via AIM to BusaGirl Send a message via Skype™ to BusaGirl
Nice pictures guys! I'm sorry I missed it.... but I have some upcoming news for some of you.... let me say I might be doing some serious time at Mid-Ohio next year.....

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

XBOX Live: JustPlatinum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Good to hear about the fun times.

Mopar- looks like your bike needs to take a visit to Drucker for some suspension work. You can probably squeeze another season out of it, but definately in need of some suspension upgrades.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Nice write up Thanks

Now I just have to plan on making it down there next year

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
Damn sounds like a hella good time, and kick ass to race. Anymore pics up anywhere else to check out? Nice mr 666 taking a beauty nap.... lol

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Hunny,

I think I have a couple of hundred pics from down there. If you want, swing by I'll burn you a CD.

I live at 59 & 90.

Brian

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few

Great pics, I'm so going to the track next year. I've never been to one on a bike before. I went to Gingerman with my bro and his TA a few times. Looks twice as fun. Nice job guys

Eric
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard_002000
Great pics, I'm so going to the track next year. I've never been to one on a bike before.
Just do it.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:55 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Good writeup Wink Im officially jealous.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Sportbike: '08 Honda CBR1000rr
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: From a friend

Great write up, Wink. Thanks again for getting me hammered on Saturday night! Those screwdrivers were awesome, and dinner was a treat with you, Dave, and those Frye boys.

Everything Brian said is true, and then some. My first time at Road Atlanta, and holy crap what a track! Fast as Hell, and unfortunately every bit as dangerous as it is exciting.

Great to see so many folks down there, wish we could've all hung out more. We'll have to rehash at the NESBA bash. By then everyone's lap times should have come down by about 5 seconds
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:09 PM
that punk kid

Sportbike: '05 ZX-6R (636)
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to AdrenalinJunkie Send a message via Skype™ to AdrenalinJunkie
Awesome writeup!!!

RA was one hell of a track. Ya didnt know what was comin up. Half the turns were blind and damn, that elevation just made it so so so much better!!!!

It was awesome seein everyone, racing, drinkin, and kickin back.

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- ** retired ** '05 Kawasaki ZX-6R
- NESBA "A" #616
- Founder/President - Creatix, Inc.
- Founder - BartendChicago - BartendChicago.com

Wikipedia - Adrenaline Junkie - An adrenaline junkie is somebody who feels as if they are addicted to adrenaline. Adrenaline junkies may enjoy competing in extreme sports like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle racing, or anything else that gets their heart rate up. This sort of addiction is brought on by enjoying the (adrenaline) "rush" gained from these activities.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Thanks Marshall.

As far as the lap times, you were ripping, I tried hangin with you a couple of sessions, and it ain't the bike difference... you looked awesome on Sunday out there. First few times you just gapped me farther and farther on the back straight... after that, it didn't matter. You were just ripping.

I was telling Will last night how you were just ripping it up out there! Anyhow, we'll see you well before the bash. And you don't need to lose 5 more seconds... although I do. Heck, I just wanted to break 40, which I missed by .17

Brian

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

No, No way!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaGirl
Nice pictures guys! I'm sorry I missed it.... but I have some upcoming news for some of you.... let me say I might be doing some serious time at Mid-Ohio next year.....

You are not moving?????? No say it aint so!!! What about the GP..

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Or and I hope this is it!!

You got a full ride sponsorship from Nike and Team Jordan and they have leased Mid Ohio for the entire season for you to ride R&D and get your feet wet before you start AMA/CCS, they also signed Brian as your Crew chief, CHI1000RR as your business manager, his girlfriend as your umbrella girl.

Damn, can I run your security and drive the truck.......

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 11-22-2005 at 01:41 PM.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:40 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Marshall, how does RA compare to Barber? I'm thinking this is another not so SV friendly track.. doesn't matter, I'll still get there eventually.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:43 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
Of course, he couldn't get laid if you paid for it for him... but that is a whole 'nother thread...
OMG.. i can't belive you just said that?!?!?!

good times from everyone, i'm so sleepy right now i will do a little write up with my pictures tonight..

LOL! someone did get my picture with my thumb up.. i didn't think anyone was looking

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM
that punk kid

Send a message via AIM to AdrenalinJunkie Send a message via Skype™ to AdrenalinJunkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy
OMG.. i can't belive you just said that?!?!?!

..its the effort that counts

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- NESBA "A" #616

Wikipedia - Adrenaline Junkie - An adrenaline junkie is somebody who feels as if they are addicted to adrenaline. Adrenaline junkies may enjoy competing in extreme sports like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle racing, or anything else that gets their heart rate up. This sort of addiction is brought on by enjoying the (adrenaline) "rush" gained from these activities.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Falcon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjohn
You got a full ride sponsorship from Nike and Team Jordan and they have leased Mid Ohio for the entire season for you to ride R&D and get your feet wet before you start AMA/CCS, they also signed Brian as your Crew chief, CHI1000RR as your business manager, his girlfriend as your umbrella girl.

Damn, can I run your security and drive the truck.......
Now that is an entertaining fantasy.... especially Candy as my umbrella girl... I'm making the Pinkriders.com shirts now!

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
that punk kid

Quote:
Now that is an entertaining fantasy.... especially Candy as my umbrella girl... I'm making the Pinkriders.com shirts now!
Need some help? I've got a design/development company that would love to be involved in a project like that.

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- NESBA "A" #616

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Damn, I hate that I missed it... next time I'm gonna not crash my bike before a big event like that and more importantly save up some more time off at work. Sounds like a rockin time!

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:56 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

*cough* Can I have my back protector back now?

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy

LOL! someone did get my picture with my thumb up.. i didn't think anyone was looking
Yep, Mopar, I was just holdin out on you, I took that pic. Lookin good man!

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:23 PM

Sportbike: '08 Honda CBR1000rr
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: From a friend

Grover,

Road Atlanta is like an evil prototype of Barber; way way faster, and way way more dangerous, with even greater elevation changes. It's definitely NOT an "SV track." My speedo indicated 174 mph on the back straight, and the fast guys on Gixxer thousands were blowing by me like I was standing still.

I'd take an SV to Barber, but not to Road Atlanta or Road America for that matter, closing speeds are too great. If everyone was on an SV it would be a blast, but not with 180hp liter bikes ripping past you at like mach 3. I felt a little outgunned on a 750, but it was fast enough to get the job done.

Barber is so flowing and fun and modern and safe, very refined motorcycle experience. Road Atlanta is a raw, unadulterated, hardcore racetrack, that will seriously kill you if you get it wrong, but if riding that track is wrong then I don't wanna be right.

Hey Wink,

Thanks for the props, I know how you felt. It was a hard track to get a handle on, especially with the cool temperatures and local fast guys showing us how it supposed to be. We all struggled at first, but I came by you on Sunday and you were going good out there. A 1:40 under those circumstances is very respectable. Of course, I put in an old AMA race from a few years back for comparison when I got home, and Nicky Hayden was turning 1:23's! Granted, he was on a full factory liter bike, in the warm summer sun, before all those concrete patches, but still ... :23's!

For reference, I think Geoff May was turning high :29's while we were out there on Sunday afternoon, in the cold ... over the concrete patches ... in traffic ... just rolling around at a track day ... ouch.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Falcon Trainer

The sounds of Road Atlanta makes me tempted to rock out on the Busa at Road America next Spring... especially if the flying tomato Busa is my 2nd Busa... I can't even imagine shifting into 4th and 5th on a Busa on the track.... then the downshifting to the corners.... Mmmmmmm.... I think I'm getting wet.....

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
that punk kid

busa at RA..o my..i'd give you mad props for that, thats a pretty technical track for a heavy flying tomato, or a giant white sperm..lol =)

i topped by bike out at 160 going by turn 9, "the kink"

but i've got a 636 =)

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- NESBA "A" #616

post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

There were two Busas running in "B". Both of them got stomped everywhere but the back straight according to a couple of DC guys I was talking to.

However, the guy that I pitted next to, turns 1:42 on his 12R. Same year as mine, he kept telling me to put it out there, but alas, it is not safety wired. Next yr it will be.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:48 PM
that punk kid

thats just nuts, but that straight would be awesome! what do busa top out at? 220?

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- NESBA "A" #616

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

186 Stock / 300 km

Test show it up to 194 I believe.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Quote:
The sounds of Road Atlanta makes me tempted to rock out on the Busa at Road America next Spring... especially if the flying tomato Busa is my 2nd Busa... I can't even imagine shifting into 4th and 5th on a Busa on the track.... then the downshifting to the corners.... Mmmmmmm.... I think I'm getting wet.....
Take both bikes to Road America If you get a good drive out of T-14 (last one), you can hit 6th on the main straight "just" before you have to brake for T-1. Be forewarned though...you WILL catch some air under the front tire coming over the hill, and T-1 comes up dam fast.

It's well worth the experience to bring both bikes

I'll be there on my little 600

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode