One Lap Around Road America - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

One Lap Around Road America

From pit out, take turn 1 in 3rd and blast down to turn 3. Donít brake too early into 3, and then square it off for a nice drive down the straight toward turn 5. Run it all the way threw the gears till it stops at 186 then right before you see turn 5, sit straight up with left leg out and positioned off the left side of the bike to create wind resistance, gently apply the brakes to compress the front, then drop two gears to 4th and brake hard, then drop 2 more gears to 2nd and gently trail brake into turn 5 setting yourself up for good drive up the hill toward turn 6 (careful, donít over shoot the turn).

Full throttle up toward turn 6 and then brake hard right before the top of the hill. Momentarily release the brakes and let the bike settle as it goes over the bump in the pavement going into turn 6. Quickly reapply the brakes to trail brake into turn 6 setting yourself up for a good drive toward 7 (be aware of the bump coming out of 6 and donít tense up when you hit it). Short shift to 3rd and roll off the throttle just a little to get the bike to change directions to the right for turn 7. Take 7 with an early apex and run it wide and full throttle down toward turn 8. Downshift to 2nd as you brake (donít forget body position) and then trail brake into turn 8 and drive it all the way out to the entrance of the carousel on the far right without moving to the left to setup the carousel.

Roll off the throttle just a little bit to get the bike to change directions to the right and enter the carousel on the far right carrying enough speed so you will not have to increase speed once you are at full lean in the carousel. Once in the carousel, weight that inside peg hard and relax the grip on the bars and lsten to the front. Drop you right elbow and push the tires so the bike runs just a little wide. Then use a little less throttle to get the bikeís momentum shifted toward the inside rumble strips at the end of the carousel, while pushing harder on the inside peg if you can. Once you get to the rumble strips on the inside at the end of the carousel, full throttle out to the rumble strips on the outside and then drift to the right to set up the bend.

Quickly brake and downshift to 2nd, set up the tight left on the far inside (donít over shoot it) and then square off the tight right to get as good a drive as possible out of the bend and then threw the gears to 186 though kettle bottoms.

On the brakes into Canada corner (turn 12) with 2 quick down shifts (donít forget body position) and then more braking and then 2 more quick downshifts to 2nd. Trail brake into turn 12 and setup for a good drive up the hill.

Short shift to 3rd, and steer to the right to set the bike up for the fast left (Turn 13) under the Billy Mitchell bridge. This turn is off camber and the bike will want to see-saw a little so reduce the turn radius as much as possible and full throttle all the way to the far outside of the turn. Stay full on the throttle and steer back to the left to setup turn 14.

Without braking too much and too early, use the brakes a little to late apex turn 14 and maximize the drive onto the front straight. Run the gears up to 186 in a full tuck position being careful as you crest the hill at the start/finish to keep the front end from getting too light and unstable.

Wait for the side road to the left to brake and then sit straight up off to the right side of the bike with your right leg straight out and drop three gears to 3rd while trail braking into turn 1. Relax and wait for bump going into turn 1 and then full throttle out to the edge of the track . Pull up the front to carry the front tire down the hill toward turn three.

RINSE and REPEAT.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Yeah...that's exactly how I did it except my little 600 would top out at about 150, and I don't have the balls to brake that deep into T-1 yet

Good write-up Ron A perfect NESBA event.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

slap a yellow box on that POS boy!

p.s. good write up ron.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Yellow box? Is that the same as a TRE?

Great write up Ron! I think you missed that part about going up inside the Carousel on your buddy.... LOL!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
Yellow box? Is that the same as a TRE?
A Yellow Box is to correct the speedometer reading.

Dave
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Doesn't make any difference, bike computer tops it out at 186. So it is wrong no matter what you do. Suzuki told me yesterday that even with a TRE, it still won't read above 186 even when you remove the early rev-limiter in 6th gear.

Of course, the yellow box would make a difference at speeds below 186. I don't really care what is indicated anyway, I just don't want the early rev limiter screwing with my acceleration on the straights.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:18 AM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Cool write-up. I noticed you do a couple things different than me (besides going much faster). Are these just personal preferences or is there a reason to do them?

1)Why do you downshift a couple times, then wait for the other downshifts? Does the '05 have a slipper clutch?

2)You say to weight the inside peg in the carousel, I thought weighting the inside peg helped the bike turn in but once turned weighting the outside peg would give it more stability.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:22 AM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

Very nice write up Ron. However, if I take turn 5, 6, 8, and Canada Corner in second I loose a hell of a lot of corner speed and drive out of the turns. I know that sounds backwards, but Im more than likely redlining those turns at apex in second. This is on a stock 636 though, so on your Gixxer 1000 you can go like another 30 or 40 mph in second than I can.

Heres how I took it towards the end of the day Thursday:

Exiting 14 hard on the gas in second, be careful that rear doesnt step out. Upshift to 3rd expecting to get some headshake. Into 4th at the dip and run that out to the top of the hill, upshift to 5th at the top of the hill and 6th when its out of steam. Relax............

Hit a measley 160 mph at the end of pit wall and hit the brakes. Body acting like a sail, on the brakes at a medium rate, 3 downshifts to 3rd and remind yourself that you can take turn 1 a lot faster than you think. Expect to get a little unnerved by the bumps in the apex of 1 and drift all the way to the rumble strips. Top out 3rd and move to 4th never changing your body position, just tuck in the knee. Hit the brakes at the #4 marker, downshift to 3rd, use a bit of trail braking into the turn. If Im lucky, Ill late apex, carry enough corner speed, and exit 3 at 100 mph with a little headshake hard on the gas. Wind out the gears and RELAX........

Probably only hit 165 on the middle straight because Im scared of the braking zone at 5. At the the theoretical 5 1/2 marker set up my body position and make the body a sail. Apply the brakes at #5 marker, down 3 gears, and hope to carry enough corner speed that Im running above 8000 rpms at the exit of turn 5. Keep the body positioned to the left still, and tuck in the knee for "aerodynamics". If I exited 5 with enough speed Ill wind out 3rd and hit the brakes hard. Crest the hill and trail brake a bit into 6. Late apex 6 and hard on the gas on exit.

Pretending 7 is a kink and not a turn, so I dont try to drag a knee, Ill hopefully carry enough speed that Ill upshift to 4th on exit and head down the hill. Hit the brakes and make like a sail at #4 marker. Downshift to 3rd, trail brake and never carry enough corner speed thru 8. Bog until the Snap-On bridge and turn in for the carousel.

Take a cruise around the caroucel always worrying about what the hell the tires are going to do (they always stuck like glue). Stay to the inside of the crack in the pavement at mid track and narrowly miss the rumble strips on the inside. Rolling on the gas, exit wide left and pass all the people who stayed way too far inside. Almost top out 3rd when you slam on the brakes at the #3 1/2 marker. Let your eyes bug out while on the brakes into the chicane and downshift to 2nd. Tap a knee around the left hander and quick roll off to change directions. Roll on the throttle going into the right hander because you didnt carry enough corner speed at the beginning. Hard on the gas out of the right hander and expect the front wheel to skip along the pavement.

Into the kettle bottoms. Top out 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, but dont shift to 6th because you are scared of braking into Canada Corner. Muscle your bike around the left hand kink (even using body position to turn the bike). Downshift to 3rd on the brakes, body acting like asail, and keep the corner speed up around #12. Early on the gas to drift as far left on exit and make 12 and that right hander just before the Billy Mitchel Bridge all one turn.

Wind out 3rd and roll off the gas to start the turn in to the left under the bridge. Maintanence throttle around the blind, off-camber left hander and drift as far left as possible. Narrowly miss the rumble strips on exit and drift to the white line on the right. Wind out 3rd and dont bother to move back left for the set up to 14. The track turns for you. On the brakes and downshift to 2nd. Begin turn in after the second white line and stay to the inside of the patches. Get on the gas drifting to the left and watch for that rear tire to step out.

Rinse, repeat.

This only netted me a 2:47, maybe a little faster (if the lap timer was working). I know where I can improve and what I can do to go faster, but I will need to work with a control rider next time.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_EATER
Into the kettle bottoms. Top out 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, but dont shift to 6th because you are scared of braking into Canada Corner.
I "wasn't" scared to shift into 6th until I found myself WFO at the second apex. For ME, I found out that the apex is the wrong place to try downshift and brake in time for Canada corner. I decided to christen the new pavement with a nice blackmark showing the proper line into the gravel trap. When I finally came to a stop about 10 feet from the far wall, I was still upright, pulling the seat out of my ass. My new paint job got christened on the belly pan so at least that's out of the way now.

There's nothing worse than sitting in the gravel trap waiting to come back out as the CR's and all the people you passed are going by.

Nice description VTEC.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebusa60544
Cool write-up. I noticed you do a couple things different than me (besides going much faster). Are these just personal preferences or is there a reason to do them?

1)Why do you downshift a couple times, then wait for the other downshifts? Does the '05 have a slipper clutch?

2)You say to weight the inside peg in the carousel, I thought weighting the inside peg helped the bike turn in but once turned weighting the outside peg would give it more stability.

1) I downshift in doubles cause I'm just not good at everything yet. It is like cheating, really. Place focus on initial brake pressure to compress the forks, switch focus to 2 downshifts cause the speed has reduced enough to allow that, switch focus back on braking and monitoring speed and when speed reduction allows, switch focus back on downshifting again, then switch focus to setting up the turn and hitting the apex for a good drive. If I was really good these steps would not require as much focus and would be more "automatic", but that is the best I can do at this point. The 05 does have a slipper clutch, but I try to be smooth enough that it never engages. Sometimes I am and sometimes I am not.

2) I never weight the outside peg. I always strive to weight the inside peg as much as possible and sit as close to the tank as possible. I combine this with relaxing and dropping my inside elbow straight down, looking as far as possible down the track and through the turn and leading with my forehead. When I get all these going at the same time, I am on my way toward good body position. The more I weight the inside peg, the quicker the bike turns and the less weight I put on my hands which allows me to "hear" what the front end is saying.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Lap from last season with ben spies
go to link /right click on file save as. (5 meg)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/stevic...ts.wmv&.src=bc

Last edited by Ohfugit; 04-22-2006 at 04:47 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man

Thanks for the video! That is the old track before they put in the bend and did all the repaving. Very cool.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
whoops sorry bout that. see what happens when you get old

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Ron,

You are SO my hero!

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
I'm a blessed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taborn
Ron,

You are SO my hero!
You funny Bill.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode