leathers question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: 6 yrs
How you found us: friends

Send a message via AIM to mkurgan
leathers question

i am looking on doing my first track day at the end of this month, question is do you guys recommend a leather suit or separate pants and jacket??? and why one or the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 AM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

A one piece offers more protection because it's less likely to come apart and/or ride up during a slide.

A two piece can be more comfortable and easier to put on/take off.

Wearing just half of the one piece can also be a little tricky.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:55 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSIVSPD
A one piece offers more protection because it's less likely to come apart and/or ride up during a slide.
+1

I'd buy a one piece just for that reason, that is unless you plan on using the armor when riding on the street, then i'd get a 2 piece. Even with a 1 piece, you can still unzipper to the waist and let it hang off of you so you dont stay hot while in the pits waiting to grid up.

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:52 AM

Sportbike: 97 TL1000s,CBR F2 (track) 99 SV (track), 2k3 CRF Fiddy
Years Riding: not nearly long enough
How you found us: Veddersbetter I think...

I like my one peice. I have taken it off and worn it around my waist a few times but I've been told by a few trusted in the leather bus people that it's way hard on the zipper. I usually just hold mine up or take them off. Seems to work for me. I don't trust the whole two peice thing just because of the zipper in the middle. I don't know if they would split or not but I wouldn't want to find out either. I have a SPIDI set that I really like, they are very comfy and I've worn them on the street more than once when it has been cold or we were doing long rides. Good luck at the track

NESBA #469

"It's better to be on the track for just one lap than to be a spectator for life."
1997 TL1000S
1991 CBR F2 X2
1999 SV650
2k3 CRF 50 (modded to bling extreme)
?? Chinese Knock off 50
I need a bigger garage!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 01:00 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
A 2 piece is sometimes cheaper and you can use the jacket and/or pants seperately when riding on the street. I had a 2 piece JR Speedmaster for my first 2 years riding track and I crashed twice in it. The second crash was a nasty highside and the suit held up great. I was sliding for a good 150 feet or so and the suit didn't come apart. I did like the comfort of being able to take off the jacket in between sessions.

Since then I've gone to a custom made 1 piece from Syed. I'm a little dude and off the rack suits didn't fit me well. The 1 piece is nice and fits great but sometimes on those hot days I miss being able to take off that jacket and walk around.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 07:00 PM

I got a 2-piece just because I'm a female and it's easier to go to the bathroom I'm not too worried about the zipper because I wear a back protector too.

I don't think I have ever seen a guy wearing a 2-piece at the track (but then again I've only been to 4 track days).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:02 PM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

2 piece suits are pretty safe, the one issue I had was the connecting zipper would some times ride up a little, and I slid on my belly where it actually rode up and exposed my skin to the asphalt once. Not fun... but luckly it only burned 2 layers of t-shirts and I didn't get rashed.

Also, it's hard as hell to get a full size back protector in a 2 piece suit. The tail bone protector doesn't want to stay in the pants. I always ended up just folding it back.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGu
2 piece suits are pretty safe, the one issue I had was the connecting zipper would some times ride up a little, and I slid on my belly where it actually rode up and exposed my skin to the asphalt once. Not fun... but luckly it only burned 2 layers of t-shirts and I didn't get rashed.

Also, it's hard as hell to get a full size back protector in a 2 piece suit. The tail bone protector doesn't want to stay in the pants. I always ended up just folding it back.
+1

I had the same situation happen to me recently, except I got rash on my belly. I could feel it happening, so I rolled over.....and over and over and over, ragdoll style. Happened at Putnam, nice abrasive track.

I have 1 pc. leathers on the way.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:39 PM

I was encouraged to get a one piece for the track. I opted for a cheaper one at first,to give the track a try, and have since upgraded to a better brand.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Get a 1-piece if you plan on doing lots of track days or go racing.

Otherwise, get a two-piece with a full-circumference zipper. Go perforated for summer comfort.

I was thinking about having Alexa put some buttons on the inside of my 1-piece, so I could make a pair of suspenders to go inside... so they can hang off me without having to stress the zipper.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode