MS Excel: Track Bike Checklist - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

MS Excel: Track Bike Checklist

I'm sure most of you have a checklist by now, but I didn't, so I made one up and figured I would share it. The tire pressures and torques are for MY bike, so change the values to your settings. I deleted out the suspension settings since I'm still dialing it in. Modify it to suit your needs.

You'll need WinZip to open it up.

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip Track Bike Checks-2.zip (3.5 KB, 12 views)

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:58 PM
that punk kid

Sportbike: '05 ZX-6R (636)
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to AdrenalinJunkie Send a message via Skype™ to AdrenalinJunkie
good post, pretty complete. Did you make this?

I saw an excel sheet our there that would track your bike setting throughout the day, tire pressure, suspension settings..etc.

Never downloaded it, but that's by far the best out there. You've got a nice thing goin on. Awesome checklist of bolts..torque..etc.

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- ** retired ** '05 Kawasaki ZX-6R
- NESBA "A" #616
- Founder/President - Creatix, Inc.
- Founder - BartendChicago - BartendChicago.com

Wikipedia - Adrenaline Junkie - An adrenaline junkie is somebody who feels as if they are addicted to adrenaline. Adrenaline junkies may enjoy competing in extreme sports like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle racing, or anything else that gets their heart rate up. This sort of addiction is brought on by enjoying the (adrenaline) "rush" gained from these activities.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Good Format and smart idea for sure, no doubt.

But lets be for real here. Safety wiring caliper mounting bolts, brake line banjo bolts, front axle pinch bolts, brake pad retaining pins, caliper banjos. Is that all really necessary? I don't think so. If they are tourqued to spec and installed correctly they all be just fine. Safety wiring anything with fluid (oil, water) behind it makes sense, but technically if its tourqued to spec will be fine without. A paint marker on all the bolts you listed above is easier and good enough in my opinion. That way you can keep an eye on it after you tourque it down. A once or twice look over a few times a day is good practice.

Let me ask you this question. The WERA endurance guys? Or even AMA guys for that matter do you think they safety wire there freakin caliper bolts and axle pinch bolts when they have to come in for a wheel/tire change?

Don't get me wrong here, good post, and I am in no way disrespecting, just expressing my opinion.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 AM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Those things are required to race with WERA. I wired my bike up mostly to WERA specs and it included all bolts with fluid behind them, brake caliper bolts, axle, axle pinch bolts, etc. Even wired my rearset bolts just because I have issues with them backing out sometimes even with locktite and a torque wrench.

You can make it easier though by just using clips for the calipers and such instead of having to use new safety wire each time. Just unclip it when you need to swap a wheel.

I'm not sure how it works with endurance racers though, I always assumed that AMA guys at least have some sort of quick change system where the calipers don't even need to come off. You sorta just see them drop the wheel off the bike, I don't remember ever seeing a pit crew remove the calipers. At this point, I'm just talking out my ass

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I always figured that I took the calipers on and off enough that they would be more stressed than other bolts so they were more likely to back out. I wasn't comfortable on the track without the front caliper bolts wired.

Good list, more preparation is better

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGu
Those things are required to race with WERA. I wired my bike up mostly to WERA specs and it included all bolts with fluid behind them, brake caliper bolts, axle, axle pinch bolts, etc. Even wired my rearset bolts just because I have issues with them backing out sometimes even with locktite and a torque wrench.

You can make it easier though by just using clips for the calipers and such instead of having to use new safety wire each time. Just unclip it when you need to swap a wheel.

I'm not sure how it works with endurance racers though, I always assumed that AMA guys at least have some sort of quick change system where the calipers don't even need to come off. You sorta just see them drop the wheel off the bike, I don't remember ever seeing a pit crew remove the calipers. At this point, I'm just talking out my ass
Clips do work really good, thats a lot easier than wiring up all that stuff between wheel changes.

I really want to know how those endurance/AMA guys do the quick wheel changes so fast, that is just bad ass how they pop the wheel off and pop the other one back on. Hopefully they do have some kind of safety mechanism to make sure shit doesn't back out.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

I would think that for practice, the racers wouldnt safety wire things like caliper bolts, or items that will be regularly coming off while testing and tuning the bike, however, for the race, I would think they would safety wire everything that is required.

As for quick change systems for AMA guys, maybe only for the Daytona 200, and that would be the factory guys only. I cant see how a privateer could afford quick change systems seeing as they are multi-thousand dollar items, and only get used for maybe one race a year.

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:25 AM
G97
I heart NEG REP

Sportbike: Fast One
Years Riding: 32 years
How you found us: ?

As Mr. Gu stated the WERA guys have to wire just about EVERYTHING. Used to have to wire all eight exhaust header pipe bolts until just last year. Most of the top teams use quick exchange stuff and have set ups that allow you to pull the front wheel and leave calipers in place. One pinch bolt and the axle is it.

I agree with Grasshoper, proper torque and regular inspection goes along way.

You can do simple things like bending the ends of hose clamps back over the screw end will prevent those from backing out. Using locktight on items that are not regularly required is also a good idea.

AMA only requires fill, filter,drain to be wired. NESBA tech is more complete and stringent than both CCS and AMA.

GARTH
www.nesba.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:28 AM
G97
I heart NEG REP

Sportbike: Fast One
Years Riding: 32 years
How you found us: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_EATER
I
As for quick change systems for AMA guys, maybe only for the Daytona 200, and that would be the factory guys only. I cant see how a privateer could afford quick change systems seeing as they are multi-thousand dollar items, and only get used for maybe one race a year.
AMA no longer allows the trick quick change stuff like they use to.

Some WERA guys have some pretty neat stuff that works really well and is reasonable $ wise. Not as trick as the top $ stuff but it works pretty good.

GARTH
www.nesba.com
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 AM

Thats a great idea. Some kind of washer, that has a flap on it, put that behind all bolts that you are worried about backing out. Obvioulsy torque them to spec but fold the flap back over a side of the bolt to retain it rather than wiring it and mark it with a paint marker. Kind of like the washer that goes behind the front sprocket nut, to keep it from backing out.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Thanks for the props guys

I sure didn''t think this would start a debate FWIW: My track bike was previously owned by two separate WERA racers, one expert, and one novice, so EVERYTHING was already safety wired when I got it. Even the header pipes, and exhaust pipe spring retainers. I just continued to safety wire everything that already had it.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but it also gives me some piece of mind out on the track. Everything that doesn't have safety wire, has some level of loctite keeping it in place...well, almost everything.

FYI: I used to work in Nuclear Power in the Navy, and a civilian plant, so I'm used to having detailed checklists for quality control type stuff. Old habit that's hard to break.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Unregister User

Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!

FYI: I used to work in Nuclear Power in the Navy

This explains everything. JK Nice job on the list.

Nesba #74 I
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:22 PM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkr
I just continued to safety wire everything that already had it.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but it also gives me some piece of mind out on the track. Everything that doesn't have safety wire, has some level of loctite keeping it in place...well, almost everything.
My aprilia was a cup bike, from the east coast and was also wired. It was intimidating at first, but wire is cheap and when you get it right it looks cool and is a safety feature.

I actually enjoy wiring things now. It has become sort of a contest between myself and my brother to do the nicest, neatest wiring job. He cheats since he has safety clips on his brakes and axles.

Porsche club track events have awards, judged by the corner workers for prep and appearance and other non-race fun stuff.

Maybe we could get some fun NESBA awards for best use of duct tape or cable-tie in a non structural application, paint jobs and so on?

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 PM
This show is 'Rated NC17'

Sportbike: Honda's & Yamaha's
Years Riding: Late 80's
How you found us: CLSB found me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGu

You can make it easier though by just using clips for the calipers and such instead of having to use new safety wire each time. Just unclip it when you need to swap a wheel. . .
+ 1

Better to wire too much than too have something fall off. I've seen it happen and thankfully nothing tragic happened but it does give you that sinking "What if?!" feeling.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

My old racebike was pretty much wired for WERA minus the exhaust bolts. Hell my STREET bike is wired. Calipers use clips so I can yank them without having to rewire them. The oil fill cap isnt incase I need to add oil while on a ride (sensative oil level light)

Vtec, it doesnt take mor than a couple seconds to rewire a wheel after changing it. And as per Murphys Law, the time you dont wire it is when something comes off.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:58 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Good Format and smart idea for sure, no doubt.

But lets be for real here. Safety wiring caliper mounting bolts, brake line banjo bolts, front axle pinch bolts, brake pad retaining pins, caliper banjos. Is that all really necessary? I don't think so.
And hopefully you won't be posting next week about how you lost your rear brake caliper and can't figure out why........

On a bike we don't get many chances to make mistakes.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode