Newb Youngin Rider -- Track Days? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Youngin

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 2007
How you found us: God

Newb Youngin Rider -- Track Days?

Hey guys, kinda new to the forum, have been browsing around for a while, but never really posted, so here's to my first post!

So I've been into bikes ever since I was a kid, and have seriously considered learning how to ride, and have even gone out and bought me a Kat 600 to learn on that I just have sitting in my garage till I can take the MSF (which won't be too long hopefully) And yeah, so everything seemed to be all fine and dandy, planned on taking the MSF late Feb/March-ish (or whenever the earliest date I can book), learn for a bit on my Kat, get my license, learn a bit more and then move on up to the bigger toys, but then I realized...I'm still a kid...insurance is going to kill me!..

I'm only 17, going on to be 18 in May. Yeah, I'm a youngin, therefore I'm stupid so I get to pay inane insurance rates, yay!

My question is, as stupid as it may sound, is insurance required for track days? If insurance rates seem too high for me (and they seem like they are going to be after getting a couple quotes for more than just liability), I'm considering just riding track for a while till I get old enough and not have to pay double the worth of my bike in less than a year for insurance.

Forgive me for my newbness..but we all gots to start somewhere right?

Last edited by NinjFour; 01-08-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 AM
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
Welcome. Have you checked with State Farm? It would be cheaper if you have cars and homeowners insurance with them too, for that you migt have to beg you parents to switch. Good luck.

Russ
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Youngin

Ah no, my parents would never agree to that. We're with Allstate, and I think my dad might kick me in the face if I demanded he switch to some other company with people that don't speak korean..

Though I haven't gotten a quote from Allstate yet..

Any info on the trackday+insurance thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:26 AM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

you dont need any kind of insurance for your bike to ride on the track, although if your concerned about costs for insurance i would definately look at track fees, cost of decent tires for the track, travel expences, and most importantly gear (leathers, boots, gloves, back protector, and a good helmet) just so you know what your getting into
and BTW welcome
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 AM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjFour View Post
Hey guys, kinda new to the forum, have been browsing around for a while, but never really posted, so here's to my first post!

So I've been into bikes ever since I was a kid, and have seriously considered learning how to ride, and have even gone out and bought me a Kat 600 to learn on that I just have sitting in my garage till I can take the MSF (which won't be too long hopefully) And yeah, so everything seemed to be all fine and dandy, planned on taking the MSF late Feb/March-ish (or whenever the earliest date I can book), learn for a bit on my Kat, get my license, learn a bit more and then move on up to the bigger toys, but then I realized...I'm still a kid...insurance is going to kill me!..

I'm only 17, going on to be 18 in May. Yeah, I'm a youngin, therefore I'm stupid so I get to pay inane insurance rates, yay!

My question is, as stupid as it may sound, is insurance required for track days? If insurance rates seem too high for me (and they seem like they are going to be after getting a couple quotes for more than just liability), I'm considering just riding track for a while till I get old enough and not have to pay double the worth of my bike in less than a year for insurance.

Forgive me for my newbness..but we all gots to start somewhere right?

You are doing a lot of things the right way to get into this sport.
I would guess many, if not most track bikes are unregistered and uninsured. Some may have some sort of theft coverage.

I would find a bike that I felt comfortable with running just liability coverage.
I do that with my very old (older than you BMW).

Perhaps a naked SV, it may even fall outside the "sport bike" catagory and save you even more $. SVs are suprisingly good track bikes too.

You are off to a good start. Get some miles in and come out a play with us at the track. Search for Hexraptors nesba day. Steve is a young-in like yourself. He rode from Woodstock to just outside of indianapolis overnight. Then rode the track, then rode home. Crazy Kid

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 AM
We ride tomorrow?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Youngin

Ah so no insurance required for track eh? Sweetness..

Well, I got most my gear already -- got me a good a* jacket, joe rocket pants, a decent pair of a* gloves, and a shoei helmet -- all I needs now are boots, so I got gear taken care of.

Do tire costs really add up? To more than --

Wait, I just went on progressive and just got a couple quotes again.

For pretty much full coverage I'm getting quoted 900-ish a year for the Kat, and I tried out a GSX-R 600, and got like 1.7kish.

That's not that bad.. Expensive but still managable. Hm.. and I swear, they were a lot more expensive earlier..
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:48 AM
We ride tomorrow?

tire costs are relative, faster riders and more powerful bikes eat tires faster. so for some people the cost is much higher than others. My advice is to read that manual i linked you to earlier cover to cover, most of what you need to know is in there. other than that id just say the pants and jacket need to zip together (again see the manual) and get somewhat comfortable with the bike before hitting the track
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
From what I've seen, Progressive is traditionally higher on bikes. I'd look at State Farm, or Allstate. I'd also recommend checking out liability, especially if you dont have alot into the bike. If you have a payment on it, be sure to stick with full-coverage.

+1 on Jacket and Pants need to ZIP together..
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Youngin

Zippers are check,

And yeah, I've heard that about progressive too, just using it as like, a general estimate sorta.

And with all the idiot drivers I see zooming around on Dundee, Palatine and 53 in their four wheeled boxes of death everyday. Not exactly a good thing when expecting to see some cars coming at you full speed while driving down Palatine because they turned into the wrong lane becomes the norm... I'd rather be safe than sorry with the full coverage -- or at least close to it anyway. Especially going into my first season.

Reading the manual now..

Last edited by NinjFour; 01-08-2007 at 01:56 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
I used to have Progressive on my F3 a couple years ago, and they were around $1100 for full coverage, I switched my car and bike to state farm, and saved approximately $600 total on the two vehicles. The bike came in around $350 a year, but the car was slightly higher.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Head Redneck

Sportbike: 2000 GSXR 750 Track Toy
Years Riding: Since I was 17
How you found us: member Rob

Quote:

Well, I got most my gear already -- got me a good a* jacket, joe rocket pants, a decent pair of a* gloves, and a shoei helmet -- all I needs now are boots, so I got gear taken care of.

For pretty much full coverage I'm getting quoted 900-ish a year for the Kat, and I tried out a GSX-R 600, and got like 1.7kish.

That's not that bad.. Expensive but still managable. Hm.. and I swear, they were a lot more expensive earlier..
Tires will last a lot longer on smaller bikes like Kawasaki's EX500 or Suzuki's GS500. You might look for something like that. Insurance would probably be lower too.

Darrell
NESBA#280

"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull
fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely
games."
Ernest Hemingway
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

State Farm has been good to me for rates. I used to pay very reasonable rates when I was 21. Though track days will cost way more than insurance as stated. With gear, fees, tires etc. Insurance is your least concern.

If you only ride track and no street, ask for a "trail bike" quote. State farm will insure my 600 RR as a trail bike that isn't used on public streets. Same as a policy they would use for a dirt bike that you used around your property.

MSF courses are good place to start. Most courses never get to speeds over 30 mph. Don't think you're experienced because you've passed one. I typically teach all my friends myself. None of them have ever had a crash! I had a roommate that took the MSF, and told me he that he'd be fine, and didn't want to hear what I had to say. He totaled his new Honda 929 in 12 days and visited the hospital because of his mistake.

Figure out what you're doing with insurance. If your going to ride on the street, go get your permit at the DMV and ride with a friend if you can. Practice in your neighborhood and get comfortable on the bike with starting and stopping.
Then progress to normal suburban streets. When your comfortable with that, come on out to a track day and we'll teach you to really ride.

The nice thing about trackdays are you ride at your pace. Just be comfortable and confident operating the bike at speed and while stopping. We'll teach you to do it better from there.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Progressive is aimed at the Cruiser market, they kill sportbikes. Insuring a bike can be surprisingly inexpensive, especially if you don't go with full coverage (better to if you can afford it though). Do you own your bike??

And as was mentioned earlier, the cost of running consistent track days will far outweigh any reasonable insurance rates you might find. Keep that in mind.

And welcome

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 AM
its ok im a gangster

Sportbike: 2005 YZF R6
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: nesba forum

Send a message via AIM to liquid
welcome to clsb. i think you'll like it here.. insurance really sucks...well paying so much does anyway...I’ve been insured since i was 17 and could’ve bought 3 bikes with that money .. i kinda learned a bit from reading around the forums and getting a few track days a year... First was your a bit to young for a credit card cause this sport I a bit expensive …what I did at 17 was get a job and save. but if your main goal it to get on the track and learn how to ride fast and safe, you can check if nickIF still has his sv for sale (track ready) and not get insurance since its going to be a track only bike... and what ever money you save spend it on gear and track days to practice. but if you also want to ride on the street get a less costly bike pay only liability and find a good crowd that you'll not get into trouble and get as much riding as you can.. wednesdays at strats maybe...and just like gkotlin said practice.. other than that your already on the right track by just asking. which is the very important in riding better. Again welcome and enjoy waiting for spring.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:

find a naked bike and watch those rates just drop

whatever you decide to do, DO come out and try a track day if you even have the inkling... it's pretty damn fun
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Youngin

Gah, I guess I should just first worry about getting that MSF course done. Money isn't really all that of an issue, it's just, well, expensive, and I'd just rather not spend soooo fargin much JUST to be able to ride on the street. Bleh. Damn my generation.

Thanks for all the help though, helped me out a bunch. Hopefully the MSF course schedules will come out soon so I can register and get on with it already. Have been waiting far too long for this!

Can't wait to get on the track either. Ooooh man
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Zodiac Freak

Sportbike: ninja 500
Years Riding: i started last spring/summer
How you found us: ttruckinon

Send a message via AIM to TifanieMarie Send a message via Yahoo to TifanieMarie
you should wait till your 18 to take the msf course otherwise you have to go take the test again at the dmv and i think you can only get a license for up to a 250 until your 18

after 18 u take the msf and walk into the dmv and they just give you your M class.

i was in the exact same situation last year, my bday is in may too, lol

If you are flammable and have legs... you are NEVER blocking a fire exit. - Mitch Hedberg

there is a time and a place for speed... and it is not on the highway with heavy traffic

when the boogeyman goes to sleep at night, he checks his closet for chuck norris.

Chris: Why do you put your hand on your hip when you ride?
Me: Where else would i put it?
Chris: ON THE HANDLEBAR?!
Me: nah
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I'd just rather not spend soooo fargin much JUST to be able to ride on the street. Bleh. Damn my generation.
I totally agree, when I was 17-18 I had a '93 VFR750... somewhat different from waht you've got now but both essentially sport tourers...

Rode a couple years on that thing, really loved riding but hated the street and all the bullshit that went along with it (plates, insurance, reg, stickers... on and on) so I just looked towards the track and only really look back to see how much money I've saved (won't be long now til tracking eclipses that though )
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifanieMarie View Post
you should wait till your 18 to take the msf course otherwise you have to go take the test again at the dmv and i think you can only get a license for up to a 250 until your 18

after 18 u take the msf and walk into the dmv and they just give you your M class.

i was in the exact same situation last year, my bday is in may too, lol
Hm, I can't just bring in that certificate when I turn 18 and get it that way? Mmm crap.. My friend's trying the same thing in Feb, so we shall see what happens. And to my understanding, a 16-17 year old CAN get a regular M class license, it's just that they have to take the course, AND take a written and road test. I'd do it, but pay even more for insurance? Hahahahahahaha...

Side note:
Wow a lot of you guys live right in my area =P

If I had to choose one, I'd rather ride track only than the road. I'm kinda considering it..with all the accidents happening and stuff.. Bah what am I saying, I don't even have my license yet. Time will tell..
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 10:49 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

As far as insurance goes, I wouldn't count on StateFarm just yet. I contacted an agent several years ago when I was younger than 25 and was advised to try something else because SF aimed mostly for over 25 riders. They still could do it, but there were cheaper alternatives around. I had good luck with American Family Insurance: good rates and claims promptly processed.

So, welcome and good luck!

PS With all the people turning to dirt these days, have you considered a possibility of buying strictly off-road dirtbike? No plates, no insurance. "Cheap fun" is what I keep hearing about it .

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Youngin

Eh, dirt looks really fun and all, but doesn't really appeal to me. Not saying that I wouldn't have fun trying it (I'm sure I probably wouldn't even want to stop), but I'd rather try and play at the track a bit.

I think I'm gonna look at it this way:
Insurance = paying just to be able to ride on the street, for "Just in case shit happens"
Track Expenses = Paying b/c I'm using up the consumables and such, and I know it's gonna be used, and well..yeah. You get the idea =D
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
As far as insurance goes, I wouldn't count on StateFarm just yet. I contacted an agent several years ago when I was younger than 25 and was advised to try something else because SF aimed mostly for over 25 riders. They still could do it, but there were cheaper alternatives around. I had good luck with American Family Insurance: good rates and claims promptly processed.

So, welcome and good luck!

PS With all the people turning to dirt these days, have you considered a possibility of buying strictly off-road dirtbike? No plates, no insurance. "Cheap fun" is what I keep hearing about it .
You get what you pay for. I had a friend that totaled his bike after 12 days with one of those cheaper alternatives. He got screwed on his claim! When my Acura was totaled after 29 days with State Farm, they gave me full purchase price and paid for some incidentals as well.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode