Question in Tires - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
Question in Tires

I'm currently running Pirelli DC3s. My pace is top of I. I was running 1:20:79 at Putnam this weekend and improving with each day out there. This was day 3 and 4 on my tires and they still had good tread.

The tires are starting to slip out on me more an more coming out of the turns. I'm aggressive on the throttle, but pretty smooth too I think.

What would be a good tire to go to next and why? I'm pretty much riding just track now. Do I need to start looking into a tire warmers also?

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
if your just doing track now. swap to slicks

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
I like the Michelin PR5/PRC combo fro track days.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

SC Pro is the next step, your pace is getting there. DOTs or if you move up to the SCs, you can do DOTs or Slicks either way.

20s are nice at Putnam, you are getting close to the promised land, my child.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

I like the idea of the SC Pros. That is what I was thinking. Should I be running warmers with them? My understanding is that warmers give you some better wear and traction first lap. Just don't know about the investment and hassle for warmers.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
20s are nice at Putnam, you are getting close to the promised land, my child.
Thanks. Jim Cromwell was towing me around helping me cut my times down. We would do well for the first 3 laps of each session then we would hit traffic which was slowing my times down. We were especially working on T1 and T2 which is a whole different animal with speed (more fun). Hopefully you can help me shave some time in October.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:00 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePro8 View Post
I like the idea of the SC Pros. That is what I was thinking. Should I be running warmers with them? My understanding is that warmers give you some better wear and traction first lap. Just don't know about the investment and hassle for warmers.

Warmers help with tire longevity and cold tear. Really doesn't help that much with the first lap on trackdays as much as it does with the first lap in a race.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Warmers help with tire longevity and cold tear. Really doesn't help that much with the first lap on trackdays as much as it does with the first lap in a race.
What he said^
Since I've started using warmers, my tires have lasted longer even as I get faster. They've helped regardless of tire, Pilot Powers and Pilot Race, all last longer with the warmers.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 PM
G2G

One thing I will say is (and some people disagree with doing this on the first lap but f them) I like using warmers during trackdays so i can go full speed on the first lap. The reason being is if you wait for your tires to come up to temp for 1.5 laps per session. You are wasting your money. You are missing out on 1.5 laps X 7 sessions. that equal 1 whole session you are just putting around ot getting the full benifet of wicking it up.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night

I had the same problem with PP 2ct's. They started sliding out real bad after 1 and a half trackdays. This is why I will not use a dual compound tire on the track. I switched to supercorsa pro's and love them. I get about 3 trackdays out of them, but they still don't slide out until the sides are almost completely worn out. I run warmers to save them from coldtear and to get the most life out of them. I just recently tried a set of Dunlop Qualifiers for an endurance day and have now gotten 3 trackdays out of them and have probably one left. While they aren't as good as the SCpro's, I am very impressed with them and will use them again in the future. After my pilot power 2ct experience, I will not run Michelins again. Pirelli and Dunlop provide a great tire.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 PM
El Burrito Volador

Sportbike: 05 GSXR600 / 04 GSXR600
Years Riding: I'm a rookie.
How you found us: NESBA

<----These are the tires you want. They are WAY better the the SC pros. Not to say the SC pros arent good tires, but the new Diablos will last you way longer and stick even better. And in terms of tire warmers....what G2G said. They just make your investment last longer. Welcome to the club my friend, the faster you get, the more expensive it gets.

edit: and if you want to try a set, talk to Grouch. He bought a crapload of SC pro take-offs earlier this season that he won't use up this year. He may still be selling a few sets.

Erik
05 GSXR600

Last edited by spyder84; 09-12-2007 at 08:18 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:06 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by black954 View Post
I had the same problem with PP 2ct's. They started sliding out real bad after 1 and a half trackdays. This is why I will not use a dual compound tire on the track. I switched to supercorsa pro's and love them. I get about 3 trackdays out of them, but they still don't slide out until the sides are almost completely worn out. I run warmers to save them from coldtear and to get the most life out of them. I just recently tried a set of Dunlop Qualifiers for an endurance day and have now gotten 3 trackdays out of them and have probably one left. While they aren't as good as the SCpro's, I am very impressed with them and will use them again in the future. After my pilot power 2ct experience, I will not run Michelins again. Pirelli and Dunlop provide a great tire.

You must be running the wrong pressures. The 2ct is the hottest front tire out. Look in the pits of any club race and the one using Michellins are running the 2ct's nothing else
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 PM

Sportbike: 2-1000rr`s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: web

Quote:
You must be running the wrong pressures. The 2ct is the hottest front tire out. Look in the pits of any club race and the one using Michellins are running the 2ct's nothing else

+1 on that I run mainly race weekends and I will go through 2 rears(pr5) to 1 front (prc) and never have a problem with the front going away on me

29-31 pounds in the front and 22 pounds in the rear.

Another thing I noticed from some riders around me at putnam last weekend was letting air out of thier tires after doing a few sessions..after you set you pressures first thing in the morning NEVER let air out throught the day. most trackday riders and racers dont have the knowledge or equipment to make adjustments like that through out the day. The tire manufactures give a cold pressure range knowing that will build through out the day

Nesba/CCS bike #359
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

+1 on all that was said about the benefits of tire warmers with race DOT tires. I destroyed a set of brand new D209s in 1 1/2 days at autobahn due to cold tearing. I've never had the problem until I started running at advanced pace. I used tire warmers on a new set of PR2/PR5 power races for 3 days and the tire wear was even and the cold tearing has disappeared.

Track Junkie #79
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Chili Champ

Sportbike: yamaha r6
Years Riding: I used to ride...
How you found us: NESBA

Send a message via AIM to stive403
I went from a PR4/PR1 michelin combo and switched to a pirelli super corsa pro sc2 set dropped a second and a half my first session out. I don't think that was necessarily due to the tire as it was my first session after not running the track for a month so I had probably just forgotten my slow habits, but either way, really like the tires and they wear excellently.

Fire up some DOT race tires, get a set of warmers, and get a generator. If you don't have the cash now, put it on the christmas list. I know a lot of people are running the summomoto warmers and you can get those for $180 shipped off ebay. I've been nothing but happy with mine and they seem about 300 times better than tire sox for the same price.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrazy View Post
Another thing I noticed from some riders around me at putnam last weekend was letting air out of thier tires after doing a few sessions..after you set you pressures first thing in the morning NEVER let air out throught the day. most trackday riders and racers dont have the knowledge or equipment to make adjustments like that through out the day. The tire manufactures give a cold pressure range knowing that will build through out the day
What equipment? Looking at how a tire is wearing is all you really need or care about. If it's wearing well, you're set. If it's cold tearing, lower your tire pressure. If it's hot tearing, raise the pressure. Having the wrong tire pressure will destroy a tire much quicker then would occur by not running warmers.

Though warmers are the way to go. Find the correct pressure and maintain it.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrazy View Post
after you set you pressures first thing in the morning NEVER let air out throught the day. most trackday riders and racers dont have the knowledge or equipment to make adjustments like that through out the day. The tire manufactures give a cold pressure range knowing that will build through out the day
I guess you always ride at a climate controlled track where the ambient air and track temperatures never change. That must be nice.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
2ct's are all I have run at 5 different tracks and they have been great for me.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrouch View Post
I guess you always ride at a climate controlled track where the ambient air and track temperatures never change. That must be nice.
I never change my pressures throughout the day. The only time I do is if I am having tire problems or it is at lunch time when the tires and rimes are totally cooled off. The rule i have been taught is set them and forget them. You will do my damage than good trying to mess with hot pressures.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

Quote:
I never change my pressures throughout the day. The only time I do is if I am having tire problems or it is at lunch time when the tires and rimes are totally cooled off. The rule i have been taught is set them and forget them. You will do my damage than good trying to mess with hot pressures.
My issue with his post was the "NEVER" part. If the tire is cold tearing or getting greasy, you shouldn't be scared to play with the pressures.

I totally disagree on the hot pressure issue. IMO, setting hot pressures is the most reliable way to get good grip/life from a tire. I start with a decent idea what the cold pressure should be, then run the warmers for an hour till the center of the rear rim reached 100F (a $40 IR temp guagefrom Sears is good for this). Then I adjust pressures to Pirelli's suggested hot pressures. I have yet to lose a tire to cold tear using this method.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Not to complicate the situation but not all manufacturers recomend setting the pressure hot like Pirelli does. Either way Grouch is right, with a little research on the tires your running you should have no problem playing with the pressures.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 PM

Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night

FYI, I didn't have a problem with the front sliding, but the rear. By noon on the second track day with the 2ct's, I was sliding out at almost every turn. So bad that I came in early and had a guy ask me if I was smoking the tire on purpose, and of course I wasn't. I urge people to try the Qualifiers over the PP's. They have totally blown away my expectations.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
I'm currently running Pirelli DC3s. My pace is top of I. I was running 1:20:79 at Putnam this weekend and improving with each day out there. This was day 3 and 4 on my tires and they still had good tread.

The tires are starting to slip out on me more an more coming out of the turns. I'm aggressive on the throttle, but pretty smooth too I think.

What would be a good tire to go to next and why? I'm pretty much riding just track now. Do I need to start looking into a tire warmers also?
I was just searching "DC3s and trackday" in the search feature and found this post fun to bump :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode