2007 NESBA Bumps/Improvement Thread - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

2007 NESBA Bumps/Improvement Thread

Hey folks, I loved Dean's Thanks for the Season thread and I wanted to post up and congratulate everyone on their bumps and/or significant improvements this year, but I KNEW that I would forget someone since there were so many riders make great strides forward in their skills this year.

Post up if you want to share a story or two with us about your bumps and or improvements for the year. What track you got bumped at, etc... I am excited to see how any of you made great improvements this year and what stories you might want to share about that learning process.

Tips on how to improve quickly and get the bump would be great as well!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 AM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
-Started off the year at Putnam, slowest guy in B, ran off the track twice because I thought I was going to fast that my bike wouldn't make the turn

-5th track day at Grattan, I got my bump to I. I was evaluated by Blarney (tom) and it was one of my most enjoyable sessions. I was in the front of B group and running consistent lines. He put me through a couple of situations and the besides being consistent, the biggest thing he was looking for was making sure I didn't ride over my head. Very important. (Notice I said nothing about him evaluating how fast I was)

-12th track day, Putnam. Got bumped to A. I'm running good lines, am able to adapt my line based on traffic and still be safe and run well. This is very important. When you have someone like Mopar coming by and taking your ideal line in dead bear (ass), you have to be able to adjust safely.

Tips I'd say is, listen and try to learn from everyone. CRs are a great source for learning, keep asking for help. Learn from other riders. I sometime get pissed when someone passed me, but I then follow them and try to learn what they are doing better than me.

If you really want to learn quickly, go in there thinking you know nothing. When you start thinking you know more than the CRs and don't listen to what they are telling you, your progress will suffer.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Tips on how to improve...... Leverage the resources! Ask, listen and learn. The CR's rock. I still many times think of CR's as those super talented guys and gals that gave me all the skills I have. To ride with them as my peers now is such a honor. Every now and then I have to look down and see if I have an orange shirt on because it seems to good to be true. (I really do this on the out lap a few times each weekend) It's hard to believe just last year I was the new nervous guy doing his intro day. For them to mold me into the rider I've become in under two years is amazing!

I think the most difficult thing about progressing is balance. Knowing when to push the envelope a little and when to know your limits. It's not something that can't be taught. The only person that knows that limit is the rider. This was my big obstacle this spring.

Whats even more amazing is seeing how fast some of this years new guys have become. It's absolutely incredible! The talent pool from which our members are able to learn from is so deep. I've seen so many things just "click" for people this year and as such they've made great personal strides. We even have members that came out for free days thanks to CLSB, got the bug and have moved all the way to the top in one short season.

I thank everyone that contributed to my progress this season. I'm also thankful for the members that I've been lucky enough to work with. There isn't anything more rewarding then pulling into pit out to talk to someone thats smiling from ear to ear.

I hope all of you can look back on this season with fond memories. I'm really going to enjoy reading this thread as it grows in the coming weeks. Great post Brian!

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Going into this season my goal in the back of my mind was the bump to "I", I did have fun in B being one of the faster guys in that group, but the constant influx of newbs made me nervous as they are often unpredictable. Although I was not expecting it soo soon, that day at Blackhawk I wasn't even looking for the bump. I lined about about 4th back from the front in the session before lunch, right away I passed the 3rd guy as he was off pace, second guy ran off the track, and the guy in first missed a shift or something and I came around him pretty hard and this was all in the first lap. So now I'm suddenly behind Heath, he looks back at me and hits the throttle, I'm like, oh well, here we go, lets see what I can do. We went lap after lap and I was having a blast following him, He had nothing but good things to say afterwards and that made me happy. Next thing I know Wink is telling me next session I was going out to be eval'd. thats when the butterflies hit

Needless to say, next session went great until about 3/4 of the way through it started pouring, at that point I said, oh well, I'm going for it, I'm either gonna crash or survive, either way I'm gonna learn something about my bike or myself

I was still pulling high 1:28's 29's in the rain and it felt pretty good. Heath gave me my sticker later that day.

the rest of the season was a hell of a learning experience. "I" is much faster, but at the same time it's soo much easier to learn as everyone is doing the same thing for the most part. yes I'm now one of the slower "I" guys and I'm fine with that, I got a wife and soon to be child at home. I don't plan on going to A anytime soon if ever. I'm pretty happy where I'm at. I'd like to thank all of the CR's especially Wink, Ron, Tom, Grouch and finally Heath. You guys all taught me sooo much over the season.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Last edited by HDTony; 10-15-2007 at 10:33 AM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
I am going to try and keep this structured and short because I know I can get long-winded on this topic so here it goes:

For me, it was simply putting it "all" together. When you take on a new hobby, you have an objective. To reach that objective, you need to research, learn, adapt and apply your findings to get to your goal. Now that sounds sort of deep, but it is all relative.

Locate brake markers, locate turn in, slide off the seat, knee out, weight on the inside peg at turn in, outside knee locked in, drop inside elbow, head through the turn, outside arm to the tank, hit apex, locate exit point, weight on the outside peg, stand up bike to accelerate, brake - shift - gas, gas - shift - repeat... and all of that not necessarily in that order.

I consider myself a pretty good student. My issue is - with this sport - I put it together in pieces, which made me take longer in the application of it all. This may upset the teacher or instructor; not in the sense of not wanting to deal with you or the topic anymore, but in a sense of repetitive instruction. When I hooked up with a CR, I heard the same three things every time... get your butt off the seat, get your head through the turn and get on the gas. Now imagine hearing this for weeks on end, primarily from the same CR's, and not being able to adapt it. Can you say FRUSTRATED?? It was very frustrating for me to keep saying, "I hear you" or "I know" and not be able to adapt their advice. It actually came to a point mid-season where it was overwhelming and I felt I could do nothing right. This, YOU need to get past - and I did. It just took me longer.

I was not comfortable with the "hanging off". I know I needed to get my backside off the bike. To do all the rest of what I mentioned in the second paragraph, I needed to get these two things imbedded in my mind to "just do it". Once I got the head to the outside, the majority of the positioning followed. The bike did what it was built to do, the tires did their job, and this by no means is meant to sound like I have hit a pinnacle of the sport... I have merely reached one of my objectives of the outright goal.

Moral of the story... Look, listen, ask questions, apply and repeat. Some may be quick learners, some may be slower - like myself. Set YOUR goal and work toward it. Work through the frustating times, because trust me when I tell you; there will come a moment when you pull into the pits after your session, you will have an uncontrollable smile from ear to ear, you are going to walk up to that CR and tell them "Thank You!!! That was the best I felt on the bike ever." Now, repeat what you have learned and work on the next level or objective.

Arriving at one point is the starting point to another.
---John Dewey

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

I had a blast in the limited three track days I did this year. Kudos to all the CR's for suggestions and leading by example (Especially Wink and his crazy over emphasized form going through the carousel at Road America- I half expected him to fall off the bike or get his head caught in his front wheel! )

That said I really enjoyed getting the bump to I at Blackhawk- I was supposed to get towed for eval and missed griding up up front cuz I realized I needed to refuel right before the session started. I gridded up late, went out by myself and just was feeling good, concentrating on smoothness, hitting the lines, etc. as a result I caught up with traffic and was passing in the allowable areas without even trying..........at the end of the session, I saw the CR that was supposed to evaluate me stopped at the end of pit out (Sorry I cant remember who it was) Anyway I pulled up next to him and apologized for getting out late- he said no prob we will do it next session.

Little did I know that Hix was shadowing me the whole session, and I musta done alright, so I got the bump to I. I cant wait until next year, I plan to do more trackdays than my past 3 days a year, and try to improve my smoothness.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Little did I know that Hix was shadowing me the whole session, and I musta done alright, so I got the bump to I.

Like my Mama always told me, "you better behave boy, you never know who is watching".

Major strides in a very short time, great job. Just need more seat time.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Little did I know that Hix was shadowing me the whole session

If I had a dollar for every time Hix snuck up behind me. Watch your six with hix!

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
If I had a dollar for every time Hix snuck up behind me. Watch your six with hix!
Oh the jokes could get really bad now

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Wink, help me out here because you bumped me .

Labor Day weekend at BHF this summer, Saturday was a perfect clear day and I started the morning off in 'B' as it was my first NESBA day, 3rd track day overall. It was a little slow and frustrating toting around in circles, but there were some gaps of quicker riders that were fluid, where I had a rhythm, I felt comfortable at those speeds. I was working mainly with Nichole and Wink that morning, taking advice from both of them, hounding them for pointers. Rather than just going straight to where I was pitting, I'd stop and talk to them right when we got done, this helped a ton.

Went out 2nd session after lunch, lined up in front with Wink, I don't know if he had an agenda, but he pointed to me, told the marshal it was just us two, and we went off. He led two laps, and then followed for about 1.5 laps before we caught up to a guy on a Ninja 2fiddy with a missing license plate bolt and his plate was dangling, I signaled to Wink what I saw, and Wink crept up on the dude, placing his hand on the guy coming out of T5, pretty impressive, and woulda scared the crap outta me .

That was it. Came up after that session, slapped an 'I' sticker on my bike, and said lets go _____ (Fill in the blank ). I would say that I was doing well, it was just a matter of hitting the apex, race lines, good body positioning, fluid and smooth, and I was confident in myself with fear of knowing what can happen with too much throttle/brake. Finesse with the controls, and knowing when to dip into a turn.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Sportbike: bikeless!!!
Years Riding: 19 Years minus 14 years
How you found us: Member

For me - all about condifence

I remember my first track day this year at Barber, going on a road trip with Brian (Wink), Brian (Bfly) and Greg. Spent most of the time quietly watching what a track day entails and listening to all the bull-shit that the guys were dealing out to each other. (Also holding my bladder for dear life until I was about to explode). I also managed to crash on Sunday afternoon after not committing to turn for a corner.

Anyhow, the learning experience for myself was rather frustrating. I really had not ridden a bike for about 14 years and had all these memories of grandure riding my old RGV 250 around the streets, pushing the front and some times sliding both wheels around bends. Well, it took me about 10 track days to get some where near that same feeling. I had a lot of fun on the track, but some days I was frustrated in myself - "Why does this not feel like it use to? Why can't I feel the front end? Why aren't I improving?" - all these thoughts and more.

Apparently my form was good, good lines and predictable. I just needed to go faster. For me, going faster meant having more confidence in myself and my bike.

Then on the first sesion Sunday morning at BHF in Septemeber it all came together. I hopped on my bike and went faster, I could feel front end, the suspension was working and I was passing everyone in "B". It was like going back 14 years and felt great.

Brian Wink gave me the bump to "I" that session and it felt really good to having Brian evaluate me as he provided a ton of advice and encouragement for me throughout the year. He always seems glad to help, gets straight to the facts, (whether you like them or not), and is the happiest crasher that I have met. Thanks mate.

So for me the whole learning experience was about confidence. Confidence in myself, my bike and my tires. I could not have asked for better help from all the wonderful people I have met through out the year.

Speaking of tires, I used one set all season - D208 I put on at Barber. How many heat cycles do you think they have been through?

Glenn
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Although no bump yet, I know I've improved my riding this year despite only 5 track days and no more street bike.

Body Position: More than a couple CR's asked me yesterday if I'd been hanging around with Wink and I think Grouch nicknamed me Mr. Extreme Body Position Check. And yesterday Blarney helped me a lot with adjusting my form a little bit and improving my turn-in.

Racing Line: Melissa commented on my excellent line one session after crashing at Blackhawk, and Smiley followed me around with video Sunday in probably my best session to date in terms of lack of mistakes.

Speed: Still quite lacking, and from watching a few laps that Dean recorded it's very clear just how little lean angle I'm using in some corners. And over-braking into most corners.

So the goal for next year is to mainly just get on the track MORE so I can practice what I know and just keep hitting those turn-in points and riding smooth, the speed will come on it's own.

I think the most important thing I've learned of all from the CR's is the importance of smoothness. Last year Hix gave a really good 'B' meeting speech about this that has stuck with me, and I remember Wink's description of Freddie Spencers control of a motorcycle at speed. Quite often I catch myself thinking about that out on the track and I slow everything down a notch and concentrate on being 'smooth' and 'predictable' again.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:37 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

ough .... I'd hate to give up trade secrets

Seriously, two things :
1) Be comfortable on the bike in order to widen that communication channel between you and the tires. For me it meant , surprisingly , - hanging off. I'd argue that body position is secondary to importance if it were not my limbs that I simply could not figure out where to fold in (ok, I'm 6''4) . Trying to hang off gave me space which allowed for physical comfort and more confidence

2) I was trying to develop perception of speed and ability to judge and set my speed as accurately as possible. That one is the hardest. I think everything else falls from been a mere consequence of having that skill. Perception of speed buys mental comfort that allows our brains to think of everything else - tire traction, form , corner plan, passing plan etc. Some people just have it from the beginning. You see them been bumped up their first track day. For others , like me, this skill takes time to develop. In fact ,if there is such thing as a talent in this sport, this talent is in riders that have the most acute sense of speed.
Ok, enough BS. K. Code preaches science of reference points , eye movement , and corner products as means to harness perception of speed. I think his book is a must read.

CCS 787(ex). 08r6

Last edited by DieselBoy; 10-15-2007 at 04:13 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Nuke and Pave

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, BMW RT
Years Riding: R6 2 years, bikes - longer than you!
How you found us: Wink

Winked bumped me to "I" at Blackhawk at the second track day of the year, and has been helping me all season from time to time. I'm a long way from the next step, but really feel good about improvements made and have a pretty good idea where I want my riding to go next year.

My best advice to anyone seriously wanting to learn how to do this is to basically forget most of what what you already think you know, seek out expert instruction (NESBA CRs, members, Freddie Spencer), spend your money on yourself first; tracktime, schools, good equipment, then on your bike, and most importantly get all the track time you can afford.

I've found there are lots of right answers to questions about how to get better at this and it has been enlightening to hear all the different solutions presented by NESBA's talented group of control riders. I've found there are "specialists" within the NESBA group and after a while you learn who to ask specific questions. (Blarney!)

Thanks to all for such a good time!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
thanks to running in NESBA's A group all year, i learned that even a underpowered pig of an F4i can run with the big boys.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

I went into this season with the mentality that I was going to take my time. After crashing midway through last season, I took a step back to focus on my line, my body position, and my throttle control. I wanted to be smoother and carry as much corner speed as I could and be comfortable. I spent a lot of time trying to match corner speeds or out-brake people into the turns rather than just overpowering them on the straights. I still have to work on being more aggressive and decisive when setting someone up who is close to my skill level.

My bump to Advanced happened at Autobahn Full Course. It was my first time there this year but my confidence level had been building throughout the season. I had caught wind that some other Intermediate riders were going to be evaluated after lunch so I decided to see if I could keep up. Alan Fedderson took us out. I started out 4th, behind the guys wanting the bump. Alan took us around for a hot lap and then waved us ahead. It was weird but I felt like everything slowed down including the guys ahead of me so I passed them and strung together the fastest and smoothest laps that I could. After a few laps, Alan came around me and sent a wake of passes at me as I followed him. When we pitted out I gave him the thumbs up for a fun session. He waved me over and told me I was ready.

I have done 3 NESBA advanced days since then and have had the best time ever riding with very talented and humbling riders. I continue to try and learn from them. My goal is to take small steps to continue to improve while having as much fun as possible.

Track Junkie #79
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM

Nice work this year Nolan, whatever you did mentally paid off. Sorry I missed you guys before you left on Sat. Its always a pleasure having you and Kim around.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Just for the smell of it!

Sportbike: GSXR 1000 06
Years Riding: Since 88'
How you found us: Thanks Odyssesy and Wink

I love riding with all Nesba members any knowledge I have is yours.Seeing your faces after the ride is the best gift ever.

Nesba, Midwest Control Rider
retired CCS #141
retired AMA #151
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 PM

<------- Really missed riding with Heath this season!

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Long term User

Sportbike: 2001 RC51-SP1
Years Riding: whadyasay? eh?
How you found us: redirect from Pr0n site...

Cool Just when I think I know what I'm talking about...

Once, I wrote something, equally long winded, about how great it was to be in I, primarily because you get the CR's attention. I wrote that it would be a bittersweet day to get the A bump.

Well, that bittersweet feeling didn't last long at all, as it turns out. Tony gave me my A sticker after a pretty rocky start at Labor Day BHF, with a double pass double stoppie combo rideoff into the wet grass in T1 in the morning. Taped it all up and just reset my head and rode to move that tire wear bevel a bit further towards the edge of the tire, working the body position, etc. Last session of the day, put in a couple of fun laps with Tony, came in early, and he popped me with the sticker out of the blue.

Sunday morning in A was just fine (actually hard work never slowing down for anyone for 20 minutes) and the 2nd session...wow. Dang. It is very hard to describe just how much sandbagging is going on by the CRs in B and I. Basically just took the top of my head off, all my ideas (and most of my pride) just fell right out. It showed me just how committed these A guys are to getting it right. Whatever limits I thought I was getting close to, well, that's all out the window now.

And A continues to blow my small mind every time now. I followed the A train at Putnam during their warm up lap (I didn't know what was going on), and it was pretty amazing to see 12 guys in front of me all running hard, and well, not getting away from me too fast, though they pretty much all did after 2 or 3 laps. I make 1 to 3 passes in a session now, at most. I'm passed twice as much or more now, and it's better than ever.

An A pass is a pretty amazing thing. You run hard into a corner, at your personal limit, and somebody will come inside you with more lean angle, and more speed. So you just smile a little and try to put yourself right on their tire as hard and long as you can, and you've got the best seat in the class for the best show in the world. Sometimes a guy named Alan on a taped up R6 with the plate still on it will pass clean and close into BHF 7, and then casually back it in to 1 right in front of you, and just blow your mind. Sometimes a rider (...let's say a rumored ex-AMA guy on a Ducati 1098) will run by you outside, riding the sealer strip that defines the edge of the track and the grass, all the way from the bus stop to his turn-in to Dead Bear at Putnam. Sometimes you'll be there in T9 and pushing as hard as you dare, and a guy (say... with "Stymie" on his leathers) will come by you, and choose an even deeper lean angle for T10, and do it with more gas, all at the same time. Sometimes a CR you've seen in I a million times who was never really pushing it, who you thought you might have even "dropped" a few times there, will casually buzz you into T9 with a little wave...maybe you'll keep up long enough to figure how he got the drive out of Dead Bear that did you in at T9, and just maybe you'll have to ask him later because the only place your going to catch him today is in the pits.

The I group is high school, the A group is college. Both are lots of fun, but college is a lot more serious, and costs a hell of lot more. (Freddie Spencer's is grad school - get another loan!) I'm now burning a rear tire per day, so it's time to buy that 600 to bring me to the next level.

It's been a great season, I met some great new friends this year, and it is great personal accomplishment to be acknowledged by NESBA as an A rider. I can't really thank all the many CR's at NESBA enough: Tom, Wink, Tony, Ron, Alan, and all the rest of the orange shirt devils that work as hard as they can to make people better riders, on and off the track. NO chance that I'd be here all by myself. Can't wait to finish it up with a (CCW?) weekend at Gratten and kiss that big old RC51 goodbye, proper-like.

Jim 930
03 R6

Last edited by borgnsr; 10-17-2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: missing sig
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Time to update that avatar Jim!!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
I love riding with all Nesba members any knowledge I have is yours.Seeing your faces after the ride is the best gift ever.
Thanks Heath! Following you in the rain was both scary as hell but some of the most fun I've had in a long time

- Ronald Reagan

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Long term User

CR's: Always with the tips...

Gotta wait for MattG or HD Tony to pull off some more photo magic, and make me look better than I am. Pretty sure HD Tony gets the credit (and my belated "Thanks!") for the photo in my avatar now.

Jim 930
03 R6
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgnsr View Post
Gotta wait for MattG or HD Tony to pull off some more photo magic, and make me look better than I am. Pretty sure HD Tony gets the credit (and my belated "Thanks!") for the photo in my avatar now.

If I dont get another bike in time for the beginning of the season next year I will becoming out and doing Photography all day for you guys.

- Ronald Reagan

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

In the meantime, use this one with out the "I" sticker on it:

image.php.jpg

or now this one:

borgnsr.jpg

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Last edited by Wink; 10-17-2007 at 01:28 PM.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Jim, here's a photo w/ your 'A' Sticker

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Long term User

Thanks, Brian and Jeff!
<--- I'm stylin' with the new avatar!

Jim 930
03 R6
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
AKA..... Dan

Sportbike: '06 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Just a nOob
How you found us: Google...duh

Send a message via Yahoo to ChgoRRGuy
What I learned from my 2007 NESBA season.....

1. Get higher limits on credit cards. (citibank)
2. Always check your gas after each session. (doh!)
3. Stick with the CR's - They are awesome! (thanks Blarney & Wink)
4. Get a buddy in your group. (djamps)

I had a great season, and I can't wait till next spring. Thanks to everyone and see you next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
First rule of DT Krew is never talk about DT Krew
NESBA #79
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 PM

I wanted to add my 2 cents about a great (but to short) season with NESBA. I'm in the Iowa so only rode Mid-Central events this year but intend to get to BHF, RA and other Mid-West tracks next year. I especially wanted to thank all the Mid-west CRs and riders who came out to support the Mid-Central events.

I started doing an intro day HPT in June. I picked NESBA by chance since the schedule just worked out that way. Best luck I've had in years. I can't find the words to express what a great organization this is. Tom, Carol, Wink ,etc were all great and I found out that I shouldn't have been so worried about being away from the track for 25 year. I sat out the rest of Sat and watched everyone else ride so I could study the track and everyones form. I wasn't sure my 54 year old out of shape body could take 2 days the first time out. Stayed for Sunday and had a blast. I was surprised how quickly it came back to me. Finding lines and form is so much easier with the CRs towing you around than doing it on your own.

Went to Hallet on the spur of the moment since I didn't think I could wait another 5 weeks until MAM. Very low track density and I got a lot of CR time with Wink and others. The somewhat bumpy track made me feel at home. In the 70's my "home" track at been MAR near Wentsville, Missouri which was bumpy and hilly like Hallet. When I went to the Beginner's meeting Sunday Wink told me I could ride "I", I was truly shocked. I had expected to be the slow, old guy for ever and was only out to relive some of the memories I had from 25-30 years back. I was concerned about getting less CR time in I and going from having fun catching and passing most of the other B riders to being to being the slow guy in I so I actually put off the bump until noon. I was certainly wrong about getting less CR time. All the CRs I've ridden with have been great. Amazing riders and teachers. I rode MAM and Iowa speedway (love having such a fun track 25 minutes from home) to finish out my year.

The main advice I would have is to not worry about getting the bump or lap times but just take advantage of everything you can learn from the CRs and concentrate on your riding skills. The bump and lower lap times will come when you are ready. I learned so much in my 7 days on the track this year I can't believe it. When I started racing in 1973 there were no track days at all. They just organized a race and who ever showed up raced. No instructions and all kinds of skill levels on the track at the same time.

Can't wait until next year. The thread about the Freddie Spence school is certainly tempting.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Just for the smell of it!

Sportbike: GSXR 1000 06
Years Riding: Since 88'
How you found us: Thanks Odyssesy and Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Thanks Heath! Following you in the rain was both scary as hell but some of the most fun I've had in a long time
Yeah it was scary I had slicks on!

Nesba, Midwest Control Rider
retired CCS #141
retired AMA #151

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode