Question concerning NESBA Guide lines - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Question concerning NESBA Guide lines

OK guys I wanted to get out to one of the events this years and see what it was like but time and Moving and work did not allow this.

I did talk with wink alittle and have decided nexted year i wanna try it out.

After reading a the requirements for the basic level why is it an option for the following items not required to be secured for the basic and interm groups?

The oil drain and fill plug, oil filter,coolant? doesnt this make it a safety issue?

What would you reccomend for prepping the bike for the track. I have the winter to do these things might as well start now.
Any advice it greatly from the bike to the gear pretty much any tips that would help make life easier

Thanks

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
check winks site apexjunkie.com he has a whole write up on this topic

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

I have wondered this myself, only thing I could come up with was that they may have some crash history in these groups and realized either:

A. riders at this level typically crash after they go off the track.

or

B. riders at this level arent carrying enough pace to break those parts when they fall.

Anyone in the know?

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Former Chicagoian

Sportbike: 950 Super Enduro / FZ6 / 640 ADV
Years Riding: Never enough!
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
I have wondered this myself, only thing I could come up with was that they may have some crash history in these groups and realized either:

A. riders at this level typically crash after they go off the track.

or

B. riders at this level arent carrying enough pace to break those parts when they fall.

Anyone in the know?
I think vibration has a lot to do with it which would likely be a problem at any level.

Aside from pace and crashing off the track, I think scaring new people away from the organization, and/or track days in general, is a big part of it.

+1 on apexjunkie.com

A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
I think vibration has a lot to do with it which would likely be a problem at any level.

Aside from pace and crashing off the track, I think scaring new people away from the organization, and/or track days in general, is a big part of it.

+1 on apexjunkie.com
I read on winks site for awhile, only found the requirements for the safety wiring in the advanced- not the actual "why" the B and I groups arent required.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Still doesnt seem logical to allow simple thing to go just because you fear scarying someone off. Whats scarier is the thought there are bikes out there without these safety items.

I dont think the answer has been truely answered yet

Same here just read everything on his site still doesnt answer why

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Folks who are in advanced more than likely do a lot more maitenance on their bikes, safety wire is a guarentee that they tightened bolts. It's a visual reminder that something is NOT going to be loose.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Folks who are in advanced more than likely do a lot more maitenance on their bikes, safety wire is a guarentee that they tightened bolts. It's a visual reminder that something is NOT going to be loose.
Logical, but wouldnt you want that same visual from someone who is new to the track, or may be new to maintenance on a bike too?

On the record, I think the safety wire and water for coolant should be for all groups..................as well as safety wire for the front and rear rotors which must be removed to remove the wheels........Discuss...........

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes

I've started using a dab of silicone on the many drain bolts on my 250f. Peace of mind is the only reason.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Former Chicagoian

I'm sure Wink and Hix and those guys will chime in sooner or later with a definitive answer. Alternatively, you could post up on the NESBA board or do a search on the NESBA board and probably get your answer.

I still think it has a lot to do with getting new people on the track...not many people want to punch holes in their new GSXR1K or 1098 unless they are already addicted.

It's a calculated risk though...it's not like they just say "fuck it, B group will be more dangerous".

A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

If you want to do you it going to do it no matter the requirements

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I think by statistics, Intermediate has the most crashes. You get real comfortable with a knee on the deck and you push harder trying to be faster without really being ready for it. I speak from personal experience, others may be different, but i've always noticed a lot more crashes in I.

Also, in advanced the chances that you are running a street bike are slim, your bike will already be a track whore. B and I guys still can easily run street bikes and street tires at that pace. Nobody wants to have to safety wire their street bike.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
On the record, I think the safety wire and water for coolant should be for all groups..................as well as safety wire for the front and rear rotors which must be removed to remove the wheels........Discuss...........
Yes , and make sure you replace fork oil with water wetter. I heard that helps suspension too

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
I'm sure Wink and Hix and those guys will chime in sooner or later with a definitive answer.....

I still think it has a lot to do with getting new people on the track...not many people want to punch holes in their new GSXR1K or 1098 unless they are already addicted.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

The reason that it is not REQUIRED is to make getting out on the track easier for first timers. However, it IS recommended for ALL riders who come to the track more than a couple of times.

We have helped quite a few guys wire their bikes up at the track, and even helped them do it at the Tech Days. SO... if you have a chance, do it all over the winter (EXCEPT THE COOLANT!!)

Given most "A" riders and most CRs, I would assume that we all wish that EVERYONE was wired for the benefit of everyone else. We had a rider last year dump oil due to a loose drain plug, and it cost Hix over a thousand to fix the damage from his bike due to someone else not being wired.

Just food for thought.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Hmm safety over getting people on the track sounds ass backwards. I dont see the complication getting the few things wired up. Thanks to all that put up their answers thank you

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 11:05 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2medic View Post
Hmm safety over getting people on the track sounds ass backwards. I dont see the complication getting the few things wired up. Thanks to all that put up their answers thank you
I don't think it's backwards when many of the first-timers are out there on brand-new 600RRs and R1s which barely have the hand grips worn, much-less bolts falling off the bike. It's us guys with 5 year-old dedicated track-bikes that only go zoom on weekends and get taken apart more than riden who need to have stuff all wired up

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

The way I see it is this. If I were in charge I would want to keep the Same guys coming since they are in fact all ready in and are the main source of income. Some one that is new is not revenue (free for the first 40 mins) thus his one time could end that of 3,4, or more possible regulars and the potential regulars (newbies) by causing an accident that doesnt allow those people to return.

Tho I am not in charge and have to go with the flow just seems backwards.

I on one hand will follow the recommened safety requirements. Dont think I would be able to sleep knowing I skipped those recommendations and cause a dangerous situation for other riders.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The way I see it is this. If I were in charge I would want to keep the Same guys coming since they are in fact all ready in and are the main source of income. Some one that is new is not revenue (free for the first 40 mins) thus his one time could end that of 3,4, or more possible regulars and the potential regulars (newbies) by causing an accident that doesnt allow those people to return.

I on one hand will follow the recommened safety requirements. Dont think I would be able to sleep knowing I skipped those recommendations and cause a dangerous situation for other riders.

From the NESBA website:

"The Northeast Sportbike Association (NESBA) is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization, formed in 1996 by sportbike enthusiasts and former racers who understand and appreciate the difference between riding fast and riding well.

Our purpose is to get sportbikers on the track where they can ride to their fullest potential without the limitations, distractions, and hazards of the street. We operate on the premise, "Ride Fast, Ride Safe". We believe riders can and should do both in a structured environment, free from the free-for-all mentality of the street or the dogfight mentality of racing."

The fact is that many trackday organizations were formed with the specific intention of getting people off of the streets. Free Intro sessions, minimal requirements to get on the track, etc, etc. all to that end. Heck, it wasn't that long ago when you could wear 2 pair of jeans in intro. Anything that knowingly lessens the possibility of getting new people out there (in my opinion) would be the wrong thing to do.

Come out to a NESBA day and you will be convinced that safety IS top priority.

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 08:23 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
The way I see it is this. If I were in charge I would want to keep the Same guys coming since they are in fact all ready in and are the main source of income.
For every new couple riders that I see on the track in spring I also see a 'veteren' selling thier track bike in fall because they are getting married, having kids, moving, getting a new job, got hurt and miaybe want to take a year off, plan to dedicate the next year to drinking, insert reason here, etc.

I personally think it's not about income, it's about getting riders off the streets and into a safer environment to learn to ride these silly bikes in the way they were designed.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 AM

The chances of the plug vibrating out are pretty low if you're not on the track a lot I would assume.

I'm assuming Ron Hix is in favor of a mandatory safety wired plug after he wiped out in the spot where I lost mine last year at black hawk, hahaha. Still sorry about that Ron!!!
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Former Chicagoian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc_rr View Post
Come out to a NESBA day and you will be convinced that safety IS top priority.
+1

/thread

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season

Quote:

I think that if it makes you feel better to safetywire your bike for Beg/Int, by all means go ahead. The guidelines for trackdays are set based on the experiences of hundreds of riders. Nesba undoubtedly takes everyone's safety into consideration when making up the rules. You should be more concerned about how you are going to ride out there and how you are going to prepare yourself for any unexpected situation. Most crashes and off track excursions are due to rider error in braking, acceleration, and body position. Don't get yourself too worked up about the things that you can't control. There is enough distraction/concentration going on out there to keep you busy. Focus on your bike control skills, the race line, and your willingness to learn. I promise that you will have more fun than you ever expected.

Track Junkie #79
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
I safety wired my bike when I bought it even though I didn't really have intentions of doing track days at that point. It's just something good to do, and now when you are getting it ready for winter is a great time to do it.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

I started out this season in the Southeast Region. I came back for Wink's tech day and was walking through his trailer. I saw oil on the floor and thought, hmmm someones got an issue. Wait! My bike was sitting there! I went over and my belly pan was full of oil. I grabbed the oil filter and spun it off easily with my hand! A few more laps down at VIR and I'd have been on my head!

I immediately safety wired my plug and got K&N filters that have a spot for wiring them built in.

It can happen to you!

Hmmmm...... Would you guys pay $20 for an easy solution to secure your oil drain plug?

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
why pay $20 when you can drill it for free. it's easy enough.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

But your someone that would drill it. Some street riders look at drilled bolts and freak out. IT'S A TRACK BIKE.... OH NO!

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Unregister User

Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!

When I am trying to get people out to the track to try it I always here, Don't I have to safety wire my bike? Don't I have to change out my coolant? Like these are the things that are a big deal keeping them from going.

I still however recommend at least these two things to be done. I think nesba is trying to make it as easy as possible for people to get out there and be safe. I think that the biggest factor for people not trying it is not wanting to head out to the track by themselves. Nesba as an organization can not do much about this but the members/CRs do a great job of this being a big family welcoming people with open arms and always helping others out.

Nesba #74 I
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Bump to make threads appear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode