Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

First time back to Blackhawk for the season and I had fun. On Saturday I rode around with Drama and got some pointers from David Kim. The heat and 2 hours sleep wore me out quick. A huge storm rolled in around 3:30 and had everyone scrambling for cover. Sunday was a wash for most people since the skies opened up during the first session and then again around 11:00. Those who stuck it out had combined open sessions from about 1:30-5pm. The race line was dry by 3pm. I never unloaded my bike on Sunday because I didn't want to break-in a new rear slick under the conditions but I was really tempted around 3:30 when it was dry. I was Kim's pit crew since she rode all the open sessions and had fun watching her show people how important smoothness is on a wet track.

Track Junkie #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
My first trackday on saturday. I only did the intro so I had two sessions to work with but I had a blast. Need to work on my braking reference points because, well I had none lol... I was lapping about 1:35 which I am very happy about for my first time out, can't wait todo it again. I was surprisingly tired after even only two sessions, need more sleep before i go out next time. Special thanks go ou to fullthrottlezx for letting me pit with him and his buddies, you guys all rock.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

That's all

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post

That's all
Saw your bike saturday, you totally should have been there saturday not sunday
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

First time back at BHF this year and had a great weekend!

Saturday threatened to rain a few times, but stayed dry and warm until the late afternoon. I was getting ready for my 4th session of the afternoon when the skies opened up something fierce! I happened to be outside for about 10 seconds and got completely soaked. Ah, well. It was an adventure

I came better prepared for rain on Sunday - brought dry clothes and we didn't completely unpack the truck. We made it through the riders meeting and then the rain started. I did one short session on the wet track before it was closed down due to sideways rain, thunder, and lightning.

We decided to stick around and wait out the rain, since we had driven all the way and had nothing else planned for the day. I enjoyed some BHF chili cheese fries and watched the storms. Around noonish things started to look a bit clearer and Fred declared green track with open format. Hooray!!

After watching a couple of the guys splash around for 45 minutes I decided to head out and see what my DCIIIs would do. Nolan aired them down a bit for me, and off I went! At this point it was just a handful of bikes out riding around. Definitely good practice for smoothness, cause the bike let me know if I did anything abrupt.

With the open format I definitely got a full days worth of riding in the afternoon. Thanks Nolan for being my pit crew all afternoon! And thanks to everyone else for the fun weekend - NESBA's a great group to ride with!

Last edited by Kim; 06-09-2008 at 06:44 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post

That's all
????????????
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine

i was there, right across from turn 1 racing (marshall)
i had a blast. wish i would of ran into someone from
here. black gixxer #418 black a* siut with a blue shark
helmet, anyone see me. (b group)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 AM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
????????????
She's upset because she didn't get to ride because of the rain.

overall it was a great fun weekend. Had a blast hanging out with everyone. I'm excited for Road America Wed and thurs!

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
I actually liked riding on a wet track at ACC, you are forced to work on body position and smoothness everywhere; it's good practice.

I was wondering how the weather was for you guys; I was caught out in the middle of some forest preserve, hiding under some trees yesterday when the first storm hit.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 AM
I miss mopar

First day we basically got a whole day of riding. Then a typhoon came through soaking everyone and destroying canopies. Rained all night long and then until about 2. I heard people got some riding in sunday, but i took off around 10am. i'm not riding that crap on slicks.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Must... brake... later...

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha R6 in Race Trim
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: member

I guess I didn't miss much on Sunday. I only signed up for Saturday, and it was my first time back at BHF for the season. I worked with Marshall from Turn One on my suspension setup for most of the day. He helped me fine tune the suspension since it just wasn't working right after a long off season. We got it in the ballpark, but I'm still having some trouble finishing the turns and getting the power to the ground. We did find amazing stability and feel when the bike was leaned over in long corners like turn 3 & 5. Lap times weren't amazing but consistent so I can't complain for the 2nd time out this season.

It was good seeing Nolan, Kim, jkrueger and Steve out at the track. Nolan, sorry you didn't get a chance to work on the things we talked about on Sunday with a fresh rear tire. Actually after working with you on the late turn in, it made me think about my own riding and how I, too need to be doing more of that to get better drives.

Didn't recognize too many of the CR faces since most of the regulars were at Heartland, but it was good seeing firecat again.

Looking forward to seeing all of you at Road America on Wed.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

Quote:
I think I was more upset that I didn't get to sleep in Drama's tent

Yeah as Kim said right before beginners was suppose to go out they called everyone in and some nice rain hit.....pretty much kept raining till 11 or so so that's when we decided to pack up and head home. By that time the puddles were huge

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:50 AM

Saturday was this shit! Up until about 4 pm when the storm of the century hit. Everyone and their five brothers were running to catch canopies. the 12x12 broke first due to improper tiedown techniques. My 10x10 almost made it to the end, but as soon as the crazy storm started I jumped into my SUV and figured I'd wait it out, up until I noticed my 10x10 was starting to pull a wizard of oz move on me. One of the guys in full leather is standing out there hanging onto it while we all ran out there to get the thing away from the bike underneath. no damage done other than a bent pole which we just pitched the canopy frame and I bought a new one last night. lesson learned. In the event of a storm, get the canopy roof off immediately!

Last session was my best as me and my buddy were back and forth passing each other in B group. Got a lot better in certain parts and had a blast. Seemed a lot of people were running off the track a lot on Saturday, but nothing serious I don't think. The ambulance was out once on Saturday early did anyone hear if that person was ok? I hope so.

Wish I wouldn't have signed up for Sunday. Woke up at 6 am. pleaded to have them cancel the day, then cut our losses and packed up the trailer and split. Sorry everyone that only signed up for Sunday. That was a big mess.

I have a thread also started with pics attached of I and A groups on Saturday.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 AM

Sportbike: GSXR 750
Years Riding: 28 years
How you found us: Cruising the 'net

Sunday actually rocked, if you waited out the rain. It turned really nice and there were two and a half hours of open track. Unfortunately, most of the riders had left before it really turned nice. Those who stayed enjoyed a ton of low traffic open track time. I emptied almost 3 tanks of gas, and have never been so exhausted from a track day.

Afterward, my friend and I stopped for a sit down dinner. It started pounding rain like I have never seen. I drove home to Appleton, 150 miles, in super hard torrential rain. I could barely see where I was going.

It was good so see everyone. Fun times!

Linsay
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Sounds like we left too soon on Sunday! eh oh well I guess I was tired anyways and half of our shit was soaked and canopy was broken so we would have had to hide in the trailer all morning.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM
urban outdoorsmen

Sportbike: 2006 GsxR 600 2006 Husky 610sm
Years Riding: 4-5

Send a message via AIM to nureyedr
Definitely a good time Saturday, wish I would have stayed around on Sunday, oh well. By mid-day Saturday there were no congestion problems at all in B group, at least it didn't seem like I was causing any!

Gotta give props to the CR's as always

-Wally
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 AM

Sportbike: Track: 08 GSXR 1000; 08 GSXR 1000; 2005 R6 Dirt: 08 CRF 250 06 KLX 110
Years Riding: 15 years
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikdivad View Post
it was good seeing firecat again.

Looking forward to seeing all of you at Road America on Wed.
Good seeing you too...see ya at RA.

WWW.TRACKDAYSTORE.COM The only online store where you earn free track time when you make a purchase
WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 AM

Sportbike: '08 Honda CBR1000rr
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: From a friend

mikdivad

Hey David,

If you're going to Road America, you should let us do the full Sag setting and Suspension set up we discussed but you opted not to do. As I mentioned at Blackhawk, there's only so much I can do for you without actually seeing your bike, measuring everything, and pushing on it.

My boys told me you were rolling pretty good out there, it might be worth the money to go ahead and let me and my guys over at Turn One do the full treatment to your bike and see if we can finish dialing it in for you.

Just a thought. Hope to see you at Road A.

Marshall (Turn One Racing)
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 AM

^^^^^+1 on Turn One Racing Joe had my bike the week prior and did a front fork refresh with stiffer springs and a baseline setup. Bike felt awesome Saturday very planted an much easier to handle on the brakes. They even delivered the bike to the track for me. Great group of people.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Must... brake... later...

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha R6 in Race Trim
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: member

You read my mind, Marshall. I had every intention of having Turn One setup my suspension at Road America. How much do you guys charge?

I'd like to get a session in and bring it to you right away to give you feedback on what the bike is doing. Hopefully I won't have to miss a session, but I don't want to rush you guys. Thanks again for all your help at BHF.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 AM

Sportbike: '08 Honda CBR1000rr
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: From a friend

Thanks for the props!

No worries, we've got a couple of folks already lined up for Wed morning, but I'm sure we can work you in. Tom, Joe and I are going to start scheduling people by the hour so we don't have to turn anyone away.

I'll check with Tom and Joe to see what availability is like right now, it's $45 for the time being, and that includes a two page report for your records of all the measurements and settings, plus we fine tune through the event per your feedback.

Looking forward to helping you get dialed in at one of my favorite tracks, Road America
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Sportbike: Track: 08 GSXR 1000; 08 GSXR 1000; 2005 R6 Dirt: 08 CRF 250 06 KLX 110

Marshall,

I would like to make an appointment for first thing in the morning tomorrow for this fine fine service you stellar gentleman offer.

Sincerely,
Suspension needs sorting out

WWW.TRACKDAYSTORE.COM The only online store where you earn free track time when you make a purchase
WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
I miss mopar

^ ass kisser

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Registered Loser

Sportbike: 06 gsxr 1k
Years Riding: best yrs of my life
How you found us: i forgot

My poor brain...

Man i crashed hard on saturday.

I was pretty distracted throughout the day, and just couldnt get my focus where it needed to be.

I entered the carousel a bit too hot, got er leaned over, then noticed that unsettling feeling where yer off the bike, knee on the deck, and you feel the inside of your knee touching the bodywork.

I widened out my line to get some more room between me and the ground.
Unfourtunately, the ouside 2 feet of the track had very little grip (thats my excuse anyways) i lowsided.

No big deal.

However, because i crashed way off the race line, i was still sort of on the bike when we both traveled into the grass.
The peg or something got caught, flipped and catapulted me into the air.

Everything happened so fast, but i do remember the horrible noise of grinding parts and the motor spinning up, then the eerie silence when i was flying.

I landed on the back of my head really fuckin hard. bounced, then slid for a bit.

I layed there for a minute, shaking from the adrenalin, thankful to be concious, yet concerned about what kinda shape i was in.

I managed to stand. This was good. Gave the cornerworker a thumbs up and picked up my bike and pushed it out of the impact zone.

After the session, a cornerworker came by with the crash cart. I really did not want to put it on there. The clip on was broke off, so there was no riding it. But i could see the pits and wanted to just push it over there.

My pleas went unanswered. It was kinda like in the Holy Graile when they were pickin up the dead people and the old dude was saying, "I dont want to go on the cart!!"

At the time i refused medical treatment, but later i got checked out cuz my head was hurting bad and i was a bit worried i may have injured my brain.

Turns out its ok.

Well, as good as it ever was...

Kim gave me some drugs and i felt better. The turn one team helped me put the bike back together and i got to ride on sunday.

I was riding with Joe when i crashed and he was shocked to see me up and around. I got real lucky.

All things considered, It was a good weekend. :

Last edited by Otis; 06-10-2008 at 11:48 AM.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

you were lucky. there was a simular incident last year where a person lowsided at the edge of the track. bike caught the grass and flipped the rider into her head. I think she is "ok" now.

for lowsides, you should plan for extra track surface to slide on . That is normally the case anyway. however , I believe if you early apex (too much ) the bike will end up at mximum lean at the edge of the track - neither good from safety perspective nor it helps the laptimes.

glad your ok though.

CCS 787(ex). 08r6

Last edited by DieselBoy; 06-10-2008 at 12:04 PM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered Loser

Sportbike: 06 gsxr 1k
Years Riding: best yrs of my life
How you found us: i forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoy View Post
you were lucky. there was a simular incident last year where a person lowsided at the edge of the track. bike caught the grass and flipped the rider into her head. I think she is "ok" now.

for lowsides, you should plan for extra track surface to slide on . That is normally the case anyway. however , I believe if you early apex (too much ) the bike will end up at mximum lean at the edge of the track - neither good from safety perspective nor it helps the laptimes.

glad your ok though.
In hindsight, i shoulda traibraked harder and held the line.
I had good rubber, odds are it woulda stuck.
If not, i woulda had more time sliding on the track to reduce speed and hopefully separate myself from the bike.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
^ ass kisser
if it gets my suspension sorted out quicker....you are correct!

WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Great times except all the damn rain

Nice to meet other riders and CR's and hope to see ya at Putnam this weekend

Thanks Liquid for the use of the timer. My best for 2 sessions with traffic was 133's. Which I know can get better if I didn't have to wait. Maybe next time.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Addicted

I'm dyin waiting for the pictures to be posted! I guess the photographer's basement flooded so he's been a little pre-occupied. I understand, and don't mind waiting a little longer but damn,i check the site like every hour lol.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

some more action
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drama.jpg (192.2 KB, 25 views)

CCS 787(ex). 08r6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode