Bar pressure to initiate turn in - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Nuke and Pave

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, BMW RT
Years Riding: R6 2 years, bikes - longer than you!
How you found us: Wink

Bar pressure to initiate turn in

I've been thinking a lot about my track riding this winter, looking for ways to improve and keep thinking about how much bar pressure other riders use to start or maintain their turn in and lean angle. I tend to use very little actual bar pressure, depending instead upon body steer and peg pressure to make the bike turn in.

So what is your technique? I'm wanting to experiment with more bar pressure this season to get the bike over and turned in quicker and want to hear some opinions.

NESBA #327, Advanced Class
06 Yamaha R6, 04 BMW RT, 72 Honda CB500
"All dogs go to Heaven."
"Being middle of the road started to bore me, so I headed for the ditch."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
give the inside clip-on a firm shove. Thats how I roll.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:36 PM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
give the inside clip-on a firm shove. Thats how I roll.
+1, but I also give the outside clip-on a slight pull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVRC51 View Post
+1, but I also give the outside clip-on a slight pull.
my outside hand is usually flipping the camera guy the bird.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Very little deliberate pressure on the bars.... it's more inside foot and outside knee.

Some counter-steering happens as a result of your leaning on the inside / pulling on the outside bars..... but I keep my grip really really loose.

Tom

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

I'm with you. Body steer and peg pressure. I lower my head to the inside of the turn which may inadvertently make me put more pressure on the inside clip on but I don't consciously push on it. I used to when I first started out but after lowsiding a few times, I try to stay as light on the bars as possible.

Track Junkie #79
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:05 PM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

I also use my body but for initial turn in you can't beat finessing the bars.

Here's a book I would suggest for anyone interested. He does a good job of explaining these techniques, Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVRC51 View Post
I also use my body but for initial turn in you can't beat finessing the bars.

Here's a book i woul suggest for anyone interested. He does a good job of explaining these techniques, Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch.
+1, great book.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 PM
El Burrito Volador

Sportbike: 05 GSXR600 / 04 GSXR600
Years Riding: I'm a rookie.
How you found us: NESBA

This has been discussed and debated quite a bit and I think everyone has their own thought on this. In my experience, you shouldn't think about applying pressure to the bars, instead think of it as applying inputs to the bike as a whole as you'll need to use your whole body to get the bike to where it needs to be depending on where you are in the corner -- entry, mid-corner, or exit.

I’ve noticed that most riders understand what it takes to setup for a corner and get the bike to the apex and back out again. Yet, I think they get stuck here because increasing the pace at this point requires more advanced techniques. As you move your braking point closer and closer to the apex, you will find that getting the bike to turn will rely less on a what may feel like one input, and rely more on EVERYTHING - and by everything, I mean body position, pressure on controls (on rearsets or clip-ons), bike geometry (controlled with front brake), speed, entry line, mid-corner line, exit line, etc, etc, etc. The beautiful thing is that with practice, most of the inputs needed become natural and even as situations change for a specific corner, you naturally adjust to ensure that your corner exit is optimal for speed and drive. This is a hard concept to encapsulate in a few sentences, but I hope it make some sense.

Erik
05 GSXR600

Last edited by spyder84; 03-10-2009 at 05:16 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Sportbike: FZR400
Years Riding: 20+ minutes
How you found us: Sportbiketracktime.com

It the grand scheme of things, its all about how you get to the turn in point.
The quicker you can turn the bike in, the faster you can take the corner.

With that stated...
My method.

Its all about how I get to my turn in point.
Before I even sit up, I have moved my lower body into place.
This effectively has you Counter-Counter steering. You are trying to keep the bike going straight.
As I sit up, I am braking, shifting and setting my upper body to the turn.
At my turn-in point, I release the bar pressure and let the bike fall into the turn.
Using this method only works for turns, where you are braking.
It only works for those who can down-shift and brake while hanging off the bike.

For the other turns like the banking of Daytona or the back stretch for Road America, you apply as much pressure as needed to turn the bike.

XIII

CCS Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus

Facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies STT F-MC
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Failed rehab

interesting read

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...g/1277436.html

Generally speaking, I think Code is an old hippy that did far too many drugs in his younger days. (If you've read his books, ya know what I mean.)
But I think his point on body-steering is correct.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

please do search on the track forum as there is tons of info like this aswell as come to one of my classes that i do.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Nuke and Pave

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, BMW RT
Years Riding: R6 2 years, bikes - longer than you!
How you found us: Wink

Tried the search with no luck.....got a lot of hits but no specific information. Anyways, I really wanted to hear from some of the folks who did take the time and courtesy to respond. Thanks Erik, Rob, Blarney, X, Nolan and the rest.

Your riding lessons sound like a lot of fun though. If I don't have a track day scheduled when you decide to put it on I'll try and bring my street bike and put it through the paces.

NESBA #327, Advanced Class
06 Yamaha R6, 04 BMW RT, 72 Honda CB500
"All dogs go to Heaven."
"Being middle of the road started to bore me, so I headed for the ditch."
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmeigs View Post
Tried the search with no luck.....got a lot of hits but no specific information. Anyways, I really wanted to hear from some of the folks who did take the time and courtesy to respond. Thanks Erik, Rob, Blarney, X, Nolan and the rest.

Your riding lessons sound like a lot of fun though. If I don't have a track day scheduled when you decide to put it on I'll try and bring my street bike and put it through the paces.
Glad to help. Far be it from me to miss an opportunity to add my 2 cents.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder84 View Post
This has been discussed and debated quite a bit and I think everyone has their own thought on this. In my experience, you shouldn't think about applying pressure to the bars, instead think of it as applying inputs to the bike as a whole as you'll need to use your whole body to get the bike to where it needs to be depending on where you are in the corner -- entry, mid-corner, or exit.

I’ve noticed that most riders understand what it takes to setup for a corner and get the bike to the apex and back out again. Yet, I think they get stuck here because increasing the pace at this point requires more advanced techniques. As you move your braking point closer and closer to the apex, you will find that getting the bike to turn will rely less on a what may feel like one input, and rely more on EVERYTHING - and by everything, I mean body position, pressure on controls (on rearsets or clip-ons), bike geometry (controlled with front brake), speed, entry line, mid-corner line, exit line, etc, etc, etc. The beautiful thing is that with practice, most of the inputs needed become natural and even as situations change for a specific corner, you naturally adjust to ensure that your corner exit is optimal for speed and drive. This is a hard concept to encapsulate in a few sentences, but I hope it make some sense.

Not all opinions are created equal, ESPECIALLY on the internet. Listen and watch what the really fast guys do and say. Erik is one of those guys. He is an outstanding rider with a very natural feel and talent for the bike. What he is saying is DEAD NUTS ON the money.

Especially this part, "As you move your braking point closer and closer to the apex, you will find that getting the bike to turn will rely less on a what may feel like one input, and rely more on EVERYTHING"

Almost any technique will work at a slower pace because today's bikes and tires are that good. But to really get the bike to work at race pace, you have to be doing A LOT of things right. That means using your WHOLE BODY, at just the RIGHT TIME, in just the RIGHT AMOUNT.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975

Last edited by ronhix; 03-10-2009 at 09:27 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

All factors affect the turn in. Everyone has already covered them above, but I'll just hop in with the guys recommending light on bars.

For what it is worth, ever see my inside hand in a left corner? Those of you that have ridden with me know that it isn't even on the bar... yet the bike turns quite well for me.

At a certain point, pushing hard on the inside bar, or yanking on the outside bar could cause a lowside.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM
hockey dominates all

Sportbike: black Ninja 500
Years Riding: since May 06
How you found us: yahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
interesting read

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...g/1277436.html

Generally speaking, I think Code is an old hippy that did far too many drugs in his younger days. (If you've read his books, ya know what I mean.)
But I think his point on body-steering is correct.
ahhhh! I spent 20 minutes looking for that. I knew there was a video so I went to youtube and searched for everything I could think of: no bar turning motorcycle, body steering motorcycle, turn a motorcycle with your body...

glad someone got around to posting it.

<---- Matt - Xbox Live: MaskedMan13

four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul

it doesn't matter what you ride, it only matters that you ride...
...unless it's a Kawi, then I'll be your friend
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja 13 View Post
ahhhh! I spent 20 minutes looking for that. I knew there was a video so I went to youtube and searched for everything I could think of: no bar turning motorcycle, body steering motorcycle, turn a motorcycle with your body...

glad someone got around to posting it.
A good resource, methinks.

I'd like to clarify my point a bit.

If you check out the videos, you can see that body steering does only a very little bit in making the motorcycle lean. Whether people are conscious of it or not, the primary input to get the bike turned is via the clip-ons.

If you're not getting the bike over fast enough, its because you didn't put enough input into the clipons, either by pushing or pulling.

Thats NOT to say it should be a jerk or yank as some are characterizing it. Its NOT. Its a smooth but deliberate motion. Once you get it over, then you should absolutely be light on the bars. By the time I hit the apex there's barely any pressure at all.
Thats not to say body steering is useless, either. You can see that body steering on the no BS bike does cause some direction change.You'll also notice that it took some very abrupt and major body shift to get a very small change in direction. But body steering isn't, in and of itself, going to get you turned any faster.
There are piles of and piles of pointy-headed physics white papers that corroborate what the No BS bike demonstrates, and what non-naturals like myself have come to realize.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
All factors affect the turn in. Everyone has already covered them above, but I'll just hop in with the guys recommending light on bars.

For what it is worth, ever see my inside hand in a left corner? Those of you that have ridden with me know that it isn't even on the bar... yet the bike turns quite well for me.

At a certain point, pushing hard on the inside bar, or yanking on the outside bar could cause a lowside.

So as I post and read. I am again reminded how bad my bike is setup for me. Darn all you! I hate you for reminding me. But hey, if you take away enough trail, you can make anything turn quickly Raise the rear and drop the front.

I have had on more the one occasion come into turn 5 at Putnam on a tight inside line. When pressing hard to get the bike to turn quick, the bar slams all the way to the stop and then leaps back to center. It's very disturbing. But having a knee down and being relaxed has worked each time to keep it upright. Is turn 5 where you had your incident as well Nolan?

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
So as I post and read. I am again reminded how bad my bike is setup for me. Darn all you! I hate you for reminding me. But hey, if you take away enough trail, you can make anything turn quickly Raise the rear and drop the front.

I have had on more the one occasion come into turn 5 at Putnam on a tight inside line. When pressing hard to get the bike to turn quick, the bar slams all the way to the stop and then leaps back to center. It's very disturbing. But having a knee down and being relaxed has worked each time to keep it upright. Is turn 5 where you had your incident as well Nolan?
Yup. I had been ripping through there all day going faster than I ever have. I turned in a little tight and when I tried to adjust by putting pressure on the clipons the front tucked almost instantly. I probably would have made it fine if I stayed relaxed and light on the bars like I was all day.

Track Junkie #79

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode