My first trackday - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

NESBA.com This forum is for talking about Nesba events and for their members to communicate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
^^^Bad for your hearing

Sportbike: 2007 gsxr 600
Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport
How you found us: heard from a member

Send a message via AIM to streetracin1820
My first trackday

Had the chance to experience my first track day with NESBA on august 30th, and wanted to do a write up for anyone a little unsure of doing a trackday. sorry this is so long. Had a chance to work with a few Control Riders, talk one on one with them, pit with some amazing people all around me, and even experience the medical crew, and let me say NESBA has not only made me a track addict but also a HUGE fan of Nesba.

The day started off with arriving. At the track around 6:30-6:45 A.M got there and bike wouldn’t start so not knowing much of bike repair or diagnosing I asked two guys pitted next to me. One gave me a little advice, the other even went as far as to grab a tool and start to work on the bike, with me. Come to find out the straps turned my kill switch off and it was no big deal.

After unloading the bikes, I walked over to turn one racing and picked up my suit and gear rental from them Tom at the turn one racing booth. Great guys and great pricing. Then proceeded to suit up and walk my bike over to my first tech experience. And surprisingly not that bad for all the nervous and worrying I was doing. Walked my bike in and got the bike checked over by the NESBA staff who were all very nice people and directed me though everything. Then walked over to my pit area right around two of the CR’S.

After tech it was all up to the waiting game, going through the riders meeting, they went over a few of do’s and don’ts of the track. Then let advanced and intermediate riders go and did the Beginners rider meeting, were we had the opportunity to learn a bit of track riding and ask any questions or concerns on my mind.

As the day proceeded on just like any new track rider, I was a little nervous my first session out. As one of the CR’S noticed this he took the time and rode with me around the track showing me the lines, turn in, apex, and exit points, and really helped to keep me in a comfortable state of mind while bettering my riding abilities, all while keeping within my skill level.

So as the day moved on and the sessions ticked by I started to get more and more comfortable with the track and riding track, and within an hour after lunch I was hooked. I’ve been bitten by the track bug and fully loving every second of it.

Unfortunately though I made the mistake as well and ended up going down on the 2nd to last session of the day. Coming out of turn 6 at Blackhawk down the back straight, going toward turn 6a and 7 ended up getting on the throttle to hard, when the bike wasn’t fully straightened out. And sliding the rear tire out into the grass and low sliding the bike. After getting my head together and seeing my bike the corner workers were to me the first second the track cleared. As I tried to help pick the bike up they told me “worry about me and they’ll pick up the pieces” excellent patient people. Towing me to the pits and making sure I’m okay.
After arriving at the pit’s the people around my area were more than helpful getting my bike up on the rear stand, and really calming my nerves on the bike. This being my first major accident on a bike period really got my mind moving with a million thoughts at once. The people around me though checked on me, glanced over the bike telling me its perfectly fixable and did an amazing job calming my nerves, and even telling me what it would take to get the bike back together, Which was surprisingly not as bad as I thought.
Shortly after I was Back to the pits, the a couple of Control riders one who was on the track with me at the time even took a few minutes to stand and talk with me about what happened, helping me to get learn and better my self.

So if one were to ask how was my first day with NESBA? I would say with confidence at ease, The good with the bad, my day was simply amazing. The people there everyone from the fellow riders, to the Staff and Control Riders, the Corner workers and Medical Crew. Were simply amazing. Ive learned a lot about my bike, my abilities, and have gained a lot of knowledge and felt a substantial increase in skill level throughout the day. I can say with confidence, even though I went down I am addicted and fully loving it. It was my first track day with NESBA, and will definitely not be my last track day with NESBA. Looking forward to my next track day.

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 AM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

this was my first track day as well. sucks that u went down dude, but im glad u were ok. yeah nesba is a great org. i really like how they run things.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Too Much Pressure

Sportbike: Updated--No bike--again!
Years Riding: 39 years, starting at age 5 with go-cart
How you found us: Flat 4 Tour.com

Also my 1st track day. You probably saw a lot of me riding my heavy VFR800 (white) bike with the trunk rack still on it. By the end of the day, was really hauling the mail as best I could. I went off of turn 5 (went wide) into the sloppy, wet grass. Saved it from my motocross experience.

Glad you had a great 1st time, as did I. It definitely was a large "B" group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 AM

Sportbike: YZF600R Thundercat
Years Riding: 1.5 years
How you found us: Ashwin

Send a message via AIM to Capt Pie
Thanks for the write-up! I'm doing my first one soon, as Ash always tried to get me out to one. This one will be in his honor, so I'm looking forward to it
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 AM

Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine

+1 for nesbians

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Nice write-up You were pretty bummed when you came back on the crash truck. Look forward to seeing you out there next year with your new track weapon.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
^^^Bad for your hearing

Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport

Yea was pretty bumed but after the group around me checked on me and more importantly my bike i started to comfort me saying its not that bad i felt a little better.

I think i hit my head hard enough on the down because the down doesnt seem to bother me and am more focused on getting her back together before the end of the season......OOO Ken you might be getting an email soo buddy

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Glad to hear that you had a great time. Looking forward to riding with you again!

Great write up!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Nice writeup! Thank you.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

looking over your bike im glad that it took the worst of the crash and you came out A-OK
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
^^^Bad for your hearing

thanks for guys, it was great being able to meet and ride with all of you. Im shooting to have her back together and trackside for my next track day by mid next season hopefully.

Ron thanks again for letting me pit by you guys. and thanks to everyone for all the advice and help. espeically calming me down after i got back.

and might i add in.....DAMN glad to be an addict

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Sportbike: Track: 08 GSXR 1000; 08 GSXR 1000; 2005 R6 Dirt: 08 CRF 250 06 KLX 110
Years Riding: 15 years
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracin1820 View Post
thanks for guys, it was great being able to meet and ride with all of you. Im shooting to have her back together and trackside for my next track day by mid next season hopefully.

Ron thanks again for letting me pit by you guys. and thanks to everyone for all the advice and help. espeically calming me down after i got back.

and might i add in.....DAMN glad to be an addict

It is amazing at how addicting riding the track can be.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your first trackday...its pretty cool to read the thoughts of someone that just got on the track...makes me think about my first day.

WWW.TRACKDAYSTORE.COM The only online store where you earn free track time when you make a purchase
WWW.NESBA.COM
Nesba Midwest CR #803
Hix Racing #803
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 04:36 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Sounds like a good time. Nice seeing write-ups from Beginners and the Advanced guys.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Sportbike: R6s
Years Riding: 7th season
How you found us: co-worker

How much do you guys spend for the single track day? I'd like to try it before I'll trade it to a HD next year.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Slow Old Guy.

$200-$250 all in per day. There are threads that argue the costs.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 PM

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: NOT LONG ENUFF!
How you found us: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLY R6 View Post
How much do you guys spend for the single track day? I'd like to try it before I'll trade it to a HD next year.
normaly $175 for a day to sign up for track just depends which ORG. you sign up with. $10-$20 for gas for your bike. so just a little over $200. this is not including your lunch and your way to the track and tires

<------dennis myspace.com/d8130
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Hey.... that adds up to $200-250! Cool!! Not bad, sign me UP!!

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: NOT LONG ENUFF!
How you found us: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Hey.... that adds up to $200-250! Cool!! Not bad, sign me UP!!
HA not the way you run your tires

how many sets of tires do you go thru on a good day?

<------dennis myspace.com/d8130
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Time to change my avatar....

There ya go. Full value from that tire...

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Last edited by Wink; 09-04-2009 at 07:53 PM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 PM
The apex was where?

Sportbike: '07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: Always learning.
How you found us: A vision.

i think there is a bit of tire left on the left side of it...good for at least a few more sessions. Just lean left more

Corey aka: phkz24
NESBA "I" #24
MSF Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Ole Book of Truth
It is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission
Godspeed Ashwin.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Just flip it

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode