Harley Motor build - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: nice variety
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: member

Harley Motor build

Well my buddy chad and i got into my motor on my HD, with the 2 of us we got the whole motor out and the cases split in a afternoon! was awesome!!!
I am doing the full motor, welding and true the crank, pistons, bore, cams, heads, adj pushrods, timkin bearing, the whole shabang... doing a 95, he is doing a 107 (as you can see his motor is out as well in the back round of the pics) I am stoked as hell to get this sucker done, dyno'd and ripping!
but here are some pics of how we spent our saturday! shooting for 100 Hp and 100 ft lbs
will be a great summer!

so the bike can be moved around we fabbed up a support plate

www.thepowderpro.com

Custom Powder Coating, custom bike builds, one-off machining work, custom LED kits..you want it, we can make it happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
sorry for the non HD knowledge.

Is the bike a street bob?

What are you starting with, is that a twin cam motor or Evo? Does the 95" require different jugs or just machine work? How long do you anticipate it will take (man hours more so than calendar time) If you dont mind me asking, what is the cost to do what you are doing to a harley motor, and what other parts of the driveline have to be upgraded to handle the large horsepower increase?

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Lookin good. More HP is always a plus++++

I was kind of wondering the same thing if the tranny will need beefing up?

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

it is a street bob, a 88ci
i am doing a 95 kit, it will have andrews 37 cams, flat top pistons, (the jugs i got from a buddy but they are bored over already to a 95 and have been re honed), i will use screaming eagle adjustable pushrods, the heads will be ported 1.9 int 1.625 ex with compression releases and brass valve guides (prob more as well), the crank only needs to be welded as we checked the run out and it was spot on, so it will not need to be trued, this will handle the added power, i am also doing a Timken bearing in the bottom end to handle the extra meat, SE non roller 1.725 rockers will bring my lift to .541 with the 37 cams.
I have already installed an anderson power pulley, a baker inner primary bearing, and a barnett race clutch, i have a stage 1 ac (k/N), and a screaming eagle race tuner... the trans with the IPB and the power pulley will be fine and give me one hell of a off the line jump!

my buddy whose silver and black glide you see in the back round is going from this same 95 build to a 107 with a 4.125" bore x 4" stroke, it is going to be a beast!

to keep my tire behind me i am upgrading to custom made poly engine mounts as well as a true track motor stabilizer. she will rip!

i am waiting on the crank and bearing to be done and the heads, the guy that is doing them is the best in the biz so he is a bit slammed, looking at around 1 - 2 weeks before i can get it back together and dyno tune it all.

should be a nice suprise for a rocket rider that pulls up next to me
I also CNC'd some customer risers to run a diff set of bars where i will have a bit more control over the new HP

of course we will custom coat and polish them, but the rise is 12.5, plus the 1.5 on the bar, bringin me right around 14 inches, they are cored for internal wiring down the risers, have a support plate that goes across the top of the bar to keep them from moving and twisting, and have custom dice CNC caps for the risers... just awesome... got to love having access to some cooooool tools!

www.thepowderpro.com

Custom Powder Coating, custom bike builds, one-off machining work, custom LED kits..you want it, we can make it happen
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

figured what the hell, may as well go all in on the build right... so stripped it all down and went to work! Thanks to Chad he gave me the great idea of mixing my tins paint match, black cherry, and the gloss black.

the whole motor and all the cases are getting powdered. (trans cover, inner primary, primary, rocker boxes both of them, master cyl, and clutch perch) but that is more to come!

here are some pics

so stripped it all down

blasted it all and coated the first round of parts...

then put on the 120 front and the 170 rear brand new Metzlers!

rebuilt my front forks and new fork boots all fresh powder (ran 15w wiht the progressive spring kit)

pulled apart the tail light for powder work and while i had it out, drilled 2 holes in the base board to add turn signals into the brake light

www.thepowderpro.com

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Wow, that's a lot of work. Good luck with the builds.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Awesome updates!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Thanks for sharing your builds.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Friday is the big day! get that bike back together and off to the tuner!

www.thepowderpro.com

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Well, fri is the big day to get the heart back on the beast... so i took late last night to finish up the new brake/tail/turn

i wired in small LEDS into this to act as turn sigs... came out awesome...took forever, but looks clean as hell... and best off, can not buy this sucker off the shelve!

www.thepowderpro.com

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

crap pic i know... but this is the last of 5 loads! Tomorrow is assembly... new oil pressure sensor is on the way and stearing damper as well!

www.thepowderpro.com

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

well after 2 18 hour days... Chad and i where able to get the motor back in there! bike is starting to look like a bike again! my camera died so i will post pics of the assembly process later, but here are the ones that i was able to get snapped off the SD card.
Got the tail light done, and have to say I LOVE IT!!! all the work that it took to make this thing work and look right was well worth it! looks awesome and is super bright! the built in turn sigs will be wired in later after i get it back from the tuner. but the heads look awesome! compresson releases are great, the hogged out exhaust is going to let this sucker get some air out!!! very stoked! and as i am sure yo can see. lots and lots of new powder work was done, i was in the powder shop till kingdom come to get this sucker ready for re assembly... Tonight the tank goes back on, the pipes go back on, and we can fire her up! then off to the tuner Tues!!!!

here are some pics
tail light

brake light

primary side

cam side

also we had a show on Sat morming... SUCKED wiht how cold it was!!! but we got some awesome response and a ton of our customers showed up to support us... very cool

www.thepowderpro.com

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

she is back together... not bad... under 6 weeks for a ground up harley build... sucks because 5 weeks the bike was just sitting therre waiting on the motor work to be done... but now she is done! It is mind blowing how much faster a build goes when you have 2 people twisting wreches on it, thank you so much Chad!

sorry about the crap pics but it was late!

even hooked back up some of the LEDS

Still have some odds and ends to tie up, front fender, some more LEDs need wired, fog light, new bars, HID headlight install, front stearing damper install.. yadda yadda yadda... but all that can wait till she comes back from the tuner! SUPER stoked up for this one

www.thepowderpro.com

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 AM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

Looks really good!

Don't go hunting rockets though. Depending on the day, I'm at about 104 hp & 100 ft lb on my Deuce with slightly shorter gearing. Any modern 600 walks me pretty good after 60 mph. I can get the hole shot, but that's about it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

ya i figured that... my buddy has a wide glide at over 120 and 130tq
he is a rocket eater... spanks 600's but that whole bike is set up as a hot rod... just a awesome build!

how about some shots of the motor assembly

block was sealed for me and the new bearing installed. so we tossed the pistons in and the jugs on

in the bike

heads on

lower rockers on

www.thepowderpro.com

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

SHE IS ALIVE!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMj52a1nC4

off to the tuner!

www.thepowderpro.com

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

here is a better vid, you can really hear the lift on the cams with this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedoL9EBim4

www.thepowderpro.com

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

all done! she rips!!!!!

95', Welded crank, lefty bearing, Heads by WFOLarry, andrews 37 cams, powder pulley, barnett clutch spring, tappered pushrods, flat top pistons, 94HP and 98TQ

www.thepowderpro.com

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
why did you need to weld up a support plate to move it around when its a full cradle frame?

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

it keeps the trans from piviting on only the rear motor mount and and will have the belt slack become an issue, only when the motor is in the frame does it solid mount, wihtout the brackets it would be a pain in the tail to move. basicly the trans will rock back and forth on the mount and be a pain to move, the plate allows you to roll a rubber mounted motor around with ease

www.thepowderpro.com

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
here is a better vid, you can really hear the lift on the cams with this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedoL9EBim4
niiiiice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Looks Nice! Your work paid off.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

She rips man hope to get her out to the track to run the 1/4 soon... I want to run my buddies GSXR 750 (camed, pipe, tune, intake) just to see how she does next to it... all my buddies with the turbo bussa's are stoked to run me... to "put me in my place" ha ha ha i got no chance but to watch tail lights vanish!

www.thepowderpro.com

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

well sheered the pulley bolts...
well. did not get but 500 miles on the bike after the motor build and i sheered the pulley bolts. yes i check them like crazy they just gave up!

i am very lucky to have a buddy that owns a machine shop and he has a buddy that owns a even better one, he also happens to be a tool and die maker. so here is how we spent our saturday

First i got 4 of the bolts out in like 3 min no problem, the last on shattered the ez out. i tried to get it out but it would not shatter and would not drill, tried carbide bits, cobalt bits, punches, you name it! so i went to my buddies shop this weekend to have him give me a hand

here is what we had to do

use and industrial dremel to core around the EZ out

what caused all the drama

used a dial to find center

milling the hub

what we used to make the new threads

dave making the spacer thread on the lathe

then it was cut, fitted, crimped and put in place..
here is a shot of the final repair! just as strong if not better than stock! unreal the tallent these guys have, glad to have buddies like this!

we did not feel a heli coil would be strong enough so making our own version seemed like a better solution!

got new pulley bolts, torqued to spec, and i will replace them every year now

good as new!

www.thepowderpro.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode