Bike Insurance help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Bike Insurance help

As some of you know, my brother and dad got a Harley Road King Classic. It has about $7000.00 in crome and Kelly told me to tell them they need to insure it for more because if something happened to it, they would get blue book for it and that's all. It makes sence to me. I told my mom and she said "I'm paying 800.00 a year for it, I'm not paying more" . I tought that was high, and after talking to Kelly, it was. When I was looking into buying a sport bike, I was quoted at 185.00 and I can't rememeber what bike I was looking at, I used a Yamaha I saw at CCC. Does anyone have suggestions where they should look at, and what insurance company are good for bikes? My brother and dads driving records are clean also. PLEASE keep it clean, when I get responces, I'm going to send the link to my mom. I hate to see them get ripped off. From what I heard, the people they deal with look for the cheapest rate, I think my parents can do a lot better. Thanks guys ahead of time

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
State farm is the cheapest for bikes.

One thng you need to have is all the reciepts for everything that went into the bike. That way you can come up with a value minus some depreciation if something were to happen to it. In that situation you wouyld then go and argue with the insurance sompany and you would get some more money out of them.

The other avenue is to get the bike appraised and go find insurance that is called agreed value insurance. This is where the insuracne company agrees right up front from the moment of policy signing what the bike is worth and they will pay out that value in case of a wreck.

Check with some hot rod shops on where to get agreed value insurance. surprisingly its really not as expensive as it sounds, since they dont have to pay out very ofte, typically the people who buy those policies take better care of thier stuff.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:54 AM

I have Progressive and they specifically ask you how much (and what you have) in extras you have on your bike when they calculate insurance. Might as well call them and get a rate.

I'm pretty sure the number is just (800)-PROGRESSIVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony

One thng you need to have is all the reciepts for everything that went into the bike. That way you can come up with a value minus some depreciation if something were to happen to it. In that situation you wouyld then go and argue with the insurance sompany and you would get some more money out of them.

The other avenue is to get the bike appraised and go find insurance that is called agreed value insurance. This is where the insuracne company agrees right up front from the moment of policy signing what the bike is worth and they will pay out that value in case of a wreck.

Check with some hot rod shops on where to get agreed value insurance. surprisingly its really not as expensive as it sounds, since they dont have to pay out very ofte, typically the people who buy those policies take better care of thier stuff.
so 800.00 sounds to much?????

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Country Companies is who I go thru.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

I was once told certain haley's are more expensive to there high theft rate.

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
There really is no "shortcut" to doing your research and checking with several different companies. Make sure you are getting "apples-to-apples" comparisons by specifying:

(a) the amount of coverage you seek
(b) the types of coverage you seek
(c) the deductibles you wish to pay

Insurance rates will vary widely based on the above factors plus your age, gender, location and driving record.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:27 AM

I had something similar as to what Tony said on my truck....American Family called it Custom Vehicle Coverage. It stated the vehicle cost up front for replacement purposes.......it was worth MORE than the book value because it was stretched into a 4 door and Dodge didn't make one at the time. I was paying 900/year for a 42k truck, the HD should be cheaper.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Re: Bike Insurance help

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
As some of you know, my brother and dad got a Harley Road King Classic. It has about $7000.00 in crome and Kelly told me to tell them they need to insure it for more because if something happened to it, they would get blue book for it and that's all. It makes sence to me. I told my mom and she said "I'm paying 800.00 a year for it, I'm not paying more" . I tought that was high, and after talking to Kelly, it was. When I was looking into buying a sport bike, I was quoted at 185.00 and I can't rememeber what bike I was looking at, I used a Yamaha I saw at CCC. Does anyone have suggestions where they should look at, and what insurance company are good for bikes? My brother and dads driving records are clean also. PLEASE keep it clean, when I get responces, I'm going to send the link to my mom. I hate to see them get ripped off. From what I heard, the people they deal with look for the cheapest rate, I think my parents can do a lot better. Thanks guys ahead of time
Check with Harley-Davidson Insurance Co. 800 832-4449... I have a Fatboy and a Electraglide Classic insured with them at very reasonable rates. They will start you with coverage up to $3000.00 for accessories included in the policy... and of course you add the coverage you need.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 11:51 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
I pay $51.25 a month thru State Farm with the highest coverage possible. Progreessive was on the high side for a sport bike I thought at $1003 a year.

Ian

Ian
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:27 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
Agree. I had Progressive for 2 years and then I got a quote from ST and they were very cheap compared to Progressive.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:29 PM

Give a call to Gary Spinka, he specializes in motorcycle insurance and can find you the best rate by cross-checking with a number of different companies. Tell him Sam at Illinois Harley send ya.

Local 630-983-7979
Toll Free 800-467-4292
Fax 630-983-0790
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:46 PM

Sportbike: Yamaha FZ1
Years Riding: Can't remember
How you found us: member

Check with a number of insurance companies to get quotes. Ask for quotes for identical coverage from each company. Make sure you have the exact manufacturer's model number for the bike to use when asking for quotes from these various companies. Many companies will also ask you for the VIN--be prepared with this number. Make sure you list all extras added to the bike when getting your quotes.

Quotes can vary substantially. Do your research and understand your options before making your decision.

Good luck!

Keytickler
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ILHD Sam
Give a call to Gary Spinka, he specializes in motorcycle insurance and can find you the best rate by cross-checking with a number of different companies. Tell him Sam at Illinois Harley send ya.

Local 630-983-7979
Toll Free 800-467-4292
Fax 630-983-0790
Hey Sam, Get a "Busa"...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 01:45 PM

Serious Black, who did the aviatar for your post? Looks like your ElectraGlide got caught in a trash compactor!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode