Just bought an 02 vtx 1800c - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: BMW F800GSA, Honda VTX1800C, Honda XR650L
How you found us: web search

Just bought an 02 vtx 1800c

I bought my dads 02 vtx 1800c this past weekend. After my 02 gsxr 750 was stolen in sept 03 I bought a house and so last yr because of lack of funds I only had the xr650L which isn't the best road bike so it is sure nice to have something with street tires again. My dad got one of the first vtxs around and I think bought it May 1st of 2001 so I have a very early production model. I'll get to work on some of the fixes on the vtx owners association forums one of these days. It hasn't had any problems but I know there is a grounding fix and I was told something regarding the kickstand too but I am not sure. It has only 3000 miles so it hasn't been used much. I bought it for $7000 and I got a few accessories with it but in the pic took off the windshield and I am debating about getting rid of the extra lights too. The givi bag on the back looks a little funny especially since originally my dad had leather bags on the sides too but it is so nice to be able to store and lock both the helmet and jacket in the back that I will keep it. The complete givi bag system was on his FZ1 and costs like a grand so I am buying it for half. I may find a way to mount the side cases too for touring but I'll have to custom fabricate something for that since givi doesn't sell mounts for a vtx.
I have put only about 100 miles on it so far but it is certainly a nice bike. Just enough power to be fun but not so much as the sport bikes so hopefully I won't be doing anymore community service. It is bigger than the magna which fits my 6'2" 210lb frame much better. It is heavy but it handles well. Drags pegs really easy though. I am sure it will be so much nicer when taking a passenger than the sport bike. I really didn't care much for the look of most cruisers but this more muscle bike look is far more appealing to me than the big fenders and fringe. I think this is going to be a bike that stays with me for a very long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4050022_web.jpg (116.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg P4050027_web.jpg (75.2 KB, 60 views)

"Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that unless we love the truth, we cannot know it." - Blaise Pascal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Nice Bike!!!!! Ride it like you stole it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:36 PM
This show is 'Rated NC17'

Sportbike: Honda's & Yamaha's
Years Riding: Late 80's
How you found us: CLSB found me!

Welcome to the club! I've had my for two years and they're great bikes. I rode to Iowa to do the Missippi and out to Ohio (boring ride) and no complaints. Enjoy. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJFRacing_V.jpg (102.5 KB, 48 views)

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:49 PM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Congrats man

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Now you have to learn how to slide it around a dirt track like Jake Zemke did in the commercial!

Nice bike!

Bill Taborn, Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:31 PM
love to ride

Sportbike: 2003 VTX 1800c
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: friend

Send a message via Yahoo to aloha1973
congrats. nice bike - not the fastest color, though

if you decide to sell you shield, i'll take it.

2003 Honda VTX 1800C

Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:37 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Nice bike! Congrats.

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Shweet

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Nice!!

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
They are a nice ride, I test rode one when they first came out.

I would get rid of that bag on the back though, go out and get yourself some nice leather bags, that will look better and give you plenty of storage.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
They are a nice ride, I test rode one when they first came out.

I would get rid of that bag on the back though, go out and get yourself some nice leather bags, that will look better and give you plenty of storage.
I was with you initially but after using it a couple times I have really grown to like having a lockable hard case that is big enough to fit 2 helmets, my helmet and jacket, my gym bag, my laptop bag for work, etc...
It makes riding the bike anywhere much more practical. If I find anything that looks better I'd certainly consider it but I haven't seen anything yet. If I know I am not going to use it the thing is quick releases and comes off in 10 seconds.
I have some american standard leather bags (that is why the first pic has those metal bars sticking down) but with the locking of the givi and not having to carry around the helmet and jacket I don't think I could go back. I must be getting old...cruiser...big bags...but don't worry I won't ever trike it.

"Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that unless we love the truth, we cannot know it." - Blaise Pascal
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider
I was with you initially but after using it a couple times I have really grown to like having a lockable hard case that is big enough to fit 2 helmets, my helmet and jacket, my gym bag, my laptop bag for work, etc...
It makes riding the bike anywhere much more practical. If I find anything that looks better I'd certainly consider it but I haven't seen anything yet. If I know I am not going to use it the thing is quick releases and comes off in 10 seconds.
I have some american standard leather bags (that is why the first pic has those metal bars sticking down) but with the locking of the givi and not having to carry around the helmet and jacket I don't think I could go back. I must be getting old...cruiser...big bags...but don't worry I won't ever trike it.
Ad people wonder why I fell in love with baggers years ago It make ridig everywhere much more versatile. My vcalkyrie could hold two helmets and enough clothes for a weekend for two. it was perfect.

the harley is missing the top bag so I cant carry helmets, but I still have the side bags which can hold a easly 2 cases of beer.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Ad people wonder why I fell in love with baggers years ago It make ridig everywhere much more versatile. My vcalkyrie could hold two helmets and enough clothes for a weekend for two. it was perfect.

the harley is missing the top bag so I cant carry helmets, but I still have the side bags which can hold a easly 2 cases of beer.
Well I understand ya no problem....check the harley thread I posted a picture of my dads sidecar on his ultra electra glide. Then on top of that he tows a popup trailer behind it. There is room inside the trailer when it all folds down for more stuff. Pretty amazing to me some of these things...who from the sport bike world would ever think of towing a camper behind a motorcycle

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:16 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

Congrats!!!!

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:23 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
kick ass!.. i want a new bike

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:31 PM

Sportbike: 2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden Edition, 07 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: long enough
How you found us: fireblades.org members

I love my VTX!! They are an awesome ride. Congrats
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:27 PM
CCS - WERA - AMA

Sportbike: '04 600RR
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: search

Quote:
Originally Posted by tWisTEd
Welcome to the club! I've had my for two years and they're great bikes. I rode to Iowa to do the Missippi and out to Ohio (boring ride) and no complaints. Enjoy. . .
Missippi? Maybe twisted found a new ride or maybe he just needs spell check! The VTX1800 is an awesome bike!

Are we there yet?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

I just want to know why Ohio is boring. Have you been to the triple nickles in Southern Ohio? Southern Ohio has some great riding. Northern Ohio, where I live is definitely lacking good riding. But, Southern Ohio is really good.

Bill T., Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

nice bike!

my buddy has an 04, and it rides like a dream..........I love seeing the clouds reflected on the top of that HUGE mofo headlight. Have fun and dont daydream looking at the skys reflection like I did...it could be dangerous!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:34 AM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

Please, please, please, do us all a favor and DON'T STICK A LOUD ASS EXHAUST ON THAT BIKE! I'm sorry, but I've heard some of the loudest, ugliest sounding, nasty exhausts on VTX's for some reason. The kind where everyone turns around to look when one starts and goes by. There must be something inherant about a VTX motor just makes it terribly loud and nasty sounding with aftermarket pipes- just extremely unpleasant and anti-social.

Rant off!

Congrats. It's a great bike, though. Incredble roll on torque, Honda build quality. Enjoy.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Actually I read on the VTX board that the VTX1300 has a different sound then the 1800. The 1300 has more of a Harley sound to where the 1800 has a unique sound, the kind that either ya like it or ya don't.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Please, please, please, do us all a favor and DON'T STICK A LOUD ASS EXHAUST ON THAT BIKE! I'm sorry, but I've heard some of the loudest, ugliest sounding, nasty exhausts on VTX's for some reason. The kind where everyone turns around to look when one starts and goes by. There must be something inherant about a VTX motor just makes it terribly loud and nasty sounding with aftermarket pipes- just extremely unpleasant and anti-social.

Rant off!

Congrats. It's a great bike, though. Incredble roll on torque, Honda build quality. Enjoy.
At 900cc per cylinder there is a good reason not to stick straight pipes on it. I like the sound of it when accelerating off idle or when compression braking but other than that it is very quiet. It might be because the pipe sticks out so far beyond the rider. I can't stand loud cruisers though...especially when riding behind them since I can't hardly hear my bike above them. The peace with the stock one on a long road trip will be nice I am sure. I plan to keep it as it is. Being content and enjoying the ride is nice for a change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode