Street Rod vs. V-Rod - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Street Rod vs. V-Rod

I might be joining the darkside. I alwys like the V-Rod, but was initially turned off by it's *reported* tendancy to want to fall over in slow turns (steep rake ont he fork, what do you expect), and its short operating range (3.7 g tank). But its almost as if Harley read my mind because the new Street Rod variant decreased the front rake, it turns sharper now, the tank is almost 5 g, it's got Brembos on it and the exhaust has been let out a small amount, maybe +3HP I read. I also really like the pegs got moved under the saddle.

Anyway, I know a few here actually ride the V-Rod already. What are their impressions of the Street Rod? IMO the V-Rod does look slicker, for sure, but the Street Rod might be more practical...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I am extremly happy with what they did this year by bringing out the street rod. With the lower bars, the mid mount (almost rear mount) pegs change the riding position dramaticly, it is much more like an FZ-1 riding position combine that with the steeper rake and increased lean anngle and you have your self one great bike. I do think they need to fire up the marketing machine a bit more for this bike, Most people dont even know its different from a v-rod, I know I didnt and I ride a harley, I went to sit on it and was instantly shocked by what I was feeling. here I am leaqning over the tank to grab the bars and my knees are bent to put my feet on the pegs. major change and a great shove int he right direction for the v-rod line.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the bike mags (for what they're worth) all laud the changes as well. I read in the vrodforums that Milwaukee took the design and tweaked it for practicality, removing the disc rims (they look cool, nicer on the fatboy though, IMO) and giving it spokes. It actually weighs 20 or lbs more than the V-Rod, but you'd never guess it because the lack of chrome. I like the displays too, easy to read. I went to the Harley dealer on North Ave and saw one/sat on it and felt right at home.

Interesting you said it resembles the FZ stance, that's actually the "other" bike I've been looking at for the past 2 years.

Has anyone heard about the depreciation of the V-Rod line? Do they deprecate faster than the other Harleys? I went to Kellybluebook.com and looked up what a 2002 V-Rod would trade in for, and it didn't appear take a steep dive compared to your runofthemill FLHRI. The reason I say this: I'm not as insterested in HD's image/mystique as I am in owning something that will actually be valuble. Otherwise, it just might be an FZ1 for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:31 AM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
How bout some pictures??? I've been looking at a VTX or a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

I would go talk to Sam over at IL harley, I thnk he may have one of those available for test riding, but I'm not positive.

Harleys have historicly held thier value better than most bikes out there. I cant be sure what the future will hold since they have upped thier production a lot which means more bikes to fill the demand. But, I can tell you that I dont regret making the jump from japanese to american one bit. The main thing is you have to like the bike your riding, If you like the bike the value of it doesnt mater that much, after all its a toy, not an investment. So go take one for a ride and see what ya think.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
How bout some pictures??? I've been looking at a VTX or a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior.
Harleys flash wont let me steal pics, go HERE and scroll down to the black Street rod banner and click it. Very cool site for the bike.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:53 AM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Me too!!

As soon as I can find a new home and appease the wife, I think I'm going to get a Roadstar Warrior. I also love the new Street Rod and the Victory Hammer, but the Warrior seems to be the best of both worlds between a cruiser and a sportbike, and at a good price. It has R1 forks and brakes.

However, If I could get a deal on a Street Rod, I may have to consider it.

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

GelbKruez,,,,,,I aaaammm your Faaathaaaa.. come over to the Dark Side.......

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Here, sorry if some a uber-big, they're hosted on motorcycle-usa.com

I just really really like that bike.

Tony, the N Ave HD will take foreign bikes (assuming I don't FSBO mine), as well as grant rentals. Having said that, I've been to the big HD shop on Ogden and was not too happy - they weren't jerks or anything - but the place offered no rentals and didn't let you sit on a bike without a sales guy present. The N Ave. one did.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:22 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFactory
Me too!!

As soon as I can find a new home and appease the wife, I think I'm going to get a Roadstar Warrior. I also love the new Street Rod and the Victory Hammer, but the Warrior seems to be the best of both worlds between a cruiser and a sportbike, and at a good price. It has R1 forks and brakes.

However, If I could get a deal on a Street Rod, I may have to consider it.

+2 I'm eyeing those two as well. More the Warrior than the Victory Hammer. That bike just looks too damn hard to turn. I like the Victory 8-Ball as a whole, but don't like the fact that it is only available in black. Maybe this year it will come out in lots of colors.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

SloRoll, I WANT one...I do dammit!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

This is a good write up at mcnews.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/HD/...-rod/page1.htm

At least, they're graphics prove to readers the bike can do rather, unconventional things for a cruiser. It's a naked bike really, a naked bike with a 5 speed (dammit). That doesn't really bother me though.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Yeah, it is a good looking bike. Not crazy about the huge painted fins that surround the radiator.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 02:07 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

All I can say is...WOW!

Id like to ride one, I rode my stepmoms vrod down from mt rushmore to sturgis, and I had 5 issues with it:

Steering rake, lean angle, rearset position, brakes, and the disc wheels...(they are a serious bitch in heavy crosswinds)..........all have been addressed......also, if youve never ridden one, you may be surprised by how steady and smooth the powerband is on these(the one I was on was screamin eagle equipped)......................Kudos to HD for listening to the skeptics and addressing the concerns of current owners....

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 08:46 PM

If it wasn't for the 17k price tag, it wouldn't be such a bad deal.......but you could get 2 jap bikes for that kinda coin!

HD will impress me when they can price match for what kinda technology they offer..........until then, you'll not see me owning one AND see shitloads of them for sale in the paper.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Administrator

The price is a prohibiting factor, but unfortunatly we have things like unions here which jack the cost of production up here, I dont think we can compete in that market pricewise unfortunatly unless we start hiring 15 year olds for 3 dollars an hour. Buying american does cost a little more but I didnt mind doing it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

I'll stick with the V-Rod But seeing as I can't afford 1 I'll take the VTX1300R HOPEFULLY before summer is over. ALready found a great deal on one

I don't care for the StreetRod

PLUS the maintinence on them are like every 5000 miles I was told from a dealer

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 09:24 PM

I love my Warrior !

I know its no sportbike , but it handles pretty well.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
love to ride

Sportbike: 2003 VTX 1800c
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: friend

Send a message via Yahoo to aloha1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeYeNNe
But seeing as I can't afford 1 I'll take the VTX1300R HOPEFULLY before summer is over. ALready found a great deal on one
there are still 2003 VTX 1800 available at HUGE discount. you might as well get a better ( then VTX 1300) bike for almost the same money:
linked brakes
dual disk brake in front
fuel injection
dual pin
extra 30 HP

2003 Honda VTX 1800C

Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
If it wasn't for the 17k price tag, it wouldn't be such a bad deal.......but you could get 2 jap bikes for that kinda coin!

HD will impress me when they can price match for what kinda technology they offer..........until then, you'll not see me owning one AND see shitloads of them for sale in the paper.
Like what was said earlier, when american workers will put a HD together for $3 an hour you'll see a cheap HD. BTW, $17k will get you a pretty nice HD. Many of the models go for much less ($7k - $14k) The top of the line stock HD bike goes for $21k which is less than a new Gold Wing comparably equipped. What is the price of a BMW cruiser comparably equipped? The fact that you see "sh!tloads" of them in the paper isn't a negative thing. It just means that they are a big part of the american market. IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with the HD technology. My 2k1 Fatboy has 25k miles on it, doesn't leak and doesn't break down. I've done road trips that exceed 6k miles and I have absolutely NO use for the HP available on some of the foreign bikes. My 70hp gets me to where I want to go as fast as I want to go there. All in all a good deal I'd say.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll
Like what was said earlier, when american workers will put a HD together for $3 an hour you'll see a cheap HD. BTW, $17k will get you a pretty nice HD. Many of the models go for much less ($7k - $14k) The top of the line stock HD bike goes for $21k which is less than a new Gold Wing comparably equipped. What is the price of a BMW cruiser comparably equipped? The fact that you see "sh!tloads" of them in the paper isn't a negative thing. It just means that they are a big part of the american market. IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with the HD technology. My 2k1 Fatboy has 25k miles on it, doesn't leak and doesn't break down. I've done road trips that exceed 6k miles and I have absolutely NO use for the HP available on some of the foreign bikes. My 70hp gets me to where I want to go as fast as I want to go there. All in all a good deal I'd say.
Ya my dresser was only 15,000 waaaay cheaper than the comparable goldwing or bmw.

- Ronald Reagan

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

When I had my 1200 Sportster I approached Theil's Wheels, a dealership in Upper Sandusky, OH with a great, nationally ranked drag racing team, about placing a Buell engine in my Sportster frame. They told me for about $4,500 they could give me the same performance with my existing engine. That would have been cool but, more than I could spend at the time. But, sometime in the future, it will happen.

Bill Taborn, Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I just wen to the North Ave. Harley dealer, and they didn't have any Street Rods to look at. When I asked the sales guy they said they'll get one, at the end of June. He said it's because they're slowing production. I asked if I could order one, and he said I'd still have to wait.

Slowing production? I thought HD was doing more business now than ever. I don't think so.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelbKreuz
I just wen to the North Ave. Harley dealer, and they didn't have any Street Rods to look at. When I asked the sales guy they said they'll get one, at the end of June. He said it's because they're slowing production. I asked if I could order one, and he said I'd still have to wait.

Slowing production? I thought HD was doing more business now than ever. I don't think so.
There are three places immediately near me. If you really want one, and they have one, set something up. The places are Toledo H-D, Signature H-D, and Napoleon H-D. Check with Toledo and Napoleon first, I've dealt with them and they're good peeps. I have not dealt with Signature so I have no useful information. Then, if you do the deal and you need a place to hang as you pick up the bike I'll have a place waiting for you.

Bill T., Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:29 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Check with our sponsor, Sam at IL HD.

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:31 PM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFactory
Check with our sponsor, Sam at IL HD.
If not there, call Woodstock Harley. One of the biggest dealers w/ most bikes.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank Bill. Thanks guys. I'm gonna start calling around tomorrow. I'll check with Sam here on the boards also.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 PM

I rented and rode the V-Rod a few weeks ago. In my opinion, it was a great bike. Very smooth, easy to ride, etc. I did however notice how awkward it was on low speed turns. I put almost 400 miles on it in 2 days, and wasn't noticeably fatigued. BTW, I'm 6'4", and it fit me pretty comfortably. I'll have to see if I can rent a Street Rod...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode