buddys harley problem...who can help? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
buddys harley problem...who can help?

well easy way to explain this is where the oil filter gets screwed on...and then the oil sensor below it...well he overtightened the oil sensor and it cracked the alum block with a hair line crack....POOR enginering in my eyes by harley...but here is the pickle...its leaking oil from both the filter cause of the crack and also from the sensor location casue the crack goes all the way from the sensor hole to the filter location....

any 1 know if this can be fixed or is 1 side or the motor cassing gonna have to be replaced?
its alum so it can be welded more then likely...but its in a sensitive area...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Yamahaulin !!

Sportbike: 2003 R6 Liquid Silver
Years Riding: 4 yrs
How you found us: on line

duct tape...

Ok I'm sorry, I have nothing of value to add.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary . . . that’s what gets you” Jeremy Clarkson
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
well easy way to explain this is where the oil filter gets screwed on...and then the oil sensor below it...well he overtightened the oil sensor and it cracked the alum block with a hair line crack....POOR enginering in my eyes by harley...but here is the pickle...its leaking oil from both the filter cause of the crack and also from the sensor location casue the crack goes all the way from the sensor hole to the filter location....

any 1 know if this can be fixed or is 1 side or the motor cassing gonna have to be replaced?
its alum so it can be welded more then likely...but its in a sensitive area...
WOW!!! thats not a good situation. buy the extened warenty and then take it in and tell them you dont knwo what happened.

It may be time to replace that half of the engine case. while your in there and since you have to split the cases he should just go ahead and put in a 103 kit.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:13 PM
This show is 'Rated NC17'

Sportbike: Honda's & Yamaha's
Years Riding: Late 80's
How you found us: CLSB found me!

Huh. . . don't know how to fix that. Never happened on my Honda.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 05:17 PM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Falkor
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: yahoo

you can try jbweld for a quick fix.

But can you blame harley for someone overtorquing a bolt? Majority of engines today are coming out aluminum. If you overtorque the plugs, or head bolts then you just messed your engine up.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
POOR enginering in my eyes by harley...
How can you say "Poor engineering"??? That's rediculous. He muscled in the sensor and spread the case till it cracked. It's aluminiun!!! Duh......

Cases can be rewelded, but only by a professional that knows how to weld a MC case. Not just any welder will do. If this is a newer bike I'd go with a new case. If it's an old bike and to want to keep the original numbers, weld.

JB weld will temporarily plug a leak but is has little to no structural integrity.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Thee original azzhole!

well...he was not smart to pay attention to the part that was alum....and i think you guys are right and just buy a new right side case...its a newer bike...he's not gonna be happy about it...but i dont think there will be an easy fix to this...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Quote:
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

trade it in gor a new one!

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Torque wrenches can be had for $20.00 at harborfreighttools.com a service manual, maybe at the most $30. If a hack like me can wrench, and not F things up, anyone should be able too. I have used JB Weld to repair a number of things, with good sucess. The last time was repairing an oil leak, lasted until I sold the vehicle.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Sportbike: '02 R1, '93 rr, '75 Cb550
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to Jschaffer
If you clean the area properly the JB weld will be all you need and will last for a long time. I had a Honda throw the chain and blow out the side of the engine case - a few hours later I was up and running again and last I heard it is still running strong 10k later. The key to it all is good surface prep - lots of acetone or denatured alcohol and making sure everything is completely oil free.

'02 R1 - Rwheezyfosheezy
'93 900RR
'86 Jag XJS V-12 Coupe - Gas Guzzler
'64 Grand Prix - Obligatory Muscle Car
'91 Infiniti G20 - Winter Beater
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:01 PM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
What I want to know is how did he managed to crack aluminum. Last time I checked if you are screwing a bolt into an aluminum and you over tighten it, all you are going to do is break a thread. It is either I am way outdated on my engeniring background, it has been more then 15 year, or something does not add up here.

Last year body of mine over tighten his oil pan in the Katana, alluminum pan, all he did was striped the thread. It was holding the bolt, but slowly dripping oil. I wonder if the crack you see is not the type of the crack that you thing it is and it is just siping oil from th thread itself?

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

There is this stuff called alumirod (sp?), it allows you to weld with a propane torch. It should be able to fix the problem. You would just heat the cases and the alumirod would get sucked into the crack. Cheap fix but I can't be certain it will work as I don't have a lot of experience with this type of thing, I have a torque wrench,

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Sportbike: '02 R1, '93 rr, '75 Cb550
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to Jschaffer
Oil sensor is, I believe, a 1/8-27 tapered pipe thread. Normal threads will pull out most often, but the taper acts as a wedge and can cause cracks fairly easily.

Alumaloy might work. The problem is that it requires you to get the surrounding area to a very high temperature. It's tough to use the stuff when working with thicker aluminum sections because it wicks away the heat so fast it's hard to ever get it up to temperatures at which the alumaloy will bond with the base metal. Worth a try, though.

'02 R1 - Rwheezyfosheezy
'93 900RR
'86 Jag XJS V-12 Coupe - Gas Guzzler
'64 Grand Prix - Obligatory Muscle Car
'91 Infiniti G20 - Winter Beater
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschaffer
Alumaloy might work. The problem is that it requires you to get the surrounding area to a very high temperature. It's tough to use the stuff when working with thicker aluminum sections because it wicks away the heat so fast it's hard to ever get it up to temperatures at which the alumaloy will bond with the base metal. Worth a try, though.
What if the bike was to be run at idle for a while to get the cases nice and saturated with heat, would that help any?

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Thee original azzhole!

^---that would work....but then its still has to be cleaned cause the oil is leaking through 2 spots...so by the time you got that cleaned up....its back to a cold temp again...best bet for him is just to replace the case in my book...i didnt bring my camera with when i went to go look at it...but im sure this is a known issue with harleys...he just didnt know cause its was his 1st harley...

Quote:
Quote:
mmmm pussy
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 05:56 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D
There is this stuff called alumirod (sp?), it allows you to weld with a propane torch. It should be able to fix the problem. You would just heat the cases and the alumirod would get sucked into the crack. Cheap fix but I can't be certain it will work as I don't have a lot of experience with this type of thing, I have a torque wrench,
I use that all the time, love the stuff, I think Sloroll has used it also. Problem with that method, is the casing acts as one huge assed heat sink, so you'll go thru at least 20 lbs of propane heating the repair area to the proper temparture. You'll need to use an oxy/acly torches to heat the area, and if you don't know what your doing, you'll cause even more problems. Second the entire area will have to be super clean, and the only way I see that happening is removal of the casing involved.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:08 AM

Sportbike: X-1, XR-1000
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: Badweb

Remove all traces of oil from the crack with brake cleaner and compressed air, and seal with loctite wick and lock (290). It is made for this application and I have used it to seal cracks in steel and aluminum castings. As long as there is no stress trying to spread the crack, it will work.

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...icking%20Grade
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Just go on ebay and buy a new right side case. Its not that hard to rebuild a harley motor. its air cooled which is 100% easier already.

If you try and repair it its gonna look like ass. and good luck selling it with a weld line running down the motor casing.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode