First bike cruiser recommendations - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 95 Triumph Speed Triple
Years Riding: 15
How you found us: member

First bike cruiser recommendations

A friend of mine (well, my friend's ex-girlfriend actually) wants to get into motorcycling and has expressed interest in a new Yamaha V star or V star classic and has asked me for advice on choosing a bike.

The V star doesn't look like a terrible choice (650 cc, 540 lbs.), however I suggested that she buy a used bike first, and perhaps something a bit lighter. I'm not really familiar with the cruiser segment (this is CLSB, after all), so I couldn't recommend any specific models other than the Rebel, which she stated she is not interested in.

I think a cruiser in the 500-750 cc range would have enough power for the highway while not being overpowering.

I did suggest the Kaw EX500 and the Suz GS500, but I really think she wants a cruiser.

Of course, I told her to take the MSF course before she does anything.

So what else is out there that fits the bill? Savage 650? Tell me what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Sportster is a good girls starter bike...

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:15 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
A buddy of mine has the Vstar 650 as his first motorcycle. It's good for him, but he's 5 ft. 10 inches and around 250 pounds. Easy for him to control.

The VLX line from Honda has been around forever, but I've heard from several different folks that it sucks on highway cruising and horribly underpowered. It does have probably the lowest seat height out there though.

Pretty much any of the models you list should be okay. They haven't changed in years so you can pick on up used pretty cheap and not be missing anything other than a certain color scheme.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Stay away from the Rebel...POS

I think any of the 600 cruisers would be fine for her. Shadow,V-Star 650, Boulevard's

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:19 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

What about the suzuki boulevard line? A variety of sizes and colors, just goto a large dealer sit on them all and find one that fits. IMHO much better looking than the rebel, and more engine options.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Got Milk?

Sportbike: 2007 Suzuki GSXR600
Years Riding: To much street not enough track
How you found us: A little server said HELP!!!

Vstar 650 is a nice bike. Little low on power but its nice.. 1100 is only 100 lbs heavier.. not a bike deal in cruiser talk

Honda has the shadow line. Decent bikes. Priced a little high in my opinion.

Suzuki. Good price.. nice bikes..

Kawasaki line.. just started to carry them at my work. I dont know to much about them but I had bad experience with Kawasaki.

I am a Yamaha fan when it comes to some cruisers. My vstar 1100 has lasted a long time and runs strong. My wife has pretty much taken over that bike.

Stay away from Rebels. Its a good starter but people trade them in the next year.. dont loose the money.

Like Kegger said.. stop at a large dealership.. sit on them all. She will want something that fits her and looks nice.. Its how i get my customers to figure out what one they like

Long live the Blue Dot!!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 06:19 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

I started on a Savage 650. All I can say it is a very nice one. A lot of people who tried riding it had the same impression - this is as good first bike (cruiser!) as it gets. Low seat height, light, easy to handle, cheap and easy to fix, easy to maintain. The engine displacement is simply enough to go faster than cars and it has some off the line grunt (1 cylinder), but it's nothing crazy that a beginner cannot handle.

Overall - highly recommended from me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
1200 or 883 sportster.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Shiny side up!

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: yahoo

Sportsters are the only Harleys with little or NO resale value.

Before this gets into a Harley bitch-fest go with the Yamaha.

My cousin just did this process last summer and she got the VStar 650. (Big fenders and floor boards but I don't know if that's a Classic or a Custom.) She's like 5 foot 2 and about 120 pounds. She never had a bike before but is athletic. She followed me up to Road America and we went back and fourth to Madison a dozen or so times on seperate bikes of course! She gave me a ride across town and has driven a drunk 200 pound boyfriend home more than once!

For your dollar the Yamaha Star line of bikes looks the most Harley like and have the most aftermarket options (from Yamaha and non-OEM) available. She hasn't done any but they have there own Star Riders Group (kind of like the Harley Owners Group or H.O.G.) and from what I've seen in magazines, it's huge! Speaking of magazines the VStars always seem to get highest marks when I stumble across an article.

Hondas are great but don't have the head turning look. Kawasaki doesn't really offer much for a starter and the Suzuki's are dated. From the little I know get the Yamaha.

Remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
What about the suzuki boulevard line? A variety of sizes and colors, just goto a large dealer sit on them all and find one that fits. IMHO much better looking than the rebel, and more engine options.
+1

the M50's are neat little inexpensive bikes.

(1000 posts! yea for post whoring!)

Eric
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Actually, Sportsters DO tend to have resale value from what I've seen (well, what they are asking, not sure what they get).

For the current crop of metric cruisers, I like the Yamaha cruiser line best. They have the 650, 1100, 1700 and that new Roadliner engine. Cover a lot of bases to keep everybody happy. I do, however, like the Suzuki M109R and am interested in what they do with that line over the next couple years. The biggest dealer complaint on Suzuki's is that they don't make their own mark, they look like the others. M109R is definately a head turner and if it goes well, the rest of the line will probably follow.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:22 AM
^That's me

Sportbike: K4 GSXR 750 & K4 RMZ 250 & 2000 CR 250
Years Riding: 7 short years
How you found us: gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to down_on_monday
Honda Magna. My friend bought one for his first bike. It's a 750cc V-4. Has good power and handling. It's also a very sharp looking bike. Bright yellow paint with a black streak like design on the tank and is chromed out straight from the factory. Good luck on your choice.

2000 Honda CR250R. 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Actually, Sportsters DO tend to have resale value from what I've seen (well, what they are asking, not sure what they get).
+1...especially starting with a used model to begin with. In the last 3 or 4 years H-D has really made a point of changing the Sportsters to better fit a female rider. Ride height has been lowered, clutch pull lightened and the rubber mounts have all but eliminated the engine vibrations while in motion (i actually like the vibrations on the old Sporties) They're a really good choice for this role, and a hulluva lot cooler than the comparable metric cruisers if you ask me.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_on_monday
Honda Magna. My friend bought one for his first bike. It's a 750cc V-4. Has good power and handling. It's also a very sharp looking bike. Bright yellow paint with a black streak like design on the tank and is chromed out straight from the factory. Good luck on your choice.
+1
This is a great motorcycle, and not too big for a beginner.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:32 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_on_monday

I would tend to shy away from the magna as a beginner bike, it's a power cruiser (or was at one time) I would think she should look at the VLX, and the Kawi Vulcan 500 (ninja 500 motor, cruiser frame) the vulcan 800 isn't a terrible choice either. The 50 series from suzuki, and the vstar 650 from yammie all make excellent starter cruiser choices.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 95 Triumph Speed Triple
Years Riding: 15
How you found us: member

Cool. Thanks guys. I will pass this info on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode