Slack Hills Raly - Anyone goin'? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Slack Hills Raly - Anyone goin'?

OK, Who's goin' to Sturgis this year? Anyone? I am.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
<----- Going

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
So far, we're going.

That is, provided my bike is done and I can find a cat sitter.

Riding out on the 2nd, taking backroads and 2 days to get there. Rented a house in Spearfish with several other couples. Gonna head up into MT for a bit and come back around the 14th.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:53 AM

Sportbike: 97 yzf1000, 05 ZX10R
Years Riding: 100,000 + miles
How you found us: friend

I just got back from out there (well, a couple of weeks ago) omg is it ever beautiful you all have a great time :P
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:56 AM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

I will be out there the 9th-12th
Riding the CBR as always
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I'll be out there on the 6th thru the 9th. Had a cabin. Don't have it anymore. Hope I find a place to stay. I'll Have a nice ride anyway. I just bought a new Ultra-Classic with all the bells and whistles. I pick it up in a couple of hours so I'll have to hurry up and get the break-in miles on it before I go.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

I'm going. Leaving Aug 4th with 3 others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohenchicago View Post
<----- Going

We gotta hook up out there brother. I didn't know you were going too.

Eric
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Model citizen

Just nailed down the route 100%. All backroads except for I-90 to Janesville, WI. I just want to get the hell out of Illinois ASAP.

Leaving in 4 days. I'm actually most pumped just for the ride out there. 3 full days just to get there. Not really looking forward to wall to wall dirty bikers, but I promised my HD buddy last year that I would go. Im sure it will be fun reguardless.

My first real multi-day road trip on a bike. Plus I haven't had a vacation in 2 years. Woot!

Eric

Last edited by Maynard; 07-31-2007 at 09:22 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'm going. Leaving Aug 4th with 3 others!
We gotta hook up out there brother. I didn't know you were going too.
Actually, I am flying into Rapid City Regional and staying with a friend there and we will ride up each day for 2 days then I am flying back home. I'm really gimping out and just getting my taste and then high tailing it back I will try to coordinate with CLSB folks that will be there if we want to get together for food or something.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Not really looking forward to wall to wall dirty bikers, but I promised my HD buddy last year that I would go. Im sure it will be fun reguardless.
Awww.....come on.........enjoy the dirty bikers. I call it Biker Halloween. BTW, keep an eye out for me. I'll be the guy in the black leather jacket with a beard on a black Ultra.

Last edited by SloRoll; 08-01-2007 at 07:36 AM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!

6 of us are hittin' the road tomorrow morning after breakfast. Gonna take North Ave. to Sabula, then hang a right and do the River Road on the IA side until we hit 90. Spendin' the night in Austin, MN. Next day, we ride to Mitchell, SD to check out the Corn Palace and meet up with 6 more folks. Then, it's through the Badlands, the obligatory beer stop in Wall...

Things on my "to-do" list include revisiting the pigtail bridges in Custer State Park, brook trout and scrambled egg breakfast al fresco in Spearfish, Devil's Tower, getting an update on Crazy Horse and heading into Montana to explore Custer's Last Stand. It's gonna be friggin' awesome.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Last time I went to the Corn Palace and Little Big Horn. When ya get to LBH sit for a while and listen to the talk the park ranger gives. It's kinda cool.

BTW, I've een up and down that river road about four times in the last week in a semi. Great sites to see. Always wishin' I was on my bike.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll View Post
Awww.....come on.........enjoy the dirty bikers. I call it Biker Halloween. BTW, keep an eye out for me. I'll be the guy in the black leather jacket with a beard on a black Ultra.
lol I'll keep an eye out for someone matching that description

Were staying in Winona, MN saturday night. Mitchell, SD on sunday night. Should be in Sturgis, SD sometime on monday. Don't have much of a plan once were out there. I'd like to see Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore. I'd like to ride thru Wyoming too.

Eric
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Hey Chuck - I've done it from the WI side, but not IA. Which do you think is the more scenic?

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

I like the west side, IA, MN.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Model citizen

I'm out the door! See you goons in a week!

Eric
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Got back yesterday around 5 pm. Put on 3,000 miles, am sunburned and glad to be back in my/our own bed.

Weather was hot during the day... nice and cool in the canyons in the morning/evenings... we had minimal rain (about an hour between Sioux Falls and Mitchell on the way out) and had fun outrunning several storms on the way back.

We ran 64 to 52 to 16 through IA and into MN... spent the first night at the HI in Austin. Rode to Mitchell for Day 2... got hung up in Sioux Falls while one of us had a wheel bearing replaced... hit rain about an hour out of Mitchell... had a great dinner (and breakfast) at the truck stop across the parking lot from the Thunderbird Motel. Skipped the Corn Palace. Took the scenic loop through the Badlands... just as desolate and beautiful as I remembered - but MUCH hotter than last time. Had lunch in Wall, then beat feet to our base in Spearfish.

Did Custer NP, Needles Highway... was accosted by a pack of "wild" donkeys and the BF drove his bike into the side of the mountain. Glad he lost it on the "inside" of the curve - otherwise, we'd still be looking for him in the 60' gorge on the other side.

Headed out to Little Big Horn the next day... 212 through Belle Fourche and up into MT. I love the wide-open country... Nothing like pulling over, shutting off the bikes and not hearing/seeing another man-made sight/sound anywhere. Did some of the local museums and spent the night one town past the LBH exit just outside the Crow reservation. People in MT are even nicer than IA.

Next day, did LBH, including a bus tour with narrative by students from the Crow community college. Spent half an hour afterward talking with the guides... I highly recommend this to anyone going out there. $8 and very well spent. Checked out some more local museums before jumping on 90 to return to SD.

After that, we spent a day going thru Sturgis/Deadwood/Hill City (yawn) getting our obligatory patches/pins/t-shirts and ice cream. Went through Spearfish Canyon a few times more... one of my favorite places on earth.

Wednesday night was dinner in a 4-star restaurant in Spearfish... then decided to head back home on Thursday afternoon. Raced a huge thunderstorm across SD and into Mitchell... slept in the next morning, leaving just ahead of another ginormous storm - the 'Barge sings sweet at 100 mph but SUCKS gas like nobody's business... rest of the day was leisurely, HOT and sunny. Spent the night in LaCrosse and (do you see a pattern here) was woken up by a raging thunderstorm the next morning. We hit the road around noon and were back in River Grove by 5:30.

Already making plans for next year... including much more time spent in MT and western WY (Yellowstone beckons...)

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Had a great time. On our way out one of our pack lost a front brake pad and bolt due to some shitty local dealer maintanence. Was lucky, since it was Sunday, that Kutters HD in Janesville, Wi. was open and had the parts. Back on the road in 30 minutes. Missed all the rain though we thought we were gonna get it. We suited up just in case but I guess that scared the rain away. Stayed the night in Sioux Falls. he next day we jamed into Spearfish. Arrived at around 4 pm. We were lucky and scored a brand spankin' new 2800 sq ft home with a massive log porch and a hot tub for 4 days for $200 a day. There were 8 of us so we only paid $100 bucks apiece. That'll never happen again. Rode to Custer NP, Needles, Spearfish Canyon, Huelet and Devils Tower on wednesday, Cheyenne Crossing, Keystone, Deadwood (won a bucket full of nickles and quarters) and of course Sturgis. Ran into G. Gordon Liddy at the 4 Aces in Deadwood and introduced myself. He's a pretty easy goin' guy and easy to talk to while we waited in line for the buffet. Left on Friday morning, 11:00 ish, after a big breakfast at Perkins in Spearfish. Decided to just get home as soon as possible so I rode all through the day and night. Got home around 6:00 am Saturday. Put on a ton of miles and had a chance to get used to the new garbage scow, with a passenger, on some very twisty roads (Custer and Needles especially). I'm already jonesn' for next year.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Man! Sounds like a good trip!

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode