How miles on a set of tires? - touring bike - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Done got slower

Sportbike: '03 Speed Triple
Years Riding: quite a few (I'm getting old)
How you found us: guy at motorcycle shop

How miles on a set of tires? - touring bike

I'm considering picking up a used Road King. The bike has a little over 9000 miles and the owner says the tires are in very good condition (original tires). The bike is not local so I'm trying to figure out as much as possible before making a trip to look at it. To me that (9000 miles) seem like a lot of miles but perhaps for a touring bike it's not that much? Also, anyone know how much I'd be looking at to have new rubber put on a Road King? (I'd be taking it to a dealership).

Thanks

Frank

- Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

I have stretched touring Dunlops to ~15K.

Would guess replacement cost in the 300-ish Range.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Yea i was told when I had my HD that 15K is the norm.

Just call a dealership to find out how much they charge to change out tires instead of getting a guess

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Done got slower

Thanks for the info! ...at least it sounds like I wouldn't have to change the tires right after bringing it home. I'll call the dealer if I get a little more serious about this but was just curious as to a ballpark figure.

- Frank
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 AM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

I've seen guys on HD touring models who are easy on tires & pay close attention to pressures get 12k - 15k out of rears & closer to 20k from fronts. I think Dunlop D402 & D402F are OEM.

With a more aggressive rider or less than ideal pressures, a rear could very well be shot by 6 to 8k though.

As for cost, I suspect HD dealers would quote you $300 to $400 for 2 new tires mounted with tax. I can vary a bit depending on if the wheels are spoked (need tubes) or cast (tubeless), & whether or not you want white walls.

Last time I checked with Wild Fire in Villa Park, they did free mounting if you bought from them & the tires were just under 3 bones.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

In addition to tread, check the manufacture dates on the tires. If they are very old (more than 5 years), you might keep a good eye on them for signs of failure, delamination, etc. Also, no matter the age of the tire, check carefully for dry rot (cracks that often are in the grooves of the tread), failure to maintain pressure, etc. and replace immediately if you see any troubles.

Craig
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Done got slower

Thanks again all..... if I get the bike I will just plan to go ahead and replace the tires soon after regardless (it's an '04 with original tires) so I'll just factor that into my initial out of pocket expense.

edit: I also called a dealer ship (IL HD) today and they quoted me a $378 for tires and labor (but also said there would be a charge for weights but he wasn't sure amount..approx $15).

- Frank

Last edited by chicagoavatar; 05-11-2009 at 07:23 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

If you get serious about buying this bike, check around with the dealers in the area are willing to work on it. Some dealers have gotten selective on how old a bike they are willing to work on. Some dealers will only work on older bikes if they are known to them and the bike has a history of being worked on in their shop. Some dealers won't work on anything that's 10 years old or older. The policy varies from dealer to dealer. The upside is that there are numerous independant shops that specialize in HD's that won't turn you away no matter how old your bike is...and most times things like tires are often had cheaper from them.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 PM

Sportbike: ZRX 1100
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: google

What year is the R/K? I wouldn't try to get another 6000miles out of ten year old tires. I will say the stock HD dunlops are pretty durable tires and pretty good in the rain.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Done got slower

The bike is an '04 Road King Custom and I did win the auction (hoping to pick it up from down by Indy on Monday) so I guess I need to start growing my beer belly ASAP I spoke with the owner again today and he said the tires looked good which kinda surprise me since my dad, who rides elelectra glide classic, said he only gets 8000 miles on a rear tire. We'll see but I'll probably spring for some new rubber soon regardless of how they look.

The sad part of this deal is that my '05 ZX6R is going to have to go to make room in the garage, so if anyone is interested let me know (bike is super clean and low miles...mostly street but handful of beginner/intermediate track days). I haven't figured out an asking price yet but I will price it fairly to sell...I need to get it back into street plastics first though (it's currently in race glass).

- Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode