Shovelhead question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

General Cruiser Discussion This is a forum for all you Cruiser owners in the chicagoland area. We dont discriminate here at CLSB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Shovelhead question

How hard would it be to fit a modern Evolution engine in this frame? Is this worth his asking price?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/1174351891.html

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
depends.... i doubt its be terribly difficult as the engine design hasnt vastly changed in 70+ years...

I do have some experience fitting a newer motor into an older frame, putting in engine mounts wouldnt be difficult, I worry more about the hernia from moving the motor around when fitting it

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

The price on the frame is OK considering he is offering clean paper with it. I'd haggle. S&S has an engine that would go well...the question is, if you go with an Evo or a TwinCam would be whether the rubber mounting would be usable. I'm not sure on that one.
If I was going to build a bike on that frame I'd go with an S&S engine and a 5 or 6 speed gearbox. You could probably build a fine bike out of various catalogs for a little less than what a new HD would cost...you could save alot of green by doing swap meets for things like seat, tanks,forks & shocks and various componants like that. I'd go new for things like a carb and electrics. If you like working on motorcycles and have a desire to build one from the ground up that frame could be a good starting point, assuming it's not tweaked or cracked or has amateur welded repairs.
Get yourself a J&P Cycles vintage catalog and you can check things out and learn a bit about what fits that frame and what would and wouldn't work, plus they sell the S&S engines. The catalog is free and usually available at most swap meets, or call them and they'll send you one.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 05-21-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 AM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
How hard would it be to fit a modern Evolution engine in this frame? Is this worth his asking price?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/1174351891.html
Why would you bother? You could probably pick up an evo frame cheaper than a shovel frame right now. Don't ruin an old bike by putting a modern engine in it. Just pick up an evo frame if you want that style of engine,. I think the price is kinda high considering it is not including anything else like the swingarm and such.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
The price on the frame is OK considering he is offering clean paper with it. I'd haggle. S&S has an engine that would go well...the question is, if you go with an Evo or a TwinCam would be whether the rubber mounting would be usable. I'm not sure on that one.
If I was going to build a bike on that frame I'd go with an S&S engine and a 5 or 6 speed gearbox. You could probably build a fine bike out of various catalogs for a little less than what a new HD would cost...you could save alot of green by doing swap meets for things like seat, tanks,forks & shocks and various componants like that. I'd go new for things like a carb and electrics. If you like working on motorcycles and have a desire to build one from the ground up that frame could be a good starting point, assuming it's not tweaked or cracked or has amateur welded repairs.
Get yourself a J&P Cycles vintage catalog and you can check things out and learn a bit about what fits that frame and what would and wouldn't work, plus they sell the S&S engines. The catalog is free and usually available at most swap meets, or call them and they'll send you one.
Good advice, I'll look at the catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomoto View Post
Why would you bother? You could probably pick up an evo frame cheaper than a shovel frame right now. Don't ruin an old bike by putting a modern engine in it. Just pick up an evo frame if you want that style of engine,. I think the price is kinda high considering it is not including anything else like the swingarm and such.
I didn't realize the Evo frames were cheaper, I'll probably go that route then. FWIW, that ad does include the Swingarm but nothing else.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode