Stop Online Piracy Act - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

World news and Politics Discussions This is the place for all discussions about whats going on in the news and all of those political debates so many of us love to have.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: Google

Stop Online Piracy Act

If you haven't read up on this bullshit, please check it out. It could affect this board or any other social website or board you frequent. There is tons of news and information out there, but I think this article does a good job of summing things up

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/tom...ate,14393.html

The key quote to take away from it is as follows, and the same situation could play out here (admittedly not as likely)

Quote:
As an example, imagine a user posts a video clip to the Tom’s Community of a step-by-step guide on how to set up water cooling on an overclocked i7 CPU. Playing in the background behind the voiceover is “Derezzed” by Daft Punk. The studio representing Daft Punk could issue a complaint, without being required to notify us or request a take-down. Tom’s Hardware would be liable and prosecuted solely on a good faith assertion of the copyright owner, without notification, with the site operators subject to possible jail time for not preventing the video from being posted. In short order, the http://www.tomshardware.com/ domain in the United States would no longer resolve to our servers and visitors attempting to come to Tom’s Hardware would be redirected to a “This site under review for piracy/copyright violations” page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

And this will kill networking jobs. Everyone will start buying servers in foreign countries where they don't give a fawk about copyright laws.

I'm sure Russia and China might say fawk against being anti human rights and setup servers and sell it to US customers.

I heard filesharing is getting looked at even more. The internet providers don't care, but they have to follow the law if they get complaints.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 AM

wait till the awesomeness of the internet is stopped too.

no more being racist, saying funny shiet, telling someone to fawk off, and making a picture of odyssey looking ghey next to a motorcycle, wait, thats a real picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 AM
TMC

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders

I got an email from my hosting company stating their position against this just this week. I'm on board with them but I don't think too many in the government understand what they are doing and fear that this or some form of it will go through. Write your people before it's too late.

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
And this will kill networking jobs. Everyone will start buying servers in foreign countries where they don't give a fawk about copyright laws.

I'm sure Russia and China might say fawk against being anti human rights and setup servers and sell it to US customers.

I heard filesharing is getting looked at even more. The internet providers don't care, but they have to follow the law if they get complaints.
Because they do it at the DNS level, they can take sites based in other countries too. There are ways around it, but the principle of it all is utter bullshit.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

so many people don't understand the repercussions of this if it passes.

GoDaddy was all for it until their customers told them what a dumbass they were and started xfering a whole bunch of domains away from them over their support for this legislation. They've since backpeddled and pulled their support away from SOPA.

http://tidbits.com/article/12692?rss

Most of the big names that created the Internet and other principle technologies are also trying to address Congress to stop this and it's not going well.

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogvie...gislation.html
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
So this song I just played, it's from the '90's and it sums up this new act. Here is the last verse of it:

They'll tell you - don't do that
They'll try and tell you - it's for your own good
Big Mother is watching you
Mother's protecting you
Mommy knows what's right for you...
Goodbye Freedom, Hello Mom
The Bill of Rights just disappeared
There it is - whoops it's gone!
All your rights just disappeared
Everybody stay calm.

Name the song and band haha

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
So this song I just played, it's from the '90's and it sums up this new act. Here is the last verse of it:

They'll tell you - don't do that
They'll try and tell you - it's for your own good
Big Mother is watching you
Mother's protecting you
Mommy knows what's right for you...
The Bill of Rights just disappeared
There it is - whoops it's gone!
All your rights just disappeared
Everybody stay calm.

Name the song and band haha
Goodbye Freedom by Scatterbrain?

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Can I get an I told you so? welcome to typical democrat micro managing of your life.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Some one explain to me in 3rd grade terms what all this means, please?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
it means people who vote for democrats, need to be told "I told you so"

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Mmmmmkaaaaaaaaaaay?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Some one explain to me in 3rd grade terms what all this means, please?
Basically if someone posts something thats copyrighted (or claimed to be) on a forum, youtube, facebook, etc then the web site would be shut down instead of just having it removed and the site owner/operator could face jail time. No warnings, no notices.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 PM
stuck in 6th gear

tony is gonna be in biiiiiiiig trouble if this passes

lulz
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Bug there's an example in the very first post in this thread
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Anyone on here actually read the actual bill?
Here is the section about copyright infringement:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...bc8nnd:e63304:

SEC. 201. STREAMING OF COPYRIGHTED WORKS IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL LAW.

(a) Title 17 Amendments- Section 506(a) of title 17, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

`(a) Criminal Infringement-

`(1) IN GENERAL- Any person who willfully infringes a copyright shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, if the infringement was committed--

`(A) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain;

`(B) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, or by the public performance by means of digital transmission, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works, when the total retail value of the copies or phonorecords, or of the public performances, is more than $1,000; or

`(C) by the distribution or public performance of a work being prepared for commercial dissemination, by making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work was intended for commercial dissemination.

`(2) EVIDENCE- For purposes of this subsection, evidence of reproduction, distribution, or public performance of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to establish willful infringement of a copyright.

`(3) DEFINITION- In this subsection, the term `work being prepared for commercial dissemination' means--

`(A) a computer program, a musical work, a motion picture or other audiovisual work, or a sound recording, if, at the time of unauthorized distribution or public performance--

`(i)(I) the copyright owner has a reasonable expectation of commercial distribution; and

`(II) the copies or phonorecords of the work have not been commercially distributed in the United States by or with the authorization of the copyright owner; or

`(ii)(I) the copyright owner does not intend to offer copies of the work for commercial distribution but has a reasonable expectation of other forms of commercial dissemination of the work; and

`(II) the work has not been commercially disseminated to the public in the United States by or with the authorization of the copyright owner;

`(B) a motion picture, if, at the time of unauthorized distribution or public performance, the motion picture--

`(i)(I) has been made available for viewing in a motion picture exhibition facility; and

`(II) has not been made available in copies for sale to the general public in the United States by or with the authorization of the copyright owner in a format intended to permit viewing outside a motion picture exhibition facility; or

`(ii) had not been commercially disseminated to the public in the United States by or with the authorization of the copyright owner more than 24 hours before the unauthorized distribution or public performance.'.

(b) Title 18 Amendments- Section 2319 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subsection (b)(1), by striking `during any 180-day period' and all that follows and insert `of at least 10 copies or phonorecords, or of at least 10 public performances by means of digital transmission, of 1 or more copyrighted works, during any 180-day period, which have a total retail value of more than $2,500;';

(2) in subsection (c)--

(A) in paragraph (1), by striking `of 10 or more copies or phonorecords' and all that follows and inserting `including by electronic means, of at least 10 copies or phonorecords, or of at least 10 public performances by means of digital transmission, of 1 or more copyrighted works, during any 180-day period, which have a total retail value of more than $2,500;'; and

(B) in paragraph (3), by striking `if the offense' and all that follows and inserting `in any other case;';

(3) in subsection (d)(4), by striking `under paragraph (2)' and inserting `committed for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain under subsection (a)';

(4) in subsection (f)--

(A) by amending paragraph (2) to read as follows:

`(2) the terms `reproduction', `distribution', and `public performance' refer to the exclusive rights of a copyright owner under paragraphs (1), (3), (4), and (6), respectively, of section 106 (relating to exclusive rights in copyrighted works), as limited by sections 107 through 122, of title 17; and';

(B) in paragraph (3), by striking `; and' and inserting a period; and

(C) by striking paragraph (4); and

(5) by adding at the end the following new subsection:

`(g) Evidence of Total Retail Value- For purposes of this section and section 506(a) of title 17, total retail value may be shown by evidence of--

`(1) the total retail price that persons receiving the reproductions, distributions, or public performances constituting the offense would have paid to receive such reproductions, distributions, or public performances lawfully;

`(2) the total economic value of the reproductions, distributions, or public performances to the infringer or to the copyright owner, as shown by evidence of fee, advertising, or other revenue that was received by the person who commits the offense, or that the copyright owner would have been entitled to receive had such reproductions, distributions, or public performances been offered lawfully; or

`(3) the total fair market value of licenses to offer the type of reproductions, distributions, or public performances constituting the offense.'.

(c) Rule of Construction- Any person acting with a good faith reasonable basis in law to believe that the person's conduct is lawful shall not be considered to have acted willfully for purposes of the amendments made by this section. Such person includes, but is not limited to, a person engaged in conduct forming the basis of a bona fide commercial dispute over the scope of existence of a contract or license governing such conduct where such person has a reasonable basis in law to believe that such conduct is noninfringing. Nothing in this subsection shall affect the application or interpretation of the willfulness requirement in any other provision of civil or criminal law.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
tony is gonna be in biiiiiiiig trouble if this passes

lulz

Tony will probably have to do 100 life sentences, while i get released for good behavior, because I was convicted for wearing people skins.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
Anyone on here actually read the actual bill?

Why the fuk would we do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
it means people who vote for democrats, need to be told "I told you so"
It was introduced by a republican

Last edited by Trinitrogen; 01-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Lets cut to the chase...how does this effect my ability to download porn?
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Sportbike: 06 Ninja zx636
Years Riding: 6 years
How you found us: no

Send a message via AIM to Richfiero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
Thec can block any website they want!

06 Sunburst Orange Ninja Zx6r, 06 1250 Sportster.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
Your going to have to pay for it, what kind of world would that be?
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitrogen View Post
Your going to have to pay for it, what kind of world would that be?
A sick, sick world.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Haven't done the research to confirm this yet:

http://www.infowars.com/obama-signs-...rse-than-sopa/

Things are ugly in Poland over ACTA

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

But yet they dont put an effort to stop to spammers, scam artists and illegal telemarkerter calls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode