MSNBC treading the occupy line - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

World news and Politics Discussions This is the place for all discussions about whats going on in the news and all of those political debates so many of us love to have.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
MSNBC treading the occupy line

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_...dent-loan-debt

This article clearly is a piece designed to insight anger in the minds of the occupy wall street group. If you can't afford to go to school and work the job you want do something different. Just because you are working in social work doesn't mean you shouldn't have to bear the weight of the student loans that you agreed to pay back when you took them out in the first place.

These types of complaints do nothing but anger me towards the opinions of the entitled of this country. A librarian doesn't make much money compared to the amount of education that they need. This means we need to reform the way libraries work. In business we would either raise the pay level of librarians, or create a system that allowed people with less education to work in these types of jobs.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
It's all a ploy aimed at drumming up support for the Democrat Party. Both sides do it of course to some extent, but this whole movement has a giant backfire at its end. Creating envy, jealousy amongst the nation's people will do little but create hostility. It's a giant blameshift, aimed at pointing the finger anywhere but Washington...which is where of course the real problems lay

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

What I find interesting is that people take shit load of student loans and study something that barely has any ROI, like psychology to become a social worker or a history major.

A friend of mine has $100,000+ in student loan debt. She traveled to Africa, India and Europe during her time as a student and is now working as a social worker in Bronx, complaining about her financial status (income to debt ratio) and her miserable life as a social worker.

Yeah, times are bad, but you have to be smart about what field you get into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerk View Post
...Washington...which is where of course the real problems lay
I don't agree with you. It isn't Washington's fault, well not entirely. The problem with America, is American's. We as a country have fed ourselves a culture based on expectations of wealth and comfort, and none of the work / discomfort that is associated with those things. We have raised our children to be intolerant of work that is demeaning. We have force fed shows like "cribs" to show what the upper crust lives like, and with places like Walmart, made it easy for those that really can't afford things, to buy things they can't afford.

As a country we have come to depend wholly on credit. Nobody pays for anything anymore. We finance our cars for 6+ years, our homes for 30+, our educations for 20+. We finance our electronics, our cloths, etc.

Everybody has the American dream, and those that are not smart enough / driven enough / willing enough to work for it, believe they are still entitled to it regardless.

America doesn't get the politics and policy it needs, it gets the politicians and policy it deserves. If we want to fix this country, we need to start by fixing our expectations as a country.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Grid Marshall.

Oh yeah well there I agree with you Chris. I was referring more to the intent of the political support of "the movement"...a movement which of course has been supported if not largely created by Washington.

As for the people that the rhetoric preys on, they're of course predominantly younger, brought up in the "it's not your fault, everyone is special, everyone's a winner" genre. They've been taught to expect success rather than earning it. The real world of course will bitch slap you right across the face...most of us had dealt with something similar along the way to adult hood, many of these people simply have not and so they have a lot of trouble dealing with things when they don't go their way.

Talk to anyone that works with the younger generation. They typically (not all of course) have problems with focus and constructive criticism. Not good traits to carry while being bitch slapped by the real world

Tom

Quote:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
What I find interesting is that people take shit load of student loans and study something that barely has any ROI, like psychology to become a social worker or a history major.

A friend of mine has $100,000+ in student loan debt. She traveled to Africa, India and Europe during her time as a student and is now working as a social worker in Bronx, complaining about her financial status (income to debt ratio) and her miserable life as a social worker.

This is exactly right .....

An article about people that made poor plans and are pissed with poor results.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM

Sportbike: 2011 Ducati 848 EVO
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: my alien abductor

I think the price of college education is getting a bit ridiculous. That being said Gone in 3 brought up a good point on the ROI. I think the college students today have a sense of intitlement. They need to remember, just because they can get into a school doesnt mean its the best choice.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Grid Marshall.

College prices are definitely ridiculous, but so is crying foul after you agree to take someone else's money...when they simply ask you to pay it back

Tom

Quote:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:26 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Quote:

I wonder if your friend is living within the means that her chosen field provides or if she complains because she wants all the perks that she can't afford? I mean...and this may or may not be the case in your friend's situation, I see way too many people who make the choice to be "noble" but then don't want to live with the sacrifices that go with that choice. You can't expect to live like an investment banker when you've chosen to be a social worker. Somehow the idea that everyone deserves to live like royalty just because they were born in the USA regardless of what you do or what effort you make has become the belief of too many.
The entitlement mentality...It truly is what is destroying our country!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:

Remember what you were told in Grade School....... "You can grow up to be anything you want, an Astronaut, President, a Doctor, etc." Fluff to keep kids interested in school.

High School was "What do you like to do? Reading, you should go to college and be a lit major. Math, you should go to college to be a math professor." The closest it got to being real, was "Geez your grades suck but your smart, you like working on cars, you should get a tech degree and be a mechanic."

Never, not even once in school did someone discuss during college or career days what the best ROI was for further schooling. Sure, a doctor, lawyer, engineer makes tons of money (everyone wants to be that and have money)......... but you never had someone connect the dots between a teacher making jack, but having the same investment in college tuition as an engineering major. Or a doctor having 8 years of school, $200K in debt, and then years in the trenches making jack before finally getting paid well and paying off debt.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Quote:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
I wonder if your friend is living within the means that her chosen field provides or if she complains because she wants all the perks that she can't afford? ....

You can't expect to live like an investment banker when you've chosen to be a social worker.
Caviar taste on a Tuna salary.

Her rent is $1,100. She has nearly all the amenities in her apartment.
Goes out drinking and partying on the weekends.

Doesn't have a car because she lives in NYC.
But lives a relatively modestly and doesn't glamorize with clothing and expensive make up like most 25+ y/o chicks.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Goes out drinking and partying on the weekends.

she must be a liberal. We conservatives show repect to our savior Jesus Christ by not getting all plastered and sinning like Jersey shore.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 AM

She probably makes 1/3 or 1/4 of what I make. And even then I don't spend as much as her on non-essential items & services. Not to mention my outstanding student loan is $1,000, not $100,000.

So go figure.

You make sacrifices now so you have a better life later. This is something essential that most parents in this country do not discuss at the dinner table anymore.

Instead its about what daddy's little daughter will wear to Lady Gaga's concert or that Emily has killer stilettos that your daughter must totally get!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 AM

And I haven't taken a formal vacation in the last 2 years because I was focusing on my career.

Sorry to vent, but these kids with entitlement mentality piss me off. Not to mention that I'm 25.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Majority of people that do "art" and "social" degrees are dumb liberals in the first place. Shouldn't be suprised if they are dumb to rack up huge amounts of student loans.

You can't teach a liberal common sense. And they believe in self entitlement and unions(unions are okay to protect workers)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode