Republicans: proud of being stupid! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

World news and Politics Discussions This is the place for all discussions about whats going on in the news and all of those political debates so many of us love to have.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Republicans: proud of being stupid!

This is a new level of stupidity in politics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjbJOSwq3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

How about retitling it Santorum: proud of being stupid!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Sensibility is not really my thing here..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Gotta be honest here, your exactly what he's talking about. Are saying everyone who doesn't go to college is stupid? theres a whole middle class of people who go to work everyday in skilled trades that are anything but stupid, they just chose to work with their hands for a living and have the skills to do so. After all, the supposedly smart people who went to college need to have someone to call when they cant figure out how to solder a pipe or replace an outlet. You wonder why the middle class is disappearing, its the liberal elite educators telling every one they NEED to go to college. in the mean time theres a shortage of skilled labor in this country. Obama is being a snob in my opinion, college is a choice, so is vocational school or apprenticeships.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
^^Bingo.

$4/gal gas is the final nail for the Obama re-election campaign anyways. Yay for business investment, economic growth and resurgence in the new year!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Gotta be honest here, your exactly what he's talking about. Are saying everyone who doesn't go to college is stupid? theres a whole middle class of people who go to work everyday in skilled trades that are anything but stupid, they just chose to work with their hands for a living and have the skills to do so. After all, the supposedly smart people who went to college need to have someone to call when they cant figure out how to solder a pipe or replace an outlet. You wonder why the middle class is disappearing, its the liberal elite educators telling every one they NEED to go to college. in the mean time theres a shortage of skilled labor in this country. Obama is being a snob in my opinion, college is a choice, so is vocational school or apprenticeships.
this is exactly what my g/f whom is a teacher thinks.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:

THIS

End result? bunch of OWS thinkingthey are entitled jobs
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

<------- NO college degree.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
How ever do you function on a day to day basis without help from the almighty hand of big government!?

Tom

Quote:
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerk View Post
$4/gal gas is the final nail for the Obama re-election campaign anyways. Yay for business investment, economic growth and resurgence in the new year!
You're probably correct, but that won't bring the price of gas down any if the US and world economy really does start to run well again. In the face of that kind of world demand, gas will shoot past $5 and keep going, and no amount of pipeline or drilling will make any difference.

Craig
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
You're probably correct, but that won't bring the price of gas down any if the US and world economy really does start to run well again. In the face of that kind of world demand, gas will shoot past $5 and keep going, and no amount of pipeline or drilling will make any difference.
Disagree. That's like saying domestic food prices will skyrocket because global demand for it goes up, despite that fact that we produce most of our food nationally. That of course is not what happens, nor would it be the gas were we to expand, drastically, our domestic production of energy. It's a fallacy produced by people against such directions in an effort to minimize the reasons for doing so in the first place.

Tom

Quote:
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
annnd we are all under the impression the gas market is really a market and not a racket. tgoes up a dollar every spring, it goes up till people and the news media make it a big story then it drops down to a level where people stop screaming about it. it will jump to almost 5 by early summer, that way when they drop it back down to the low 4's and hold it there to make obscene profits, we won't bitch. next summer, almost 6, then drop to low 5's

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Disagree. That's like saying domestic food prices will skyrocket because global demand for it goes up, despite that fact that we produce most of our food nationally. That of course is not what happens, nor would it be the gas were we to expand, drastically, our domestic production of energy. It's a fallacy produced by people against such directions in an effort to minimize the reasons for doing so in the first place.

That's exactly what happens. If food demand goes up, prices go up. These are commodities traded on the world market. World demand (and speculation by traders) sets the price. the reason grocery store prices don't change that much is that unlike oil, the cost of the raw material is a small fraction of the finished goods price.

In the case of Oil, we can't possibly increase the supply fast enough to keep up with demand (we have neither the reserves, or the means to produce enough fossil fuels), so the price will continue to rise, no matter what.

Food prices are driven by trading here in Chicago, Oil prices by trading in London and New York, no matter where the commodity is produced or consumed.

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 02-27-2012 at 11:33 PM.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
annnd we are all under the impression the gas market is really a market and not a racket. tgoes up a dollar every spring, it goes up till people and the news media make it a big story then it drops down to a level where people stop screaming about it. it will jump to almost 5 by early summer, that way when they drop it back down to the low 4's and hold it there to make obscene profits, we won't bitch. next summer, almost 6, then drop to low 5's
Yep, thank the traders and speculators for most of that.

Craig
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Grid Marshall.

I'm honestly not having this debate again. To purport that increasing, drastically, supply locally in the US would not lower gas prices and in so doing prices on everything by a wide margin is quite simply to deny simply economics. This is fact. It is not debatable.

Are you honestly trying to contend that the price of a barrel of crude is not impacted by domestic production? Seriously? Jaw dropping.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!!!

Tom

Quote:

Last edited by Cerk; 02-27-2012 at 11:39 PM.
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I'm honestly not having this debate again. To purport that increasing, drastically, supply locally in the US would not lower gas prices and in so doing prices on everything by a wide margin is quite simply to deny simply economics. This is fact. It is not debatable.

Are you honestly trying to contend that the price of a barrel of crude is not impacted by domestic production? Seriously? Jaw dropping.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!!!
Nope. You have again missed my point. There is no way the US can, in the short term (less than 5 years) increase domestic production enough to have any appreciable impact on crude prices. Period.

Craig
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Grid Marshall.

That's strange, because that's precisely what releasing the reserves did just a few years back.

To give you an idea of the impact of supply (capacity) and demand in the oil markets:

Weird, that looks eerily similar to a supply and demand chart...except for that sharp dip in '08-'09, what happened there??...and what is basically a full history of crude trading outlined quite well and is actually quite interesting!:

http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm

Again, to contend that increasing supply locally would not decrease prices both at home and abroad is just goofy. I mean really, it just doesn't get any more basic than that.

An obligatory as always btw.

Tom

Quote:

Last edited by Cerk; 02-28-2012 at 12:08 AM.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 AM

Not contending that the laws of supply and demand don't apply. Actually, I'm arguing that we can't control the law of supply and demand.

However, a short term blip in supply (as in releasing from the strategic reserve) or demand (as in the recession) won't significantly affect market prices in the long term.

In short, there is nothing anyone can do in the short term to prevent a significant rise int eh price of oil, because production (foreign and domestic) cannot rise fast enough to keep up with demand in the short term (which I see as a 5 year period).

Now, in the long term, a lot can be done to deal with both supply and demand sides of the equation. However, no politician I have ever heard of has the stones to do anything to help significantly in that respect

And of course,

Again we seem to be arguing the same side of the coin, from different perspectives.

EDIT: I see short term energy future as 5 years. Long term as more than 10 years. Month to month or even quarter to quarter or half to half price fluctuations are, in the big picture, insignificant. (But they still hurt my pocket when they are upward ones.)

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 02-28-2012 at 12:27 AM.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Grid Marshall.

^^Ha, agreed! Funny how that always seems to happen. They should just put us and a few more likeminds in Washington and get some sh!t done!

Tom

Quote:
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:28 AM

That would be an honor to do.

Not sure I can put up with the stupid enough to actually survive the ride, though. And given my past and present, I'm certainly not electable in the current political environment.

I can see the attack ads now.....

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 02-28-2012 at 12:33 AM.
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
in the mean time theres a shortage of skilled labor in this country. Obama is being a snob in my opinion, college is a choice, so is vocational school or apprenticeships.
There's a growing number of unskilled and uneducated workers in the US.
Out of 38 million kids in high school, roughly 3 million drop out every year.

Perhaps if they went to vocational school, apprenticeships or *college*, they can fill in that lacking skilled labor gap you're talking about.

That's what Obama wants.

I love how people in that crowd automatically boo anything associated with Obama's name. I wonder if Santorum said the same thing, but used Bush's name instead, would the crowd would have still booed?
post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
There's a growing number of unskilled and uneducated workers in the US.
Out of 38 million kids in high school, roughly 3 million drop out every year.
what does the drop out number have to do with anything? Is high school to expensive? oh wait it free. so what does that have to do with Obama forcing people to get a college education?

Quote:
Perhaps if they went to vocational school, apprenticeships or *college*, they can fill in that lacking skilled labor gap you're talking about.
That would be personal choice. You must go to a university and get a social degree which is worthless.

Quote:
I love how people in that crowd automatically boo anything associated with Obama's name. I wonder if Santorum said the same thing, but used Bush's name instead, would the crowd would have still booed?
You conspiracy theorists still havn't gotten passed George Bush yet?
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Gates and Zukerberg are also college drop outs. There are always exceptions.

The fact is that the average college grad has double the annual income as a non-grad. (http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/census...ollegepays.htm)

I find it hilarious that some people will boo just about everything this president does or says, even if its for the betterment of the nation.
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

our energy supply has been stymied by environmental radicals. if you are so concerned with how humans affect the planet then go fucking kill yourself. that will be one less person "raping" mother earth.

and the argument that it would take 5-6 years for newly drilled oil to come online is bullshit. it should have been done a long time ago and it would be in the supply chain.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Let's all clap for limiting educational possibilities. China and India love our admiration of stupidity. It = job security for them. Really got to love the parents in the crowd clapping to insure that their kids have the same or less opportunity than they did. I do not have kids but I sure as hell would not begrudge them if they were smarter than me or landed a better job making more $ due to a degree or talent I do not have.
This moron of course is putting a different spin on the presidents words. The president didn't say that he wants everyone to go to college, he wants everyone to have a chance to go if they want. He wants to make it more affordable so those that choose to go can do so with less financial burden. Even with loans some people cannot afford it. This high cost to play perpetuates poverty and people not being able to move up the social class ladder. Sure there are a few low income kids that are super smart or can play a sport so well that schools will give them a scholarship but what about the other 99%, if they work hard and have the grades it would be nice if they could afford college if they want to go. What if that person is the next one to find a cure for something? Wouldn't it be nice if they could afford higher education?
Do you need a 4 year degree, no. I got by with a 2 year one and do okay. Trades are great too, some folks in the trades make WAY more than college grads. Some folks in the trades have 4 year degrees too even though they may have not been needed. In other words, it did not hurt them. But to say that someone is a snob because they want to learn and arm themselves with extra skills to enter the workforce is just ignorant backwoods thinking. His other accusation is that college is pumping out atheist, I think that is his real scare about college.
The irony is that back in the 1500/1600's the Catholic church was one of the biggest sponsors of education and the arts. They ran all the schools and commissioned art, most people could not read or write except them and those educated by them. Now this guy is doing a 180 and viewing education as a threat to religion. This mentality of bashing education is as crazy as Arab leaders who forbid women from going to school. They do not need to learn anything new, just stay home and serve they do not need hopes or dreams of doing other things....... Knowledge = power. Keep people's opportunities limited and they must listen.

Under200
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

The gop had a slam dunk in the next election up until a few months ago. They seem determined to lose this thing by any means necessary

Eric
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky

Quote:
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Fact is ...... if you take an stupid, lazy, uninspired, unmotivated, unthinking individual and send them to college for a few years and they gain a degree.

You get a stupid, lazy, uninspired, unmotivated, unthinking individual with a degree.

Then they go occupy something and complain about their education debt.

Educated is educated, smart is smart..... there is a difference.

"College for everyone" is as foolish a dream as "home ownership for everyone".

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
...."College for everyone" is as foolish a dream as "home ownership for everyone". Tom
And look where thats gotten us!

PLUS:...If you want to produce more oil domestically all you need do is uncap some of the wells that have been shut for various reasons...conservation...environmental concerns that are no longer valid...etc. etc. etc. New drilling need not even be in the mix to drive down the wholesale price of sweet crude...which WOULD drive down the price at the pump IF the oil companies AND government would allow increases in refining and NOT export the oil to maximize profit.
I think it's a VERY GOOD idea to require ALL oil companies to sell a substantial percentage of crude produced here...HERE! That might actually lead to...ENERGY INDEPENDENCE!!!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post

Haha, come on man...Bush was easily as unpopular as Obama. It's all in the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post

"College for everyone" is as foolish a dream as "home ownership for everyone".

Tom
Exactly. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip, as they say.

Tom

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode