chicago to raise parking meters - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

World news and Politics Discussions This is the place for all discussions about whats going on in the news and all of those political debates so many of us love to have.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

chicago to raise parking meters

saw this on national news, didn't see anything on local, unless I've missed it.

Chicago is proposing a $6.50 an hour for parking meters(i guess). But i thought they sold the parking meters to a private company?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
saw this on national news, didn't see anything on local, unless I've missed it.

Chicago is proposing a $6.50 an hour for parking meters(i guess). But i thought they sold the parking meters to a private company?
You missed it, it was all over local news. This is not a proposal, this is part of the contract that Daley negotiated with the company that manages the meters. After this year's increase, future increases will be based on inflation. Either way sucks for people...the whole concept of "if we make it too expensive, they will use public transportation" is not panning out and businesses are suffering instead.

Greg

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

just another asshole move by a company trying to nickle and dime as much as they can. Hell it put us at the nations most expensive parking.

this is the same company chicago is fighting with over a 13 billion dollar bill they claim the city owes

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

pretty soon, it'll be cheaper to valet.

everywhere.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
just another asshole move by a company trying to nickle and dime as much as they can. Hell it put us at the nations most expensive parking.

this is the same company chicago is fighting with over a 13 billion dollar bill they claim the city owes
Kind of funny reading this comment on CLSB. Should the company provide freebies? A contract was signed, the demand is there, it's just business. Yes it sucks for consumers, but the city sold the rights to this revenue source.

Greg

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

The city can eat a bag 'o dicks!

Very few reasons to even go down there anymore. Everything is over crowded, over priced, over taxed, & a general PITA.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Kind of funny reading this comment on CLSB. Should the company provide freebies? A contract was signed, the demand is there, it's just business. Yes it sucks for consumers, but the city sold the rights to this revenue source.

WAT?

1. this is public property. which WE OWN as tax payers and being Americans.

2. So now tax payers are being taxes without representation. Giving money to a private company for public property usage.

3. you have a monopoly, unless you can find a parking garage.

4. (demand is there) so should people pay 20 an hour for parking? when does it stop?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

1. Driving is a privilege, not a right
2. you DO have representation: your alderman. Take it up with them.
4. if you can afford to park in an area for $20/hour, then go for it. But yes, it should be about demand and supply; eventually, the costs will be too great for the average citizen to handle and they'll either resort to using 'runners' while someone waits in the car (either parked illegally for free; or else driving around and causing congestion in that area), or worse; just not patronize that business anymore or that neighborhood anymore.

and, don't even get me started on 'Parking Permits' for neighborhoods; what a pain in the ass those things are.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashomon View Post
4. if you can afford to park in an area for $20/hour, then go for it. But yes, it should be about demand and supply; eventually, the costs will be too great for the average citizen to handle and they'll either resort to using 'runners' while someone waits in the car (either parked illegally for free; or else driving around and causing congestion in that area), or worse; just not patronize that business anymore or that neighborhood anymore.

and, don't even get me started on 'Parking Permits' for neighborhoods; what a pain in the ass those things are.

1. doesn't matter if its a right or not. You are selling out public property to private industry. It isn't like this is about parking garage parking.

2. Will the alderman tell a private company not to charge so much?

4. TDS ask a question. How high should it go?

I hardly call city parking spots supply and demand in a business aspect.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Elections have consequences.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

chicago, da future

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM

Sportbike: CBR1100XX & CBR1000F
Years Riding: I can't remember that far back.
How you found us: Member

Yes Daley sold the parking meters to a private company. They are now raising the rates which will drive more business out of the city. It was a stupid move to sell the meters. Just like when the state sold the lottery off. You have a consistent revenue stream that was pretty easy and cheap to run and both were bringing in a profit. One of Daley's family members ( A son) made some good coin in the parking meter deal in an adviser role. Big surprise right. The private meter company raised the rates when they got that contract and a lot of businesses in neighborhoods that rely on street parking have suffered. Many have gone out of business as people have gone to restaurants and stores that have parking lots instead of getting raped to park. The company that bought the meters is also charging the city millions when construction, street fairs or whatever causes street closures and they can't get revenue from the meters. Rahm is making a bunch of noise about auditing the contract to see if there is an out. It's just typical Rahm trying to get publicity like he tried with his doomed comments about Chic Fil A. Of course Rahm also thinks that you and I should send our kids to schools without armed guards but his kids go to school with armed guards. Go figure. Back to the meters. If you look at the stretch of Milwaukee ave North of Irving Pk road up to Lawrence there are a lot of empty businesses. Many of the ones that are still open are in strip malls with free parking. The strip malls are still pretty much full. It is felt that the parking meters had a big impact on that stretch. The parking meters are a constant source of discussion in the community meetings with the Alderman. The city also employs meter maids that patrol all of the streets looking for any and all parking, license and city sticker violations. When a group of us went to the Lockdown last summer for a bike outing we got to see them in action. It was around 10pm and the were walking up and down the street. Thankfully they didn't ticket any or our bikes. So the Democrat leadership is doing all that they can to drive business out of the city and are doing a darn good job of it too. I'm with Troy. I avoid the city these days. I live in the city and I try to only go places that have parking lots. Fortunately I live on the edge of the city and there are a lot of nearby restaurants and stores with parking lots.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Sportbike: CBR1100XX & CBR1000F
Years Riding: I can't remember that far back.
How you found us: Member

I attend community meetings. The alderman can't do anything about the parking meter deal now. There is a contract in place. Lots of folks were against it prior to the city selling it off. Not too many Alderman were though. They were looking for a pay day to help pay all the union bills that were killing the city budget. They were only concerned with the short term and getting re-elected. The city that works.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:57 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Who said anything about freebies? 6.50 an hour to park on a street come on that's unrealistic figuring most pay 9 to 10 hrs it would be cheaper just to let them ticket it for 50 bucks. In the end the rates don't cost me anything i never park on the streets.

Chicago just continues to push out residents and businesses with all their taxes and BS hence why they are broke. Hell if all the residents on the north side moved to the burbs chicago would plunder cause they surely are not collecting a dime from the suburban folks who come here to act the fool nor are they collecting from the shit heads on the west and south sides considering they dont have a pot to piss in.

Ironic how they are raising the rates but yet have over billed the city three times then what the city owes.

Quote:
The tab the city owes Chicago Parking Meters LLC now stands at $61 million and remains a bomb that can blow up Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s proposed 2013 budget. The Sun-Times reports that Chicago Parking Meters may be trying to soak the city for more than it actually owes.

City officials poring over the bills claim they’ve found $22 million in billing errors, and independent arbitrators are meeting with both sides to figure out how much the city actually owes CPM. It’s not as though Chicago Parking Meters needs the money; they’ve collected over $200 million in revenue since the 75-year deal hammered through by former Mayor Richard M. Daley went into effect in 2008. Parking rates in the Loop are set to increase further in January to $6.50 from the current $5.75, which will be another shock to people who choose to drive instead of take CTA.

The central issue in the dispute over how much the city owes CPM is who should be doing the calculations. The Emanuel administration's position on this is the city should be determining how much is owed for the unused meters. Yet according to the Reader’s Mick Dumke, the city is backing CPM in a 2009 lawsuit filed on behalf of the public interest group IVI-IPO that the parking meter deal illegally privatizes the government’s ability to set parking and traffic policy. In short: The city is arguing in favor of the deal in court even as Emanuel says publicly he’s looking for ways to keep the bills down.

Judge Richard J. Billik Jr. ruled in favor of CPM and the city, citing the $1.2 billion paid to the city up front as part of the deal and claiming citizens weren’t harmed by it. Never mind parking rates in the Loop will more than double what they were in 2008 in a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashomon View Post

TAKE IT UP WITH THE ALDERMAN LMFAO

They are on the take and cant even follow their own rules hence why they ARE PISSED at the IG for requesting their times sheets for a investigation. LOL why would it be a issue if they are legit

Id love to have parking permits in my area then it wouldn't be over whelmed but suburban folks parking on the residential streets just to hit the bars, would stop the random destruction of property caused by them etc etc the list is long

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Last edited by C2M; 12-28-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode