The Veto King! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

World news and Politics Discussions This is the place for all discussions about whats going on in the news and all of those political debates so many of us love to have.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

The Veto King!

Got to love it, he will approve $13.2 BILLION for shit we don't need (Especially the F-35), but won't spend money on health and education. What a tool. I think the just announced 21% rate increase coming up in January in the BCBS plan for my office is getting to me. It is getting to the point where I can't afford to give my employees the coverage I believe they deserve.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ducation-bill/

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush on Tuesday signed a big increase in the Pentagon's non-war budget, and vetoed a spending measure for health and education programs prized by congressional Democrats.

The president's action was announced on Air Force One as Bush flew to Indiana for a speech expected to criticize the Democratic-led Congress on its budget priorities.

More than any other spending bill, the $606 billion education and health measure defines the differences between Bush and majority Democrats. The House fell three votes short of winning a veto-proof margin as it sent the measure to Bush.

Since winning re-election, Bush has sought to cut the labor, health and education measure below the prior year level. But lawmakers have rejected the cuts. The budget that Bush presented in February sought almost $4 billion in cuts to this year's bill.

Democrats responded by adding $10 billion to Bush's request for the 2008 bill.

The $471 billion defense budget gives the Pentagon a 9 percent, $40 billion budget increase.

Much of the increase in the defense bill is devoted to procuring new and expensive weapons systems, including $6.3 billion for the next-generation F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, $2.8 billion for the Navy's DD(X) destroyer and $3.1 billion for the new Virginia-class attack submarine.

Huge procurement costs are driving the Pentagon budget ever upward. Once war costs are added in, the total defense budget will be significantly higher than during the typical Cold War year, even after adjusting for inflation.

Flame on all you Bush lovers.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

hire more illegals. i got some uncles that need a job
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Sportbike: 2005 busa; Husky 610E
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: Jesus

he's an asshole.

You know the Germans, if you don´t join the party they come and get you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
Got to love it, he will approve $13.2 BILLION for shit we don't need (Especially the F-35), but won't spend money on health and education. What a tool. I think the just announced 21% rate increase coming up in January in the BCBS plan for my office is getting to me. It is getting to the point where I can't afford to give my employees the coverage I believe they deserve.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ducation-bill/

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush on Tuesday signed a big increase in the Pentagon's non-war budget, and vetoed a spending measure for health and education programs prized by congressional Democrats.

The president's action was announced on Air Force One as Bush flew to Indiana for a speech expected to criticize the Democratic-led Congress on its budget priorities.

More than any other spending bill, the $606 billion education and health measure defines the differences between Bush and majority Democrats. The House fell three votes short of winning a veto-proof margin as it sent the measure to Bush.

Since winning re-election, Bush has sought to cut the labor, health and education measure below the prior year level. But lawmakers have rejected the cuts. The budget that Bush presented in February sought almost $4 billion in cuts to this year's bill.

Democrats responded by adding $10 billion to Bush's request for the 2008 bill.

The $471 billion defense budget gives the Pentagon a 9 percent, $40 billion budget increase.

Much of the increase in the defense bill is devoted to procuring new and expensive weapons systems, including $6.3 billion for the next-generation F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, $2.8 billion for the Navy's DD(X) destroyer and $3.1 billion for the new Virginia-class attack submarine.

Huge procurement costs are driving the Pentagon budget ever upward. Once war costs are added in, the total defense budget will be significantly higher than during the typical Cold War year, even after adjusting for inflation.

Flame on all you Bush lovers.
modern politics

further deviding the haves from the have nots.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Sportbike: Honda F6B
Years Riding: Since 98
How you found us: Friend, Motobeagle-RIP

What are you going to do when the Taliban is knocking on your front door?
GWB FTMFW!!!!
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasguzzler View Post
GWB FTMFW!!!!
offer them tea.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasguzzler View Post
GWB FTMFW!!!!
I'll give them my BCBS bill and watch them walk away laughing.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Bush rocks!

(I work in the defense industy)
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

This bill was an expensive Democrat ploy to put one of their own in the whitehouse. If Bush approved it he would have had to deal with the reprecussions of being way over budget and forcing tax increases. If he didn't approve he the Democrats can slam him for being insensitive to children, health care and education. Good for him for being fiscally responsible and throwing the veto.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Go Speed! Go!

Sportbike: Ducati Monster 620 ie Dark
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Another member

"Huge procurement costs are driving the Pentagon budget ever upward. Once war costs are added in, the total defense budget will be significantly higher than during the typical Cold War year, even after adjusting for inflation."

That's just plain BS, don't believe everything you read, Vietnam alone was enough to blow that comparison away. In fact, our GDP has grown so much that despite spending a larger amount as a percentage of GPD spending on defence has fallen.

Quick question for all you ignorant Bush haters: How much has our GDP increased since Bush took office? Anyone anyone... Beuhler? 18.6%! Hmm, he must not know anything about the economy if we've had an 18% GDP increase under his tenure (and created 8 million jobs). Anyone of you even know what our GDP is? Or what it's growth was last quarter? I bet half of you think we're in a recession. Just keep on listing to AP...
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

*cough* 9.81 trillion.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Go Speed! Go!

Good answer Arch, but not good because you're right, but because you're wrong. Very wrong. 3.5 Trillion too low for 2006.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957

There's a reason it's called politics If you think one political party is better than another Bruce....I suggest you stop putting Ketel One in the morning OJ, quit with the Sapphire for lunch and stop the on the way home from work. The only questions you should be asking...did I make more money this year? Did whatever bozo in charge let me keep more of it?

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Go Speed! Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post

The only questions you should be asking...did I make more money this year? Did whatever bozo in charge let me keep more of it?
Acutally, I believe those are the only questions that really matter to us on an individual level. Right on.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnova View Post
Good answer Arch, but not good because you're right, but because you're wrong. Very wrong. 3.5 Trillion too low for 2006.
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

9.1.. my bad.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPD...application=np

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/r...t/histdebt.htm

Everyone Exaggerates

Last edited by Arch; 11-13-2007 at 04:35 PM.
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Now put together a regression model including the data set of economic growth on a lagging basis to war spending and you'll see why I'm not concerned with a growing deficit during war time.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
Now put together a regression model including the data set of economic growth on a lagging basis to war spending and you'll see why I'm not concerned with a growing deficit during war time.
The last time I heard people talk about huge amounts of debt not being a bad thing, they very quickly filed for Chapter 11 protection. It's just money...

Everyone Exaggerates

post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
The last time I heard people talk about huge amounts of debt not being a bad thing, they very quickly filed for Chapter 11 protection. It's just money...

This is the government not individuals

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

No more Sapphire for this boy. It hurts the bones. I only pull it off the shelf for a crazy Canadian friend when he visits. Those guys... And the 70s are long gone.

Yes, I personally made a crapload more this year if buying 3 new cars and giving away one in the last 8 months didn't give it away. The Bozo had nothing to do with it. From a very real standpoint he already hurt a significant part of my business. I worked smart, worked my ass off and made some big commissions. I've left a good chunk in the corp to make sure my girls are going to be taken care of next year. The Bozo is going to cost me much more of it in the long haul.

For those still in denial of the costs, the following is hot off CNN. I worked the math on my part before. This is the cost on average:

"The committee calculated that the average cost of both wars for a family of four would be $20,900 from 2002 to 2008. The cost for a family of four would go up to $46,400 from 2002 to 2017, the committee said."

Since I'm in the top 5-10% of income, guess what my personal share is? From memory, since the top 10% pay about 70% of taxes I'm ballparking it at $324,800+ and I was upset when I thought it was about 1/2 of that... That is a lot of money. So much for having a good year. All because Bush is a liar.

Say what you want about political parties being the same. There is little doubt in my mind that we wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for the manipulations of Bush and Cheny. There never were WMD, there never was Taliban, there never was a credible threat from Iraq. We should have stopped in Afganistan. I couldn't give a rat's ass that Saddam was an evil dictator. There have been plenty before and are plenty floating around now. That in not justification for invasion. Bush and his administration has made the problem much worse. Plus he cost me and everyone in this country a crapload of moola anyway you cut it. Oh, lets not forget the great personal cost to the family's of our Vets even if they make it home uninjured.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The total economic impact of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is estimated at $1.6 trillion by 2009, a congressional committee said in a report released Tuesday.

A soldier with the 101st Airborne Division guards an oil refinery near Baiji, Iraq.

1 of 2 That is nearly double the $804 billion in direct war costs that the White House already has requested so far from Congress, the Democratically-controlled Joint Economic Committee said.

The total war costs could grow to $3.5 trillion by 2017, the committee estimated.

The higher total economic impact comes from, among other things, the cost of borrowing money to pay for the war, the lost productivity due to that borrowing, higher oil prices, and the cost of taking care of wounded veterans, the committee said.

The committee calculated that the average cost of both wars for a family of four would be $20,900 from 2002 to 2008. The cost for a family of four would go up to $46,400 from 2002 to 2017, the committee said.

"For every dollar we spend directly in Iraq, we're going to pay another dollar for the indirect, but immediate, costs of the war," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, said. "We of the baby boom generation and our children and grandchildren will be paying for this war for a very long time to come."

"We cannot afford this war -- $12 billion dollars a month?" Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, said. "We just can't. We can't continue." Watch Sen. Reid say 'we can't buy victory' »

Schumer said finances will become an significant factor in the ongoing debate regarding the course of the conflicts.

Don't Miss
Joint Ecocomic Committee report on total cost of wars (PDF)
Poll: Opposition to war at all-time high
CNN Spotlight: Iraq: Transition of Power
"The cost of the war is becoming the $800-billion-dollar gorilla in the room when it comes to opposition in the war," he said. "It is becoming the first thing that people mention after the loss of life when they're opposed to this war."

"And the people who mention it, many of them, are not people who were against the war in the past," Schumer added.

Republicans, who said they were not included in the preparation of the report, said the country has little choice but continue to bear the costs of the war.

"What's their alternative?" Don Stewart, a spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, asked of the Democrats. "Should we not fund veterans? Should we not send MRAPs [armored personal carriers] to Iraq? Not fund the GI Bill?

"And how much will oil cost if the progress in Iraq is reversed and al Qaeda shuts down the oil deliveries? What will that do to the markets?" Stewart asked.

Stewart called the report "a Democrat report, prepared by the head of the Democrat campaign committee" -- a reference to Schumer, the head of the party's effort to add Senate seats in 2008.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino accused the Democrats of releasing the report for partisan reasons and to "muddy the waters" after a series of positive reports from Iraq -- including a reduction in violence, increased economic capacity of the country, and signs of continued political reconciliation "from the bottom up."

"It's positive and we hope it is a trend that will take hold," Perino

post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
The Govt can only tax to get revenues

Cut taxes, down go revenues.

We're not cutting spending. Do you think we will?

How are we going to grow the revenue to pay for it?

Everyone Exaggerates

post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Quote:
Can you say Regan and the fall of the Soviet Union? It's only Rubles.

post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Go Speed! Go!

Arch, how did you end up posting or thinking national debt, I said GDP. I guess you just can't answer an honest clear question can you? If you write billing systems I want to know for who because you clearly didn't read that right, I'm checking my bills twice now!
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Arch, how did you end up posting or thinking national debt, I said GDP. I guess you just can't answer an honest clear question can you? If you write billing systems I want to know for who because you clearly didn't read that right, I'm checking my bills twice now!
Oh, so if the whole picture looks bad, or parts of it we ignore it??

That's like popping the cork on the Dom for a great EBITDA number while you're still hemorrhaging money from quarter to quarter, year after year sinking into a bigger eventual abyss. You keep right on celebrating though... Mission Accomplished!

Everyone Exaggerates

post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Go Speed! Go!

Arch, we all already know how "much" you know about economics and also we all clearly know that at 1.6% of GDP our deficit is far lower than most in the first world (in fact, it's way below the EU's limit and their own deficit). Again you're avoiding answering the question because you don't have a "smart" answer to it. It's ok, your second answer was even better and made my point better than I possibly could have. Thank you!
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Quick question for all you ignorant Bush haters: How much has our GDP increased since Bush took office? Anyone anyone... Beuhler? 18.6%! Hmm, he must not know anything about the economy if we've had an 18% GDP increase under his tenure (and created 8 million jobs). Anyone of you even know what our GDP is? Or what it's growth was last quarter? I bet half of you think we're in a recession. Just keep on listing to AP...
Is this before or after you backed out deficit spending by the US Government (which is what boosted GDP) and performed an over 900 billion dollar credit card debt adjustment to the figures (again, because this spending money that's not there tends to artificially boost these figures) ???

I just want to make sure we're talking about the same numbers before we go forward with this.

Also, do you consider a lost $75K+benefits job, but a created Walmart job paying $8/hr with no benefits to be a net job loss of 0 ?
In motorcycle terms, that's like taking your Ducati to a dealer for service, and they hand you back a 1979 backfiring Honda 400 Hawk.. because after all, a bike is a bike.

Again, just want to get the frame of reference right before proceeding...

Everyone Exaggerates

post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Go Speed! Go!

There is no proceeding, you already made my point for me. Thanks again, I couldn't have staged that better.
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
There is no proceeding, you already made my point for me. Thanks again, I couldn't have staged that better.
I thought you wanted to talk GDP, so let's talk GDP and the 'health' of the economy.

Please answer my questions.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Kal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
Got to love it, he will approve $13.2 BILLION for shit we don't need (Especially the F-35), but won't spend money on health and education.
So we don't need the F-35? I'm curious to hear your explanation why.

Tax payer money. That's what we are talking about when you state that "Bush won't spend money on health and education". It's tax payer money he spends to defend the constitution against enemies foreign and domestic. So having the F-35 is going to help do so.

Creating more welfare programs for the entitlement society that the Dems are breeding does nothing but redistribute wealth and bring us closer to socialism.
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
So we don't need the F-35? I'm curious to hear your explanation why.

Tax payer money. That's what we are talking about when you state that "Bush won't spend money on health and education". It's tax payer money he spends to defend the constitution against enemies foreign and domestic. So having the F-35 is going to help do so.

Creating more welfare programs for the entitlement society that the Dems are breeding does nothing but redistribute wealth and bring us closer to socialism.
Not to get off topic... Just really quick..
Troll or Moron, which is it?
I'm sure you're one of the two... Not sure which...
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Isn't that the global temperature chart too???

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode