Californians ban Gay marriage - Page 10 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

World news and Politics Discussions This is the place for all discussions about whats going on in the news and all of those political debates so many of us love to have.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Whether or not the state recognizes that commitment shouldn't matter.
How does it not matter? Civil unions aren't the same as marriage in the eyes of the federal government. Things like Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, health insurance, Medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, and immigration law are all affected by this decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman82 View Post
To tell you the truth, I think the laws should be changed to get rid of the "no-fault" divorce nonsense! When I hear a husband and wife say that they are divorcing but they can remain on good terms, I have to ask why they can't work out the problem; after all, if the problem were THAT bad that they could not be worked out, they wouldn't remain friends. And it is sad when a kid has to schedule his life around the question of "who has custody of me this weekend?" unnecssarily.
Unnecessarily? The adults in question have decided to part without dragging the family through a court hearing where someone must be "at fault", battle over the marital assets and custody, potentially damaging the relationships of the entire extended family. The state (aka the people) has decided that families figuring this out for themselves without lawyers getting a substantial portion of the assets is a better solution.

Dave
post #273 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 09:26 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Sportbike: Ask my wife
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: google

Quote:
BTW: The more anti-gay the statements and actions, the more sexually insecure the person. - proven fact! Psychologically healthy adults really don't worry about stranger's sex lives. Really.
Well said. I don't understand why it's an issue for people.

My Gear saved my life.

Click here for really good coffee
post #275 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZe Inc View Post
How does it not matter? Civil unions aren't the same as marriage in the eyes of the federal government. Things like Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, health insurance, Medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, and immigration law are all affected by this decision.
No argument on some of those points, but on others you're dead wrong. Fed law doesn't control hospital visitation, pensions, retirement saving or health insurance. Those are all controlled by state law or private agreement. Retirement savings can be left to whomever the descendant wishes, hospital visitation and decision making has already been addressed, health insurance covered by CA state civil union law.

As to state law (at least in Cali)
Quote:
IA California domestic partnership is a legal relationship available to same-sex couples, and to certain opposite-sex couples in which at least one party is at least 62 years of age. It affords the couple virtually all of the same substantive legal benefits and privileges, and imposes upon the couple all of the same legal obligations and duties, that California law affords to and imposes upon a married couple.
Quote:
SEC. 4. Section 297.5 is added to the Family Code, to read:
297.5. (a) Registered domestic partners shall have the same
rights, protections, and benefits, and shall be subject to the same
responsibilities, obligations, and duties under law, whether they
derive from statutes, administrative regulations, court rules,
government policies, common law, or any other provisions or sources
of law, as are granted to and imposed upon spouses.
Care to revise you're argument? And perhaps, cite something, instead of making incorrect statements of law? Maybe if you make the effort to back up what you assert, you'll learn something.

AS to the Fed law stuff, yes, it sucks for them. (more evidence that the Fed Gov't big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it all away) But it isn't anywhere near what african-americans suffered under segregation and jim crow. Maybe that's why blacks, particularly older ones, were so resoundingly against Prop 8. They heard the histrionics, and probably were insulted by the comparison.

Overstating the case: it destroys credibility.

Next up, even if Prop 8 passed, it wouldn't change any of the Fed law stuff because the Defense of Marriage Act, signed into law in '96 by Clinton, prevents it.

Prop 8 was pretty much symbolic, despite all the histrionics. Civil Unions already afforded most of the rights under state law, and Prop 8 wouldn't have changed anything under Fed law.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #276 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Yep, separate but equal. That's the american way.

Craig
post #277 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 PM
So long San Diego :(

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Since 07/01/06
How you found us: Your Mom told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
No argument on some of those points, but on others you're dead wrong. Fed law doesn't control hospital visitation, pensions, retirement saving or health insurance. Those are all controlled by state law or private agreement. Retirement savings can be left to whomever the descendant wishes, hospital visitation and decision making has already been addressed, health insurance covered by CA state civil union law.

As to state law (at least in Cali)

Care to revise you're argument? And perhaps, cite something, instead of making incorrect statements of law? Maybe if you make the effort to back up what you assert, you'll learn something.

AS to the Fed law stuff, yes, it sucks for them. (more evidence that the Fed Gov't big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it all away) But it isn't anywhere near what african-americans suffered under segregation and jim crow. Maybe that's why blacks, particularly older ones, were so resoundingly against Prop 8. They heard the histrionics, and probably were insulted by the comparison.

Overstating the case: it destroys credibility.

Next up, even if Prop 8 passed, it wouldn't change any of the Fed law stuff because the Defense of Marriage Act, signed into law in '96 by Clinton, prevents it.

Prop 8 was pretty much symbolic, despite all the histrionics. Civil Unions already afforded most of the rights under state law, and Prop 8 wouldn't have changed anything under Fed law.
Exactly right; in California civil unions receive all the same state given benefits and responsibilities as married couples.

Brandon
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

Kids in back seats cause accidents, Accidents in Back seats cause kids.
post #278 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #279 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto Bean View Post
Exactly right; in California civil unions receive all the same state given benefits and responsibilities as married couples.
And God help you if you cross a state line, because they are the same ONLY while you are within California. Yep, it's just the same as marriage.

Craig
post #280 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto Bean View Post
...and what rights do they have when they move to another state?

The same?

Honestly, answer the question.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #281 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
And God help you if you cross a state line, because they are the same ONLY while you are within California. Yep, it's just the same as marriage.
Damned 'Gotcha' Media.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #282 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #283 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

Olberman sucks!

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #284 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnat View Post
Olberman sucks!
So does Hannity

actually.. I like Olberman more than Hannity... His level of hatred just gets me all riled up.. He should be a football coach
post #285 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
So does Hannity

actually.. I like Olberman more than Hannity... His level of hatred just gets me all riled up.. He should be a football coach
They should lock both off them up in a basement to kick each others asses, cant stand either of them. Ill put my money on Hannity, Olbermans a Pussy.

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #286 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Irony helps us play!

Let's be honest, heterosexual married folk... Did this negatively impact your own marriage Today? Will it jeopardize the sanctity of your own marriage tomorrow, or the day after that?

http://www.wfsb.com/news/17962737/detail.html

...HARTFORD, Conn. -- Wedding bells rang over the heads of same-sex couples for the first time in Connecticut's history Wednesday.....

Less than two hours after a court ruling became official, Connecticut's first same-sex wedding took place in New Haven.

Having their names scribed in the state's history books are Peg Oliveira and Jennifer Vickery, of New Haven, who wed near a farmer's market next to New Haven City Hall. The couple said their vows and exchanged rings beneath the flashing of camera bulbs amid a crowd eager to witness the historic event.

"We are just so excited that it happened," said Oliveira. "We said, OK, let's go do it."

Corrine Blackmer and her partner, Pilar Steward, are planning for their wedding in May.

"We had a civil union, and now we can get married it's incredibly moving," Steward said. "Our wedding is going to be a Jewish wedding. We're inviting over 300 people to our wedding."br/>
Barbara Levine-Ritterman and her partner, Robin, were the first in line, filling out the brand-new marriage license application that allows same-sex marriages.

"I feel like my love for Robin is between us, and I have no need to change anybody else’s beliefs," Levine-Ritterman said.

Wednesday morning Judge Jonathan Silbert entered the final judgment, allowing for same-sex couples to marry in Connecticut. The ruling makes any law that prohibits marriage between same-sex couples illegal in the state.

State Rep. Beth Bye and her partner Tracy Wilson told Eyewitness News Tuesday night that they were hoping to be the first to turn their civil union into a legal marriage.

Wilson, a high school teacher and town historian, said she and Bye have been together for more than six years.

"We are very happy to join the world of the married -- the word has meaning, and it has meaning to us," she said. "We feel so lucky to be in Connecticut right now."

Only Connecticut and Massachusetts have legalized gay marriage. The unions were legal in California until last week when voters passed an amendment banning same-sex marriage. A few other states in the country have followed suit. Connecticut voters rejected a ballot question last week proposing a constitutional convention to amend the state's constitution, dealing a major blow to opponents of same-sex marriage.

State Rep. and co-chairman of the Connecticut General Assembly's Judiciary Committee, Mike Lawlor, lectured at the University of New Haven Tuesday night on the subject. He said it's obvious when he speaks about the issue in front of a classroom that people's attitudes are changing.

"I think that speaks a lot about us as a state -- we are open-minded. We embrace and show happy couples should have advantages. Now gay people will share what straight people have enjoyed for many, many years," he said.

The health department had new marriage applications printed that reflect the change. Instead of putting one name under "bride" and the other under "groom," couples will see two boxes marked "bride/groom/spouse."

Joseph Camposeo, Manchester's town clerk and president of the Connecticut Town Clerks Association, said they were notified by e-mail shortly after 9:30 a.m. to start issuing the licenses.

Connecticut's Supreme Court ruled 4-3 in favor of allowing gay marriage in an Oct. 10 decision spurred by a lawsuit filed by eight couples challenged a state law prohibiting gay marriages. Several of the suit's plaintiffs wept openly as Silbert made his ruling Wednesday.

According to studies performed out of UCLA, there are more than 9,500 same-sex couples in Connecticut.

The study said that if Connecticut follows a similar pattern to Massachusetts, about 3,000 same-sex couples will marry in the next year and 4,700 will likely wed after three years.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #287 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

yes
yes it did
honey
i want a divorce
post #288 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

2 states down, 48 to go

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #289 of 294 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Transcripts and audio from today's Supreme Court session.

Transcript: http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arg...ts/12-144a.pdf

Audio: http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arg...rgument=12-144

It will be interesting to see what they rule.

My first impression is that they will let the California Supreme Court decision to void Prop 8 stand, but not declare a that equal marriage is a right under the 14th Amendment and thus impose equal marriage on all 50 states. But we'll have to wait and see what comes out of the Court.

Craig
post #290 of 294 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 AM

Well, with today's US Supreme Court decision, this has played out pretty much as I expected from back in 2008.

Happy Pride everyone.

Craig
post #291 of 294 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 AM
Sgt USMC

Sportbike: 2006 GSX-R 750
Years Riding: Apr 2007
How you found us: Google

i wonder if they will USE this gift the way straight America has and respect the institution of divorce, too.

"I and the Public know, what all schoolchildren learn
Those to whom evil is done, do evil in return"
W. H. Auden
post #292 of 294 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Oh yea, the divorce lawyers are already making bank.

The divorce rate is part of the mainstream culture. As gays join it, it rubs off on them.

Craig
post #293 of 294 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
The right wing finally got what it wanted, less gay sex! Once all these gays get married the amount of gay sex will go down dramatically. That's how marriage works.

Chris
post #294 of 294 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Buy a Busa

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode