Ethanol Ruins Gas Tanks? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: Scout 67

Ethanol Ruins Gas Tanks?

So I am reading all these recalls for Ducati gas tanks because they are plastic but consumers are complaining about how there bikes are getting ruined too. This concerns me greatly. Does Ethanol ruin motors and plastic gas tanks?

Why do companies have to make plastic tanks? My Ninja has a metal tank. It hisses real loud when I park it kinda like a cat meowing but this is a well known issue, if you want to call it that. It doesn't bother me in the slightest bit. People drill holes to let it vent out but I don't want to be drilling holes in the gas tank.

I'm fairly certain all gas stations in IL have 10%, don't quote me on that though.

Reason I am so dang concerned is because in approximately 2 months I will sell my Ninja and get a Ducati. I would like a Monster to start out my new wedding life. Lol Does the 848 have a plastic tank too? That was another option or the 848 Streetfighter. I really like the way Ducati bikes look and sound.

Am I buying into crap or is this a serious threat / concern? Is it possible to get a bike and keep it for 10 years like I plan w/o worry. Really bothers me to the point I'm reading this stuff instead of sleeping.

Let me know what you guys think about the whole situation. I'm I just being paranoid?

The FZ8 is also an option and people are telling me to go Triumph because they are from what I hear great too. I want a bike with low down torque that I don't have to wind up like my Ninja but I do only have 19 whopping LBS. of TQ.

Last edited by LockDownMike; 05-15-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

Lots if cars these days have plastic fuel tanks. And rubber seals and aluminum engines. Just saying.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 AM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

I would not worry about it.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
I would not worry about it either. Aprilia is another bike that had issues with the swollen tanks, but I had no problems on mine for the 8 years of ownership.

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I know in the boating world the issue has been older fuel lines with the inner core deteriorating. The modern fuel lines are ethanol tolerant .

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

I had a Ducati GT1000 with a tank that failed ..... it spread and deformed a bit.

It was replaced under warranty .... no performance or engine problems.

I am sure Ducati will work it out in a short amount of time.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Right in my YZF750's manual it says "No more than 5% alcohol content" in the recommended fuels. Had to replace the fuel pump gasket due to using the 10% thats found in some areas. Thing was gooey. Luckily the carb gaskets didnt take the hit. Now I just use Kwik Trips 100% gasoline most the time.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Ethanol turns to shit much faster than gasoline. If you are going to let the machine sit for longer than a couple months dump the required amount of fuel stabilizer in the tank and fill the tank to the brim. Run the machine to get the stabil all in the system. The fuel will not turn to shit as fast. With stabil I have read it can stay good up to 2 or 3 years. After that it just starts to turn to goop.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM
auh
בעל השאלה

Sportbike: 2001 F4i
Years Riding: 5775 years and 6 days...wait, thats not right
How you found us: google

I've seen seafoam keep gas good for 2 years also on my friends bike
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

This is a real problem for owners of older bikes and it could get worse because the EPA is bent on authorizing ethanol content at 15%. The AMA is on top of this legislatively and lobbying Congress to not allow the EPA to do this.
Quite frankly we should all be letting Congress know that we shouldn't allow ANY alcohol in our fuel. It's done absolutely nothing to conserve energy OR to bolster our supply or stabilize prices. All it's really done is drive corn prices up (which farmers LOVE) which in turn has driven food prices up...It was all a sham to make big farmers happy.
As for how ethanol content may or may not be damaging your tank, lines and carbs/F.I. if your bike is older than 2002 don't let it sit long with fuel that has been untreated.
One other problem is the ethanol absorbs and holds water...water is heavier than gas so you COULD have a layer of water lurking in the bottom of your steel gas tank that could eventually cause rust and rust holes.
I could do an unbelievably long post on this with all kinds of info but, I'll just leave it at this...ethanol is not good for our vehicles, period. Do some research and let your legislators know how you feel!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
Right in my YZF750's manual it says "No more than 5% alcohol content" in the recommended fuels. Had to replace the fuel pump gasket due to using the 10% thats found in some areas. Thing was gooey. Luckily the carb gaskets didnt take the hit. Now I just use Kwik Trips 100% gasoline most the time.
that bike is so old the manual is written in hieroglyphics

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVMillenian View Post
I would not worry about it either. Aprilia is another bike that had issues with the swollen tanks, but I had no problems on mine for the 8 years of ownership.
I had major issues with my Tuono in this regard. I had the bike sitting out in the sun while camping a few years back and noticed gas dripping out of the overflow...looked up and in profile you could visibly see how much the tank had swollen. Opened the gas cap and it was like opening a brand new 2 liter of pop...pressurized air shot out and the whole tank sort of settled back in to the bike. Had to throw a towel over the thing or leave the gas cap open from there on out if I was close to a full tank of gas and was leaving it in the sun.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
This is a real problem for owners of older bikes and it could get worse because the EPA is bent on authorizing ethanol content at 15%. The AMA is on top of this legislatively and lobbying Congress to not allow the EPA to do this.
Quite frankly we should all be letting Congress know that we shouldn't allow ANY alcohol in our fuel. It's done absolutely nothing to conserve energy OR to bolster our supply or stabilize prices. All it's really done is drive corn prices up (which farmers LOVE) which in turn has driven food prices up...It was all a sham to make big farmers happy.
As for how ethanol content may or may not be damaging your tank, lines and carbs/F.I. if your bike is older than 2002 don't let it sit long with fuel that has been untreated.
One other problem is the ethanol absorbs and holds water...water is heavier than gas so you COULD have a layer of water lurking in the bottom of your steel gas tank that could eventually cause rust and rust holes.
I could do an unbelievably long post on this with all kinds of info but, I'll just leave it at this...ethanol is not good for our vehicles, period. Do some research and let your legislators know how you feel!
That and you get better mileage on 100% gas vs ethanol blend.

And Tony, at least I ride my bikes.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Well I've done some research and called up Ducati North America. The tanks are not made by Ducati they are made by Acerbis. They offer 5 years of total protection +1 I think. He says the 848 / 1198 are the least prone to this problem. I am going to test ride the 3 different bikes that I am considering next week. I sat on the 696, 796 (First time sitting on that one), and 848. 4 more weeks till I get married.

I really going off topic right now, but I just discovered the Corse SE 848. I really dig it.

I am short so I would have to lower the bike about an inch, I may try and ride it out for the first 600 miles and see if the suspension breaks in a bit. I can hold it up, its just my legs are stretched. It's also very race oriented (GO FIGURE) My ninja feels like touring bike in comparison in comfort.

This is a really shitty thing to say, but Ducati sells an aluminium gas tank but it's around 2K dollars, and it's not painted. It would be a sure shot cure to the issue.... not very logical. Ducati should give everyone who has a problem metal tank replacement. Perhaps down the road after warranty is up, I hope I am a fortunate and this does not happen. As I say to my friends "You can shit in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first".

I'm not even certain I'll purchase the 848, I may get the 696 fits me like a glove. Whatever happens I'll be sure to post an update. New future wife ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE CORSE. Nice to have someone on my team that loves guns, and bikes... if only she like gaming LOL.

Last edited by LockDownMike; 05-17-2012 at 09:30 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
Spot on.....I get all kinds of equipment with metal gas tanks that rust from the inside out. Premium gas has no ethanol. Maybe that is why Honda recommended only premium fuel for my 600RR. Several years ago snowmobile manufacturer's highly recommended the use of isopropyl alcohol as an additive with every tank of fuel. It will absorb the water and allow it to burn off. I've used it for over 30 years with great results.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchf View Post
Spot on.....I get all kinds of equipment with metal gas tanks that rust from the inside out. Premium gas has no ethanol. Maybe that is why Honda recommended only premium fuel for my 600RR. Several years ago snowmobile manufacturer's highly recommended the use of isopropyl alcohol as an additive with every tank of fuel. It will absorb the water and allow it to burn off. I've used it for over 30 years with great results.

Thanks, I needed a good joke today.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post

Thanks, I needed a good joke today.
So enlighten me!

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Silly question but do Sport bikes become less reliable if you don't ride them like they are meant to be ridden ex. track use? Do these things need to be whooped on or can you ride like a Sally and be alright?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDownMike View Post
Silly question but do Sport bikes become less reliable if you don't ride them like they are meant to be ridden ex. track use? Do these things need to be whooped on or can you ride like a Sally and be alright?
As long as they are ridden I wouldnt be worried. They dont have to be flogged all the time. Now just sitting for a couple years can create some issues.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 12:05 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchf View Post
So enlighten me!
1. If a gas station uses ethanol, it uses it in all grades of it, including premium

2. Why Honda recommends premium? It's not to avoid ethanol (see #1)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode